• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > Other Toys, Cartoons & Comics

Old 2003-02-16, 07:49 PM   #21
The Green Knight
Banned

Private office on top of the TF Archive Bar & Gril

Quote:
Originally posted by Quicksilver
i really want to see the mid-80s one for some reason [I think that'd be the third]... dunno why!
Not if you're a fan of cappy, you don't. That movie made Jack Kirby spin in his grave so fast if you hooked a turbine up to him, he'd be able to supply global power needs for the next century... even at an exponential consumption growth rate...

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0103923

And a review from the good people at Stomp Tokyo:

http://www.stomptokyo.com/movies/c/captain-america.html

Quote:

I seem to remeber it being a bit more clear friends, with maybe Kitty liking Wolvie more than vice-versa... wasn't Kitty hung up on Petey right from the start?
Yeah, but to me, Wolvie's relationship to Kitty had something in the background that went beyond normal friendship, though it would certainly never be acted upon.

Quote:

Y'see, divergence from the comics, in theory, wasn't a problem for me... it was just that the way it was done was uninteresting and occasionally rather stupid...
Well, they had to appeal to the mainstream audience... and you know how they are. I mean, these are the same people who actually paid to see Charlie's Angels, so much so that they're making a sequel (a sequel with a budget that's well over $100 million, for God's sake!) The low points of X-Men were Masterpiece Theater for these encephalographic-flatscans

And like I said... the bad parts, ah, they could have been much, much worse.

Quote:

I think it was you before that said this, and I agree - they're just giving themselves a reset button and in a few years the mess will start again...
I did say it earlier. They seem rather proud of being able to take it easy and redo ground they've already covered, not the slightest bit concerned people will think it's a cop-out. Sure, everything's problem-free now, but in a while, you'll see Retcons out the ass as they try to deal with people breaking adamantium with pure strength and other out-of-control/absurd powers stuff and ham-fisted handlings of being killed for no reason and then refusing to stay dead.

Quote:

I think the MU titles are being kept on because Quesada realises that the Ultimate line could yet be something of a fad, and could fall from fashion, leaving the consistent sales of the MU titles as a safe fall-back... I mean, already we've got an Ultimates/Ultimate X-Men crossover...
Yeah. And of course, if Ultimate manages to do even decent business, they're going to dump the original Marvel universe in favor of it. Of course, it really doesn't matter if you think about it, since they said "the future of marvel is not in comics, but in movie series"; the marvel universe is doomed either way. At least go out doing your best, instead of this worthless rehashed, fanfiction-quality crap.

Quote:

The latter - a new mini-sries based around the Weapon X facility with a new team known as Weapon X, including Wildchild, Aurora [she's called something else, but i couldn't give a Fantastic Four], Marrow and a few other third-stringers and painfully stale 'new' characters...
*uses the gag-suppressant injection system to avoid vomitting in his helmet.

Last edited by The Green Knight; 2003-02-16 at 07:54 PM.
The Green Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-16, 08:05 PM   #22
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

I'm not really a big fan of the X-series, but I enjoyed the movie. What I'd really like to see is a Captain Marvel movie, especially if they make it as funny as the current run.

As for Charlie's Angels, I downloaded it, and watched it one night when I had nothing better to do, and I still wanted my time back after watching it. They really should kill the person that even suggested a sequel. He's tainted the gene pool quite enough.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-16, 11:49 PM   #23
Silly Cow
Moo, I say

Finland

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0103923

That just seems too bad to be missed...

Quote:

Yeah, but to me, Wolvie's relationship to Kitty had something in he background that went beyond normal friendship, though it would certainly never be acted upon.

I never actually saw anything sexual about Wolverines relationships with Pryde and Jubilee. At least not on Logans side, at one time it seemed to be quite obvious that Jubilee had a crush on Wolverine. I always thought it as a situation where a man who's seen it all meets a girl who hasn't seen much anything and he wants to keep it that way.

Thanks D!
Silly Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-16, 11:53 PM   #24
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Silly Cow

That just seems too bad to be missed...
My fascination exactly... I do remember that Cap gets nobbled and frozen on his debut in WW2...

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-17, 12:20 AM   #25
BigMaki

Jacksonville, FL. You may now feel sorry for me.

Well, I finally saw the X-Men movie in its entirety last night. I'd seen bits and pieces on Cinemax here and there, but never seen the whole thing all the way through. I liked it, but I think it's more a matter of knowing where they can go with everything, rather than what was in the movie itself. As I read somewhere a while back, it feels like the pilot for the X-Men television series. There's a lot of things set up and kind of left there, which we know they'll get back to in subsequent movies. I just wish they had time to give some more characterization for someone other than Wolverine. Of course, considering they were given 6 months less than originally scheduled to finish the film, it's a wonder it turned out as well as it did. As it stands, it makes for a great setup, and after seeing the new X-Men 2 (yes, I'm refusing to be 'kewl' by calling it X2) trailer before Daredevil today, I must say that I can't wait for the sequel. Hopefully it's longer than 90 minutes this time...

BigMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-17, 12:21 AM   #26
The Green Knight
Banned

Being a fan of bad movies, I will say that this is too bad to watch. It's the kind of bad you don't want to be around for, like when a steel-toed boot is hurtling towards your balls...

To say how bad it is, if I were using the Bad Movies scale, it would receive a skull... it's not even a one-slime flick... It makes me want to hammer out a shield from a sheet of titanium, paint it red, white, and blue, and bash the cast and crew over the head with it...

F*ckin' titanium for Cappy's shield... that's a critical sign; if it's anything but Dr. Maclain's miracle-metal, it's automatically going to suck.

Old 2003-02-17, 12:25 AM   #27
Ultimate Weapon
Banned

The End of Time
Red face

Man that looks like crap. I however used to watch the Captain America TV show, that was some good stuff, especially the Cap cycle

Ultimate Weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-17, 12:52 AM   #28
Wolfang
'Oh mist-filled pits,
dark dank unclear,
touch all before me
with frost-fingered fear'

Narnia?... nope, just a wardrobe...

Make an X-Men movie with Mr. Sinister as the bad guy. Problems solved. Discuss.

"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Wolfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-17, 01:00 AM   #29
BigMaki

Jacksonville, FL. You may now feel sorry for me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfang
Make an X-Men movie with Mr. Sinister as the bad guy. Problems solved. Discuss.
Well, considering how much of the Summers backstory they would need to go into, it would likely make it a pretty long film. Sinister without that connection isn't particularly interesting, at least in my eyes. It would be nice to get a team of Marauders in there, and maybe even introduce the idea of the Morlocks as well. I'd say having Apocalypse would really solve a lot of the problems. Of course, in the commentary on the new X-Men 1.5 DVD, Singer seems to keep hinting at Jean Grey becoming Phoenix in the future, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that in the third movie. So many fun things to explore, so little hope of any of them being used...

BigMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-17, 02:34 AM   #30
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

Question: Why was Sinister so interested Summers anyway?

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-17, 12:23 PM   #31
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Question

Sorry, but wouldn't Sinister be just as exposed to the problems anyone else in the X-Men mythos is, i.e. it's down to how well the writers, director & actor translate him? It's a bit naive to think that if X-Men 3 has Sinister in it, it'll be a great movie... Magneto and Mystique are superb villains, Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean, the Professor and Storm are great X-Men, and Sabretooth isn't too bad, and yet the first one still didn't touch on most of their characters... so how would it be so certain that someone like Sinister, aruably more complicated than most if not all of them, would actually have justice done to him...?

Old 2003-02-17, 01:07 PM   #32
The Green Knight
Banned

If they'd have taken a few seconds to put Boliver Trask in the first X-movie and establish his abilities and motivations, they could have done the Sentinels as a sequel...

Old 2003-02-17, 01:17 PM   #33
Jetfire
Danny Cipriani > You

Hard traveling hero.

X-men would have benifitted for being more epic and a little longer.

It was OK as a movie and is at least credited with introducing some of the smarter elements of comic books into mainstream movies rather than camp justice crusaders and the movie shows pretty well how far ahead the themes of X-men are cosidering when much of it was written.

Without X-men we would not have had such a damn good Spider-man movie or Hulk (as I suspect as Ang Lees is a fine director) and general public realisation that comics are not purely based on people who magically decide to fight justic and get popular cause they survived a radioactive dose that should in fact kill them.Shame there is still the need for too much of the Buffy infulence (Wise cracks, Ironic themes etc etc) rathe then anybody really trying to be original and keep the material based on the comic like Tim Burton did so well with Batman or Richard Donner with Superman.

If they base the X2 on "God loves, man kill's" graphic novel that would be great. Prehaps the best social X-men story ever written.

Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-18, 01:06 AM   #34
Wolfang
'Oh mist-filled pits,
dark dank unclear,
touch all before me
with frost-fingered fear'

Narnia?... nope, just a wardrobe...

There are a few great X-Men epics, and I can see many of them working in film format. But, as has been pointed out, the writing, direction and production of the films would be the deciding factors. Hence, Mr.Sinister would probably end up being portrayed by Mike Myers.
I still don't here anything about the Black Panther, Silver Surfer and Venom; even though Marvel hinted at plans for them year back. Anyone heard anything?

"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Wolfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-18, 11:38 AM   #35
Auntie Slag
Satisfaction guaranteed !

Cambridge, UK

OK, I am a complete novice as far as X-Men goes. When I was a kid, all I was interested in were Transformers. Eee, things wor reet simple back then, when I had 'oles in me pants and I could go t' Cinema, buy a fried savaloy, ride the tram to dunedain and back and still 'ave change from a hexnut. Hovis!

