• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2003-03-27, 10:01 PM   #41
Ozz
One with the Matrix

I'm on the roof and I'm staring at the stars...

Quote:
Originally posted by Almighty Galvatron
uh oh, i think quicky is about to open up a can of 'beast wars nazi' on lady P...
Ya know, I'm rather friendly guy here and I have never called an idiot anybody, but you, my friend, really tempt me.

****, I'm not very big fan of Beast Wars, I can say I don't like it because of certain reasons, but I don't say it was worse than original cartoon.

Quicksilver maybe is alittle sharp, but this is ****in' DISCUSSION BOARD and one should back up their theory and discuss.

And stop this ****in' nazi thing, it's really stupid.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-27, 10:30 PM   #42
Plasmodium
Groovy

Canada

G1 cartoon = meant to promote toys.

BW cartoon = meant to tell a story.

Promotion of toys = used in commercials

Strories = told by tv shows.

G1 IS **** compared to BW.

G1's best eps were the MTMTE parts, and the movie.

BW's best eps were ALL of them.

BW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> G1.

Plasmodium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-28, 06:06 AM   #43
Almighty Galvatron

Gone drinking

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozz
And stop this ****in' nazi thing, it's really stupid
great, looks like i have a 'beast wars nazi' nazi on my hands

Almighty Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-28, 07:38 AM   #44
Osku
One with the Matrix

Finland
Lightbulb

Quote:
great, looks like i have a 'beast wars nazi' nazi on my hands
Care to stop now before this thread goes ugly? I donīt think anyoneīs laughing at your "joke"...

Back to topic.

Iīd put some emphasis on Scramble City. Itīs short, quite pointless and SC II (toys version) destroys the series completely.

If itīs not counted, propably the original cartoon. It does have itīs good episodes (mostly in season 1 and some in season 3), but the quality ones are drowned among the bad and pointless episodes. What irritates me most is the lack of continuity and characterism (spelling?).

About the 10 first episodes of Armada were really bad, but the last 4 were decent and Iīve heard it getting dramatically better. Canīt judge that yet.

Masterforce is something I really donīt like (the concept), but the storyline saves it IMO.

Others:
Headmasters - good
Victory - great
Zone - 1 episode, not much to say
BW - great
BM - decent
RiD - good, in a funny way. Needs some understanding of anime traditions though. What Iīve seen. Japanese Car Robots version seemed much more promising.
BWII - not great, not bad, "light"
BWNeo - not seen enough

Osku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-28, 11:01 AM   #45
Sixswitch
Rameses Niblik The Third, Kerplunk Kerplunk, Whoops, Where's My Thribble

Sent to outer space, to find another happy place.

Beast Wars is the best... For reasons that anyone who's watched it will know. The original cartoon is the second best. I think a lot of people forget that these are meant to entertain kids, and were never designed to be a fully fledged, airtight continuity. Does that excuse the writers for slacking off? No, not really - but I try to enjoy the episodes as they are, without thinking about it too much. It works for me.

I dislike Armada and RID, and have not read the comics - because as I've said before, I dislike the comic book format.

-Ss

I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Sixswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-28, 12:56 PM   #46
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
uh oh, i think quicky is about to open up a can of 'beast wars nazi' on lady P...
Not, but there could well be a can of admin heading your way if you don't drop that now. For someone who mocks people for actually thinking about things, you get pretty uptight about this, don't you? The fact that at least two of the calmest, most reasonable people on this board think you're being dumb with this should tell you something. Is the best defence you can come up with for the original series "anyone who likes BW is a Nazi"?

