MP Lambor/Sideswipe

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
The Reverend

MP Lambor/Sideswipe

Post by The Reverend »

My wife wants to get me one, but having been burned enough by Takara I said hold off and lets see how badly they ****ed this one up.

Watching video reviews now. So far the design is lauded as "simpler", "clean", et al. The figure is notably small.

More damning, also seeing reports of misassembly and a bad, bubbling paint job. :(
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'm holding out for a Hasbro release. I realise paint ops and the like will possibly be simpler but for anything big ticket I do not trust Takara - I want the option of being able to take this thing back to the shop if the quality control's crap rather than having to post it across to Japan.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Haven't seen any issues on this one, although Takara's not known for consistency. There aren't many paint apps in the first place. The mould's Alternator-sized as a robot, which was the prospect going in (boxed smaller than Binaltech/Alternators, which makes me think it relatively unlikely Hasbro will add a huge box like they did with Rodimus to jack the price point.)

Using sellers who check their stock should be fine, although cost-wise people are better holding on for a Western release.
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

I keep hearing about Lambors completely missing their codpieces.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Denyer wrote:The mould's Alternator-sized as a robot
He's way smaller than Alternators Sideswipe. As best as I can tell he's about half-way between the Alternator and Universe molds, and maybe even closer to the latter than the former. There's no way he's anywhere close to 1:24 scale, which is probably a good thing because such a simple design might look ridiculous if it was any bigger. I'm disappointed though, because I was hoping for a good Sideswipe and/or Red Alert that wouldn't look silly on the same shelf as my existing big cars.

Are his tires plastic instead of rubber? They look like it in the pics I've seen. If so, that's a real shame.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Smaller in alt-mode, but basically eye-level with the Smokescreen mould.

Tyres are plastic, as you say. No strong feeling either way on that one.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

I just found some pictures of the comparison.

Robot mode with Classics.

Alt mode with Alternators and Classics.

Sideswipes roundup. Gee.............
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Denyer wrote:Smaller in alt-mode, but basically eye-level with the Smokescreen mould.
Thanks for the pic. :) That doesn't look too bad, actually. He's obviously got a lot less mass than Smokey, but you could probably fudge that with creative posing. Obviously it's been a long time since I've had Alt Sideswipe out, because I don't remember him being any taller than Smokescreen.

I still wouldn't pay Takara prices for it, or even what Hasbro sold MP Rodimus for, but he's small enough that the asking price might not be too obscene when he eventually gets a western release. Now, to hope for a Hasbro Red Alert with lovely toy-accurate colours instead of the inevitable fugly cartoon ones Takara will use...
Denyer wrote:Tyres are plastic, as you say. No strong feeling either way on that one.
I've always been a fan of rubber tires. I'm usually not hugely bothered if a figure doesn't have them, but on a premium item like this I think it's kinda shabby to use plastic. Especially since all the other Masterpieces and Alternators do have them.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

There's an easy way to convince someone whether MP Lambor is any good or not - just compare it to the previous MPs. Is it more like MP Grimlock, MP Megatron or MP Rodimus?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Will give you a slightly more considered opinion when I've got my hands on Megs (found a used repaired one; it's almost like being a kid again -- the original Megs I got off a friend was also held together with glue) but the answer's going to be Grimlock...

Rodimus (in the packaging, at least) really didn't impress.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

MP Rodimus is good as long as you never, ever attempt to transform or play with it. And even then you run the risk of his shoulders or knees randomly and irreparably exploding on you. Which is a shame, because it's as close to a spot-on perfect physical representation of Hot Rod's cartoon model as we're ever going to get. He's just really, really over-engineered.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Well, Rodimus has the distinction of having three out of four releases with QC flaws.

V1: Lots of problems, screws instead of flat pins on leg panels causing them to eat off the plastic in the first transformation, very loose handling of the guns in the arms, problems with the backpack having clearance to snap on his back...I think that's that.

Hasbro: SOME of them have the pins on his shoulders inserted in so wrong that the arm snaps off without provocation, even MISB. Thankfully mine doesn't have it and I've transformed it over 20 times.

Black Takara: I think it's safe to say that due to a problem with extremely tight friction on the ratchet joints, both knees will just break off when moved. And I mean on ALL OF THEM.

I lucked out and found a random restock on HLJ for Sideswipe, so got one on my private warehouse with MP Convoy.

From pictures\reviews and whatnot, I'd place him closer to MP Grimlock for simplicity than Hot Rod\Megatron.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Ten minute verdict: Megs is okay as long as you bear in mind that it's a retread of the original (complete with stupidly ****ing big fusion cannon) and that Hasbro should have used the Browning mould if they wanted a gun and either ignored the size difference versus Prime or upscaled it...
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Definitely want to get the Hasbro version. Looks like a pretty good figure overall.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Archer himself said that a US edition might not be valid for quite some time as there's too much negotiating involved for the licensing...

Got Red Alert on my Private Warehouse at hlj, along with some gundam markers. I think I'll wait until Soundwave comes out to ship him though.
Gouki

Post by Gouki »

Anybody got a size comparison with Sideswipe and the other MPs (rather than Alternators)? Preferably Grimlock.
"Give into the Demon inside... Shun Goku Sattsu!"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The top of SS's shoulders is level with the top of Grimmy's waist bar in robot mode.

And then everything's dwarfed by MP Prime / Megs.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Best I can do with some MPs\MP-like releases.

Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Criminy! I didn't realize how small the Masterpieces are getting! That's kind of nuts at that price.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Once you have them all like that, they gain a charm of a more unified toyline versus standalone releases. While the stupid exchange rates ruin it for the rest of the world, MP Sideswipe is a third of MP Grimlock's price, and so on.