• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2004-03-30, 03:07 AM   #41
Spiderman

Boiling Springs, SC
Default Right Here

It's a topic I started on Don Murphy's page click the link below. It's the sixth statement down.
http://www.donmurphy.net/board/showt...=&threadid=296

Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 03:09 AM   #42
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

And he has no source. "I forget where I read it". Yeh, because something solid like that wouldn't be all over the 'net by now...

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 03:41 AM   #43
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Civ
bashing on people while inflating their own egos. If that's how they get their jollies, then that's them.
n. pl. e·gos
3. b. Appropriate pride in oneself; self-esteem.

It's not even that... it's a lack of patience with those who can't be bothered to do a few minutes' research, or pay attention to news over the last few years, or even read clear explanations already provided for them...

You should know more about your country's laws than I do.

Quote:
Originally posted by Civ
I'm on a high horse because I respect people's opinions regardless of what they say
I don’t accept the currently fashionable assertion that any view is automatically as worthy of respect as any equal and opposite view. My view is that the moon is made of rock. If someone says to me “Well, you haven’t been there, have you? You haven’t seen it for yourself, so my view that it is made of Norwegian Beaver Cheese is equally valid” - then I can’t even be bothered to argue. There is such a thing as the burden of proof

http://www.virtualdebris.co.uk/miscellany/adams.php

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 04:04 AM   #44
Arcee

Germany. Status: not blonde
Default Going on a tangent...

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpha Trion
In the article Denyer linked to, it states that 3 kids in California have been shot in the last 12 years because they had realistic toy guns. It happens.
How come German cops (or, AFAIK, British cops) don't shoot little kids who are holding what could be a real gun? Maybe the problem is with the American police, not with the toys?

(And who wants to bet that those three Californian kids were African-American or Hispanic?)

Arcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 04:04 AM   #45
Jarvas

Whoa with the fanboy bullsh*t. STFU for a second, I don't know what you're getting so religious on me for, calm down a second.

I like the G2 Megatron tank form, I don't have a problem with it, I like it better than that piece of sh*t tank Armada Megatron and Galvatron were made of. However, if they were going to make a movie based on G1, I figured G1 Megatron would fit in better. Now, granted, the tank is a more formidable opponent for a semi than a Walther P-38 is, but that doesn't necessarily mean the P-38 sucks either. The toy sucked, in robot mode anyway.

If they do make him a tank, then I hope it's based on the G2 Tank form. They should change it a bit though, so that if hasbro does decide to release toys for it, they can remake it. The G2 one could hardly move.

Old 2004-03-30, 04:09 AM   #46
Spiderman

Boiling Springs, SC
Default Well

How come I can go to the dollar store and buy realisitc looking smith n' western cap guns?

Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 04:14 AM   #47
Alpha Trion
One with the Matrix

Cleveland, OH
Exclamation Re: Well

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman
How come I can go to the dollar store and buy realisitc looking smith n' western cap guns?
Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
Dime-store-toy companies can afford to manufacture pretty much whatever. Hasbro sells itself on a family image.
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Born stupid much?

Alpha Trion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 04:21 AM   #48
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

the p-38 was an alright gun but I hardly think it was the best choice for teletran 1 to reformat Megatron into...but of course it was all up to Takara in the first place. They had no idea that the toy the designed in the late seventies was going to become such a popular character in the eighties USA. Looking back at the cartoon and seeing Soundwave, Megatron and Blaster transforming from 10 foot tall robots into items so much smaller it seems so silly. Thats the best reason I can give for making Megatron into a tank. We as fans shouldn't have to create a fictional subspace to explain an animation nightmare.

Come on and wind me up.
another tf fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 04:24 AM   #49
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally posted by Civ
I'm on a high horse because I respect people's opinions regardless of what they say and I don't care to see them belittled? Damn, I'm a complete rat bastard then. If someone wants to see Megs as a gun, then that's their opinion and that's fine. If I disagree with someone, I usually keep it to myself or I discuss it without resorting to such comments
Okay, to be fair, I can understand where Denyer and Cliffy are coming from. I personally am getting really sick of people constantly saying things like 'They should put out Alternator Seekers!' despite the 40+ threads where people have pointed out that it's not going to happen. It's really hard to stay polite sometimes when you're confronted with the same sort of thing day in and day out, especially something that should really only need to be said once or twice.

Quote:
Originally posted by another tf fan
...but of course it was all up to Takara in the first place.
Actually, originally it was Hasbro's call.

Last edited by Dead Man Wade; 2004-03-30 at 04:27 AM.
Dead Man Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 04:30 AM   #50
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Arcee
Maybe the problem is with the American police, not with the toys?
In the UK (and in Germany, as far as I know) ordinary citizens aren't permitted licenses to carry firearms in public places. And, by the by, incidences of public shootings are much lower than in America, which has a far greater quantity of guns in circulation.

Not that anyone but communists and terrorists would see a connection, oh no...

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman
1) You may live in a state which has particularly few restrictions. Ohio, for instance, has fewer regulations at the state level than the federal level.

2) The store may simply be operating outside the law. Big name chains buy in bulk and have more procedures in place to check stock meets local restrictions. Thrift stores often buy stock sight unseen and expect to clear it quickly, and few states actively police sale of toy guns except in the aftermath of a shooting involving one. No-one is likely to notice a small seller.

3) The producers of toy are a nameless, faceless company which has no reputation to protect and likely no agent in the US to face the publicity which would arise if, say, a child was shot carrying a piece of black plastic the inquest later found to have Super Realistic Water Pistol © Hasbro 2002 stamped on the underside of. Hasbro is a highly visible and culpable public manufacturer.

Old 2004-03-30, 04:35 AM   #51
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

lemmie clear up what i meant, Fort Max. I meant that the p-38 was takara's choice back in the seventies....at least thats what i heard...it was no surprise that Hasbro dictated Megatron to be reformatted into galvatron...Megatron's toy was so acurate that in japan it shot small plastic pellets and Hasbro knew that was a no no in the states. Not Just the likeness to a real gun but i think Hasbro Knew that meg's fragile toy was getting little respect and kids on the playground couldn't help but notice Megatron's, uh Package, if you know what i mean.

Come on and wind me up.
Old 2004-03-30, 04:37 AM   #52
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

And what I meant was that it was Hasbro's decision to make Megatron a P-38 in the first place. Hasbro bought the molds, and decided what mold was going to be made into what character.

Old 2004-03-30, 04:43 AM   #53
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Denyer
[B]In the UK (and in Germany, as far as I know) ordinary citizens aren't permitted licenses to carry firearms in public places. And, by the by, incidences of public shootings are much lower than in America, which has a far greater quantity of guns in circulation.

After watching Bowling for Columbine i learned that Canada has the same number of guns per capita as the USA and yet has fewer gun murders than the USA. Thats hard for me to wrap my noodle around, as a U.S. citizen and gun owner, but the facts don't lie. I'm inclined to think it's our murderous attitude and not guns or cartoons with gunfire (such as the transformers) or toy guns or Hip Hop music or anything else. Here in the US we are a scociety of people who don't just get mad, but also get even. Hope I don't scare anyone as I have never shot anyone....but i would....j/k

Come on and wind me up.
Old 2004-03-30, 04:46 AM   #54
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

I didn't know that Fort Max, I always thought Hasbro just took what Takara gave them and gave it a backstory USA kids would like....Can you tell me more about the Takara-Hasbro connection for the first Transformers?

Come on and wind me up.
Old 2004-03-30, 04:56 AM   #55
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Basically, most (if not all) of the original molds were by Takara. Hasbro bought said molds to be used in an upcoming toyline. Once they had the molds, they started creating characters around them, leading to the cartoon. Takara's only role, really, in the creation of Megatron was the production of the mold. The name, characterization, and tech specs were all Hasbro.

Old 2004-03-30, 04:59 AM   #56
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by another tf fan
Thats hard for me to wrap my noodle around, as a U.S. citizen and gun owner, but the facts don't lie.
Both countries have more gun crime than most of Europe... although it's worth bearing in mind that many US statistics are guesses, since successive governments have reduced the level of records required to be kept. In other words, most of the facts have been deliberately destroyed.

I fully support lethal force in defending property, whatever form it may take. Projectile weapons taken out in populated areas? Rather more dicey.

FYI, Hasbro took its pick from a variety of Takara toylines, and those of related producers. Megatron comes from the Microman range, IIRC.

http://www.pretf.com/

Old 2004-03-30, 05:17 AM   #57
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

I stand by my original statement that we here in the USA are just more murderous. if you took our guns away we would just run more people down with our SUVs. I'm not going to say Europeans are less Violent (I've seen those soccer riots) but just less murderous about thier violence.

Come on and wind me up.
Old 2004-03-30, 05:19 AM   #58
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
FYI, Hasbro took its pick from a variety of Takara toylines, and those of related producers. Megatron comes from the Microman range, IIRC.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at. I just wasn't doing a very good job.

Old 2004-03-30, 07:49 AM   #59
Cyberman
I have no title...

Well, whatever form they give Megatron, I hope he gets the original coloring, and a close looking design(to his cartoon robot mode).
I didn´t like the design of Tank Megatron, let alone the colors...

In a perfect world, this would be a signature. As it stands, it's just the lack of.
Cyberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 09:04 AM   #60
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany
Talking

Didn't we already have this discussion a few months ago?

Anyway... Gun Megatron:
- Toy looks like cr@p
- The idea of the mighty leader of the conquering Decepticon forces turning into a tiny gun that has to be fired by one of his henchmen is just plain ridiculous
- Transformed about six times throughout the entire cartoon show

Tank Megatron:
- G2 toy looks cool (aside from the paint job)
- Mighty Decepticon turning into a huge tank = teh r0XX0r

And again, I'm wondering why certain G1 fanboys *takes a look at Don Murphy's Board* seem to be stuck in the year 1984 for all eternity...

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote