• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Closed Thread

Old 2002-12-14, 07:16 AM   #21
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!
Wink

All right, if it must be defended, I guess we could mention the fact that Daniel was only on one page-two at most. Then they forgot about him, and there was no Wheelie (it doesn't matter that they haven't met him yet). Counter that irrefutable defense.

Last edited by RID Scourge; 2002-12-14 at 07:18 AM.
Old 2002-12-14, 07:30 AM   #22
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

It had Chris Saccarini's take on Bumblebee - "ooh, tough crowd".

Old 2002-12-14, 01:16 PM   #23
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon
Please do not compare or make a reference to any or all Marvel titles or the company itself.
Hmm... comparing comics to comics? What a disgrace... :rolleyes:

Small point for Nevermore: do you think Megs expected those assassins to succeed, or simply get Prime's attention? Because I know which theory I favour...

Old 2002-12-14, 05:42 PM   #24
Minaru

Quebec, Canada

I enjoyed the mini-series. But then, I'm not an art driven reader either. But I enjoyed the art as well.

The only problem I foudn was the rushed parts (The end battle seemed to suddenly be over before it happened) and the really slow parts (Issue one) but it did lay ground work for the next mini, I hope. And will be first in line to buy the second mini's. I found the multiple covers anoying though and would only purchase Auto-Bot ones.

And a side note, if you try to hit the company in the wallet, you'll end up killing the company. If they see fans aren't enjoying what they've already made, they tend to not bother with the series anymore.

Support it, just be constructive in any criticism. Good job with that, btw, Quicksilver. The rest of you... Think before posting... Don't just compare with another company (Lord, why use Marvel? It's... MARVEL for Gods sake...), try comparing it with a company that's actually done what you wanted (Small company struggling to make it big) IE: Image or Darkhorse... They started in the same boat as Dreamwave...

I want tosee more characterisation in the next mini. There was hardly any where it should have been (IE: Superion's death left me thinking "Good, kill the big bot no one talked to")

that's my rant...

Old 2002-12-14, 08:42 PM   #25
ProckoZero

Good ole New England

As if Quicksilver needs anyone backing him up, how bout this:

Devil's Due is a small company in the same situation as Dreamwave, with the "other" big 80's toy/cartoon/comic property.

Josh Blaylock isn't exactly a well known name among most comic fans...yet he helped to create a pretty damn good GI Joe comic book. Devil's Due set up a second title and let Larry Hama write the first arc which, in all honesty, pales in comparison to what Blaylock is writing now. GI Joe has become a great comic book and looks to be around for quite some time.

On the other hand, G1 had a farcical plot line, mischaracterizations, and was very anticlimactic. You COULD say that farcical plot lines are the name of the game if you're looking at the second Transformers cartoon season...but I won't.

"Someone may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
Old 2002-12-15, 01:58 AM   #26
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Y'know what the the G1 mini needed? Kremzeek!!

No really...

Last edited by Hound; 2002-12-15 at 02:00 AM.
Old 2002-12-15, 05:47 AM   #27
Jim
Hardcore Movie Lover

Philadelphia, Pa
Thumbs up

Easily worthy of a sticky.

Old 2002-12-15, 05:48 AM   #28
Ultimate Weapon
Banned

The End of Time

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuart Denyer
Hmm... comparing comics to comics? What a disgrace... :rolleyes:

There different companies with different marketing goals budgeting accounts and creative teams. There like apples to oranges. You cant compare a stand alone miniseries to something that has existed for more than 30 years.

Old 2002-12-15, 06:33 AM   #29
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon
There different companies with different marketing goals budgeting accounts and creative teams. There like apples to oranges. You cant compare a stand alone miniseries to something that has existed for more than 30 years.
I can compare this six issues of a TF comic to six issues of any comic I choose, would that be fair? I garuntee if i do that it won't make the G1 mini series of any more quality. You can't make excuses for a bad comic. It's either bad or it's not, regardless of what you compare it too. Many comics are better than the G1 mini, many comics are worse, it matters little. The G1 mini was lacking in quality, that much is certain. The multiple cover gimmick was Dreamwave's way of getting people to spend more money than was necessary, that much is also certain. You haven't presented any evidence to the contrary, you've only made excuses for it.

1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Old 2002-12-15, 11:10 AM   #30
Ultimate Weapon
Banned

The End of Time

Quote:
Originally posted by Hound
I can compare this six issues of a TF comic to six issues of any comic I choose, would that be fair? I garuntee if i do that it won't make the G1 mini series of any more quality. You can't make excuses for a bad comic. It's either bad or it's not, regardless of what you compare it too. Many comics are better than the G1 mini, many comics are worse, it matters little. The G1 mini was lacking in quality, that much is certain. The multiple cover gimmick was Dreamwave's way of getting people to spend more money than was necessary, that much is also certain. You haven't presented any evidence to the contrary, you've only made excuses for it.
So why compare it? I'm not making excuses for anything, the art was good the story was bad the end. It is a six issue miniseries how can that be compared to 300 + X-men titles? No doubt they have had some crap issues yet have had the oppurtunity to make ammends, whereas DW only had six issues, yet now the WWI is out and has satisfied many fans so ammends are being made. The original Marvel TF run had some bad art yet good stories. I'm not a fan of multiple gimmick covers yet its a known comic staple for completists. It gave some the choice to pick a Soundwave cover over a Blaster one. And the idiots to buy both + the reprint 2nd and 3rd...etc

Old 2002-12-15, 04:05 PM   #31
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Basically, all I'm hearing here are excuses for excuses. As ProckoZero points out [and that's going in when I update the essay] Devil's Due have done what Dreamwave should have been able to do. But Dreamwave couldn't. And one thing which has been on the edge of my mind since Nevermore's wonderful non-argument is this: Okay, Marvel US #1-6 aren't comic calssics. But let's not forget - Marvel had to do all their own groundwork. Dreamwave didn't. Dreamwave's job was similar to that of the G2 team - they had all the foundations build for them, they just had to put soething decent on top.

That said, can I just stress that I'm not actually comparing the content of the Dreamwave comics to anything, aside from the soon-to-come mention of G. I. Joe [which is more than fair]. I've reviewed the G1 mini-series on its own merits. Read that issue. Am I siting there saying "Furman would have wrote it like this" or "If Senior had drew it, it woulkd have looked great". No, I'm not. So if the best some of you can come up with is saying "Yeh, well, Carwash of Doom was crap", then kindly don't bother replying.

Old 2002-12-16, 02:27 AM   #32
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

I for one enjoyed the DW series but if you want to get technical
Transformers is science-fiction (the keyword here is FICTION) and has been from day one. I'm one these guys who
DON'T care how the warp core in Star Trek works or how Hyperdrive in Star Wars if someone wants to make a fuss about
that stuff works fine but I for one don't care.
When I went to see Die Another Day the other day I didn't think about the reality of Bond's car flipped over and using the ejector seat to flip it right side over I accept that for the reality of the movie's world. It is the same with the DW Transformers: G1 comic I say forget reality and enjoy the ride.
If you try and do what Quicksilver is doing it will not be a fun series but if park your brain for a few minutes and try not to over critical of every thing you will find an enjoyable series.

And Quicksilver I have to ask this:
If Marvel had published the same series by the same creators would you be this critical of it?
Just curious.

The X-WCW a fun site for fun people.
Old 2002-12-16, 02:33 AM   #33
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyberstrike nTo
And Quicksilver I have to ask this:
If Marvel had published the same series by the same creators would you be this critical of it?
Just curious.
Yes, I would. There's no way I could prove it, but it would have been every bit as bad - probably worse, as Marvel should know better.

Old 2002-12-16, 03:15 AM   #34
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

I can't believe I've just read a post that essentially states to ignore that the comic was poorly written and enjoy it anyway.

What's your favorite movie? "Batman & Robin"?

Are we suddenly not allowed to expect a quality product for the $2.95 per comic we've spent? I mean three f*cking dollars for a ten minute read, that's a lot of money, I want a damned good product for that money. I work hard for my money and I'm well within my rights to ask DW to work hard to earn that money from me. The fact is they didn't, seemingly, they've slapped together a half-assed story real quick and drew(??) out a 2 issue story into 6 and glossed it over with pretty but poorly layed out art. If this is their continued practice they'll not be getting my hard earned dollar any longer and what's more it'd be nice if everyone opened their eyes and demanded the same. It's the kind of thinking you promote that leaves us with movies such as Episode One. We need to demand better or we'll never get it.

I'm so tired of crap selling well because people are satisfied with settling for crap.

1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Old 2002-12-16, 03:56 PM   #35
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Quote:
I'm so tired of crap selling well because people are satisfied with settling for crap.
That kinda sums up my thoughts... why should we just go "well, it was rubbish, deal with it, never mind"...? It's kinda funny that people sometimes say stuff like this, then tear something like Beast Machines, RiD or Armada to bits.... maybe some people are satisfied with mediocrity. Fine. Go for it. But don't use your own low level of amusement as an excuse for this kind of thing.

Old 2002-12-16, 06:56 PM   #36
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

Quote:
I can't believe I've just read a post that essentially states to ignore that the comic was poorly written and enjoy it anyway.

What's your favorite movie? "Batman & Robin"?

Are we suddenly not allowed to expect a quality product for the $2.95 per comic we've spent? I mean three f*cking dollars for a ten minute read, that's a lot of money, I want a damned good product for that money. I work hard for my money and I'm well within my rights to ask DW to work hard to earn that money from me. The fact is they didn't, seemingly, they've slapped together a half-assed story real quick and drew(??) out a 2 issue story into 6 and glossed it over with pretty but poorly layed out art. If this is their continued practice they'll not be getting my hard earned dollar any longer and what's more it'd be nice if everyone opened their eyes and demanded the same. It's the kind of thinking you promote that leaves us with movies such as Episode One. We need to demand better or we'll never get it.

One man's crap is another man's gold.

If you don't like how DW is doing TF:G1 then don't buy it. As far the $2.95 I'd paid for Transfomers: G1 #1 is actully a hell of lot cheaper than the $5.50 to go see Die Another Day (well actully it was $30 for two tickets and snacks) but I got my money worth on both counts
IF DW had publised the thing in a graphic novel form I might agree with you and at say $50 for the hardcover collection I think that is a liitle too high for any sereis.
But also consider this:
DW said they that they got the rights to TF in Jan of 2002 and got the first issue and preview out in April of the same year! Basically they had four months to prepare for a series and with carte banche they had rewrite a 18 years of a compiltcated history in 4
months that would be almost impossible for anyone to do so they did the best they could do.
Could they had done better?
YES
Also with an untried writer at the helm I've never heard of Scarrni(?) before TF:G1 you must remember that writing is a lot acting some people it comes easy for others it comes after a lot of
practice and struggle to get it right.
Scarrni is in the latter I'm affaid.
Should DW gotten Furman to write it?
HELL YES!
But sometimes life doesn't work out the way you want it.

Just for the recond my favorite movie is:
Transformers: The Movie

The X-WCW a fun site for fun people.
Old 2002-12-17, 12:05 AM   #37
Computron
Welsh & Proud

Cardiff, Wales

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyberstrike nTo
If you don't like how DW is doing TF:G1 then don't buy it. As far the $2.95 I'd paid for Transfomers: G1 #1 is actully a hell of lot cheaper than the $5.50 to go see Die Another Day (well actully it was $30 for two tickets and snacks) but I got my money worth on both counts
and to contradict your statement

$3 for a ten moinute read or $6 for a 2hr 15 minute film. that means bonmd is approximatly $0.44 per 10 minute period

even going by $30 for two tickets (ignoring any snacks) it still works out at $1.11 per 10 minute period per peson

$3 for the tf comic is a complete rip off, I should know I've bought every dreamwave issue and poster that I've been able to get my hands on. I won't do this for series 2 unless the story and art both drastically improve.

As Quicky said it is comical that people critisise BW & BM dispite the fact these all tend to have well writen stories that some thought has gone into yet with this comic the old "its G1 so I must automatically like it" tends to come out.

Call me picky but I want a good story in my comic, not acomic that could easily of fit on 2 comics spread over 6 to rake in more money

I support a ban on powerposting
Old 2002-12-17, 03:50 AM   #38
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

What Compy said...

Oh and one more thing, you can call a pile sh*t gold, silver, platinum, diamonds, rubies, gems or whatever you want but in the end, it's still a pile of sh*t...

Apparently some people enjoy being sh*t upon...

Old 2002-12-18, 08:10 PM   #39
Grimlock2983

Berkeley, CA

Hey a bit of a digression, here, but I'm curious: How did everyone like WWI? I really enjoyed it, and don't see the problems that were brought up earlier (like not seeing the beginning of the War, Prime's development, etc.). I'm just wondering if I'm in the minority or has DW made a big improvement from G1?

Blaster: "Grimlock, look over there!"

Grimlock: "You think Grimlock stupid, fall for trick."

Blaster: "Well, yes and no. Yes, I think you're stupid. But no, it's not a trick."

*Decepticons attack while Blaster and Grimlock battle for leadersihp of the Autobots, Issue #41*
Old 2002-12-18, 08:26 PM   #40
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

The last 3 issues of G1 were a bit faster, but were still a letdown.

Armada has been good so far, with the exception of issue 3.

War Within is excellent. No one can write them like Furman.

Closed Thread