• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2004-09-04, 03:07 AM   #21
Gesani

Practice Safe Lunch..... Use A Condiment

Quote:
Originally posted by Pun-3X
As for Glenn, it sounds like most of the issues were preventable. A collector's plate should be designed from the beginning as if you were going to eat off it, even if 99% of the collectors wouldn't dream of such a thing. I mean, if the plates went through normally as Glen would have originally wanted before Hasbro came in, I can imagine paint-chipping/wear issues within a year. See how many fans complain about it then, and you have a lose-lose situation. So do it right from the beginning.
The Plate were made as collectors peices, not ment to be eaten off of.. there is even a warning on teh back of the plates that say do not use in microwave do use for food.. it was the only way to use bright brillient colors/colours.. it would be like eating of af an elvis commenative plate... its just not supossed to be done.. And the plate were degigned during teh winter of 2002...

Quote:

SM doesn't have it's boxes made yet? How the hell long did Glen and co. take before deciding "Hey, we should start on those boxes, you know..." He had a year. If the toy was delayed and that's the main cause, sure, nothing you can do about it.
The Boxes are printed by a third party.. it anyones guess why they didnt make it in time.. I will assume the delay in teh toy delayed the boxes.. 3H has the toys.. just no boxes have come in for them as expected..

Quote:
The Skywarp issue, I Don't know how that all happened. Groups can decide to charge more if it cost more than originally predicted to make the toys in the first place. But I don't know the exact situation there beyond what you've explained.
The COmpany makeing them didnt raise the price.. they raised the minimum amount of product.. of course that raised the cost for 3H.. onlt problem is that there wasnt but so many people signing up to recive it and now they had to buy twice as many peices..

Quote:
[BLast note: Glen said he lost $150,000 between now and 1997. Unless he blew that all in the last two years, it sounds like he's trying to suggest that they were losing money since '97. So why wrestle a company away from the Hartman brothers two years ago that has been a loss of revenue the last 5 years previous to that? It just sounds like Glen is playing the sympathy card here, and it isn't all very truthful. [/B]

The last i heard and maybe i understood wrong is that the hartmens bailed on Glen.. i searched the bords and i didnt find any info.. of course if they had been loseing money it would be a good reason to bail..

but who knows.. time to look into the future not dwell on teh past

Gesani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-04, 04:38 AM   #22
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

I agree with Roadstripe about Hallit setting his sights a little too high... there are fandoms bigger and less divisive than TFdom that would think twice before trying an autonomous comic line, and the fan club didn't seem that well thought out... a bit of an overreach when you consider the website was total crap.

A fully Hasbro-ran, or at least backed, event would have potential. I think we're underestimating people who've made a kids' toyline run for 20 years to think it'll just be a bunch of suits in a sanitised, child-friendly show-and-tell, and they certainly wouldn't dole things out to unreliable third parties on a whim.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-04, 05:16 AM   #23
Pun-3X
Clinically dead since 1996

Nevada

Quote:
Originally posted by Gesani
The Plate were made as collectors peices, not ment to be eaten off of.. there is even a warning on teh back of the plates that say do not use in microwave do use for food.. it was the only way to use bright brillient colors/colours.. it would be like eating of af an elvis commenative plate... its just not supossed to be done.. And the plate were degigned during teh winter of 2002...
You missed my point. I was trying to say you make the plates of high quality from the beginning so you avoid having to do them over.

I also addressed the actual 'eating off the plate' by mentioning that 99% would never even try it. (hey, there's always some dumbass that just doesn't get it) I simply used that point as an example because you said that Hasbro wanted them to be able to be eaten off of. They were probably trying to get the point across to make them of a higher (durable) quality.

Quote:
The Boxes are printed by a third party.. it anyones guess why they didnt make it in time.. I will assume the delay in teh toy delayed the boxes.. 3H has the toys.. just no boxes have come in for them as expected..
Then that sounds like a lack of coordination on Hallit's part. I wouldn't delay one part because another is delayed. If they're separate companies, then one delay cannot affect another delay unless by request.

If the toys aren't ready, get those boxes done so you don't have to worry about another thing later. Which is what they've had to do.

Quote:
The Company makeing them didnt raise the price.. they raised the minimum amount of product.. of course that raised the cost for 3H.. onlt problem is that there wasnt but so many people signing up to recive it and now they had to buy twice as many peices..
Hmm. That's an interesting development. If this is how things went, that's pretty shadey of the company to raise the piece count after the fact. (I assume it was after they signed them on to make these toys) This isn't new, and while it can sometimes mean that after producing a few of these toys that the company realized it would cost more than they originally predicted (which does commonly happen), it is also commonly a way for a businesses to make more money on a production.

Either way, that wouldn't be Glenn's fault that I can see.

Quote:
The last i heard and maybe i understood wrong is that the hartmens bailed on Glen.. i searched the bords and i didnt find any info.. of course if they had been loseing money it would be a good reason to bail...
This is the first I've heard of this at all. I talked with the Hartmans at OTFCC 2003 (they were touring the showroom on Sunday at one point) I got the impression from them that it wasn't their choice to leave. And everything talked about seems to coroborate that point. Since I haven't heard anything to the contrary (until now, mind) that's what I've understood as having happened, including certain details that may still be kept out.

Quote:
but who knows.. time to look into the future not dwell on teh past
Well, for me this was predictable. It was just a matter of when.

My bigger fear was that if this didn't work out, that Hasbro might go "Well, fans weren't happy, let's end it and go home." Now, I don't think that's how it will go, but I sure hope something is resolved so that we may have our 2005 convention.

Last edited by Pun-3X; 2004-09-04 at 05:19 AM.
Pun-3X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 01:04 AM   #24
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

Quote:
(hey, there's always some dumbass that just doesn't get it).
I think that might be a little harsh. I really know nothing about collector plates, and as far as I'm concerned, a plate is for puting your food on, so I'd probably use it like that. In which case, I'd get poisoned, and sue them, unless they clearly marked it as "not for eating on."

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 01:14 AM   #25
Roadstripe

The Sock Zone

Quoth PaladinPrime:
I think that might be a little harsh. I really know nothing about collector plates, and as far as I'm concerned, a plate is for puting your food on, so I'd probably use it like that. In which case, I'd get poisoned, and sue them, unless they clearly marked it as "not for eating on."

They do. It (putting warning labels on plates) is pretty much SOP for collector's plates.

Edit ~ added the bit in the parentheses for clarity

Last edited by Roadstripe; 2004-09-06 at 11:32 PM.
Roadstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 04:09 AM   #26
Pun-3X
Clinically dead since 1996

Nevada

Well, I didn't mean to offend. I just think it is rather silly to eat off a collector's plate.

Think I'm gonna stick to my guns on this one.

Pun-3X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 04:13 AM   #27
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

I know, but some people will just see it as a plate. It'd be like telling me I can't drink out of a tf mug (do they have those? I'd assume so) or wear a tf shirt.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 04:23 AM   #28
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

Yes, it is stupid to eat off a collector's plate, but who do you think is going to be held liable when that one dumbass eats off of the plate and poisons himself?

Sir Auros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 05:51 PM   #29
Gesani

found this on Transformers.com.. it is a few days old..

http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/e...dn/default.cfm

looks like they have been hearing about problems from some of the fans?

maybe they will announce later what will happen.. if not... something will be thought of

Old 2004-09-05, 06:53 PM   #30
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by Gesani
found this on Transformers.com.. it is a few days old..

http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/e...dn/default.cfm
Didn't I alreay report this on wednesday?

Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 07:29 PM   #31
Gesani

like i said it was old.. but i didnt see the link to the hasbro page..