• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-19, 08:05 PM   #41
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Let's not derail this into a flame war please.

You don't have to insult someone to make your point.

1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Old 2004-01-19, 08:07 PM   #42
Civ
News-"breaker"-in-Training

Pennsylvania

He may have been sarcastic but at least he did not resort to flaming and direct name-calling that resembles the maturity of little kids. So what he doesn't use in sentence structure, he makes up for it in other ways.

From what I've been reading between the difference of G1 and RiD is that RiD uses a lot of concepts that weren't even thought of until later on in the whole Transformers world. The exception may be Fortress Maximus because I don't know when he was developed. The first time I ever heard the term "protoforms" was in Beast Wars, so how could G1 use it if they didn't think of it yet?

Thanks, Zeeks! Great job!
Old 2004-01-19, 08:08 PM   #43
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

Give PP a break, we've had to deal with rabid fanboys forever. Quite frankly, anyone who mangles the English language to that extent and is still a native speaker and not retarded deserves a physical beatdown...

Old 2004-01-19, 08:17 PM   #44
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally posted by Civ
He may have been sarcastic but at least he did not resort to flaming and direct name-calling that resembles the maturity of little kids.
Agreed!
Quote:
From what I've been reading between the difference of G1 and RiD is that RiD uses a lot of concepts that weren't even thought of until later on in the whole Transformers world. The exception may be Fortress Maximus because I don't know when he was developed. The first time I ever heard the term "protoforms" was in Beast Wars, so how could G1 use it if they didn't think of it yet?
RiD gets praise because the plot was better than the original series. That's not a concept that was unheard of at the time the original cartoon was being created...

Old 2004-01-19, 08:17 PM   #45
Sixswitch
Rameses Niblik The Third, Kerplunk Kerplunk, Whoops, Where's My Thribble

Sent to outer space, to find another happy place.

Ummm... Physical beatdown?

Personally I prefer the original G1 cartoon to RID.

Why?

The animation. Sure, there were probably (having not seen most of RID) mistakes in the G1 animation, but the style on the whole, and the look of the show as a whole was considerably better. RID uses a lot of fuzzy/not crisp edges in the animation (don't know the technical term), which doesn't appeal to me. I also dislike the static backgrounds used in RID, nor do I like the overexagerated movements of some of the characters.

The soundtrack. Not a whole lot to comment on about the RID soundtrack. I definitely prefered the voice acting in the original, and certainly the score was better too.

The humour in RID was appalling. Saying that it was intentional doesn't justify it over the humour in G1 in any sense. Accidental bad jokes vs deliberate bad jokes? Both in the same boat if you ask me.

The generally more anime style of RID didn't appeal to me. It just seemed much more 'kiddy' than what I normally appreciate. Both shows were aimed at the same age groups, but I definitely found the style of G1 to be less annoying than RID.

I can't comment on the individual plots of RID, as I've not seen enough of it to make a fair judgement. Most of the plots in G1 weren't actually that bad. Sure, there were some dire ones, but I'm sure there are more than a few dire episodes in RID too.

Don't get me started on Armada, because I can't stand that show (but I've only watched a few early episodes). Similarly, don't get me started on Beast Wars (because I'd be here all night telling you exactly why it's about 2 billion times better than the original).

Oh and I enjoyed the Movie. Say what you will about it, I found it good. I'm sure I've stated elsewhere why I felt this, so if you're truly that interested (who would be?), then go look it up.

Oh and the comics suck. Totally and utterly and irrevocably.

Ah yes, one last thing. Beast Wars did not Get Good when the links to G1 were established. It was good long, long before that. In fact, the links to G1 were only established at the very end of Season 2, and most fans credit Season 2 as being the best season of Beast Wars. Do the math.

EDIT: I don't think REDEVIL was being particularly fanboyish. The only thing that is laughable is his 'if G1 hadn't existed, we wouldn't be here.' Which of course, is rubbish.

-Ss

I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"

Last edited by Sixswitch; 2004-01-19 at 08:24 PM.
Old 2004-01-19, 08:17 PM   #46
Civ

Pennsylvania

So excusing his flame is acceptable as long as it is towards a "fanboy"? Let me see if I can understand this, anyone that likes the G1 cartoon and in their own opinion thinks it is better than all of the other forms of media for transfandom is considered a fanboy? What is so wrong with that? REDEVIL stated his opinions in a mature matter whereas PP went off the deep end and this is acceptable? Is it just me or does that not make any sense?

As for his sentence structure. He can convey his point and in the end, that's all that really matters.

Old 2004-01-19, 08:19 PM   #47
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

No, a mature manner would've involved sentences, paragraphs, and punctuation...

Frankly, yes, flaming fanboys is acceptable here, at least it was when Cliffy was here regularly because there are people that just can't be reasoned with...

Old 2004-01-19, 08:29 PM   #48
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

It's not neccessary to call someone an idiot to point out that there view is idiotic. Let's stop the name calling and we can all be happy. Is that too much to ask?

Old 2004-01-19, 08:31 PM   #49
Civ

Pennsylvania

A mature manner involves proper grammar? Well, that's far different from anything I've ever experienced at the forums I've posted at. Some of the most mature posters I've ever seen, do not use proper grammar. In my humble opinion, maturity stems from a person being able to state their opinions in a way that people can understand and don't directly insult them via flaming.

Speaking of flaming, it's ok to flame the people that don't conform to the forum norm? I'm sorry, I just don't see the logic in that. If a person has a different view and can back up their view, then that should be perfectly acceptable and respected.

Old 2004-01-19, 08:38 PM   #50
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

I never said it was right or wrong, I just pointed out how that's the way things are. It's not that his view disagrees, it's that it disagrees and refuses to budge. If you'd been around this forum long enough and held the more enlightened viewpoints on the TF media, you'd likely excuse the flaming.

I'm not saying PP's right per se, but perhaps we shouldn't all jump on his back...especially when we allowed Cliffy the same liberties.

Old 2004-01-19, 08:41 PM   #51
Civ

Pennsylvania

The enlightened viewpoints of the TF media? And what are those specifically?

Old 2004-01-19, 08:41 PM   #52
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sixswitch
I can't comment on the individual plots of RID, as I've not seen enough of it to make a fair judgement. Most of the plots in G1 weren't actually that bad. Sure, there were some dire ones, but I'm sure there are more than a few dire episodes in RID too.
Having seen every episode of both I can say that out of the 35 or so episodes of RiD only about 4 or 5 stick out as bad. As compared to the original where out of 98 about 10 of those are as good as RiD.

Aside from the soundtrack and voices I disagree with about every point of comparison you made.

The animation in RiD is much better, but I'm a fan of anime so that style is fine in my opinion.

Intentional humor that's bad is slightly more accapotable to me than episodes so terribly animated or dialogued that they invoke laughter.

Old 2004-01-19, 08:48 PM   #53
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally posted by Civ
The enlightened viewpoints of the TF media? And what are those specifically?
What Auros means (at least I think what he means) is that if you stubbornly refuse to acknowledge a viewpoint from another side of an arguement you aren't likely to find yourself recieving much respect in this forum. This is the way it has always been here.

Having said that, I don't think that RED DEVIL and bluekatt are behaving in such a manner and that their views deserve the same amount of respect as anyone elses, however wrong they may be.

Old 2004-01-19, 08:53 PM   #54
Civ

Pennsylvania

Ah, I see. Now, I understand a little better about how this forum runs. Treat others with respect and you in turn will earn respect. Now this is a different from the other forums that I post at.

Old 2004-01-19, 08:55 PM   #55
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally posted by Civ
Now this is a different from the other forums that I post at.
I'm sorry...

Old 2004-01-19, 08:56 PM   #56
Sixswitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Hound
Having seen every episode of both I can say that out of the 35 or so episodes of RiD only about 4 or 5 stick out as bad. As compared to the original where out of 98 about 10 of those are as good as RiD.

Aside from the soundtrack and voices I disagree with about every point of comparison you made.
Good for you, have a cookie!

Incidentally, where does Secret of the Ruins stand on the RID scale? It's the only one I've seen.

Quote:
The animation in RiD is much better, but I'm a fan of anime so that style is fine in my opinion.
And I dislike the anime style, so... We're quits.

Quote:
Intentional humor that's bad is slightly more accapotable to me than episodes so terribly animated or dialogued that they invoke laughter. [/B]
I don't think there were any truly terrible animation or dialogues in G1. There were a lot of bad ones sure, but not on the apoclyptic scale that many people would suggest. Certainly I've never laughed at 'em.

-Ss

I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"

Last edited by Sixswitch; 2004-01-19 at 08:59 PM.
Old 2004-01-19, 09:01 PM   #57
Civ

Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally posted by Hound
I'm sorry...
The other forums aren't bad, just different. Things can be good even if they are different.

Old 2004-01-19, 09:18 PM   #58
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sixswitch
Good for you, have a cookie!
I will, thank you
Quote:
Incidentally, where does Secret of the Ruins stand on the RID scale? It's the only one I've seen.
If I'm remembering it correctly I'd say mid-ish
Quote:
I don't think there were any truly terrible animation or dialogues in G1. There were a lot of bad ones sure, but not on the apoclyptic scale that many people would suggest. Certainly I've never laughed at 'em.
You've seen Carnage in C-Minor right? Soundwave speaking with Dr. Claw's voice. Two Starscreams in the same frame. FFOD. Surely you don't find that to be minor mistakes...

Old 2004-01-19, 09:26 PM   #59
Sixswitch

Wink

Ah, with the exception of Carnage in C Minor. I'd subconciously blocked that one from my memory. Thanks very much Hound... Weeks of psychotherapy undone with one misplaced sentence. Meh.

-Ss

Old 2004-01-19, 09:46 PM   #60
Savannahtron
Micromaster Gestalt

Savannah, GA

I liked Season 4, all 3 episodes of it.

Actually I like the cartoons, and the comics. Looking back the first 3 episodes of Transformers was like a made for tv movie that had all of my friends and I *along with almost every other boy my age at the time* scrambling to get Transformer toys.

The comic book came out shortly after, and we started reading it, but I was not really into comics that much at 9, and by the time I was 12 and started collecting comics, I was into X-Men, and had stopped playing with my TFs, or reading about them.

The cartoon and comic were both a means of advertising, but the cartoon moreso because characters were introduced into the plot with no explanation of how they came to be, or where they had been previously, as done in the BW series. The protoform for the BW series allowed the same device of introducing new charachters into the series with a reasonable explanation, while not inundating the cast with fly by night bots as in the G1 series. Marvel had only the comic book, but because of their trend to tie in story lines, and introduce charactors, a lot of fans liked the format better.

The comics allowed more in depth characterization and being the secondary form of mass advertisement, a lot of pressure was taken off of because of the cartoon.

The whole ficticious realm of the Transformers was created to sell a toy line, and now is carrying on that tradition, but they are trying to cater more to the adult audience *ie Binal Tech Tfs* but it is hard to please everyone all of the time.

Closed Thread