• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-18, 11:34 PM   #21
Civ
News-"breaker"-in-Training

Pennsylvania

I have to admit that this has been incredibly fascinating. I had no idea the comics played such an integral part in people's love for G1. My friends from childhood and I never collected any comics because none of us had any money to spend until the series was almost over and we lost track. We were all into the show and a few of us were into the toys.

I didn't acknowledge the comics at first because I didn't consider them to be that important. Now, I know most (I'll say most since I don't know if all even applies) of the non-Americans here became interested in G1 through the comics; therefore, I understand the reasoning for bashing the cartoon.

As for the Japanese series, I didn't even know they existed until I started going online; however, since they are considered a part of G1, I might check them out. I have heard that the dubbing is horrendous though.

When I first saw people bashing the cartoon and the toy lines (particularly Megatron and I still think he rocks), I wondered how they got into TFs to begin with since they were bashing my initial TF experience. I created this thread to find out. I admit that the first post was not well thought out, but it still gave me the results I desired.

Thanks, Zeeks! Great job!
Old 2004-01-19, 12:17 AM   #22
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

In one sense, it's as simple as the old 'Books vs TV' argument... some parents push their kids towards one or the other, some kids obstinately stick with just the one. With more and more kids having TVs in their rooms from a very early age, fewer people actually read for pleasure. Comics in general have taken a massive hit.

I wish parents would realise how important it is not to include book purchases into a general allowance; a hell of a lot of kids don't see the value of reading, nor do they come from families in which they see people do anything but slump in front of a TV.

I don't criticise the cartoon in the sense I'd use the word 'bash'. I've seen virtually all of the episodes, and I have all of the episodes of the Japanese-animated US series. The biggest problem was the "reset button effect" which meant that plots didn't continue from episode to episode. A book or comic can develop a much more complex and interesting story, and I freely admit I don't have the patience to watch anything but the the sharpest TV scripts any more.

And I love the early toys... they just aren't very good toys. They're extremely fragile and include lots of small parts. Great to transform and display, but today's TF are action figures as well as transforming robots. They have more play value, even if most don't make me want to collect them.

The dubbing of the Japan-only eps is indeed atrocious from what I've seen. You can find plenty about the plots and characters on the net, though: www.primesaber.com is a good place to start.

Old 2004-01-19, 12:44 AM   #23
DrSpengler
Primus

Quote:
Originally posted by Civ
As for the Japanese series, I didn't even know they existed until I started going online; however, since they are considered a part of G1, I might check them out. I have heard that the dubbing is horrendous though.
I hope you're talking about the english dub because the Japanese dub is superb. Each actor seems to be doing their best to mimic the English actors. There are a few which sound drastically different then what we're used to (Starscream) but the actors make it work.

A lot of people who complain about the Japanese dub are people who don't speak a word of Japanese and haven't a clue what they're saying.

IMO they have no place judging it good or bad since all they hear is gibberish rather than dialogue.

Old 2004-01-19, 12:53 AM   #24
Civ
News-"breaker"-in-Training

Pennsylvania

I was referring to the English dub. One question though, if it's a Japanese show to begin with how is it Japanese dubbed then?

Thanks, Zeeks! Great job!
Old 2004-01-19, 02:08 AM   #25
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Lightbulb

It was produced by Japanese animation studios for a Western company (Hasbro).

Spengs has written a compilatory essay on the subject:

http://tfarchive.com/visions/showent...?&voc_item=181

Old 2004-01-19, 02:16 AM   #26
Sixswitch
Rameses Niblik The Third, Kerplunk Kerplunk, Whoops, Where's My Thribble

Sent to outer space, to find another happy place.

Personally I don't like many of the early G1 toys. I simply don't find them aesthetically pleasing. There are exceptions of course (Tracks, Skids, Metroplex, the Dinobots spring to mind), and there are others that I like despite their blockiness (Hot Spot, Onslaught). Most though, are quite bleh.

I actually prefer many of the Season 3 toys to be honest. Most notably here, Misfire, Triggerhappy, Slugslinger, the Autobot Headmasters, the Technobots and Scorponok.

Oh, and Micromasters rock!

-Ss

I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Old 2004-01-19, 05:44 AM   #27
bluekatt

residing in the upper echelon of unpredictatbility

hmmm
i came in to the transformers via the cartoons on sky and later on the toys and translated in to dutch ( and butcherd i might add ) comics
later on i apreciated the comics more since the tv series was discontinued and the quality of the comics sore when furman began to wrote the us stories as well
nowadays i can see the glaring inconsistensies plot oversights and plain stupid plots of the orghinal three season series though season 3 is far better because it attempts to be slightly more mature
i dont hate the cartoon per say the glaring faults are just far more obvious then they were when i was young
to me i prefer the comics followed by the toys season 3 headmasters and season 1 and 2 trailling after wards

nowadays i am more comic orentated and i can take the cartoon for what it is an amusing but flawed piece of animation

and if you cut your self you wil think you are happy

come as you are as you were as i want you to be come doused in mud soaked in bleach come as a friend as a known enemy
Old 2004-01-19, 05:50 PM   #28
RED EVIL

