IDW January Solicitations

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
zigzagger

January Solicitations for IDW Transformers

Post by zigzagger »

January 2008 Solicitations for IDW Transformers titles has been posted over at CNI along with a few cover images for upcoming issues!
At the source

Transformers: The Animated Series, Vol. 1

The TRANSFORMERS Animated Series takes the concept of ROBOTS IN DISGUISE and reinvents it for an all-new generation of fans! And now the animated shows can be enjoyed in print, too—in the form of all-new books that use actual still frames from the new animated series to offer a unique reading experience for TRANSFORMERS fans of all ages. This first volume contains the entire 70-minute kick-off adventure!

TPB • FC • 5” x 7.5” • $7.99 • 96 Pages • ISBN: 978-1-60010-151-9

Transformers: The Animated Series, Vol. 2

In this second volume of the TRANSFORMERS ANIMATED SERIES, TRANSFORMERS fans can experience two complete episodes of the all-new animated series. The TRANSFORMERS have come to New Detroit, and nothing will ever be the same again! Volume two contains two stand-alone episodes of this exciting new show.

TPB • FC • 5” x 7.5” • $7.99 • 96 Pages • ISBN: 978-1-60010-152-6

The Transformers Spotlight: Blaster
Simon Furman (w); Emiliano Santalucia (a & c)

Presenting the latest standalone tale focusing on some of the best-loved (or loathed) characters from the Transformers Universe. The spotlight falls on BLASTER, the rousing, bombastic ‘voice’ of the Autobot counter-offensive. Long ago, that ‘voice’ was abruptly, mysteriously silenced, and now the truth about what happened to Blaster—and who betrayed him and the Autobots—is about to be revealed, with shocking consequences! By Simon Furman and, making his IDW TRANSFORMERS debut, artist Emiliano Santalucia (He-Man). Alex Milne provides a special retailer incentive cover.
*Retailers: See your order form for a special incentive

FC • 32 pages • $3.99
*Retailer Incentives: Order 10 copies, get one free variant Alex Milne cover

The Transformers: Devastation #5
Simon Furman (w); E.J. Su (a); Su, Nick Roche (c)

The fearsome Reapers (from Spotlight: Sixshot) make their move, targeting the Earthbound… DECEPTICONS? The Command Bunker in Oregon comes under all-out assault, and the loyalties of living weapon SIXSHOT are once more sorely tested. And, as the carnage mounts, STARSCREAM makes his move! Plus, HOT ROD vs. the HEADMASTERS, Hunter vs. The Machination, and OPTIMUS PRIME makes a fateful decision that will forever affect the future of planet Earth! Not to be missed under any circumstances! By writer Simon Furman with covers from E.J. Su and Nick Roche, and featuring the return of E.J. Su on interior art!

*2 regular covers will be shipped in a 1-to-1 ratio.
*Retailers: See your order form for special incentives
FC • $3.99 • 32 pages

*Retailer Incentive:
Order 10 copies, get one additional copy free.
Order 20 copies, get one variant Nick Roche sketch cover

The Transformers: Best of the UK: Dinobots #5 (of 6)
Simon Furman (w); Will Simpson (a); Nick Roche, Retro Art (c)

A new chapter of DINOBOT lore continues with the second part of “In The National Interest.” The government and the DECEPTICONS both want Joy Meadows… and only a certain DINOBOT stands between them in this classic Simon Furman tale. Nick Roche once again provides an all-new cover re-creating a classic scene from the issue!

*2 regular covers will be shipped in a 1-to-1 ratio.
*Retailers: See your order form for special incentives
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

*Retailer Incentives:
Order 10 copies, get one free “retro art” variant cover
Order 15 copies, get one free Nick Roche sketch cover

Classic Transformers, Vol. 1 TPB
Budiansky, more (w); Perlin, more (a)

Relive the original TRANSFORMERS stories that started it all! Presenting over 300 pages of classic TRANSFORMERS comic book stories in one affordable volume. Pulling from the earliest of the ‘80s Marvel material, this first volume offers some of the most beloved stories from the past, including the seminal “The Last Stand,” “The Worse of Two Evils,” “I, Robot Master,” and many others. The TRANSFORMERS have undergone many changes over their 20-plus year reign over pop culture, but this retro, black and white collection showcases the beginnings of their dynasty.

TPB • B&W • 6.625” x 10.187” • $19.99 • 312 pages • ISBN: 978-1-60010-147-2

The Transformers: Target: 2006 TPB
Simon Furman (w); Geoff Senior, Jeff Anderson, more (a); Nick Roche (c)

Collecting the landmark series originally published by Marvel UK! Spun from the story spinning out of the TRANSFORMERS Animated Movie, writer Simon Furman and artists Geoff Senior and Jeff Anderson recount a stars-spanning tale where GALVATRON travels back in time to construct a weapon with which to destroy UNICRON once and for all, and takes on the depleted AUTOBOTS at the same time! It’s a battle that will test all but the most stalwart allegiances. Topping off this collection is a cover gallery featuring the classic cover recreations by Nick Roche.