Oh yeah, you're a buffoon. Of course it's the best you can do.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-28, 04:40 PM   #47
Almighty Galvatron

Gone drinking

i can come up with plenty of better defences for the original series, and the only reason i use the BWN term is because you seem to be able to see absolutely nothing worthwhile in the original series, which is far from correct.

uptight nothing. i'm drinking as i type. i'm at my least uptightedness all day.

i don't think buffoonery is a valid, cogent or even reasonable argument. nothing personal, but you admit you smoke for Prime's sake, don't let me get started about that, that is real and dangerous idiocy. you're really scraping the bottom of the beer glass doing that.

this whole problem stems from that whole 'starting off onthe wrong foot thing' i think we could find a common hatred in DW's treatment of the TFs in G1 vol 1

Almighty Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-28, 04:54 PM   #48
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Quote:
i can come up with plenty of better defences for the original series, and the only reason i use the BWN term is because you seem to be able to see absolutely nothing worthwhile in the original series, which is far from correct.
Far from correct meaning your assumption I presume? Or are you choosing to overlook my frequent expression of like for the writings of Antony Zalewski? Christ, you even seem to be ignorant of the fact that I may prefer BW to the original cartoon, but the Marvel comics kick both into touch.

Quote:
i don't think buffoonery is a valid, cogent or even reasonable argument. nothing personal, but you admit you smoke for Prime's sake, don't let me get started about that, that is real and dangerous idiocy. you're really scraping the bottom of the beer glass doing that.
I really don't know where this comes in... you post like a buffon, in related to Transformers bing what I meant. If you've interpreted it some other way, frankly that's your problem.

Quote:
this whole problem stems from that whole 'starting off onthe wrong foot thing' i think we could find a common hatred in DW's treatment of the TFs in G1 vol 1
And you've constantly jumped up and down on that wrong foot by bringing the "Beast Wars Nazi" thing whenever even slightly possible. And you slating anyone who actually thinks about Transformers as being pathetic or somesuch in one of your earlier posts means I'm a long way from cutting you any slack.

As I say, drop the Beast wars Nazi comments. I can ask you, or I can ask someone to tell you. The choice is entirely yours.

Old 2003-03-28, 06:44 PM   #49
Vin Ghostal
Gave you a concussion

Making his summer residence in Alexandria, VA
Lightbulb

One more 'Nazi' comment and the offending individual feels the pain. Enough.

The worst? Armada's an embarassment. Too many kids, poor characterisation, strange stories...not good.

The best? Beast Wars, with the original cartoon and the Marvel comic hot on its heels.

Vin Ghostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-30, 09:08 PM   #50
Grimlock2983

Berkeley, CA

I'm just still getting confused as to why people have issues with the best written TF story line to date (cartoon-wise, anyways). OK, so they yelled "Maximize" or whatever when they transformed, so what? G1 had much more annoying nuances, like Starscream's laugh. Say what you want about the guy, but man was his voice annoying. And many will say the same thing about Megatron. I think if you're going to have an opinion based on either shallow beliefs, or nonsense, you should probably keep it to yourself.

Now, if you just like G1 better for nostalgic reasons, as I know many people here do, then so be it. At least it makes more sense than "they said 'Maximize' all the time."

Blaster: "Grimlock, look over there!"

Grimlock: "You think Grimlock stupid, fall for trick."

Blaster: "Well, yes and no. Yes, I think you're stupid. But no, it's not a trick."

*Decepticons attack while Blaster and Grimlock battle for leadersihp of the Autobots, Issue #41*
Grimlock2983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-30, 10:13 PM   #51
CyclonuS WarrioR

The worst is probably Armada. I quite honestly couldn't bare to watch more than a few eps of it.

BW is the only series that can come close, but still the best overall series is none other than G1.

CyclonuS WarrioR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-30, 11:07 PM   #52
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally posted by CyclonuS WarrioR
The worst is probably Armada. I quite honestly couldn't bare to watch more than a few eps of it.
I got through the first episode and that was all I could take. Armada=worst...

However, as much as I love the original cartoon, and I do love it, we are talking about quality here. There wasn't much quality in the original cartoon beyond the original premise. "Almighty Chump" says he can back up the notion that G1 is the best. I'd like to see that. I'm calling you out kid. I'd get excited about this except that I prefer to argue with someone who knows what the **** they're talking about...

I enjoy BW, RiD and the original cartoon equally. In my eyes all 3 are enjoyable for there own reasons...