CA

look. i felt that G1 US show was great for what it was, it kicks so much ass compared to most cartoon shows. and if it wasn't for that none of us would be in this forum we would be in a diaclone forum or somthing else right now. the thing that made beast wars and G2 great were there links to G1. I watched the show growing up and starting finding the comics around my house and read them when i 1st got to be a teenager. i do admit i liked the US comic storylines better than the TV show. Beast wars got really good once they made the connection to G1 with Ravage coming from Cybertron and with Starscream showing up. G1 had good plots, good characters, and appealed to child,teenager, and adults. what i don't understand is how ya'll can bash a great cartoon like Transformers G1 yet anyone aplaud that disgraceful anime CAR robots/ robots in diguise show. that almost made me stop liking Bruticus when i saw that damn show. "Super blaster" said a million times in an episode. so the Transformers cartoon had animation and coloring mistakes, and maybe somtimes the plot didn't really connect and the shows came out in a weird order. o well it was still a great show, the toys rocked, and the comics ruled.
now anyone want to comment on this?

----------------------------------------------------
DECEPTICONS FOREVER!
Old 2004-01-19, 06:00 PM   #29
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

Sure, I'll comment.

People praise RID over the original cartoon because it had a story to it. Every episode affected the rest of the episodes. There was no reset button, which the original cartoon suffered from.

Old 2004-01-19, 06:04 PM   #30
bluekatt

good plots ?
name a few then
dark awakening was great surley
the return of optimus prime was not bad either just to bad it had a glaring plot hole in the form of prime's un scathed body
five faces of darkness maybe ?...maybe not
masqurade ?
the key to vector sigma 1 and 2 war dawn ?

beast wars was already good before the agenda three parter
watch code of hero and then dare to tell me that is not good
yes the cartoon is the reason i am here for sure
but the cartoon is not as good as it once was and the comic is both story and charactarisation wise better then the cartoon ( im rather idiffernt towards the toys )

lets ignore the japanese continuity most fans have never heard\seen those

incidently i hate rid (robots in disgust ) the show repulses me and i find it even more grating then the appaling star tv dub off head masters

and a diaclone forum ?...interesting
though i would be more likley to be found in a gundam forum in that case

come as you are as you were as i want you to be come doused in mud soaked in bleach come as a friend as a known enemy
Old 2004-01-19, 06:08 PM   #31
bluekatt

Quote:
Originally posted by PaladinPrime
Sure, I'll comment.

People praise RID over the original cartoon because it had a story to it. Every episode affected the rest of the episodes. There was no reset button, which the original cartoon suffered from.
thats the only merit rid has over the orginal cartoon other wise its child orentated garbage with weak stories idiotic enemies and too much slapstick violence and too weird to be good weak humor

Old 2004-01-19, 06:16 PM   #32
RED EVIL

CA

that had to be the worst storyline. that ruined characters for me. it ruined scourge and almost bruticus for me. hey it wasnt like a reset button either it was just another story to go to. its like watching MASH if anyone watches that, there are some related things and tell about how new characters get there but otherwise each episode is a new story. oh and ya'll prefer this kinda storyline, autobots vs. predacons for nothing, predacons are idiots, then megatron who is a predacon makes the decepticons from autobot protoforms. decepticons search for Fortress Maximus who has no brain going "uhhhhh" lke frankenstein all day and then Megs becomes Galvy from a ball and only his colors change. sounds great. To me no other Tf cartoon can compare to the Transformers original. i liked the fact that each story was a separate story but if they wanted it to last longer then they would have a miniseries. its the same way G.I.Joe went to. it was cool, stop bashing it like mad, ya'll are overbashing it to death. this is the 1st time i've bashed RID here and ill stop after this. just u all hafta to realise that you all liked it at one point. and if we never had that show no other Tf's would be here

DECEPTICONS FOREVER!
Old 2004-01-19, 06:22 PM   #33
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally posted by bluekatt
thats the only merit rid has over the orginal cartoon other wise its child orentated garbage with weak stories idiotic enemies and too much slapstick violence and too weird to be good weak humor
Actually, the G1 cartoon suffers from weak stories and idiotic enemies. It's also notable that the humor in RiD is intentional rather than a consequence of poor animation.

I don't see how anyone can criticize RiD over the original cartoon. In comparison RiD comes out much better...

1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Old 2004-01-19, 06:23 PM   #34
gazometer_96

Scotland

Quote:
season 3 is far better because it attempts to be slightly more mature
fair enough but could you explain the whole wheelie thing, you say season 3 is more mature but out of any character he is the one that makes me cringe the most

Old 2004-01-19, 06:25 PM   #35
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally posted by RED EVIL
this is the 1st time i've bashed RID here and ill stop after this. just u all hafta to realise that you all liked it at one point. and if we never had that show no other Tf's would be here
I don't have to discuss whether I like the orginal cartoon or not to make a comparison between it's quality as compared to RiD.

