to everyone

Problem? Question? Suggestion? Post it here.
Corvus Corax
Protoform

to everyone

Post by Corvus Corax »

flame me all you want for what i am about to say, but i atleast hope some of you will think about it first.

i don't look at the original cartoon series as fantastic itself, it is the concept that still appeals to me today so much... i know it was far from perfect, and i have NEVER claimed it was. it is true that is was somewhat a glorified long tv comercial.. but then again so were all the other cartoons at the time... look at gi joe.. that was even worse!

i came to this forum to hopefully have fun and stuff talking to other fans of the transformers, and i am not talking just about the cartoon i grew up with, and my kids (going on 10 and 13) wanted to find a place to talk too...

so far they haven't been able to read a single post, i will not let them near the computer. i don't want to have to explain to a 9 yrs old why someone on here said (verbatim) <wrong word used(corrected just to make cliffjumper happy)

"people that think g1 is the best should be put in a room with all 16 episodes on reruns till their brains turn to slime with no air to suffocate to death",

when he loves the movie and old series. (they both like beastwars too btw, as do i). a 9 years old doesn't see the cliches and mistakes we do and say "oh what a crappy cartoon", some do, but not all of them.

you guys might want to think about the responses and such to posts about what is essentially a KIDS cartoon both in the 80's and now. kids will find and are looking at this forum.

okay flame me all you want now.

ps: i never in any part of this post said i was the perfect angel, nor have i claimed to be.
The Celts do not fear death, for us it is only the path to the other land.

Optimus Prime: Laserbeak, you tinfoil turkey!

http://www.ceyllynn.com
Cliffjumper

Re: to everyone

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Corvus Corax

"people that think g1 is the best should be put in a room with all 16 episodes on reruns till their brains turn to slime with no air to suffocate to death"

Do you actually know what "verbatim" means?

No, you don't.

Now, stop crying like a baby. You quoted something inaccurately and out of context. Most of the flames you refer to have been caused by your own stupidity. I doubt anyone's going to give you much sympathy.

Also, the board has never been specifically aimed at children. This is why those under a certain age need parental consent forms.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Cliffjumper already covered the bit that this isn't a forum aimed towards children and I hardly think it's fair to force the 95% of the regular posting body to censor themselves for the 5% that is under 18, much less the even smaller percentage of that who aren't able to handle mature (or mature-language) discussions.

The quote above is very likely way out of context and I would like to think that most kids these days understand basic sarcasm.

Oh, and that avatar kicks ass Cliffy!
Arcee
Protoform

Post by Arcee »

That's not the point. The point is that we maybe, just maybe, could do with a little less personal attacks here.

Like I said in the other thread -
Whatever happened to debating with respect for the other person, even if you don't share her opinion? (I'm saying this to everyone, not just you, Cliffy.) Can we really not do without the ad hominems?

I have to say that atm, the Archive makes me sad. Are we here to chase n00bs away, and to jump at the throat of everyone whom we perceive as "a G1 fanboy", or are we here to have fun discussing Transformers? All this hatred, and about what? - differing opinions about a kids show/comic/toyline!
But since it's important to you, here is your original quote, in context -
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Therefore I wasn't joking. Some members of the Transformers fandom don't deserve anything, because all they'll do is piss and bitch that it's not as good as something released twenty years ago, regardless of any evidence to the contrary. These people should be ignored at all times as they aren't relevant. They should be locked in a vault with all sixteen episodes on a constant loop until their brains piss out of their ears. Or til they die of sufocation, as I wouldn't want to waste oxygen on them.

If anybody thinks that refers to them specifically, it probably does.

Gee, this really sounds like you respect those people as human beings... :rolleyes:
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Originally posted by Arcee
Gee, this really sounds like you respect those people as human beings... :rolleyes:

Deal with those people like Cliffy and I have had to do and see how you feel about them then. There really are some worthless sacks of fanboy nerd crap in our hobby.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I don't. But did I at any point say anyone in particular was like that? The point of the bit at the end was that if you think TFs peaked in 1984, that's what you probably deserve for all the interest you hold. I don't think any of our members really think like that, do they? And if you took me wanting them to die literally, well, there's not a lot to say. I'd simply be happy for them to piss off somewhere and not bother people who want to discuss things.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I think if you take seriously every suggestion someone makes to have you tied over a termite nest covered in jam, life would be far less interesting. There's something rewarding about a creative and obviously ludicrous repartee, regardless of whether it's aimed in my direction... or perhaps this is merely my sense of humour.

I think it's interesting that people chose to take the phrase "If anybody thinks that refers to them specifically, it probably does" as directed at them personally.
Arcee
Protoform

Post by Arcee »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
And if you took me wanting them to die literally
FYI, I didn't. - What, did you think I thought you actually hunt fanboys with a shotgun in your spare time? :p
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The travel costs are pretty bad. I'm thinking, maybe a "g1roolZ" convention in Winchester? Then the gas?

Oh, and Luke, the avatar was meant to be "Smoking is fun kids!" overlaid on one of the warnings we have other here, but sadly legibility decided otherwise. I have a box on which I've stickered that label. Only thing is, when I buy new cigarettes, I have to shove them all in that box...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Any chance of some campfire songs in the near future?
Corvus Corax
Protoform

Post by Corvus Corax »

ummmm i don't recall saying i took it seriously(as some sorta real threat or something anyone did as a real bobby) and it wasn't directed at cliffjumper personally.... i just took the basic idea of what he wrote as an example of what i saw.

as i already told denyer, i was backreading the forums to find out what had been discussed before and see what i could learn. i found some of the stuff being said desturbing cause i know kids come here. i found this place through looking up info for my boys.

i haven't said anything about censoring, i was just pointing out something.

if i HAD wanted to make it a complaint about one person or a personal attack i would have USED names.

then again i thought that since it was supposed to be a lot of adults here, mentioning a concern as an adult and parent wouldn't be met with this.

