• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > Other Toys, Cartoons & Comics

Old 2004-03-20, 08:09 PM   #1
Adams

Bath
Question XMEN - age of apocolypse.

Evening!
I have recently been digging through my old comics, I started at pretty much the beginning of my collection, which was when the whole AoA saga kicked in.

I loved this series. I didnt know a great deal about Xmen, but i knew enough and I loved the idea that some things were totally different yet somehow the same.

The highlights for me were Blink and Sabretooth, the alpha and omega books and the title which Had Roigue leading the team.

Any other fans of Aoa?

Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 08:45 PM   #2
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Somewhat.

Loved Morph, Blink, and Generation Next (course I was a fan of Generation X, so...), mainly. There were other things that I did like, such as X-Man and X-Calibre.

However, things like Factor X kind of killed it for me.

Dead Man Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 08:45 PM   #3
Alpha Trion
One with the Matrix

Cleveland, OH
Thumbs up

I loved the AoA. Unfortunately, I've yet to get myself a copy of X-Men: Omega, so I have no idea how it ended. The concept was great, and they handled it quite well.

I read the AoA books retroactively, so I always wondered if readers at the time knew the AoA was just a limited-time deal. Did Marvel announce when Alpha came out that it was only oing to be a 4-5 month deal, or did they try to lead fans into thinking the AoA books would be ongoing?

Alpha Trion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 08:57 PM   #4
DrSpengler
Primus

I remember when it happened but I only picked up about 3 or four of the various issues, so I've never read the complete thing. I loved the art and redesigns and thought that some of the things they did with the characters were most unique.

Is there a TPB of the stories out yet?

DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 09:03 PM   #5
Alpha Trion
One with the Matrix

Cleveland, OH
Smile

If I'm not mistaken, all the 4-issue titles were compiled into individual books. I'd love to have a TPB with all the stories in it, but it's not likely to happen.

Old 2004-03-20, 09:11 PM   #6
DrSpengler
Primus

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpha Trion
If I'm not mistaken, all the 4-issue titles were compiled into individual books. I'd love to have a TPB with all the stories in it, but it's not likely to happen.
I'll pick up all four then, I don't mind.

I've been on a major Batman kick lately, buying up every good TPB I can get my sticky little hands on. I'm finishing up Knightfall right now and the only thing left that's any good is Cataclysym (only because I own all of No Man's Land), Year One and possibly Dark Knight Returns (though I'm not really one for alternate universe stories...except AoA, of course. )

I'll need something to keep me reading after that...

Old 2004-03-20, 09:29 PM   #7
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

Lots of German fans liked the storyline in particular. Just a few months ago, Panini Germany had planned a collected edition of the whole saga (originally only the two X-Men titles, Wolverine/Weapon X and X-Man were reprinted in Germany), but unfortunately those plans had to be abandoned at the last moment.

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 09:48 PM   #8
Alpha Trion
One with the Matrix

Cleveland, OH
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpengler
I'll pick up all four then, I don't mind.
What I meant was the 8 series that had 4 issues were collected in individual books, so there's eight of them: Astonishing X-Men, Amazing X-Men, Weapon X, X-Calibre, Factor X, Generation Next, Gambit and the X-Ternals, and X-Man. There were also two 2-issue mini-series called X-Men Chronicles and X-Universe that were never put in any TPB.

I always wanted to read X-Universe; it was about other Marvel superheroes, who were powerless in the AoA timeline.

Old 2004-03-20, 10:26 PM   #9
DrSpengler
Primus

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpha Trion
What I meant was the 8 series that had 4 issues were collected in individual books, so there's eight of them: Astonishing X-Men, Amazing X-Men, Weapon X, X-Calibre, Factor X, Generation Next, Gambit and the X-Ternals, and X-Man. There were also two 2-issue mini-series called X-Men Chronicles and X-Universe that were never put in any TPB.

I always wanted to read X-Universe; it was about other Marvel superheroes, who were powerless in the AoA timeline.
Oh...that kinda...sucks.

Eh, I'll pick em up anyway, as long as they aren't uber expensive.

Old 2004-03-20, 10:32 PM   #10
Alpha Trion
One with the Matrix

Cleveland, OH
Smile

They retail for $8.95 each.

Old 2004-03-20, 10:33 PM   #11
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpengler
Oh...that kinda...sucks.

Eh, I'll pick em up anyway, as long as they aren't uber expensive.
Good luck on finding them because I haven't seen them in quite a long time. I think they are out of print.

The X-WCW a fun site for fun people.
Cyberstrike nTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 11:34 PM   #12
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

There was someone on suprnova.org that had scans of every issue, including X-Universe and the Blink mini. Not sure if it's still there, though.

Old 2004-03-21, 09:26 AM   #13
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Great story!

I thought the little twists to each character were genius.

I loved every single issue.

What was especially great for me was that every book had really great art. I think it was the onlly time when every book had an artist I was happy with...

1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-22, 09:36 AM   #14
angloconvoy
Big Metal Person

Ichihara, Japan

One of my favourite marvel storylines ever. As I remember it, the original plan was for a limited, yet lengthy story, which was cut short due to an extreme negative backlash from fanboys (I remember reading something about death threats to the editors and the like).

angloconvoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-22, 12:59 PM   #15
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

I loved AoA... I mean, just about every book was better than its predecessor, and there were so many good ideas in there. Magneto, Quicksilver, Sunfire, X-Man before they completely ****ed him... great stuff

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-22, 09:39 PM   #16
Alpha Trion
One with the Matrix

Cleveland, OH
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by angloconvoy
One of my favourite marvel storylines ever. As I remember it, the original plan was for a limited, yet lengthy story, which was cut short due to an extreme negative backlash from fanboys (I remember reading something about death threats to the editors and the like).
Fanboys ruin everything. How that many people failed to see how great AoA was is beyond me.

Old 2004-03-22, 11:30 PM   #17
Adams

Bath

AoA is the series that kick started my love for comics, which was abandoned at the end of transformers G1.

I really must read them all over again.

Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-23, 12:53 PM   #18
Osku
One with the Matrix

Finland
Thumbs up

In Finland they published a very limited run of the storyline (Wolverine, mixed X-Men and Astonishing X-Men(?) issues, Omega). I was interested enough to search for most of the issues, but I´m still missing some issues (Excalibre, X-Generation, X-Men) so I haven´t read the whole storyline.

I liked especially Magneto´s X-Men stories and X-Man. It was also a very well (with some exceptions) done bigger "what if" storyline, that I´d have wanted to see continued a bit longer.

Osku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-25, 06:37 AM   #19
Astrotrain255

Pandemonium
Thumbs up

Well,I used to be an avid X-men fan.Alas that was quite some time ago simply because the titles arent shipping anymore to Brazil since late 1999...the last titles i've managed to grab a copy were the Magneto War volumes...Always liked those old 'What if' titles,discontinued long ago,but the AoA was much,much more than that...was specially fond of the alternate Beast and Mr.Sinister-altough his demise at X-man's hands was less than spectacular...

Around that time there was also the Rise of the Apocalypse series which were also nice.Still my all-time favorites are still the Byrne/Claremont issues...Still have a complete set of late 80's Classic X-men reprints...

Astrotrain255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-25, 06:41 AM   #20
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally posted by Astrotrain255
was specially fond of the alternate Beast
Beast in AoA was cool, but since then every alternate reality/future Beast has been either a sociopath or a moron.