TPB • FC • 6.625” x 10.187” • $19.99 • 128 pages • ISBN: 978-1-60010-148-9
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Oddly missed this post first time around...

So they're doing the Marvel US stuff in order in a big honking series of books? It's about bloody time. Hopefully that's just a palceholder cover... Hang on a sec, Black and White? No Yomotov? Brilliant!
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Oddly missed this post first time around...

So they're doing the Marvel US stuff in order in a big honking series of books? It's about bloody time.

Well presuming it's in order, those who bought IDW's baffling Generations series will have great fun reading the same stories again -- especially "Shooting Star!" and "Rock and Roll-Out!"
-Alex???
inflatable dalek

Well, the B&W format suggests it's aimed at the Marvel Essentials style market of people who wouldn't normally pick up a TF trade but would for a dirt cheap huge one. Exactly the sort of thing that would have been ideal to release when the film came out...
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Not having a pop at this -- it's Generations I have a problem with. Though, I'd hope that if they can reprint the late Marvel stuff, they reprint it in colour. Yeah, I know it would be a bit odd to have some colour and some non-colour reprints, but it'd be a shame to see those issues reprinted solely in B&W.
-Alex???
inflatable dalek

Perhaps a limited edition colour hardback version for the true fan? What would be really nice would be if they reprint everything in order, US/UK in one book series.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Perhaps a limited edition colour hardback version for the true fan?
Don't give them any ideas...
What would be really nice would be if they reprint everything in order, US/UK in one book series.

Indeed. :)
-Alex???
inflatable dalek

Or at least put Wrath of Grimlock out as Best of the UK: The Dinobots issue. Or did colour versions of the B&W strips. Or shot Eric Holmes.
Aardvark

Apologies if I sound overly critical

Post by Aardvark »

Or shot Eric Holmes.

To be fair to Holmes, I believe it was his first official writing gig -- not that that excuses the poor writing (IMO... with no offense intended). I'd blame whoever thought it would be a good idea to allow an untested, inexperienced, video game designer to write a 4-issue series that was originally pitched as a 6-issue series to a different company who had a completely different style and continuity. Also, the silly cameos are supposedly down to Milne, and Furman deserves a bit of lashing for not doing a particularly good job at overseeing the project.
-Alex???
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Aardvark
To be fair to Holmes, I believe it was his first official writing gig -- not that that excuses the poor writing (IMO... with no offense intended).
Well, can't they at least maim him then? [Actually, someone from Transfans mentioned a statement from Holmes offering his excuses, does anyone have a link?]
Furman deserves a bit of lashing for not doing a particularly good job at overseeing the project.

In fairness though, if the continuity screw up stuff (fembots, Orion Pax...) was soley down to the artist none of that would have been in the script Furman cast his eye on. Though he could have had the guts to at least say "that's a bit ****e isn't it?", I suspect the more less good the other writters are the more secure his own position is (cynical, moi?).
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Hang on a sec, Black and White? No Yomotov? Brilliant!
From what we've seen so far, IDW's idea of "black and white" is true only in the technical sense that grayscale is made up of black dots on a white background...

Maybe they'll use different filters on this, but I tend to doubt it.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Though he could have had the guts to at least say "that's a bit ****e isn't it?"
Pretty much. Doesn't help that not only is the story unoriginal, it's mimicking stuff Furman wrote himself. But of course there's stuff like Grimlock and Soundwave talking like their cartoon counterparts, most of the Autobots from the "-ation" titles just so happen to know/ encounter each other before the war. Not to mention that stylistically, it really doesn't feel like an IDW comic -- oh, and the rubsigns. Oh Lord, the rubsigns.
-Alex???
inflatable dalek

And the sexy fembot signs. And Megatron having no personality. And on and on and Ariston...
Originally posted by Denyer
From what we've seen so far, IDW's idea of "black and white" is true only in the technical sense that grayscale is made up of black dots on a white background...

Maybe they'll use different filters on this, but I tend to doubt it.

Perhaps they could get the original masters off Marvel in exchange for letting them piss all over their main continuity?

Hmm, the middle of the year was a bit crap comics wise wasn't it?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Perhaps they could get the original masters off Marvel
Sold by artists over the years. I doubt Marvel kept intermediary stage copies, especially for a non-originated comic.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Denyer
Sold by artists over the years. I doubt Marvel kept intermediary stage copies, especially for a non-originated comic.

Well, perhaps they could let Panini do a crap tie in as well? They seem to have kept every bit of paper to ever go through the office despite changing location several times...