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

If it was entirely about your parental concern, why kick off with something about the original cartoon?

And you still haven't explained not knowing what verbatim means, and altering what I said.
Originally posted by Denyer
Any chance of some campfire songs in the near future?
What can we use to burn on the fire?
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

What, did you think I thought you actually hunt fanboys with a shotgun in your spare time? :p

He doesn't ? :eek:
Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think some things are being taken way too seriously here. What Cliffy was saying with that passage was that folks that go around saying "post-1984 iz teh suX0r!!1!!!!!1!!" are rather annoying, and that we could do without them. It was clearly not aimed at anyone in particular, as I don't know anybody here with that point of view.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

ummmm i don't recall saying i took it seriously(as some sorta real threat or something anyone did as a real bobby) and it wasn't directed at cliffjumper personally.... i just took the basic idea of what he wrote as an example of what i saw.
And with that, can we all chalk things down to misunderstanding, at least to an extent? I'm guessing others will already have posted by the time I get this typed, but I can live in Hope. It's a charming little pub, just outside of Basingstoke...
i found some of the stuff being said desturbing cause i know kids come here.
Well, there's no substitute for active parenting. Although a series founded on the premise of a brutal civil war is perhaps not ideal material for younger children—truthfully, were the ideas in the fiction ideal for kids, people wouldn't still be interested in it now.

Other brands such as Masters Of The Universe and Thundercats were a little more... how can I put it? Wholesome. Less likely to prompt conversation likely to scar the infant psyche.

Prime as an undead zombie in the episode "Dark Awakening", for example, gave me nightmares for years. Today, it's probably my favourite episode because it's so effective and well-written around a strong concept.
i thought that since it was supposed to be a lot of adults here, mentioning a concern as an adult and parent wouldn't be met with this.
Not many people start families around the age of twenty. In fact, most people are actively trying to avoid kids... I certainly have no desire to reproduce, particularly since I'm heading towards teaching.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It's a charming little pub, just outside of Basingstoke...

Drop me a line next time you're there. Just watch out for My Crazy Killer Guy.
Corvus Corax
Protoform

Re: to everyone

Post by Corvus Corax »

flame me all you want for what i am about to say, but i atleast hope some of you will think about it first.

i don't look at the original cartoon series as fantastic itself, it is the concept that still appeals to me today so much... i know it was far from perfect, and i have NEVER claimed it was. it is true that is was somewhat a glorified long tv comercial.. but then again so were all the other cartoons at the time... look at gi joe.. that was even worse!

***said this to make it clear i am not one of those people who can see no wrong in the original series and hopefully not turn this into "you worship that cheap crappy 80's cartoon, you're a fanboy!" flame thread

i came to this forum to hopefully have fun and stuff talking to other fans of the transformers, and i am not talking just about the cartoon i grew up with, and my kids (going on 10 and 13) wanted to find a place to talk too...

***this is why i came here

so far they haven't been able to read a single post, i will not let them near the computer. i don't want to have to explain to a 9 yrs old why someone on here said (verbatim) <wrong word used(corrected just to make cliffjumper happy)

***parental concern point

"people that think g1 is the best should be put in a room with all 16 episodes on reruns till their brains turn to slime with no air to suffocate to death",

*** not used word for word, because i only wanted the GIST(better word used??) of the kinda things i was reading as i back read the forums, i didn't want to say "so and so said this! they're evil!" i didn't even realize it was cliffjumper who said it, i just remembered reading it as i was writing the post

when he loves the movie and old series. (they both like beastwars too btw, as do i). a 9 years old doesn't see the cliches and mistakes we do and say "oh what a crappy cartoon", some do, but not all of them.

***explaining more and a concluding commentnot directed at any ONE person in particular

you guys might want to think about the responses and such to posts about what is essentially a KIDS cartoon both in the 80's and now. kids will find and are looking at this forum.

** kids can read what is said as long as they don't post if i understand correctly... not all parents review what their kids do on the net.

ps: i never in any part of this post said i was the perfect angel, nor have i claimed to be.

***this is me saying, i am not innocent, i make comments myself
ps this took so long to write, cause everyone and their dog is calling me tonight and i can only type one handed.. hard to type and hold the phone with the same hand.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Jesus H. F*cking Christ...
And with that, can we all chalk things down to misunderstanding, at least to an extent?
Yes, can we please do that? Can we PLEASE do that?
Corvus Corax
Protoform

Post by Corvus Corax »

it was on my part,even tho i used part of what he said, it was NOT directed at cliffjumper.

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

kids can read what is said as long as they don't post if i understand correctly... not all parents review what their kids do on the net.
Kids can find far worse on the net than a few people who swear occasionally and talk about alien robots killing each other (especially on Usenet) and we're not about to make this a members-only forum. I'd guess that at least nine out of ten consumers of anything under the 'G1' umbrella are definitely not kids. The reissues are expensive and fragile, the DVDs and trade paperbacks are similarly overpriced, and teens today read fewer comics than ever.

RiD, Armada and Energon, on the other hand, have been pitched at today's kids. Even so, teens themselves aren't the least aggressive people. Although many here are more articulate than a cross-section of the adult population...
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

You cant protect them forever!

Chances are theyve been exposed to much worse already at school.