Any vegans here?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Rack 'n Ruin

Any vegans here?

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

My gf & I have been trying to live vegan since June. It's not always the easiest thing to find vegan food, especially when out and about, but we are really enjoying it. Lots of new and tasty things to eat.

Are there any other vegans on the TFA boards?
Wreck and Rule!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Not even slightly, but well-made falafel or vegan chocolate cake are awesome.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I think we've had a vegan thread before so there must be at least one other poster who is.

I'm not myself, there's a woman at work who is though and she's having to constantly chomp down all sorts of vitamins to keep her energy levels up.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Nopers I need my daily dose of meat and cheese to get through a day
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

Rack 'n Ruin wrote:but we are really enjoying it. Lots of new and tasty things to eat
Why do you have to become a vegan to enjoy new tasty things to eat?
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Addl wrote:Why do you have to become a vegan to enjoy new tasty things to eat?
You don't, old boy. My point was simply that the new things we are eating are very tasty. :D
Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Denyer wrote:Not even slightly, but well-made falafel or vegan chocolate cake are awesome.
Falafel? Hells yes.

Vegan choccy cake? Sounds good. Have you got a recipe?
Wreck and Rule!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

There's a couple of people might have it, will ask.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

My sister came up with these as reputable, although she does more in the way of gluten-free stuff for friends. Apparently the magic ingredient is avocado.

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/06/03/chille ... e-version/
http://ohsheglows.com/2010/12/09/chille ... ate-torte/
http://joythebaker.com/2009/07/vegan-ch ... cado-cake/
http://joythebaker.com/2012/02/simple-v ... late-cake/
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Thanks Denyer, and thank your sister too. We'll definitely give it a try. :)
Wreck and Rule!
Sades

Post by Sades »

I gave vegan a go in my early 20's, I'm pretty sure I almost killed myself. I thought I was smart about it, but I was pretty stupid about it; I didn't take supplements, asides from an Iron pill. And that only after a doctor's visit. :p After that, I went ovo-lacto for a few years (mostly ovo, less lacto) and about .... six? seven?... years ago I started eating chicken and fish. A couple of years after that (well, more or less. I don't remember exactly) I had red meat again for the first time in yeeeaaars. And just last year(ish), I started eating pork again. Though that was more because it was cheap, and I was poor... I've never really liked pork, and now I find myself eating it even when I no longer have to. Go fig.

Now, I'm about ready to cut out all the crap and go ovo-lacto again... I was so much better off without it. Well, I might include fish. I dunno. Giving up chicken is going to be so difficult though, and the mercury content in some fish is kinda scary.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

People anywhere in the western world make such politics about their eating habits.

It is very simple:

1. Do not eat more energy than you spend over time, if you do not plan to save energy as fat

2. Of all what you eat, make sure it is a combination that makes sense including all vitamins, minerals, and metals you need

3. F all that you buy, make sure you spend a bigger amount of your income on quality food (local small bio farmers and butchers, etc) to ensure that what you eat is okay and the creation process was also decent to the animals and plants.

After all, food is the most intimate thing for you, as you EAT it, process it in your body, and get most of your life's energy from. To discount there on quality cannot be right. Rather save on the quality of a shirt... At least you only wear it on your body which can irritate your skin, but the food is inside of you and can do much more damage.

I have no idea why people always want to label themselves.
Just eat what makes sense to you, but know that we are "everything eaters" and to keep the correct balance for your body is not easy if you try it this way.
Like Sadie wrote, you will most likely damage your body with this idea.
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
verytired

Yay, another Vegan!

Post by verytired »

Me, the wife and both our boys have been vegan for about 3 years now. It's a piece of piss really. On a slightly tangential note, my wife ran the Leicester Vegan Fair for Leicester last summer, and is doing another one in October :swirly:
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Addl wrote:People anywhere in the western world make such politics about their eating habits.