Old 2004-01-19, 06:40 PM   #36
RED EVIL

CA

Quote:
Originally posted by gazometer_96
fair enough but could you explain the whole wheelie thing, you say season 3 is more mature but out of any character he is the one that makes me cringe the most
as do i about wheelie, but every series has a character that is stupid and you loath them the whole series. and RID will never EEEEEEVVVVVVEEEEEERRRRRRR come out to be better than the Original cartoon. Sure the Decepticons retreated alot but so did the beast wars predacons and RID's Decepticons. at least Megatron in the original always carried out most of his plans and was almost always in battle. the thing about the original show is that the movie was a great stepping stone for it connected plots to the 3 season and made it even better.

DECEPTICONS FOREVER!
Old 2004-01-19, 07:03 PM   #37
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
and RID will never EEEEEEVVVVVVEEEEEERRRRRRR come out to be better than the Original cartoon. Sure the Decepticons retreated alot but so did the beast wars predacons and RID's Decepticons. at least Megatron in the original always carried out most of his plans and was almost always in battle. the thing about the original show is that the movie was a great stepping stone for it connected plots to the 3 season and made it even better.
Ok first of all, Megatron's plan in RiD was to awaken Fortress Maximus and use him to conquer his enemies and for world domination. In the original cartoon Megatron's plans ranged from making a cannon to destroy the Autobots, but only if they come within range, to using a powerful laser to make the Autobots really hot. You tell me which sounds less ridiculous.

Sure G1 Megs was in battle, he had to be, his plans never worked and his troops were idiots.

The Transformers movie is only entertaining for about a half hour and only barely so. It's a stepping stone to season 3 but not a great one.

Sure season 3 is better than season 2, but that's not saying a whole lot. Season 3 suffers from many of the same ridiculous plots and animation errors that the other 2 seasons do, it just happens to have the one or two gems that the series produced.

Sure you can compare the best of G1 to the best of RiD and probably say that G1 comes out better looking but I can take the worst of RiD and say that it's better than 90% of the original...

Old 2004-01-19, 07:17 PM   #38
RID Scourge
Lurking

Quote:
good plots ?
name a few then
Mirage's Betrayal-Mirage pretends to be working for teh predacons, and not even his best friend, Iron Hide, knows that he's pretending.

The Decepticons-The predacons capture the protoform crew of an autobot space ship, and Megatron corrupts their programming, creating the decepticons

Ultra Magnus/Ultra Magnus: Forced Fusion-Two-part episode, introducing Ultra Magnus, the most badass character in the series, and Omega Prime, the fusion of Magnus and Prime.

The Two Faces of Ultra Magnus-Ultra Magnus pretends to join the decepticons in order to capture Megs, but the autobot brothers almost ruin his plans.

Peril From the Past-The o-parts are assembled, and the autobots go looking for the orb of sigma. Megs gets the orb, merged with the o-parts. This unleashes an energy that floods his spark. Sideburn gets the orb of sigma back. Omega Prime and Megs have an epic battle in which it looks as if Megs might have been destroyed, but he emerges from the Pyramid as Galvatron.

Surprize Attack/Galvatron's Revenge/The Final Battle-Three-part finale to RID. The three episodes are one giant battle, with every character in the series.

Last edited by RID Scourge; 2004-01-19 at 07:19 PM.
Old 2004-01-19, 07:26 PM   #39
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Lightbulb

Quote:
now anyone want to comment on this?
Yes. Bother to use paragraphs and more people will read your posts.

Old 2004-01-19, 07:58 PM   #40
RID Scourge
Lurking

Quote:
autobots vs. predacons for nothing, predacons are idiots, then megatron who is a predacon makes the decepticons from autobot protoforms. decepticons search for Fortress Maximus who has no brain going "uhhhhh" lke frankenstein all day and then Megs becomes Galvy from a ball and only his colors change.
OK, since you want to be a sarcastic jackass about it, so will I.

In the cartoon, you've got autobots vs. the decepticons for nothing as well (well, it's basically the same reason, so by your logic, it's nothing). Nevermind the fact that the autobots were instructed to stop the preds from gathering energy and taking over.

Megs make the decepticons from autobot protoforms. What's the problem with that? The preds created other preds from corrupted maximal protoforms, but that's not part of "G1," and G1 r0xx0rz d00d!!!!!!1111one

Who cares if FT Max doesn't have a brain. He really didn't have one in the original cartoon either. He was just a big machine, controled by Spike, but I forgot that that's from "g1," so it's effin' genious.

Don't underestimate the power of balls to do things. It was a blue ball that killed Unicron (he, he, blue balls). Oh wait, that ball was inside an orange with handlebars. Gee, what was I thinking? That make so much more sense, and is so much better.

You're right. I was wrong to criticize the greatness of G1. All other cartoons suck, and everyone who doesn't like G1 should be killed because I'm a f*cktard, and what I say goes. But wait! I didn't like G1 before, so I deserve to die. If anyone needs me, I'll be killing myself. Ta, ta!

Gee, it's fun being a sh*thead. Maybe if I keep practicing, I'll be just as good as you.

Closed Thread