• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Closed Thread

Old 2003-01-30, 03:05 AM   #41
Plasmodium
Groovy

Canada

No, they shouldnt wipe out the board...

And if they do, oh ****, + " but i think something is stuck up ur ass, maybe waldo" @ hasbro.

Old 2003-01-30, 03:06 AM   #42
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

I don't think they'd have any reason for wiping the board we might have to cut TF images in sigs or somesuch...

Currently working on petition. Mn staement will be previewed in Plant's "What can we do?" thread for approval.

EDIT: Strafe's got Transfans, I'll check ATT in a minute...

Last edited by Cliffjumper; 2003-01-30 at 03:09 AM.
Old 2003-01-30, 03:27 AM   #43
Zath

I believe the freedom of speech laws in effect in Canada & the US would prevent the board from being part of a cease and desist demand.

We live for the One, We die for the One, but we dont die stupid.
Old 2003-01-30, 04:27 AM   #44
Jonin

Nowheresville. Actual Locale: N.S. Canada
Angry

F***!!!

[Edited comment due to a snap accusation I retract]

A pretty damn low move to pull though whomever decided to do such a stunt as this...but forcing removal of all TF imagery?!? Come on! WTF! That's going a bit too far!

Heck, I was going to finally try to get the issues that I'm missing from my old Marvel series collection from my childhood to read...guess that plan is dead now. The odds of my finding any collected issues around here are very slim as ~*SD*~ will tell you, I live on the outskirts of civilization.

Seriously though, Dreamwave themselves owe a lot to every Fansite out there for the hype and the success they have had as it's the fans that went out and bought the product for chrissakes!

If it weren't for the fans, they'd still be a spinoff fledgling image company... (correct me if I'm wrong on that though. I thought they were a group of ex-Image comics employees)
But still, the point is their financial state has a large chunk been made by Fansite hype.

You'd think they would even want to step in and speak up for the Fans...anyone thought of emailing Dreamwave at all?

Hasbro *could* have asked for a hand in profit of episode distribution even, instead of dropping the bomb.
It'd have covered Brendan's bandwidth fees and earnt them more money than they'd realise.

In one fell swoop Hasbro has killed off countless sums in free advertising. Their loss in the long run.

If there's one thing I do know, when something like this happens you can use the Hydra adage. Chop one head off and three more spring up to take it's place.

Good luck for them to try and kill off every IRC channel on the planet that distributes comics and videos of theirs as it will just not happen.
Same goes with filesharing programs and FTPs.

Heck, do a lookup on Ebay and tell me people aren't selling stuff on there that doesn't infringe on Hasbro's copyrights!

This news just pisses me off.
I'm seriously doubtful that Hasbro didn't know of this site before now and the episodes due to it's listing in search engines...

--------
=Jonin=
--------
Jonin's DeviantArt Page

--------

Last edited by Jonin; 2003-01-31 at 03:21 AM.
Old 2003-01-30, 04:58 AM   #45
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Oh, now I'm pissed.

We have to be able to put a stop to this sh*t.

btw, I hope that f*cker ends up on the street, you know who I'm talking about...

There are a considerable amount of individuals on the 'net who happen to be fans of the Transformers. We could hurt Hasbro, or at least the division dealing with Transformers, financially that is.

There will be representatives of Hasbro at Botcon I'd imagine. You can bet I'll be there looking for them so that I can get a few things off my chest. Nothing's stopping me from attending now...

There has to be a compromise, something. They don't need to do this and we could persuade them that it's the wrong thing.

All of you just need to take action instead of just talking about it. Please...

Your very irritated neighborhood,
Hound

Old 2003-01-30, 05:15 AM   #47
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally posted by Quicksilver
http://www.petitiononline.com/tfweb1/petition.html
I've signed...

There aren't enough signatures.

Old 2003-01-30, 05:23 AM   #48
wasabi

Los Angeles, CA USA
Unhappy

This news really sucks!!! I'm sorry about all the hard work that went into scanning and converting the comics and downloads.... all for naught. However, it is illegal and I can see Hasbro calling for the cease. To remove all the TF images would be ridiculous.

I am not knowledgable in law - US, UK, International or otherwise. My coworker was a former laywer and we had a similar discussion involving Disney and a local nursery school in Southern California. The case stems many years back, but Disney forced a small daycare to remove the Disney characters that they had painted on their walls.... As stupid and frivolous as it seemed, my coworker said that Disney had to do it to protect their copyrights and trademarks something about if they didn't contest their usage, then they would've lost their rights? Or something like that.... In other words, mighty Goliath had to stomp on puny David to establish authority and send a message to the public... If they had let one nursery school get away with it, they would have to let others use their material without permission... and thus lose their copyrights???

Dunno. Perhaps this is Goliath-Hasbro taking on the David-sized fansites? The Archive is just the first.... In terms of a Seibertron snitch, well you guys know more than I.

Anyway, a petition to show fan support sounds good.

Old 2003-01-30, 05:30 AM   #49
Professor Smooth

Oak Lawn, IL, USA

Just to set the record straight.

'The person' you keep reffering to had NOTHING to do with your current situation. So out of common courtesy could you refrain from these baseless accusations.

Thanks,
-Kevin

And I've signed the petition. Lucky number 13

pr0fess0rsm00th (on AIM)
The "Un-Smooth" list:
Brendocon
that is all.
Old 2003-01-30, 05:49 AM   #50
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

The petition is signed.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zath
I believe the freedom of speech laws in effect in Canada & the US would prevent the board from being part of a cease and desist demand.
It might just...Though it is illegal to post copyrighted material, freedom of speech could effectively be argued. Of course, I think it'd be best to avoid a situation where legal defences are required. The best we can hope for is for them to turn a blind eye.

Old 2003-01-30, 05:57 AM   #51
Blues Clues

Brisbane, Australia
Angry

This really blows! I can't understand why they want you to take the comics down? It'd be different if they were re-releasing them at the moment, or if you had the DW scans like Mecha-X.

I've signed that partition but if nothing comes from it, i'd like to thank Brendan and Warp for all their time and effort! Without this site there's a good chance i wouldn't have got back into Transformers!

Welcome to the TFArchive!
Here you'll be treated with dignity and respect ...
Now strip naked and get on the probulator!
Old 2003-01-30, 05:58 AM   #52
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

No, doubt freedom of speech could be argued, and I think the best we can hope for is that they're just reasonable and let the images slide. I can see how the episodes and comics would be things that they'd want to be removed, and I knew that the paying for the episodes system would eventually cause some trouble, but really, what money are they losing from us at least having the damn images? Do they sell books of TF boxart or something? If they take the images (and the names, which since they're copyrighted...), then they've effectively destroyed the site. Also, regardless of whether or not Ryan was involved, do you think that they'd just stop at one fansite like this when there's another, more frequently visited site up that has some of the material they're telling us to remove?

Old 2003-01-30, 06:02 AM   #53
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Blues Clues
This really blows! I can't understand why they want you to take the comics down? It'd be different if they were re-releasing them at the moment, or if you had the DW scans like Mecha-X.
They are... Titan TPBs have already seen the release of 4 TPBS co US #56-80, with 2 more reprinting US #1-6, and some as yet uconfirmed material, though it will involve US #17-18... And then there's the UK and G2 stuff. Smooth, I'd really advise Ryan gets those scans off his site [if not already done] and lowers the profile a little

Old 2003-01-30, 06:20 AM   #54
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

For those that can, extend the exposure to non-TF sites too. Fans are everywhere. Do all you can, please...

Old 2003-01-30, 06:27 AM   #55
Warcry
Likes Beast Wars toys. A lot.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I've already posted this at all the non-TF boards I frequent. Hopefully we can get some support from them...

Old 2003-01-30, 06:50 AM   #56
Zath

Somebody asked if Hasbro could shut down the board.

My comment about Freedom of speech only applied to the Message Board not the site.

We live for the One, We die for the One, but we dont die stupid.
Old 2003-01-30, 06:54 AM   #57
MechaeX

Hamilton, Ontario Canada

Well This is a real shame!
as you all know I had the Hasbro letter!
so i know what its like! but though all this I think Tfarchive will provail
I went on and I know tfarchive will too
I hope the fandom can handle this
we definatly need to band together

"united we stand, divided we fall"

Old 2003-01-30, 07:05 AM   #58
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

MechaeX, for being so polite, you've gotten yourself another visitor to your site. Kudos.

Old 2003-01-30, 07:10 AM   #59
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Bloody wicked fan art, isn't there?

Old 2003-01-30, 07:12 AM   #60
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Quicksilver
Bloody wicked fan art, isn't there?