It is very simple:

1. Do not eat more energy than you spend over time, if you do not plan to save energy as fat

2. Of all what you eat, make sure it is a combination that makes sense including all vitamins, minerals, and metals you need

3. F all that you buy, make sure you spend a bigger amount of your income on quality food (local small bio farmers and butchers, etc) to ensure that what you eat is okay and the creation process was also decent to the animals and plants.

After all, food is the most intimate thing for you, as you EAT it, process it in your body, and get most of your life's energy from. To discount there on quality cannot be right. Rather save on the quality of a shirt... At least you only wear it on your body which can irritate your skin, but the food is inside of you and can do much more damage.

I have no idea why people always want to label themselves.
Just eat what makes sense to you, but know that we are "everything eaters" and to keep the correct balance for your body is not easy if you try it this way.
Like Sadie wrote, you will most likely damage your body with this idea.
This seems the most senisble bit of eating advice I've seen for a long while.

I wish people would eat senisbly instead of either stuffing themselves to the gills or dieting on ridiculous 'don't eat this' diets which are almost always bad for you. Not that I dismiss people's right to eat how and what they want, but soemtimes I do think it's the result outside influences on people's thoughts, rather than a conscious decision to live a certain way.

Mechanised processes that are ruinous for the enviornment are something I disagree with, but its never been enough for me to give up various food groups. There comes a point where you realise with the scale of the human population, things like that are going to have to exist in some form or another, but what we can shape and influence is how our food supply is managed (something we in the West do very very badly - probably elsewhere too) Animal welfare is important, especially as part of the food chain, so things like battery farms are depressing and are one of the reasons I avoid fast food outlets as their impact on the enivronment is so far reaching and unwarranted.

In my readings, one of the biggest problems in making sure Animals are looked after is ensuring welfare standards are high across the board from all sources of supply, no matter where in the world that comes from. I was quite cheered to see the EU finally get around to implementing legally binding standards on the size of enclosures for farmed chickens, which the UK has cracked on with apace, but the rest of Europe has adopted in a rather piecemeal fashion which leaves UK suppliers undercut by cheaper European imports who can meet demand by ignoring welfare standards by cramming more birds into a cage than should be allowed...

During our economic boom, there was a real focused attempt (publicised in the main by Jamie Oliver over here) to address the problems we have in the way we eat, but like every other progressive measure, that's all now fallen by the wayside during the economic downturn.

I'm still disappointed that obvious ongoing long term problems like Supermarkets screwing over suppliers are still not resolved. Would it really kill them to cut their profits margins and pay producers fairly for the very stock they rely on?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Very happy to be a mutant! ;)
Wreck and Rule!
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

verytired wrote:Me, the wife and both our boys have been vegan for about 3 years now. It's a piece of piss really. On a slightly tangential note, my wife ran the Leicester Vegan Fair for Leicester last summer, and is doing another one in October :swirly:
Ooh, that sounds intriguing. What goes on at a vegan fair? We live in Ipswich, so not too far away. Depending on the missus' shifts we might mosey on up.
Wreck and Rule!
Lorraine
Protoform

Post by Lorraine »

I've started veganism a year ago although I've been planning that for a long time.
Interesting article by the way:)
That mutation means we might be the ones who really evolved in a bit more advanced manner:)
verytired

Post by verytired »

Vegan Fair? Mostly stalls selling food: loads and loads of good food, like Moo-Free Chocolates, as well as some other groups like Vegan Runners and the Hedgehog hospital. If you want more info, check it out on facebook :)
The next one is being held on the 17th November, we'd love to see you there,
borg72

Post by borg72 »

going back to vegan recipes, my wifes attempts at making baked treats for me (I'm diabetic) have resulted in her discovering that by adding a can of pumpkin (apparently it comes in cans) to a box of sugar-free brownie mix (and NOT adding any oil, egg, or water), you get vegan-diabetic brownies.

I can't say i was a fan, but then i'm english and not really into pumpkin as a flavour. everyone else (all americans) says they're nice. they came out quite gooey though

wife also mentions as she sees me typing this: you can do something similar by adding black beans and/or banana as a replacement additive. also that the brownie mix itself needs to not have milk added in already, apparently some do.