• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2004-03-20, 09:14 AM   #141
Blacknife

NE

As far as the Don board, yes, naturally there's a lot of "Must be G1 cartoon based" rheotoric on there, not only that, many posters feel a need to open their own topics because Murphy has mentioned he goes through all messages {I imagine he'll have one hell of a hook up with his pharmacist and may land a spokesperson deal with any pharmacutical company that produces acetimenophen in mass quantities and will remember next time not to actually say something like that...} .
Barring that, I've all ready bothered the admin about moderation and well I think Murphy is the only admin.
But, there is good discussion to find amid the mess and rheotoric, almost like any other TF forum, one often has to sift through the junk to get to some good stuff {I must say, I haven't been here enough yet to give that kind of judgement.}

Now, I've tried to catch up, but I think the VA's are really what made the original TF cartoon more than it was. If they hadn't done their job and enjoyed it, then we'd have nothing. They made the personalities even though they were cardboard cut out ones.
And, I think that these guys have more than enough to do something with seriousness and not have it reek of typical cartoon fare.
As far as music, I'd like a full orchestral score, maybe with some heavy metal tossed in ala Metallica S&M, but no vocals. Save the thematic pop culture songs for the end credits. But, I'd think the movie would be better off with only full orchestral.
Desantos has mentioned in interviews that he wants to harken back to an eighties feel with this movie, so to me that translates to "Elliot meets Transformers rather than E.T."

Blacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 09:46 AM   #142
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by Blacknife
Desantos has mentioned in interviews that he wants to harken back to an eighties feel with this movie, so to me that translates to "Elliot meets Transformers rather than E.T."
So you'd assume we will be getting a TKWHOWtTF movie?

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 11:09 AM   #143
Blast-Off

Helsinki, Finland
Default Re: Re: Wouldn't mind

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevermore
By the way, did anyone see the thread at Don Murphy's board about "Why doesn't Hasbro dio a new G1 series, same story, just new animation?" I start to think G1 fanboy's fantasy dream world would be a world where it's always 1984 and TV reruns the original 55 pre-TF:TM G1 episodes for all eternity...

NO!!

I'd accept post-movie episodes also.

Blast-Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 01:23 PM   #144
Sixswitch
Rameses Niblik The Third, Kerplunk Kerplunk, Whoops, Where's My Thribble

Sent to outer space, to find another happy place.

Not at all Cliffy. All I will say is that there was a healthy dose of bad attitude coming from both sides of the arguement. Oh and fort_max. Don't try to tell me what I should consider good and bad. Thanks.

Anyway, back on track. You can bet your life that Spike will play a very important role in this film. Like Nevermore said, audiences need a human presence in a leading role to identify with the film usually (if it's live-action, that is). I'm just hoping that we don't get a Spike/Bumblebee buddy picture, because that will suck terribly.

-Ss

I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Sixswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 03:50 PM   #145
verytired
Vegan, and...

Leicester

Me no understand, what live action mean? will it be sean connery on screen turning to big red truck? (Grimlock impersonation copyrightedby dumbass productions)

verytired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 05:25 PM   #146
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally posted by Sixswitch
Oh and fort_max. Don't try to tell me what I should consider good and bad. Thanks.
I apologize if that is how my comments came across, because that's not how they were meant, and they certainly weren't directed at you.

I simply don't understand how anyone can ignore for any length of time the flaws in the original cartoon. That's not to say someone can't like the show. Hell, I do. I just have a realistic view of the production quality, and I don't appreciate that most everyone takes that as 'Well, fort_max hates it'. I don't hate, but it's far from the greatest show I've ever seen.

That's all I was trying to say, and I apologize that it was not more clear.

Dead Man Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 05:32 PM   #147
Ozz
One with the Matrix

I'm on the roof and I'm staring at the stars...
Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by verytired
will it be sean connery on screen turning to big red truck?
No, but DeNiro I wouldn't mind.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 05:40 PM   #148
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

The scary thing to me is the rumored 40 million dollar budget for the movie.

40 million?

In order for this movie to look good, it will have to take at least 100 million. Anything below this, and we're in trouble.

My gut feeling is that they are waiting to see how the GiJoe movie will do, then base their launch of the Transformers on that.

Commander Shockwav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 05:53 PM   #149
Arcee

Germany. Status: not blonde

Quote:
Originally posted by Sixswitch
Like Nevermore said, audiences need a human presence in a leading role to identify with the film usually (if it's live-action, that is). I'm just hoping that we don't get a Spike/Bumblebee buddy picture

...or Pamela Anderson as Carly.

Arcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 10:14 PM   #150
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Quote:
reformats three of those types of drones into the US military hardware.
Why, when they could do the same with sentient Decepticons?

I'd think a certain amount of drone technology would naturally be used by TFs (cannon fodder, etc) but characters who are shown don't need to be explicitly characterised in a first movie. It's possible to suggest scale of cast without necessarily using all of it...

Quote:
{I must say, I haven't been here enough yet to give that kind of judgement.}
Like any 'G1' forum, a lot of traffic is people with questions about half-remembered aspects or people with extremely rose-tinted views of a childhood era. There's quite a few people ready to debate issues, with an interest in media, etc though.

Quote:
I think the VA's are really what made the original TF cartoon more than it was. If they hadn't done their job and enjoyed it, then we'd have nothing. They made the personalities even though they were cardboard cut out ones.
I think few would disagree.

Quote:
As far as music, I'd like a full orchestral score, maybe with some heavy metal tossed in ala Metallica S&M, but no vocals. Save the thematic pop culture songs for the end credits. But, I'd think the movie would be better off with only full orchestral.
Rather worrying, yes. As far as music goes, I think the Romeo & Juliet format could work well; a lot of suitable instrumental plus contextualised background pieces and at least one stand-out song.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 10:43 PM   #151
Black Sideswipe

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
You're US-based, correct?

What's availability of the Armada/Energon cartoons like? Terrestrial or network-only? There'll be some interest from that, although I suspect any film appealing to the other demographics might not enthrall them.

The teen and young adult populations could be swung as long as the film wasn't pitched against a sure seller. Giant robots are as universal a concept as giant lizards, so if the plot gives enough back story and has one or two recognisable actors, it could take off.

A convoluted or flimsy plot would kill it extremely quickly. It'll be a fine balance if it gets to production.
I'm in the US. Both Armada and Energon cartoons were/are network-only. Armada had some stints where it aired around 6 pm every weekday. More typically though, both shows air only Saturday nights.

I don't know what kind of demographic regularly watches Cartoon Network at that time, but I would imagine it's pretty small. So, I guess mostly their audience is Transformers fans already.

IMO Armada wasn't good enough to pitch for winning more interest in Transformers, but Energon is. They might switch Energon to a better time slot once they figure that out.

Black Sideswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-21, 04:43 AM   #152
Blacknife

NE

The rumors are debunked, in a way...
http://www.donmurphy.net/board/showt...=&threadid=283

Blacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-21, 05:14 AM   #153
Hawkeye
One with the Matrix

Newfoundland, Canada.
Thumbs up

ah we have members over on the board like Denyer? good! i salute you for doing your part in making sure Don murphy isnt bombarded by idiocy

. "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote