• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Toys & Merch

Old 2004-07-03, 11:00 AM   #21
Almighty Galvatron

Gone drinking

Quote:
So... Porsche promotes lung cancer?
You've obviously never been to mainland Europe before have you? Everybody smokes, even the housepets, in fact, goldfish are the heaviest smokers in Germany. It's just a case of someone using good business sense to exploit the established categorical imperatives of their primary market; rich Europeans.

Almighty Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-03, 04:20 PM   #22
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

I don't smoke, my parents don't smoke, and my friends don't smoke either.

As a matter of fact, our laws concerning smoking and promoting smoking are still not half as strict as they are in the USA. Although we're definitely heading in that direction.

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-03, 05:16 PM   #23
onearmedrich

West Kirby, also known as the finelands

The porsche executive jeep is terrible, quiet a few of my parents friends have them, and i just retch when i see one. What the hell were they thinking? Apart from cashing in on the trend for big luxury jeeps.

Interesting, no sorry wait a minute no, very boring!

Nixons baaaaack!

The script original called for me to say yes, but I gave it a subtle twist.
Coilette:A Calculon story.
Gay Bowel Disease, do you really want that Clay? Ever?

Last edited by onearmedrich; 2004-07-03 at 05:19 PM.
onearmedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-03, 07:21 PM   #24
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

There's no such thing as a "Porsche Jeep".

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 12:14 PM   #25
Addl
Matrix Keeper

Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by onearmedrich
What the hell were they thinking?
Quote:
Originally posted by onearmedrich
cashing in on the trend
Exactly what you said... it is a company and a company's existence reason is to earn money, that is why there are companies. Nothing wrong with that.

Just a fool would miss the chance to earn money if the market opens a new field of income... and the Porsche SUV still is a luxory and quality car, so we did it.

My personal opinion is similar to yours, as I do not like it, but I do not like big cars in general... they look ugly.

And yes, there is no "Porsche Jeep" as Jeep is a brand like Porsche and not designation for a car type... it is a Porsche SUV or a Porsche Offroader.

Aside from that, we did development service for numerous other companies during my time like General Motors (Opel) or Harley Davidson. Whenever you can earn money with your company's competence, you do it no matter if it is not your original "thing"

Isch bin dabbei!
Addl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 01:21 PM   #26
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

Jesus Christ, could that jab at Porsche over the cigarette lighter be any lamer? Cliffy, get in there and give that kid secondhand cancer!

please?

Using Denyer's bit about Meister as a springboard...it really suits him and does kind of look like the original design. I didn't think so from the pictures, but then I saw an RX8 on the road and thought, "Damn! That's sooooo Jazz."

Sir Auros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-26, 09:00 PM   #27
ScotG
Protoform

USA

Just some intersting tidbits:

Jeep, the brand name, was taken from the military designation from the original Willy's Jeep vehicle - the GP (short for General Purpose vehicle). Similarly, the Hummer came from the HUMVEE, which is an achronym for something...

So in essence, you cannot condemn someone for generalizing an SUV as a jeep - general purpose, since that is not just a brand name. People say "I need a coke" all the time, but they will reach for the Pepsi or what have you. They don't really want a Coca-Cola, (which was named after cocaine, as Pepsi was named after pepsid, a type of antacid).

The Porsche/Jazz problem could have been easy to solve for Hasbro. Case and Point:
Porsche allows it's license for some video games, but not for the popular Gran Turismo series. I'm uncertain as to "why", but the point is they did. What I'm getting at is that GT (Polyphony/Sony) just used RUF, completely sidestepping Porsche, and getting an almost identical and superior quality car. But since they are going through the same problems with VW, I don't know of a work-around solution for Bumblebee.

I've got better things to do tonight than die!
ScotG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-26, 09:22 PM   #28
ScotG
Protoform

USA

I also read somewhere that Porsche observed their customers' buying patterns. They came to realize that a vast majority of their customers also owned SUVs. Now what company wouldn't jump on that bandwaggon under those circumstances? Tongue-in-cheek intended.

just another tidbit.

Old 2004-07-27, 03:53 AM   #29
Gesani

Practice Safe Lunch..... Use A Condiment

Quote:
Originally posted by ScotG
Similarly, the Hummer came from the HUMVEE, which is an achronym for something...
High Utility Mobile Vehicle

Quote:
Originally posted by ScotG
Porsche allows it's license for some video games, but not for the popular Gran Turismo series. I'm uncertain as to "why", but the point is they did.
I belive that EA Holds the Exclusive Right to Porsche's Vehicles

Last edited by Gesani; 2004-07-28 at 04:42 AM.
Gesani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-27, 11:25 AM   #30
Almighty Galvatron

Gone drinking

What the hell is a "Prosche"?

The Cayenne is a good idea inasmuch as a line extension to the Porsche brand can be, it is doubtless one of the best high performance "SUV"s on the market, although the laws of branding doom it to failure and don't say much for the rest of the Porsche stable.

Addl rocks, go porsche and beer (although not at the same time of course)

[/] drunken pro-Porsche post[end]

Almighty Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-27, 07:21 PM   #31
Thundercracker92
Seeker

USA Air Space

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
I'm not 100% on Porsche's, but Ferrari, for example, is all about wealth, exclusivity, class and taste.
If they Runamuck, and Runabout into a Ferrari 456, and 360, don't you think that would be funny?

You check in, but you don't check out!
Thundercracker92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-27, 08:37 PM   #32
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Squashua
So... Porsche promotes lung cancer?

And they won't license for a toy of their car that transforms into a robot and holds a lazer gun, because that promotes war?

Yeah, they're real humanitarians, Porsche.
Here, have an officially licensed Optimus Prime lighter...

http://www.toysnjoys.com/transformersmisc.html

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 10:34 AM   #33
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Thread necromancy, except by someone somewhere else that seems to be a bit of a tosser.

http://www.collecticon.org/2013/06/t...ps-on-mything/

Quote:
Apparently this post on TFarchive by former Porsche employee Addl is supposed to be some kind of proof of Porche’s wishes to dis-allow war toys, or Transformers especially, to carry the official Porsche license. To think that this person was quickly transferred to the head-of-all-there-is-to-licensing for Porsche to get this answer is a little hard to swallow, at least for me.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 11:56 AM   #34
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

That person is clearly a sausage.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 12:16 PM   #35
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

What a prick.

IIRC, Hasbro never negotiated any deal with Audi; Sideways came from a deal between Paramount and Audi similar to Dino (and is possibly, though this is a reach, the reason he does nothing more aggressive than run away) and Hasbro fudged things just enough to get an unlicensed toy out of it.

But yeh, the key message is the one in the first response - that in eight, nine years something's changed at the higher echelons at the VW group (who knows, Sideways could even have been a tester done through enough channels that a media shitstorm could be blamed on left hand not knowing what the right hand's doing) and now they're changing their position. It's not unheard of - Hell, Hasbro's direction has changed several times over the past few years (e.g. weaponry).

EDIT: Alrmight Galvatron really was a snobby brown-nosing sack of shit, wasn't he?

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 08:01 PM   #36
Skyquake87
One with the Matrix

Reading his blog rant, my favourite bit is this " All I really see here is internet hearsay that is almost a decade old." This from a person sampling a quote from a post that is, er, nearly a decade old. Not something you'd understand from reading that lengthy rant, unless you bothered to click the link and check out the dates...

Sigh.

Anyway, like you say, times change, people move on and positions change.

Maybe someone has just realized that licensing for toys isn't such a bad idea to bring a bit of revenue. And its not uncommon for companies not to want to be actively promoting 'War Toys', as Lego will attest. Its all about 'protecting the brand' and for some firms, whoring themselves out to all and sundry is not what they're all about.

Skyquake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 08:43 PM   #37
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

There's probably a bit more wriggle-room involved too - didn't Honda ask for Windcharger's gun to be neutered (or did I make that up)? It's a possible grey position - if Bee and Jazz come without any obvious weaponry (which'd be quite accurate for G1 Bee, whereas Jazz's light-and-sound stuff gives an out there too) things may - or may not - be different. That they're heroic characters would also further grease the wheels.

