• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2004-03-18, 03:39 PM   #41
Arcee

Germany. Status: not blonde

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman
I hated the fact that in Beast Wars every other word out of Megatron's mouth was "Yes."
No, it was "Yeeeessssssssssssssss."

Arcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 04:36 PM   #42
The Wild One
Get 'em Kitty!

Trapped at the anal sphyncter of the world.

Quote:
Starscreem is dead
Maybe he is thinking about the voice actor being dead. Just a guess.

It's time to get wild!!!!!
The Wild One

Last edited by The Wild One; 2004-03-18 at 04:38 PM.
The Wild One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 04:54 PM   #43
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Arcee
If Starscream "doesn't have a character" and is "a dull cypher", how come us Starscream fans can write whole essays about his motivations?
Pfff, I could write an essay about the motivations of Getsuei if I really wanted to, it doesn't mean a thing... Extrapolation is a wonderful thing. Prowl fans write an essay on his part in the cartoon, where he's undeniably "car Transformer #3" in every episode he features in.

Starscream as most official Transformers media have portrayed him is a dull cypher. In the kids' show, he's the staple treacherous lieutenant, and aside from a few random background bits of info that are rarely referred to [he's a scientist, etc.] that's about as deep as he went. The cartoon character was further crucified by the fact the original series' episodes were designed to be watch only once but kids with a short attention span, so he never, ever gets anywhere, and he and everyone else looks stupid because he's doing the same old thing next week.

While much of his early comic characterisation isn't much better, though in The Underbase Saga at the very least he actually does something. Not builts a combiner so he's got the leverage to be Megatron's bitch again, not throwing someone already crippled and probably hated by all his troops into space, he actually has the clear plan of "nick Power Source> become god-like being > kill Transformers". He gets all three points before his greed takes him down. Similarly, by the time Furman takes over the US run, he's actually acting on his ambitions. Not sitting in a corner going "oooh Scorponok, one day I will be leader", no, he joins up with Shockwave to seize power again. And then there's G2, where he steals the Matrix and bonds himself to the Warworld.

I'm not especially against Starscream per se, it's just that he's an excuse for lazy writing, and I'd rather not have a movie full stop than have a film with a War & Peace style Screamer in it so legions of his obsessive fans can cream in their pants.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 06:04 PM   #44
Sixswitch
Rameses Niblik The Third, Kerplunk Kerplunk, Whoops, Where's My Thribble

Sent to outer space, to find another happy place.
Wink

Some crazy fans even write essays on the female Autobots...

-Ss

Sixswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 06:28 PM   #45
Dinobot
I Am Leeds

Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Personally, I think a non-huge director would really help...
I agree with that. I would much rather see a TF fan who cares about how the film is going to look than some big name director who's going to take up half the budget simply to get him to direct the movie.

As for the voice actors, I don't really care but if I was pushed I would have to say Chalk and Kaye. I also agree with SCSW, Scott McNeil should be involved. He did some great voice work on Beast Wars - Dinobot, Rattrap etc. He can do great voices to suit the characters and such varying voices; I found it hard to believe the same guy voiced those two characters.

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
Dinobot - Code Of Hero
Dinobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 06:30 PM   #46
Arcee

Germany. Status: not blonde

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wild One
Maybe he is thinking about the voice actor being dead. Just a guess.
Um, Corax is a "she".

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
The cartoon character was further crucified by the fact the original series' episodes were designed to be watch only once but kids with a short attention span, so he never, ever gets anywhere, and he and everyone else looks stupid because he's doing the same old thing next week.
Oh, yes! Yes! Sometimes I could've screamed at the cartoon writers, "For f***s sake, let Starscream acheive something for a change!"

I mean, the way it was, the scheme was "Starscream does some half-baked attempt to overthrow Megatron > attempt fails within the scope of one episode > Starscream ends up down on his knees, whimpering for his life, while Megatron shoves his fusion cannon into his face".

Quote:
Originally posted by Sixswitch
Some crazy fans even write essays on the female Autobots...

-Ss
Ouch!

Arcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 09:45 PM   #47
The Wild One
Get 'em Kitty!

Quote:
Originally posted by Arcee
Um, Corax is a "she".
Umm.....Oops.

The Wild One
Old 2004-03-19, 02:30 AM   #48
Corvus Corax

great white north

was i the only one who watched starscream get toasted inthe movie? and if the "new" movie is g1 based.. last i recall the most starscream achieved was a fade status...

since i haven't seen all of the armada etc.. i have no idea there.. but i remember him being a ghost in BW.

edit: and yes i am either female or a horribly deformed and mutilated male who gave birth in the worst way possible twice...

The Celts do not fear death, for us it is only the path to the other land.

Optimus Prime: Laserbeak, you tinfoil turkey!

http://www.ceyllynn.com
Corvus Corax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 02:31 AM   #49
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Corvus Corax
was i the only one who watched starscream get toasted inthe movie? and if the "new" movie is g1 based..
Well, you were clearly one of the ones who missed Unicron giving him a new body in "Ghost in the Machine" [Season 3].

Old 2004-03-19, 02:35 AM   #50
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

Um...the G1 Transformers continuity isn't contained solely in a poorly-written children's cartoon either.

There was a comic at the time too and there's a new comic series now...not to mention the fact that they may very well come up with their own damn original continuity...

Sir Auros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 02:42 AM   #51
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Aye... I doubt they'll tie it to any continuity. Best bet - either a "Generation Zero" with them arriving on Earth for the first time, which'll allow a few liberties with characters, or the same rough set-up as the first volume of DW G1 - as in "The Transformers were here 20 years ago - now where are they?", rather than the whole Lazarus ****.

If it's the former, I'd expect not a lot on Cybertron, due to the problem of establishing recognisable characters, then having them altered to Earth modes.

Or it could be Alternators...

Old 2004-03-19, 02:44 AM   #52
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

I mean, god forbid the dare to f*ck with our oh-so-precious childhood memories of a dozen or so achetypes running around firing guns at each other and almost hitting and going nowhere week after week...

Old 2004-03-19, 02:51 AM   #53
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

For me, it's going to really need a decent plot more than anything else. It doesn't need to be The Usual Suspects, but I don't think "They're Transforming robots, isn't that great?" will cut it any more, whatever the special effects. With the nostalgia bubble seeming to wobble a bit, this could be one shot, and it needs to count.

Old 2004-03-19, 02:51 AM   #54
Corvus Corax

great white north

this is taken from the episode guide here on the archive site....

" The Decepticons then see Starscream stumbling helplessly through space and Galvatron opens fire on Starscream and the former Decepticon dies again. Later, on Cybertron, Rodimus Prime decides to let Astrotrain and Scourge go free since they helped the Autobots beat Unicron and Starscream. Rodimus Prime then tells the Autobots that they will build new eyes for Metroplex since the originals were probably destroyed in the explosion on Unicron's head. The eyes, however, are found to still be functioning in Unicron and he is still alive, unlike Starscream."

but i guess.. the site is wrong..

Old 2004-03-19, 02:55 AM   #55
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

It's certainly taken a one-tailed view of an ambiguous event.

Old 2004-03-19, 03:00 AM   #56
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

Starscream's ghost clearly lived on...see Beast Wars for further details.

Still doesn't change the fact that the cartoon continuity is only one of several possible Transformers canons...

Old 2004-03-19, 03:11 AM   #57
Corvus Corax

great white north

as i said before, i remembered him as a ghost on BW. continuity would be nice for a change since they have been jumping around ever since... it's a mess...

then orginal transformers...

bw was supposed to be old earth if i remember correctly(some sorta timewarp thingy).. and starscream who dies way in the futures ghost comes back and takes over waspinator(sp)in the past... then they go back to cybertron

and somewhere inbetween and around are rid, armada, headmasters, comics, and now energon.... and just about each and everyone one of them has a diff take on beginnings for every aspect.. never mind name chages for characters for copyrites, voice changes, alligence changes...

as i said some form of continuity would be nice, whether it be the voices , appreances, or SOMETHING that can fit and make sense for a change.

Last edited by Corvus Corax; 2004-03-19 at 03:13 AM.
Old 2004-03-19, 03:17 AM   #58
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

The comic predated the cartoon. The cartoon is not the be-all and end-all. The cartoon had no continuity from episode to episode, so why should its' "continuity" be the basis for a movie?

The [Western] G1 cartoon timeline runs thus: -

Seasons 1-2
TF:TM
Seasons 3-4
Beast Wars [it just happens to take place in prehistoric times, much like, as you mentioned being a Star Trek fan, "City on the Edge of Forever" doesn't happen before, say, "The Cage"]
Beast Machines

The biggest problems in that timeline come from the original cartoon.

RiD is a new universe, no need for continuity.
Armada and Energon are a third new Western TV universe, which only need to link to each other.

You need to begin dealing with this. The reasons things aren't like the original cartoon is that they're not meant to be. It's like expecting JMS to be limited to writing like Stan Lee.

Old 2004-03-19, 03:19 AM   #59
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Lightbulb

Quote:
"Rodimus Prime then tells the Autobots that they will build new eyes for Metroplex since the originals were probably destroyed in the explosion on Unicron's head. The eyes, however, are found to still be functioning in Unicron and he is still alive, unlike Starscream."

but i guess.. the site is wrong..
Personally I regard Starscream to be clearly alive when last seen, and it's far from clear how powerful Unicron remains.

The trouble with any guide is that there's always a certain amount of interpretation involved. Chances are that whoever wrote that assumed that being blasted into space was enough to kill him, possibly in time to be sucked elsewhere for BW.

Although I don't think BW can be reconciled with any version of 'G1' continuity we've seen, with the possible exception of Dreamwave's.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-19, 03:57 AM   #60
The Wild One
Get 'em Kitty!

Quote:
was i the only one who watched starscream get toasted inthe movie? and if the "new" movie is g1 based.. last i recall the most starscream achieved was a fade status...

since i haven't seen all of the armada etc.. i have no idea there.. but i remember him being a ghost in BW.

edit: and yes i am either female or a horribly deformed and mutilated male who gave birth in the worst way possible twice...
Sorry, I meant no offense. I just didn't check.

The Wild One