LITG rumors about TF movie, second movie and new cartoon

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Nevermore

LITG rumors about TF movie, second movie and new cartoon

Post by Nevermore »

http://www.comicbookresources.com/colum ... ticle=2756
ROBOTS IN DIS GUISE

"Transformers 2" is being prepped for 2009, as is a new cartoon series to spin off the upcoming movie.

The reason given to licensors as to why the robots look so different in the film is so that hardcore fans will stay loyal and keep buying the old toys, which they're relaunching, even if they hate the new movie.

Licensing has explicitly stated that companies doing merchandising have to avoid doing anything too similar to the original Transformers line, so as not to mix the two separate and profitable properties.
Traffic light has a yellow light, which means it's not 100% certain if it's true.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I wouldn't be surprised if they're aiming for two divergent markets.

On the other hand, his informant might be a fan speculator.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

I've heard the 'split market' thing before, but it would surprise me a bit - I wouldn't think that Hasbro would publically admit that they're prepping for all those guys who are going to hate the movie - while simultaneously pushing licensors to sign on for next year's sequel.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, that's a Hell of a simplification, isn't it? I mean, there's more than a grain of truth, and the number of TF fans (as in ones who post on boards and the like) who won't, say, buy at least one ticket is probably very small - I mean, most people are going to want to be able to slag the thing with authority, at least, simply to cut off the "Come back and slate the thing when you've seen it" line of defence... Can't see that applying too much to the toyline, TPB... by the time we've actually got the movie, people are going to have seen so many bloody shots of Movie Op that they feel like they own the thing anyway, which means the curiosity market for something like that will be much smaller (mind, I expect few of us will escape them for birthday/Xmas presents...), but I can't imagine Hasbro putting it like that - more something like the fanbase will remain largely loyal despite the changes (exec cites success of various reboots down the years, most dismissed as sacrilege by vocal minority who didn't put much of a dent in overall sales).

What am I on about?
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Well, I'm personally not going to the movie nor buying any of the movie specific toys (the only one I'm getting is the Real Gear Camera to sub as my 'Classics Reflector'). But, I'm not organizing a boycott or anything, it just looks like crap to me (sadly, reinforced with everything new that I see on it) - but it's completely a matter of opinion.

I don't see Hasbro saying "We're spending nearly a billion dollars on this movie and its licensing, but since Vance on some message boards doesn't seem to like it, let's split our market by having a THIRD line in 2008-2009 just to cater to him."
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
What am I on about?
DivX?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Denyer
DivX?

Could be...
NullVoid
Protoform

Post by NullVoid »

Wow... Cliffjumper it took me like 20minutes to figure out what you where saying and I still don't completly know! Anyways I think the Movie line will have to die pretty quick, because how many toys can you release from a 2.5 hour movie? And if they release recolours they are complete tools! I'm really hoping the Heroes lin is something like the stars of the energon line because the good ones where hella good! *cough*scorpinok*cough*
I know I don't have much, but this is MY transformers collection alone.
Sideways.Cybertron
BumbleBee.DeluxeClassics
Astrotrain.DeluxeClassics
HotRod.DeluxeClassics

BTW: I have had transformers all my life but most of them have been lost as I had the most Transformers ages 4-7.