Universe "Special Edition" Optimus Prime, Megatron, Drag Strip and Overkill - shipping now

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Nevermore

Universe "Special Edition" Optimus Prime, Megatron, Drag Strip and Overkill - shipping now

Post by Nevermore »

Prime and Megs in STUNNING packaging.

Too bad they're those shitty "Ultimate Battle" molds again.

Drag Strip and Overkill are depicted as "also available". They're the Classics Mirage and Grimlock molds.

http://www.actoys.net/bbs/read.php?tid-297011.html

Mirrored:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/b ... ion_01.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/b ... ion_02.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/b ... ion_03.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/b ... ion_04.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/b ... ion_05.jpg
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Overkill? Really? Holy crap, with Ratbat and Laserbeak and Rumble and Ravage so many Cassetticons are being released.

The only ones that draw me in is Megatron and Drag Strip though.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Stunning packaging and plastic bubbles are not compatible concepts. I can see they're trying to elbow in on the Gundam market a little there, but that look is just a little dull... Best TF packaging is still the Takara collection stuff.

And didn't they have a Legends mould or something they could've used for Overkill? A Deluxe can't be permanently stuck mini-size, a la his tech spec :(
grimlockprime108
Protoform

Post by grimlockprime108 »

Cliffjumper wrote:Stunning packaging and plastic bubbles are not compatible concepts. I can see they're trying to elbow in on the Gundam market a little there, but that look is just a little dull... Best TF packaging is still the Takara collection stuff.

And didn't they have a Legends mould or something they could've used for Overkill? A Deluxe can't be permanently stuck mini-size, a la his tech spec :(
according to the timelines version(the one this is based on)the t-rex body is more of a transector body that overkill controls in his cassette form
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

grimlockprime108 wrote:the one this is based on
More likely the other way around -- Hasbro doesn't generally plan its release schedules around a few hundred people.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Nice. I'll finally be able to get the Tank Megs without resorting to a two-pack!. :up:

I'll definitely get dragstrip, but will have to see Overkill first.

EDIT: Any word on when these are being released/are they exclusives/will the fancy-pants-packed figures still be sold in the deluxe pricepoint? I can't read [what I'm assuming are] Japanese characters. Thanks.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Hard to say if Hasbro is going to further the Overkill idea from the convention bio or not... wouldn't seem all that likely, but I wouldn't have expected Overkill in the first place.

Megs looks nice, and I'm curious about Drag Strip.. but the packaging makes me wonder if there's something else involved. These are just 'deluxe' figures, after all (and Megs / Prime barely qualify)... is there something new about their paint? Are they 'collector's runs' or something? Odd.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The packaging's tarted up to muscle in on older fans, by the looks of it. I suppose anything looks better than a damn blister card...
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Cliffjumper wrote:The packaging's tarted up to muscle in on older fans, by the looks of it. I suppose anything looks better than a damn blister card...
For guys who care about the packaging and want the whole 'MIB' thing, I suppose. I'm personally one of those guys that, when I do buy a toy, actually wants the toy... so the packaging is a early victim of my avarice. The 'MIB' collector was always an alien mindset to me.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Cliffjumper wrote:The packaging's tarted up to muscle in on older fans, by the looks of it. I suppose anything looks better than a damn blister card...
The one gripe I usually have is about those damn twist ties. It's a pain in the arse to try to untie them, and even clipping them gets tiresome. Doesn't look like they have them on these premium figures so hopefully they don't pu them on.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I dunno, I think it's more going for the display stuff - I'm rarely fussed about TF packaging (and certainly not keeping it sealed) but I do like a box that's a) well-designed to hold the figure and any accessories neatly b) sturdy enough to stand up to being constantly opened and closed while the figure's being removed or put away and c) looks good... Only the Takara '"Dreamwave" reissues have half-managed that (and they had a plastic tray... styrofoam with a thin card liner, a la Soul of Chogokin, would have been much nicer). The Hasbro ones just looked tackier (the 1980s scheme just didn't look good on that scale with so little breaking the grid up), and seemed to be made of flimsier packaging (and what felt like very single one had some sort of modified name).

Boxes, as in actual boxes, can be a nice, convenient way of storing figures. It's just very rarely realised. I'm very much a play person, be it a Spychanger or a giant Voltron, but only have limited space that isn't a dust magnet - it's nice to be able to put them into something designed for the figures, as there's less chance of breakage that way (especially if we're talking brittle 1970s/1980s stuff). It also stops me from leaving expensive detailed stuff that gets dusty and stays dusty lying around for weeks...

But this new stuff is mainly to appeal to people who want something that can sit on a home entertainment system - a deliberate attempt to pitch the figures as adult (as in adult-that-appeals-to-12/15-year-olds... a bit like AHM) collectable action figures rather than kids' toys.

And I maintain that Overkill needs to be about 3" tall at the most. That said, I think it's a case of "We need a recolour of the Grimlock mould; who was a T Rex apart from BW Megs?". IIRC, he's the only other "G1" option, and BW Megatron really does look far too different (i.e. he's Megatron, and people will actually notice this) for a straight recolour to be an option. Which of the Classics 1 Deluxe moulds haven't been recoloured yet? OTTOMH, it's Megatron and Astrotrain, yeh? Megatron might get away with it, especially now there's a proper Galvatron - they might do something mad like a silver one (though toy safety laws might encroach)... Astrotrain also would be tricky... you can come up with something close enough for the shuttle mode (they could probably claim basically anyone who turned into a jet), it'd be the sensible rationale for them also being a train that'd be difficult.

Never saw what the big problem with the two-pack moulds was... neither are fantastic, but I prefer them to either of the proper 'Classic' leaders (on looks, anyway).
Clay

Post by Clay »

Cliffjumper wrote:And I maintain that Overkill needs to be about 3" tall at the most. That said, I think it's a case of "We need a recolour of the Grimlock mould; who was a T Rex apart from BW Megs?". IIRC, he's the only other "G1" option, and BW Megatron really does look far too different (i.e. he's Megatron, and people will actually notice this) for a straight recolour to be an option.
There's also Trypticon, maybe, but the Botcon folk already did that, and it wasn't spectacular.
Which of the Classics 1 Deluxe moulds haven't been recoloured yet? OTTOMH, it's Megatron and Astrotrain, yeh?
Not counting convention exclusive toys, I think Rodimus is likewise unused.

The simplest way to reuse Astrotrain is to acknowledge that he has about three different decos: original 1985 Hasbro toy deco, aborted white Diaclone deco (Classics release is closest to this), and the cartoon deco.
Never saw what the big problem with the two-pack moulds was... neither are fantastic, but I prefer them to either of the proper 'Classic' leaders (on looks, anyway).
The Prime is lackluster, but the problem with the tank Megatron is that would be a terrific version if it just had two hands, or at least a gun-hand that was sensible instead of the twirly claw nonsense.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Cliffjumper wrote:... Astrotrain also would be tricky... you can come up with something close enough for the shuttle mode (they could probably claim basically anyone who turned into a jet), it'd be the sensible rationale for them also being a train that'd be difficult.(on looks, anyway).
I'd probably do Blast-Off and ignore the train mode, or come up with some silly "Yeah. He totally had a train mode . . . you just weren't paying attention" crap explaination.

Maybe they'd have to call him Movor if they don't have the name, but if I were told to come up with a repaint for Astrotrain (I don't really care for the mold all that much tbh so they'd have to tell me to reuse the mold) my first thought is definitely space shuttle combaticon.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

So apparently they were originally intended for the Asian market, but are now also going to be available via Hasbro Toy Shop.

Optimus Prime
Megatron
Overkill

(no listing for Drag Strip yet)

And apparently they're also going to be available in Australia, AND Hasbro Australia already confirmed the next ones... Premium CLiffjumper, red Mirage and Nemesis Prime.
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost. ... stcount=21

Information overkill, head asplode.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Hmmmm . . . kinda hoping for a retail release+$16 before shipping=fail

Who am I kidding, though? I'll probably get Megs and Drag Strip. Overkill looks so/so.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Ah... at last the Drag Strip Mirage repaint...

I look forward to seeing it, although Fracture/Crasher was far more appealing to me (not found at affordable price as yet).

Megs looks nice, but I don't like that mould - I still maintain that G2 Hero Megs / Archforce did it better, simpler. That bizarre twirly hand thing is just plain silly.

Prime is a poor show - and the mould was bad to begin with. Robot Masters G1 Convoy does it far better.

Overkill is, erm, overkill. The mould just isn't right, and the paint job is not inventive enough for the huge increase in scale. Legends Class, though... That'd be cool!

I'll be interested to see what 'Premium Cliffjumper' equates to, though!

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'd settle for a Cliffjumper just without the silver paint apps. Not because they're nothing like the G1 version or anything like that, but simply because they looked awful - plain red wouldn't even have looked too spartan as it would have contrasted to Bumblebee's rather more tasteful white deco.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Premium figures don't end up being Henkei, TBH - how's that doing in Japan? Are there piles of overstock lying around or anything?
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Man, Kyde is really a c****tease.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Who?
Nevermore wrote:Information overkill, head asplode.
To be fair, Overkill was never that good at spying anyway...
numbat

Post by numbat »

Denyer wrote:Who?

To be fair, Overkill was never that good at spying anyway...
Harsh man... He tried his best...

;)

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.