[Power Rangers] Did anyone here know about this earlier?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Civ

Did anyone here know about this earlier?

Post by Civ »

I was chatting with G91 on AIM and the subject of The Mighty Morphing Power Rangers came up. I then found out that the actress who played the Yellow Ranger, Thuy Trang, died on September 3, 2001 due to a car accident. I had no clue this even occurred and I've already shocked two admins with this news, so I have to wonder how many people on TFA knew about this.

I have to admit that this bit of old news really sucks. I watched the first season of MMPR back when I was younger and she was one of my favorites.

Side Note: If this has already been talked about, then I'm sorry. I did about six or seven different searches and didn't come up with anything.
Thanks, Zeeks! Great job! :up:
axio
Protoform

Post by axio »

Thuy Trang was born on December 3rd, 1973 in Hanoi Vietnam. At the age of two Thuy and her family had to escape Hanoi because Vietcong forces were invading their homeland. In 1979 Thuy and her family boarded a cargo ship with other refugees to head to America. In 1993, Thuy got her first big break when she landed the role of Trini Kwan on the hit TV series, "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers" (1993). Thuy left the show in 1994 to pursue other projects. After a cameo as a masseuse in Spy Hard (1996), Thuy got her first leading role as Kali in The Crow: City of Angels (1996). The film was unsuccessful critically and commercially and was disappointing compared to the first film. Tragically, on September 3rd 2001, Thuy was driving on the I-5 and was hit by another car and was killed on impact. She leaves behind only a small body of work and yet she still had a career ahead of her. Thuy Trang will be missed by many.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0870962/

On a side note, I can't believe that power rangers is STILL going on.
Chromia

Post by Chromia »

Yeah, I heard about this a while back.

My my kids wanted to go to a MMPR live show here in Columbus, but they had announced that the "yellow ranger" would not be there for this reason.

It just about broke thier hearts.
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

Yeah, it sucks that Thuy Trang died. She had a more promising career than some Power Rangers have had.

Jason David Frank (the guy who played Tommy in the original MMPR) has reprised his former role for the new 'Dino Thunder' series after some less than sterling work in more 'adult' fields.

Walter Jones (Zack) was in 'The Shield' for a time, but I don't know of any other projects he has/is/might be involved in.

Amy Jo Johnson (Kimberly) has appeared in some rather dreary made-for-TV movies.

David Yost & Austin St. John (Billy and Jason, respectively) I honestly don't have a clue about.

But some of the later Rangers have faired little better.... wait a second. Aw, crap... I've just given some Channel 5 executive an idea for 'The Curse Of Power Rangers'....
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Originally posted by Wolfang
Walter Jones (Zack) was in 'The Shield' for a time, but I don't know of any other projects he has/is/might be involved in.
Well, I know for a fact he appeared in the Buffy episode "Fear, Itself" as Random Fratboy.
Amy Jo Johnson (Kimberly) has appeared in some rather dreary made-for-TV movies.
She was also in Felicity, as I recall.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Yeah I knew about this. I can't help but like Power Rangers. I know it's bad, and cheesy, but it's also compelling in a way I can't explain. However, I thought Dino Thunder was a really excellent show on the whole.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Thefallenone
Protoform

Post by Thefallenone »

i found out about it in Power Rangers Time Force one of the last Episodes. it said "In Memory Of Thuy Trang" right at the End-has anyone seen the Second Pink Ranger "Kat" in anything??:confused:
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0840059/

IMDB is your friend.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Thefallenone
Protoform

Post by Thefallenone »

thanks Sixswitch:D
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

Poer Rangers shows, on the whole, have some great ideas but lack the ingenuity to display them properly.
Maraudermus Prime 2
Protoform

Post by Maraudermus Prime 2 »

ouch...:eek:
FANTASTIC!
Maraudermus Prime 2
Protoform

Post by Maraudermus Prime 2 »

I never knew.
I remember seeing the first and second season, and a few other "realities", so I'm shocked!
FANTASTIC!
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

knew about this a while ago, used to love power rangers, now it largely sucks, bar the amazing episode of Forever Red.... man that ruled immensely
Seerus Nalaius
Protoform

Post by Seerus Nalaius »

your best bet for Ranger info would be the Power Ranger section on [url]http://www.tvtome.com,[/url] it has all the rangers and actors listed there and says what they have done before and after being involved in the show.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Re: Did anyone here know about this earlier?

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Originally posted by Civ
I was chatting with G91 on AIM and the subject of The Mighty Morphing Power Rangers came up. I then found out that the actress who played the Yellow Ranger, Thuy Trang, died on September 3, 2001 due to a car accident. I had no clue this even occurred and I've already shocked two admins with this news, so I have to wonder how many people on TFA knew about this.

I have to admit that this bit of old news really sucks. I watched the first season of MMPR back when I was younger and she was one of my favorites.

Side Note: If this has already been talked about, then I'm sorry. I did about six or seven different searches and didn't come up with anything.

I heard about shortly after 9/11 attacks.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Originally posted by CounterPunch
knew about this a while ago, used to love power rangers, now it largely sucks, bar the amazing episode of Forever Red.... man that ruled immensely

Forever Red was crap. Sure I enjoyed it from a fanboy/nostalgic perspective, but it could have been so much better. Dino Thunder I feel is the best Power Rangers season. I thoroughly enjoyed that.

I'm in the process of obtaining as many episodes as I can - Currently I'm after Power Rangers Turbo.

-Ss
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

I loved Power Rangers Time Force. I was very excited when TV-Nihon announced they were fansubbing Mirai Sentai Timeranger (the original show PRTF was based on). They're working on several other Sentai series as well; they're definitely worth a look.
Seerus Nalaius
Protoform

Post by Seerus Nalaius »

Dinothunder was actually pretty good to my surprise, but I just wish they would just start releasing boxsets of the first few seasons. I know I'm not the only one who would snap them up in a flash. Heck, I'd love to see Zyuranger (MMPR original japanese show) too, just to see how it was supposed to go.
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

Have to admit, there are some Ranger shows I wouldn't mind them bringing out on DVD:

- First few seasons (MMPR)
- Power Rangers In Space
- Wild Force (because there's a Lunar Wolf Ranger)
- Dino Thunder (they're releasing this on DVD and it's pretty good)

Hmmm.... I'm gonna have to take to downloading methinks....
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."