• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2004-09-05, 09:43 AM   #41
Alpha Trion
One with the Matrix

Cleveland, OH

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevermore
Bodycount claims Hasbro won't do "Wheeljack" because they want to reserve that name for Decepticons.
Perhaps there are plans to bring Armada Wheeljack back in Cybertron...

Alpha Trion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 02:16 PM   #42
Ymir

stavanger, rogaland, norway

Quote:
Bodycount claims Hasbro won't do "Wheeljack" because they want to reserve that name for Decepticons.
That's horrible!!! Wheeljack's such an awesome character design...! But hey, we already have "Meister" instead of Autobot Jazz, so why not just rename him? Fans would see who it's supposed to be anyway...

if they make a good homage to the G1 character they could call him "Fluffy Mufly" for all I care...

Ymir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 04:05 PM   #43
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

What was the name of the Marlboro pre-TF Wheeljack?

Dead Man Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 04:58 PM   #44
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by fort_max
What was the name of the Marlboro pre-TF Wheeljack?
No.18 Lancia Stratos Turbo.

Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-05, 10:28 PM   #45
davetherave
Banned

I hope megatron dooesn't get his hands on overdrives body, cause it would be a real shame if that was the best they could do for him. Now I think about it grimlock was a vehicle in war within. Does anyone know the full story behind the dinobots. Did they exist before the tfs landed on earth as in war within or were they born on earth like in the cartoon?

I think Takara/Hasbro will leave their options open regarding Masterpiece convoy being part of the BT line. Sooner or later they are gonna have to have leaders for each side, when a BT megatron does emerge I can bet that will be the form he will probaly take in the movie. As they are planning bigger BT releases I'm almost certain they will save Megs for a larger mold rather than a car.

davetherave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 11:17 PM   #46
Roadstripe

The Sock Zone

Quoth davetherave:
I hope megatron dooesn't get his hands on overdrives body, cause it would be a real shame if that was the best they could do for him. Now I think about it grimlock was a vehicle in war within. Does anyone know the full story behind the dinobots. Did they exist before the tfs landed on earth as in war within or were they born on earth like in the cartoon?

The present continuity appears to combine the better aspects of both the old Marvel continuity and the cartoon continuity.

Here's how I see it:

All the Generation 1 Dinobots existed on Cybertron before the Ark's crash.1 Grimlock was a pit gladiator before he joined the Autobots,2 and Swoop was named Divebomb until, early in the war, a Decepticon fought and defeated him, taking his name as spoils of war.3 Apparently, the future Dinobots first assembled, along with other Autobots, as part of the Lightning Strike Coalition.4 Afterwards, they continued as the Dyno-bots5 until they joined the crew of the Ark and were entombed on Earth for four million years.
Though they survived the crash and the ensuing stasis lock, the Dyno-bots were not among those initially reactivated in 1984. When dinosaur skeletons were uncovered near their headquarters, Wheeljack was inspired to rebuild the Dyno-bots into the five Dinobots.6, 7

1 based upon Snarl's G1 tech spec which states he "longs to return to Cybertron".
2 The War Within #0
3 backstory established in "What's in a Name?" Marvel UK Transformers Annual 1986; name change confirmed in The War Within - The Dark Ages #1
4 The War Within - The Dark Ages
5 Transformers : The Ultimate Guide
6 "S.O.S. Dinobots" G1 cartoon
7 Actually, this is conjecture based upon the cartoon as this hasn't been covered by the Dreamwave comics yet. Wheeljack rebuilding the Dinobots because of dinosaur skeletons is far more likely than the Marvel continuity's idea of using the implausible "land-out-of-time" Savage Land.

Darn. Is there any way to use superscript on these forums?
(Edit: Superscript has been added, along with additional footnotes.)

Last edited by Roadstripe; 2004-09-08 at 02:33 AM.
Roadstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 12:43 AM   #47
davetherave
Banned

Cheers. That makes sense to me, without having to totaly ignore many events.

Old 2004-09-07, 03:57 PM   #48
Brimstone
Unicron

Houston, TX

Well, that's good. I certainly think the head looks more like Overdrive anyway. Either way...from the one picture of the head I've seen, I don't think it looks anything like Megatron. The gun even kinda looks like one of Overdrive's guns I think (the "plasma beam gun" according to TFU.info)

So, I hope that whoever said originally was just smoking crack. (Megatron as a car? Oi vey!...and G-Bots don't count! )

Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 04:13 PM   #49
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Roadstripe
Here's how I see it:

All the Generation 1 Dinobots existed on Cybertron before the Ark's crash.
Something which was obvious to everyone apart from Donald Glut, the lazy prat who wrote the Dinobot introduction episode without reading his writers' notes. (The notes specify the same information for Snarl as his tech-spec -- ie, that he misses Cybertron.)

Quote:
Darn. Is there any way to use superscript on these forums?
I've just added a <sup></sup> equivalent to the tag system.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 04:39 PM   #50
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

They should make megatron a monkey, the fanboys would love that...

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 05:46 PM   #51
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
Something which was obvious to everyone apart from Donald Glut, the lazy prat who wrote the Dinobot introduction episode without reading his writers' notes. (The notes specify the same information for Snarl as his tech-spec -- ie, that he misses Cybertron.)
Not only that, but Glut also forgot that he wrote the Dinobots' intro episodes, because he claimed in "Call of the Primitives" that Primacron had created all of the primitives, including the Dinobots...

Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 09:33 PM   #52
Brimstone
Unicron

Houston, TX

Quote:
Not only that, but Glut also forgot that he wrote the Dinobots' intro episodes, because he claimed in "Call of the Primitives" that Primacron had created all of the primitives, including the Dinobots...
Yeah...early First Season continuity was kinda messy. In general, I think it's probably easiest when a Season Two and Season One shows disagree with each other...it's probably best to go with Season Two...or so it would seem (as it flows better with everything else).

By the way...I do like the idea that the "dyno-bots" were already pre-existing, but were left out of the first awakening, and Wheeljack had the idea that they'd use dinosaurs to change the dyno-bots into dinobots.

Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 10:39 PM   #53
davetherave
Banned

It's weird how big companies ie marvel have paralel universes, or in Hasbros situation no research. You would of thought hasbro would of supplied all info regarding characters etc, to the script writers.

I've never really seen any other cartoon have so many mistakes if any like tf cartoons. I noticed some more in season three such as magnus talking blasters lines.

You have to admit, what other fantasy story [please don't correct me on this, there are probaly others I'm not aware of] has as amny charcters in it, plus the drawings are so complicated, it's no wonder they put the wrong facction on the wrong bot. Some mistakes were un forgivable though.

I think takara & hasbro are still doing this now. Swindle & deadend although very nice, are copouts, a quick solution to add some decepticons to the line. If they were to make overdrive megatron, how many more mistakes could they make before we throw in the towel?

Old 2004-09-08, 03:43 AM   #54
Roadstripe

The Sock Zone

Quoth Denyer:
I've just added a <sup></sup> equivalent to the tag system.

Thank you. I took advantage of it by editing my post above, with some added footnote information I wanted to put in earlier.

Quoth Nevermore:

Actually, it was Primacron's assistant who claimed to create the 'primatives'. Primacron believed he had created Unicron, but I wouldn't trust the veracity of someone whose mind had spent the last few million years off the deep end.

Quoth inflatable dalek:

Duck and cover!

Quoth davetherave:
I think takara & hasbro are still doing this now. Swindle & deadend although very nice, are copouts, a quick solution to add some decepticons to the line. If they were to make overdrive megatron, how many more mistakes could they make before we throw in the towel?

I don't think those two were mistakes. Copouts, maybe, but not mistakes. Megatron as an Alternator (as the present concept of them as 1/24 scale cars) would be - a rather bad idea.

Old 2004-09-08, 03:47 AM   #55
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Munkey n0+ 3vIl!!!!1one

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-09, 12:36 PM   #56
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

It might not be Glutt's fault the Dino's were built on Earth, the producers and/or script editors could have decided to change the origin. Charecter outlines written as a show starts to go into production often aren't adeared to that closely when the showrunners think they have a better idea (Data from TNG had a completely different origin in his original charecter outline to what was shown in Datalore...).

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-10, 02:11 AM   #57
Roadstripe

The Sock Zone

The old cartoon series wasn't meant to be looked at too closely. It was meant as kids' entertainment of an era when continuity wasn't as big of a deal as it is nowadays.
Still, in the writers' favor, it is a better origin for the Dinobots' alternate modes than the Marvel version, even if Marvel did a far better job with their personalities.

Concerning Alternators, I like that one as Overdrive. It makes a lot more sense than Megatron.

Old 2004-09-10, 02:18 AM   #58
Alpha Trion
One with the Matrix

Cleveland, OH

Quote:
Still, in the writers' favor, it is a better origin for the Dinobots' alternate modes than the Marvel version, even if Marvel did a far better job with their personalities.
I prefer the comic origin. The Savage Land already existed in the Marvel Universe, so why not take advantage of it by having the Dinobots get their alt-modes from there? It was a far more clever use of the outside Marvelverse than the Spider-Man appearance, at any rate.

Alpha Trion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-10, 04:31 AM   #59
Roadstripe

The Sock Zone

Quoth Alpha Trion:
I prefer the comic origin. The Savage Land already existed in the Marvel Universe, so why not take advantage of it by having the Dinobots get their alt-modes from there? It was a far more clever use of the outside Marvelverse than the Spider-Man appearance, at any rate.

I'll grant you that, though I didn't know the Savage Land was also part of the mainstream Marvelverse until many years later (Until Marvel's second run of Star Trek comics, the Transformers comic was the only one of theirs that I read) and I have no problems with anyone preferring the comic origin as it is indeed a clever way for Marvel to have done it.

Personally, I don't much go for it as the Savage Land is scientifically implausible without invoking something like non-Cybertronian alien and/or futuristic technology to muck things up. In my book, Wheeljack being inspired by dinosaur skeletons is not only simpler and more elegant, but also lends a Transformers-personalized feeling to the origin.

Old 2004-09-10, 12:53 PM   #60
davetherave
Banned

More rumours have poped up on other sites about this figure being Megatron. I still hope It isn't but I'm sure we will see very soon.