New subforum for other transforming robot toylines?

Problem? Question? Suggestion? Post it here.
Osku
Protoform

New subforum for other transforming robot toylines?

Post by Osku »

Just a thought as there are now several members who have shown interest in other toylines (Gobots, Convertors, Gundam etc.).

Now those threads a scattered over different subforums (other comics, toys, general, other?). The threads also get buried under more active threads and I've already had trouble finding some of the older threads.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Cool idea Osku -- I would be in favour of it being a sub-forum within the Animation, Manga & Comics section. But that’s just me. :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

GIVE ME GOBOT FORUM!

Seriously, I do think an "other toylines" forum would be good... maybe not transforming, so things like GI Joe and MOTU could fold in?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Cliffy, are you ever going to do non-Go-Bot updates to your site?

I'll be down with a Go-Bot forum as long as it's spelt Go-Bot and not Gobot.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Why? The toyline wasn't spelt like that... technically it's GoBot, but that's a pain to type... The Go-Bots thing only comes from literal-minded people looking at the "stacked" logo... cartoon series had it as "GOBOT". Go-Bot didn't appear on anything until the TF toys, I think.
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Cliffy, are you ever going to do non-Go-Bot updates to your site?

Yeh, some time :o

The whole idea of the site's format is it's got all the things I like on it, and I can wrok on whichever section I'm most obsessed with - a few months ago, it was mainly the comic section :)
inflatable dalek

Why? The toyline wasn't spelt like that... technically it's GoBot, but that's a pain to type... The Go-Bots thing only comes from literal-minded people looking at the "stacked" logo...
Yup, that makes it two words as far as I'm concerned. ;)
The whole idea of the site's format is it's got all the things I like on it, and I can wrok on whichever section I'm most obsessed with - a few months ago, it was mainly the comic section
I'm waiting for the season 3 Who reviews, it'll be interesting to see if your initialy high opinion of Martha in Smith and Jones has changed a lot.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
I'm waiting for the season 3 Who reviews, it'll be interesting to see if your initialy high opinion of Martha in Smith and Jones has changed a lot.

Aye, I'm waiting for time to sit down and re-watch them... I've got the bulk of the Gobot reviews in close to the way I want them, the rest of them should be relatively easy, with only a dozen or so to do from scratch and a few re-writes... Who Season 3 might start seeping through in the September update, as that and Tintin are the other things close to the top of my list.

Without, as I say, rewatching (I think the Cornell two-parter's the only thing I've watched aside from first broadcast), I think my rough evaluation of Martha will stay the same - as much as I mock Freema (and she wasn't brilliant), after the first episode character development, and just the routine scripting of Martha, dropped off massively. nobody seemed to really know what do to with her, and from memory she spent a fair portion of the episodes (Checkpoint, The Daleks Take Manhattan, 42) being all but written out of the action in favour of surrogate companions. The production team seemed to have zero faith in her, as did The Doctor, which is why the conclusion worked so badly, suddenly bringing her to the fore like that.
inflatable dalek

mind, watching Time Flight the other night made Last of the Time Lords look great. "I didn't know you had a New York stop over..." indeed.

To add to the lack of faith in Martha thing- I see that whilst John Simm has made the cover of the season boxset she hasn't...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Aye... it wouldn't surprise me if her Season 4 appearances end up being near-cameos. Like it or not, Tate's star-power, like Billie, will probably stop the same lack of service befalling Donna - it's a shame, as it means we're probably going to be onto the hit-and-miss ethos of celebrity companions now...
inflatable dalek

If Tennant does leave next year my Monies on Pipper being in his final episode somehow. Where she'll be more useful than Martha.

We need a Classic and Modern British TV sub forum as well.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Osku
Just a thought as there are now several members who have shown interest in other toylines (Gobots, Convertors, Gundam etc.).

Now those threads a scattered over different subforums (other comics, toys, general, other?). The threads also get buried under more active threads and I've already had trouble finding some of the older threads.
Sounds reasonable enough... um, would you (or someone else) have the time/patience to be a temporary global mod and move existing threads from the forums they're currently in if one was set up?

Also, how broad are we thinking here exactly? Just other robot toylines?

(Questions directed more widely than just at Osku.)

[edit] Without intending to be rude, there's a fairly short list of people who'd be considered for the temp global mod thing; i.e. if the admins haven't worked with you in the past, probably not gonna happen. [/edit]
Clay

Post by Clay »

Except that Osku's been MIA since he moved a couple months ago...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

How susceptible to pressganging are you feeling?

Actually, just a comprehensive list would do, but it's a lot quicker if whoever was looking could transfer stuff in a couple of clicks.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Oh, what the hell... pile it on!

It didn't take that long to get kitbash threads moved over. I did slack off once I hit threads that are years old and contain only broken picture links, though. A non-TF toy forum will take a bit longer if only because relavant threads are more scattered across different forums.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Done what I could see -- anything you can spot is a bonus. Maybe consider merging some of the similar threads?
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by Denyer
Done what I could see -- anything you can spot is a bonus. Maybe consider merging some of the similar threads?

Yeah... there are, what, seven different threads for gobots?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Thinking more the MOTU / LOTR threads that only got a handful of posts, and the ones with vague titles.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Why? The toyline wasn't spelt like that... technically it's GoBot, but that's a pain to type... The Go-Bots thing only comes from literal-minded people looking at the "stacked" logo... cartoon series had it as "GOBOT". Go-Bot didn't appear on anything until the TF toys, I think.

Stumbling late to the party, by the same token, it's "Trans Formers".
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Clay
Except that Osku's been MIA since he moved a couple months ago...

I've got a PM off him since, but that was a while ago... I've got a box of stuff for him too.

Actually, I'm sure I had a PM off him with his new address, but can't seem to find it. I'll try to find time to pop over to NTFA and see if anyone knows anything.