• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2004-03-30, 01:08 AM   #21
Jarvas

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
Why the f*ck would they bother with a design they could never make a toy of?
They could, it would just need an orange cap on it. That's acceptable.

Old 2004-03-30, 01:17 AM   #22
deej

Brisbane, Australia

think about it for a sec fanboy.... would you really buy a megatron toy that had this great-glaring bright orange cap sitting over part of his gun? Hell no...that'd look uglier than some of the G2 colour schemes combined.... Megs as a tank would work quite happily for me... and he's such a bad-ass tank too

deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 01:35 AM   #23
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Jarvas
They could, it would just need an orange cap on it. That's acceptable.
How much do you know about legislation regarding replica toy guns? And I don't mean merely at a federal level, I'm including state variations.

For starters, it couldn't be released in California:

http://www.kovr13.com/09sep00/090500e.htm

Hasbro is not going to release one of the two most major characters in a line-up in a form which is prohibited by any of the states it's trying to sell in. To say nothing of the fact the company avoids producing any realistic firearms in favour of space lasers in neon colours (eg, Armada Lazerbeak).

Dime-store-toy companies can afford to manufacture pretty much whatever. Hasbro sells itself on a family image. If you notice, out of the many forms Megatron has taken (Galvatron, G2 tank, Combat Hero tank, Gobot car, MW jet, etc) only ONE has been a realistic firearm. It appeared in 1984, and by 1986 had been replaced with a blocky purple and grey space cannon... because laws on toy guns were already being tightened.

You want a 1984 Megatron? Flout customs regulations or do something to clear up gun crime...

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 02:02 AM   #24
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

How can you not love G2 Megatron? So far superior to the original...

Sir Auros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 02:05 AM   #25
Spiderman

Boiling Springs, SC
Default Wait a minute

How come I can go to the dollar store and buy realisitc looking smith n' western cap guns? And honestly I really think these toy laws are a little ridiculas. I really don't think that a person would mistake a toy gun for a real gun. I've heard that story involving the little boy getting shot by the cop, because he had a realistic looking toy gun. I've also heard that, that is nothing more than an urban legend. I mean if its real its a tragedy though.

Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 02:08 AM   #26
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
H
Dime-store-toy companies can afford to manufacture pretty much whatever. Hasbro sells itself on a family image.
Born stupid much?

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 02:09 AM   #27
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

I'm a huge fan of the original cartoon and G1 megatron was the coolest at the time. That being said, Megatron as a hand held firearm never made much sense to me. A tank is a more formidable adversary. G1 Megatron's arm mounted fusion cannon supposedly drew power from a distant star or something and was obviously very powerful so why transform anyways? To fit in a violin case i guess. No really, a semi truck against a .38? Uh i choose semi truck everytime. Now an M1 A1 against that same truck I think I'll put my money on the tank. Green and purple though? What the hell kinda camoflage is that? I vote for all G1 (or updated vehicals bearing original looking paint and robot modes) characters in the movie except for Megatron.

Come on and wind me up.
another tf fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 02:11 AM   #28
Alpha Trion
One with the Matrix

Cleveland, OH
Default Re: Wait a minute

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman
And honestly I really think these toy laws are a little ridiculas. I really don't think that a person would mistake a toy gun for a real gun. I've heard that story involving the little boy getting shot by the cop, because he had a realistic looking toy gun. I've also heard that, that is nothing more than an urban legend. I mean if its real its a tragedy though.
In the article Denyer linked to, it states that 3 kids in California have been shot in the last 12 years because they had realistic toy guns. It happens.

Alpha Trion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 02:16 AM   #29
deej

Brisbane, Australia

I'd have to search, but I think something similar's happened in australia too - in victoria or something... then again, the Victorian police don't need much encouragement to shoot people anyhow...

deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 02:25 AM   #30
Strafe
Certifiably not cool.

Chicago, Illinois

Quote:
Originally posted by Jarvas
They better be making him transform into a gun and look very similar to G1 Megatron if not exactly like him.

Strafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 02:25 AM   #31
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by another tf fan
What the hell kinda camoflage is that?
The kind that says: "I have a rail gun and I don't need camouflage."

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Born stupid much?
In an nutshell.

I'd really love to bundle anyone who thinks it isn't a big deal into a police station with a 1984 Megatron in gun mode sellotaped to their hand... I think the results would be educational for the surviving fanboys and downright hilarious for the rest of us.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 02:42 AM   #32
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Talking

Mwahahahahahahaha!

How dare congress pass a law when it might interfere with reissuing a piece of **** toy? More people would die from angry children given the original Megs figure as a present instead of something good...

Old 2004-03-30, 02:48 AM   #33
Civ
News-"breaker"-in-Training

Pennsylvania

I see Denyer and Cliffjumper are having fun bashing on people while inflating their own egos. If that's how they get their jollies, then that's them.

Personally, since the gun laws are in place, then the tank would be a very good choice. I would have liked to have seen a new gun mode, but since there's no possibility of a toy being based on that, then the tank will do.

Civ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 02:51 AM   #34
Alpha Trion
One with the Matrix

Cleveland, OH

It's not so much bashing as it is common sense...

Alpha Trion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 02:53 AM   #35
Civ

Pennsylvania

It is still bashing when they are insulting someone's intelligence regardless if it is common sense or not.

Old 2004-03-30, 02:56 AM   #36
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

I'm free to air my own opinions, and comment on those of others. Now, careful dismounting that high horse...

Old 2004-03-30, 03:01 AM   #37
Spiderman

Boiling Springs, SC
Default Megatron as tank

Megatron as a tank is a good second choice. If they did make him a gun just like the original though, that doesn't mean they have to release the toy. In fact, I've heard that Hasbro is not going to release any toys based on the movie. That's what the G1 reissues are for.

Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 03:03 AM   #38
Civ

Pennsylvania

I'm on a high horse because I respect people's opinions regardless of what they say and I don't care to see them belittled? Damn, I'm a complete rat bastard then. If someone wants to see Megs as a gun, then that's their opinion and that's fine. If I disagree with someone, I usually keep it to myself or I discuss it without resorting to such comments as:

Quote:
Born stupid much?
If you want to debate that person's opinion, then fine, but there's no reason why you need to debate it while resorting to snide comments like that.

Old 2004-03-30, 03:04 AM   #39
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

And where have you heard this, pray tell?

EDIT: He was asking a ****ing question answered two posts above. Stupid or ignorant, makes no difference to me, your ass gets to warm my foot.

Old 2004-03-30, 03:07 AM   #40
Civ

Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
EDIT: He was asking a ****ing question answered two posts above. Stupid or ignorant, makes no difference to me, your ass gets to warm my foot.
Yes, he was asking a question answered two posts above, but instead of that comment, you could simply have quoted what was already said instead of breaking out the bashing stick.