1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-30, 11:08 PM   #53
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Talking

*polishes stockpile*

Old 2003-03-30, 11:15 PM   #54
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
*polishes stockpile*
Y'know, you'd think this what get old the billionth time, but there always the chance he might come up with something new...:rolleyes:

Oh the monotony of it all, good thing I gotta leave for Wrestlemania soon...

Old 2003-03-30, 11:50 PM   #55
CyclonuS WarrioR

The intelligence and attempted sophistication in the BW plotline's give it much added merit and place it right up there in 2nd place on my list.

However, the breadth characters found in G1 are simply unmatched by the other series.

Old 2003-03-30, 11:56 PM   #56
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
However, the breadth characters found in G1 are simply unmatched by the other series.
That, however, is a detriment to the series as almost none of the characters were all that deeply charcterized. There were far too many charcters mashed together for any kind of development to take place. It was so bad that you don't even really care that 90% of the exsisting cast disappears in the 3rd season...

Old 2003-03-31, 12:05 AM   #57
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Talking

Wide range of characters?

How's about:
Goodie leader so overburdened with ideals he's a total ass
The Kid who gets into trouble
all their friends
five idiots
versus
The Baddie leader who's an ass
His treacherous lieutenant [why does anyone even have a second in command? They're always up to no good]
all their friends

Becuase that's what you get for seasons 1 & 2.

Old 2003-03-31, 12:14 AM   #58
Computron
Welsh & Proud

Cardiff, Wales

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Wide range of characters?
Yep, there are loads of characters in the G1 cartoon, unfortunatly their is only one personality in it to be shared amongst them all

I support a ban on powerposting
Computron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-31, 12:53 AM   #59
CyclonuS WarrioR

While there certainly was much left to be desired as far as character development (as there is in ANY cartoon designed for children), I was still able to relate to each character differently, and have to disagree with your view that there was virtually no characterization.

The sheer amount of characters available by the end of season 2 not to mention season 3 allowed for much greater potential as far as the plotline is concerned. I'm sure many of us can dream up another entire season or two tying up the ends between Season 2 and the Movie with the wealth of characters available.

I have seen no other american incarnation of the series to match that sheer depth of G1 universe. While BW is to be commended for their attempt to provide some links to the previous generation, and adopt a more mature tone and plot themes, the sparce collection of characters among other things didn't interest me.

Old 2003-03-31, 01:05 AM   #60
Computron
Welsh & Proud

Cardiff, Wales

Quote:
I was still able to relate to each character differently, and have to disagree with your view that there was virtually no characterization.
You can relate, tell me what info we are given on the following characters Trailbreaker, Windcharger, Laserbeak (other than "he's a spy"), Thundercracker, Skywarp?

Ok, I'll let you off, I mean they are hardly fan favourite characters so I will give you some fan favourites to tell me about - What personality does Snarl, Slag, Sludge and Swoop have other than "Sludge is stupid, Slag is aggressive" - and no taking info from tech specs/ TF Universe or Comic - Cartoon only personalities

Quote:
The sheer amount of characters available by the end of season 2 not to mention season 3 allowed for much greater potential as far as the plotline is concerned.
Note the word potential, no one who says the cartoon is pants ever denies that, the comics showed us how good the idea of transforming robots fighting on modern day Earth could get - however the cartoon failed to live up to its potential (bar one, maybee two exceptions)

Quote:
I'm sure many of us can dream up another entire season or two tying up the ends between Season 2 and the Movie with the wealth of characters available.
All the more reason to see how bad the writing was - It manages to lose 20 years and we are able to instan;tly catch up on what has happened. Or to be more accurate we guess buts and then go Where did all these characters come form and Where are all our old favourites?

Quote:
I have seen no other american incarnation of the series to match that sheer depth of G1 universe.
Quality not Quantity is my policy on this, I would rather 10 episodes like "Code of a Hero" than 100 Carnage in C-Minors

I support a ban on powerposting
Computron is offline   Reply With Quote