In other words, my only prior experience with them was through the crappy X-Men cartoons from the early-mid 90's. I enjoyed the movie, and like someone else said (I think it was Blitz), it has to be able to appeal to as many people as possible right off the bat.

I didn't think the Rogue/Wolverine thing was creepy at all. She has a crush on him, but he likes Jean Grey. What's wrong with that? What man wouldn't like the attention? It's an ego boost.

I actually liked Toad. He kicked the X-men's asses pretty much by himself. But I like the story revolving around Wolverine, Rogue, Cyclops and Jean, and in X-Men2 I'd still like it to concentrate on them, Wolvie specifically. I don't like the idea of those stupid big Trask robots, and Apocolypse would be too over the top. An evil dude like Sinister would go down a treat though, regardless of his past with Scott, which I know nothing about. I just think there's a couple of guys that could play him brilliantly, maybe have Morph in there... Jim Carrey?

I also like their suits for the movie. Much better than running around in dayglo blue and yellow spandex with a big red 'X' on their belts. In a comic or cartoon that's ok, but on the big screen it would look naff to me. Silly superhero stuff goes on in superhero films all the time, I'd prefer it if they stay as they are and work on fleshing out the main characters. I think the interaction amongst them would make better viewing than CGI enchanced set-piece fight scene #2314.

I reckon a woman should direct X-Men2. The one who directed 'American Psycho'. Yeah

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!' - Bill Burr

I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman. - David Bowie
Auntie Slag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-18, 03:40 PM   #36
Bombshell
thinks puppet Angel David Boreanaz is dreamy...

...especially when he was kicking Spike's ass. ;)

The Captain America movie was on up here on Saturday.

I didn't watch it.

Last edited by Bombshell; 2003-02-18 at 03:43 PM.
Bombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-18, 04:08 PM   #37
Silly Cow
Moo, I say

Finland

I think Windy practically summed up why the movie was like it was. There weren't enough X-men fans to make that movie worthwhile.

There are a lot of X-men epics that would make a great movie but how many of them would work without a setup that isn't possible in a movie? Dark Phoenix would be rushed, Mutant Massacre would'nt have a happy ending, Inferno would be too long etc etc. I haven't read "God Loves, Man Kills" so I can't say what it would be like as a film.

EDIT: Quicky, beat you to it.

Thanks D!

Last edited by Silly Cow; 2003-02-18 at 04:14 PM.
Silly Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-18, 04:11 PM   #38
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfang
There are a few great X-Men epics, and I can see many of them working in film format. But, as has been pointed out, the writing, direction and production of the films would be the deciding factors.
Plus lots of them depend on some to alot of back-story... e.g. Dark Phoenix would require some sort of progression to Phoenix in the first place to make much sesne [if Phoenix was just mad from the start it would be a much different story... shorter, f'r instance]... Even something basical like Mutant Rising would require a fair bit of back-story, plus most X-Men stories would also be required to bring in one or two new characters [at least, as far as movie audiences are concerned] to work, which would clog up the story... Mind, a brood film would be good, though it'd propbably push the certificate up if done properly...

EDIT: Alos basing it on a comic plot, or even elements thereof, would leave it wide open for straight comparison...

I was also wondering one thing... do any of you "hear" Transformers TV voices when you read the comics? If ya do, do any of you 'hear', say, McKellen as Magento? Personally I tned to hear some of the cartoon ones, though Stewart has taken over as Prof!

EDIT 2: You git!

Last edited by Cliffjumper; 2003-02-18 at 04:24 PM.
Old 2003-02-18, 09:20 PM   #39
BlueBlaster

Trollywood Asylum

Quote:
Weapon X? Really? I read the first two and thought it was terrible - they appear to have lifted chunks of it from the [equally poor] 2nd Alpha Flight series, and the Sabretooth thing in #1-2 was horribly desperate...
Quicky,you gotta read issue 5 of Weapon X,that's highly recommended by the readers including me and it's controversial,because of some stuff that happened in that issue.
You don't have to like the whole series,just pick that one issue.

Hey, comics fans!
Visit www.fanboyradio.com . It's the weekly radio show about comics. Joe Quesada,Larry Hama,Brian Michael Bendis,Greg Rucka,Mark Waid and many other comics creators have appeared on the show.
BlueBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-18, 10:53 PM   #40
Alpha Trion
One with the Matrix

Cleveland, OH

Quote:
I was also wondering one thing... do any of you "hear" Transformers TV voices when you read the comics? If ya do, do any of you 'hear', say, McKellen as Magento? Personally I tned to hear some of the cartoon ones, though Stewart has taken over as Prof!
I use the TV voices when reading Transformers, and most of the voices from the X-Men cartoon, especially Prof, Wolvy, and Cyke. I can't remember how Magneto sounded in the cartoon, but I don't use McKellen;s voice, because he sounds old, and though Erik Magnus must be at least 70, he is in his physical prime, so I don't think he would sound like McKellen.

Alpha Trion is offline   Reply With Quote