I would say for someone like VW the money's neither here not there, ditto the exposure - the VW Beetle was one of the most recognisable and famous cars in the world for four decades before the fat yellow Minibot.

What could be a factor is if someone's twigged oversensitivity outweighs common sense. Hell, anything could be involved - some people who grew up watching the cartoon are mid-thirties early-forties now, there could be someone sympathetic further up the company.

(of course, the other thing is - unless I've missed it - we still haven't seen what MP Bumblebee and Jazz look like; personally I think if they didn't have some sort of licencing deal done they'd be further down the order while all possibilities had been exhausted, but it's TakaraTomy, they think Grimlock was blue in the comic...)

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 04:13 PM   #38
ScotG
Protoform

USA

Wow. Wayback machine much?

I'm not taking sides here, and I see valid arguments on both sides, even if that guy from collection dot org does come across like a feminine hygiene applique. Yes, once you get past the abundant odor of vinegar permeating his tone, there are some decent considerations imparted.

If nothing else, this thread was thought provoking. I was somewhat ignorant about some things nine years ago. Admittedly, I was quick to berate any German manufacturer that had any involvement in Hitler's plan, and maintained my own ideal that regardless of their reformed, post-WWII intentions they are lucky their facilities and all in them weren't permanently seized by the Allies. My tone has since calmed, and I say kudos to anyone looking to genuinely turn over a new leaf for the greater good and in the interest of ALL mankind.

Like many have stated before me, times have progressed and positions on the matter have shifted back-and-forth. It does seem that in the interest of business we could eventually see Transformers and other similar toys paired with VW's more sensitive brands. The whole topic of whether or not the licensing problems allegedly stem from VW/Porsche's attempt to disassociate themselves from war seems moot at this point.

Old 2013-07-07, 07:41 PM   #39
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Smile

For Bumblebee it might actually be in Takara's interest to go for a non-Beatle mode that could more easily stand in for Cliffjumper as well.

Though as everyone has said, things change as the people making the decisions change.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 09:57 PM   #40
Ryan F
hunts pandas for lolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflatable dalek View Post
For Bumblebee it might actually be in Takara's interest to go for a non-Beatle mode that could more easily stand in for Cliffjumper as well.
Yes, I also think it would be unwise to make MP Bee have a Ringo Starr alt-mode!

Anyway, I posted this response in the comments section to that blog:

Quote:
The ‘no war toys' thing was never a myth, it was completely true. Time and time again Hasbro representatives were asked at conventions and Q&A sessions about the subject, and the response was always the same – VW and Porsche always refused to deal – why else do you think those prototypes pictured above never made it to the stores?

Furthermore, your argument about the Lamborghini makes little sense. So Lambo are part of the same group as VW and Porsche – what does that prove? All it means is that the group are willing to licence out their, ahem, untainted marques (Lamborghini as a name didn’t exist at the time of WW2), and proves nothing about the likelihood of similar deals for the VW or Porsche names.

And one of your statements beggars belief: “I’m willing to wager that The Volkswagen Group cares a lot more about the money they will make from any particular licensing deal than their precious public image being dragged through the mud” REALLY??!!

You’re seriously suggesting that a car manufacturer with profits in the BILLIONS would gladly perform a volte-face as soon as Takara waves a few grand in their direction? Highly unlikely.

Look, I’m as pleased as anyone that the VW licencing issues [appear to] have been resolved. I’ve already got a pre-order in for MP Bee.

But I think to use this news as a springboard to launch a heap of vitriol at people just comes across as needlessly vicious. The fact is that VW and Porsche were previously off-limits for Transformers, and now that situation MAY have changed.

May I suggest that, by posting your own crowing assumptions with barely concealed glee, you are coming across as no better than those naysayers who predicted an MP Bee would never happen.

Transform And Roll-Out
The Unofficial And Unauthorised Guide To The Transformers (1984-92)
Coming 2017 from Telos Publishing
Ryan F is offline   Reply With Quote