Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Closed Thread

Old 2003-01-30, 02:04 AM   #21
Strafe
Certifiably not cool.

Chicago, Illinois
Exclamation

Well this bites the proverbial dust...

I'm with Denyer on this one...I hope it doesn't sound like fingerpointing but...well...we all know how that situation is...

Old 2003-01-30, 02:05 AM   #22
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Question: Didn't the Archive recently start charging for the Episode downloads? Something like $10 a month just to cover bandwidth costs?

If so, I think we have our answer as to why Hasbro decided to pop in with a Cease and Desist

Old 2003-01-30, 02:07 AM   #23
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Surely, the issue is why it's happened now, and who gave Hasbro the push? Yes it's illegal, but so's giving a copy of a tape to your girlfriend... I've often praised Hasbro for among other things a senle approach to the use of copyright... Hell, Brendan loses money giving them fpromotion... no, someone was afraid Hasbro were going to put him through the blender, and named everyone he could think of.

Old 2003-01-30, 02:09 AM   #24
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

Argh, I feel for you and Warp Brendan What content has to go down? ALL types of pictures too? What about toy reviews, what about episode guides, or screengrabs, or Warp's fantabulous wallpaper?

Well, at least that f*ckhead's going down too...

Old 2003-01-30, 02:14 AM   #25
Blaster_86

I guess paying them a little bit of money for the downloads but I guess that wouldn't be enough?

Like make the price 15 dollars or some such and give the extra five to hasbro, maybe charge for the comics too. It may cost money but $10/15 isn't asking too much for these things.

Old 2003-01-30, 02:16 AM   #26
The Plant

BOONEdocks of oblivion

Cliffy, it's stories like yours that might actually get us outta this. About everyone here probably has a similar story. Considering all the TF boards out there, our combined complaints must account for something! Minus the people from boards, who goes to Transfans? There's got to be something we can do! Any ideas, I suggest we post em in GD. This really really bothers me.

TFArchive, you're not in any trouble as of now, are you?

Old 2003-01-30, 02:17 AM   #27
Strafe
Certifiably not cool.

Chicago, Illinois
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Quicksilver
no, someone was afraid Hasbro were going to put him through the blender, and named everyone he could think of.
Agreed, tho to be completely fair, it may be jumping the gun at this point...but on the other hand, it probably is safe to take that position at the moment.

Old 2003-01-30, 02:20 AM   #28
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Strafe
Agreed, tho to be completely fair, it may be jumping the gun at this point...but on the other hand, it probably is safe to take that position at the moment.
But it makes a horrid amount of sense. People should pay little heed to what I say however, as I am just speculating... Besides, I don't feel like being fair right now. For instance, Skywarp is more than likely in bed at the moment, and will wake up to find that all his hard work has been castrated. Things like that make me rather irrate.

Old 2003-01-30, 02:21 AM   #29
Zath

Some guy who posts at 2 other boards i know raised a bit of hell about seibertron having the UK scans and he was also very vocal about a site who had the dreamwave comics scanned on.

We live for the One, We die for the One, but we dont die stupid.
Old 2003-01-30, 02:24 AM   #30
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Can anyone say 'bollocks', 'nail' and 'tree'... ? I trust he doesn't have any convention attendance plans.

Old 2003-01-30, 02:28 AM   #31
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Zath
Some guy who posts at 2 other boards i know raised a bit of hell about seibertron having the UK scans and he was also very vocal about a site who had the dreamwave comics scanned on.
I know mechaex.com lost their DW scans pretty sharpish... I'm afraid my Yahoo! Groups will rather be at the mercy of Yahoo...

Old 2003-01-30, 02:31 AM   #32
Strafe
Certifiably not cool.

Chicago, Illinois

Quote:
But it makes a horrid amount of sense. People should pay little heed to what I say however, as I am just speculating... Besides, I don't feel like being fair right now. For instance, Skywarp is more than likely in bed at the moment, and will wake up to find that all his hard work has been castrated. Things like that make me rather irrate.
Oh no question I agree with you. I just felt like playing devil's advocate.

But yes, you are right, it makes a disturbing amount of sense. Personally I hope seibertron wouldn't descend to such a level, but then agan...

Old 2003-01-30, 02:36 AM   #33
Plasmodium
Groovy

Canada
Default =-0

Ya, you can get all the stuff on dc + more. Toy reviews, episode guides, and wallpapers should be acceptable. :/

Old 2003-01-30, 02:37 AM   #34
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

We're talking about a guy petty enough that when Denyer remarked the site had little content of interest to him, threatened to bck ban the ****ing UK... And then there's the shop... I think he would stoop that low... His "Till All Are One" catchphrase did have the unspoken coda "On my website or in Hell"...

Old 2003-01-30, 02:42 AM   #35
Strafe
Certifiably not cool.

Chicago, Illinois

Quote:
We're talking about a guy petty enough that when Denyer remarked the site had little content of interest to him, threatened to bck ban the ****ing UK... And then there's the shop... I think he would stoop that low... His "Till All Are One" catchphrase did have the unspoken coda "On my website or in Hell"...
Agreed. He would stoop that low...

But the Archive will survive this problem. All they've done is let episodes be downloaded off of Direct Connect rather than on a website generating hits and free advertisment for Hasbro. So like many have said, Hasbro has taken a shotgun, and aimed it at their feet...

Old 2003-01-30, 02:47 AM   #36
Alpha Trion
One with the Matrix

Cleveland, OH
Unhappy

Oh man, I feel so bad for Warp, who's been working extra hard to make this place the best just to lose it all.
Yeah, I agree that somebody would've had to tell Hasbro that this site was infringing on their copyrights, since it and countless other sites have been doing that for years. Does the disclaimer at the bottom of the main page mean nothing?

Last edited by Alpha Trion; 2003-01-30 at 02:57 AM.
Old 2003-01-30, 02:49 AM   #37
BigMaki

Jacksonville, FL. You may now feel sorry for me.
Unhappy

Damn. Well, whatever happens, thanks for posting everything that you have in the past, Brend. It's a big part of why I've gotten back into Transformers in the past year. Hopefully that's all they'll need taken down...

At least it'll be saving a lot of money on bandwidth, right? (looking for silver lining... looking for silver lining...)

Old 2003-01-30, 02:51 AM   #38
Galvatron91
Has anger management issues

Keeping the world safe from crappy posts

hasbro sucks...

Old 2003-01-30, 02:58 AM   #39
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

Quote:
Originally posted by Galvatron91
hasbro sucks...
Quite.

Side note, what's the likelyhood of Hasbro killing the whole site and/or the Board?

Old 2003-01-30, 03:01 AM   #40
Alpha Trion
One with the Matrix

Cleveland, OH

Can they wipe out the board? Good god, I pray not, without this place I'd have absolutely no reason to come online!

Closed Thread