• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2004-06-21, 03:44 AM   #1
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location
Default "Extreme" Ghostbusters

I'm in the process of downloading Season 1 of Real Ghostbusters from Suprnova, and it got me thinking about the so-called "Extreme" Ghostbusters.

For those that are not aware, EGB was a cartoon featuring only one of the original Ghostbusters (Egon). The new members consisted of (IIRC): the goth chick, the stereotypical latino, the guy in the wheelchair, and the token black guy.

Now, don't get me wrong, the show was all kinds of uplifting, and it really made me want to scream 'Huzzah for multiculturalism!' from the rooftops. But the show was neither extreme, nor...you know...good.

I really don't know why I felt the need to type all of that...

Dead Man Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 04:00 AM   #2
Blaster
This used to mean something.

Vancouver.
Exclamation

A two parter had all of the originals in it.

Wake up son of mine. Momma got something to tell you. Change has come; life will have its way.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 04:25 AM   #3
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

The guy in the wheelchair - was he a ****ing liability or what? I mean, talk about blatant tokenism. They're all being chased by, I dunno, Spaceghost Coast-to-Coast [yes, I'm a big GB fan... ]. Wheelchair boy hits a bump and tips over. Someone goes back to save him. Humanity dies.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-21, 04:35 AM   #4
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally posted by Blaster
A two parter had all of the originals in it.
Oh, that doesn't count.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
The guy in the wheelchair - was he a ****ing liability or what? I mean, talk about blatant tokenism. They're all being chased by, I dunno, Spaceghost Coast-to-Coast [yes, I'm a big GB fan... ]. Wheelchair boy hits a bump and tips over. Someone goes back to save him. Humanity dies.
Tell me about it. And god forbid they should have to fight a ghost in a building that's not accessible.

'****, guys. There's no ramp. Whelp, guess I'll just go grab a latte while you do your thing.'

On second thought, maybe the wheelchair thing was just a ploy, and he was the smartest of the bunch....

Old 2004-06-21, 04:37 AM   #5
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Talking

If only Peter had been that smart...

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 12:42 PM   #6
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

The only episode I saw seemed to treat the wheelchair like it was in no way a hindrance, the guy had no problem geting down a man hole into a sewer for christs sake.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 05:45 PM   #7
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Just once, I would love to have seen the wheelchair get possessed or something. Now that would have been some good television.

Old 2004-06-26, 09:34 PM   #8
DrSpengler
Primus

This exact conversation actually came up over at fridaythe13thfilms.com

http://www.fridaythe13thforum.com/sh...ad.php?t=30205

I'm Innsmouth, BTW.

Normally I'll talk all day and night about Ghostbusters but since I just had this exact conversation a few days ago I really don't feel like repeating myself.

But the 2-parter Blaster was referring to was the series finale called "Back in the Saddle" where Peter, Ray and Winston (voiced by their original actors) come back to save New York from a rampaging Bermuda Triangle. Despite the original team being portrayed as VERY old men, it was actually quite good and the best way to end the series.

While I didn't like the characters in the new show, I DID like a lot of the ghosts. Like the Bone God who sucked the bones out of people non-surgically and left them living piles of skin and organs. Pretty cool.

While the Extreme Ghostbsuters was bad it was still better than:

1: Slimer! and the Real Ghostbusters
2: Real Ghosbusters seasons 5-6

So I can't get too mad at it. I was thankful that it continued the storyline of the Real Ghostbusters and, despite some differences in appearance, kept perfect continuity.

To be honest, the idea could've worked. Really, it could've. But they made some VERY bad choices when it came to characters. And Garret just went over the line...

DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote