• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2004-05-29, 11:07 PM   #41
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

A few definitely made it across both ways. There's a letter in US #61 where Tetra Reris attempts to spoil the last 20 issues by giving synopsises of five-year old UK material after getting a bit confused about the new writer. It's a staggering pompous letter on the whole, saying she'll let Marvel use her copyrighted characters if they're good, which gets a response along the diplomatic line of "piss off, ours are better". Must scan it some time...

But that's backed up with conversation with several retailers. Menzies might have had some job-lot backstock deal [maybe similar to the one The Works seem to have?], and they might not have bothered much with G2, what with Marvel UK having no competing title. In the 1980s, though, full stories in full colour in one comic, possibly avaliable months in advance? Threat. I'm still convinced Panini had something to do with the brainfart that briefly clobbered European Dreamwave imports.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-29, 11:26 PM   #42
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
He's referring to Auros' "twit" and I'm not sure if it means something different in America...
'Round these parts, it means a dumbass like certain semi-literate news-trolls around here. Name-calling may be called immature, but when it's coming from someone who can't handle typing his own damn language...

Sir Auros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 08:23 AM   #43
Windrazor

Between your girlfriends' legs

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper

Also, where specifically did I namecall? Don't get me wrong, Windy, you're a waste of oxygen which could be used by decent people. I'm just wondering what you're referring to.
As Denyer explained, it wasn't being referred to you. But it is funny how you worded that since you typed quite a bit. Part of what you said I agree with, and with SixSwitch's insight on hard and soft molds, comes a better understanding. The other part about if they would make profit, how much would they actually profit from, price ranges, etc, is vague only because we don't have actual cost prices in front of us to measure it up to reality. Knowing that, I don't have an accurate answer. If we were able to actually go in there, see the molds they use, IF they can be used for both treatments, the actual cost to run the machines, print the decals, etc, etc, then we could actually get a feel for if there would be profit or not. Since like most factories, it is usually a production line, programs that were already in the computers, training manuals that could finish both products, I'm sure theres not much difference except from plastic to diecast pieces. Maybe we should go to Hasbro and take a tour of their plant in Pawtucket...

BTW Auros, please use your keyboard for other reasons then the sorts of responses you lash out at me. Thank You.

Windrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 08:51 AM   #44
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Windrazor
BTW Auros, please use your keyboard for other reasons then the sorts of responses you lash out at me. Thank You.
Stop trolling our board.

Old 2004-05-30, 02:38 PM   #45
dedicon
Gestalt

israel

!
you guys always do that(and by you guys i am refering to 40-50% of this board)
you want to talk trash and insult each other,pm it to one another.
others dont need to hear this crap.
as for the laser rods,i want a white ultra magnus repaint of scourge/optimus prime dammit

dedicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 04:58 PM   #46
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

And posting off-topic meta-discussion is such a great solution, too. *cough*

Quote:
with SixSwitch's insight on hard and soft molds [...] IF they can be used for both treatments
If it wasn't blindingly obvious to begin with, here's a bit of the science...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cac...n+moulds&hl=en

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 07:57 PM   #47
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA
Cool

Quote:
Well, really, most of this thread could be punted off to toys since it went off-topic ages ago...

Old 2004-05-30, 08:35 PM   #48
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

I was thinking about that, but actually it does directly discuss the Hasbro statement quoted in the first post. On second thought, it's fairly on-topic. The only problem I see is someone's tendency to respond to all counter-arguments like "NA NA NA Fingers in my ears don't hear you I want I want I want!"...

Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 08:43 PM   #49
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Your call. I'd say punt/rename once the date rolls on a bit.

Old 2004-05-31, 03:24 AM   #50
Spiderman

Boiling Springs, SC

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alpha Trion
[B]The packaging would have to change to make it clear which version was plastic and which was metal.

Walmart and TRU already have plastic Alternators all over their shelves. Do you really think they want to put near-identical toys next to them on the shelf? It's just that it's so impractical that it will never happen.

Wait a minute now. Walmart TRU and all the other toy stores have racks of SW toys including all thew variants that flood the market. That sounds like the same thing to me.

Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-31, 03:34 AM   #51
Spiderman

Boiling Springs, SC
Lightbulb cost effective?

It does not cost that much to make any of the transformers. All of Hasbro's products are made in China, and BTW their employees get payed less than a penny a week. They have them made incomplete or they say they have to alter the toy in some way to doge importing fees. Than they put an inflated price tag on it a watch the bucks roll in.

Old 2004-05-31, 03:41 AM   #52
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman
their employees get payed less than a penny a week.
You're talking crap.

Wages are not directly comparable with Western economies, but nor are they non-existent. I suppose Hasbro get free transport of goods on magic carpets and their raw materials just fall out of the sky, too?

Old 2004-05-31, 03:52 AM   #53
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out...

Old 2004-05-31, 03:52 AM   #54
Spiderman

Boiling Springs, SC
Default Actually no

Quote:
You're talking crap.

Wages are not directly comparable with Western economies, but nor are they non-existent. I suppose Hasbro get free transport of goods on magic carpets and their raw materials just fall out of the sky, too?
Ever heard of fee-trade off-shoring. How 'bout NAFTA? Ya see they can get dirt cheap labor with this wonderful free trade. :rolleyes:

Old 2004-05-31, 05:40 AM   #55
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Auros

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out...
Sigh... :rolleyes:

Anyway, the actual cost of manufacturing a toy is probably very cheap. I actually don't doubt that at all. Though to think that is the only cost in producing a toy is both naive and ignorant...

Whether or not Hasbro makes a profit from the selling of toys is not at issue, whether or not they'd make enough of a profit to produce die cast Alternators for the western market is.

As none of us have access to any actual figures that Hasbro would have to take into account when considering the matter I don't see how anyone can pretend to be an authority on the subject.

If you are going to speculate please do it with humility and intelligence...

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-31, 08:30 AM   #56
Windrazor

Quote:
It's not exactly off topic considering Nevermores' first post included "Metal not plastic" (minus the haxxor text)

Quote:
If it wasn't blindingly obvious to begin with, here's a bit of the science...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cac...n+moulds&hl=en
I'm aware of the science. I worked at a rotational molding plant. We worked with polymer pellets as well as resin which is basically grinded up pellets into powder. Machines that we worked with were by a company called Ferry. We had machines that you would just toss in either pellets or resin and set the temperature and time depending on the atmosphere (A hotter day would require more water in the cooling chamber and less heat and time during the burn cycle). We had molds such as roofs for John Deere tractors that would have a time release sequence so that some resin would melt and form right to the mold, and then after about 10 mins (during a 20 min process) the extra resin would be dispensed to form to the liquid plastic in the mold already formed to the inside of the mold. I took a look at that website and read it over talking about injection molding. I can't say I've worked with that. Closest to it, is when we would hook up vortex lines usually at about 20 PSI to certain molds such as hog feeders so that the plastic would form to all the edges a little better. I didn't exactly see anything about actual differences in molds such as the original observation was being directed at with Sixswitch's reference to soft and hard molds. The molds used in rotational molding were made out of steel. So my guess would be that diecast molding would require possibly a form of titanium steel. I saw that the link was referring to molds as being sand casted, but I didn't see what type of metal was used for the molds, or to what degree it was burned to make the mold. If you could find a link to the actual mold differences, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 2004-05-31, 03:23 PM   #57
Strafe
Certifiably not cool.

Chicago, Illinois

Quote:
If you could find a link to the actual mold differences, it would be greatly appreciated.
www.google.com

Strafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-01, 12:21 AM   #58
Windrazor

Quote:
Originally posted by Strafe
www.google.com
I wasn't asking for a search browser, but an actual website link.

Old 2004-06-01, 12:25 AM   #59
Strafe
Certifiably not cool.

Chicago, Illinois

Quote:
I wasn't asking for a search browser, but an actual website link.
Yeah, and I was subtly motioning for you to do your own research rather than have others do it for you.

Strafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-01, 12:35 AM   #60
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman
Wait a minute now. Walmart TRU and all the other toy stores have racks of SW toys including all thew variants that flood the market. That sounds like the same thing to me.
Star Wars figures are generally much cheaper, and even with the poor response to the prequels, SW is about 15 times more popular than Transformers will ever be.

And once again, one of the news troll gang has failed to turn on their brain. The argument isn't that variants per se are are costly/unlikely/whatever; it's specific to the Alternators line, with a number of factors for which there aren't easy comparisons - it's a collector-based line of a middle-hitting franchise, and the diecast factor has a big competitor in Binaltech.

What the Hell am I doing? This kid's just a troll. Never mind...

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote