• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum
Old 2004-12-03, 03:29 AM   #61
I Hate Dirge

Hoylake, Wirral

Thanks for the explanation.

"A Bad day for me is still better than a good day for anyone on your side of the freeway".
I Hate Dirge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-03, 07:50 AM   #62
stoltobot
Headmaster

Nagoya, Japan

Hey I think all the cartoons are crap and Beast Wars is marginally better than crap. But I still watch them all for some strange reason and G1 is still unalterably my favourite and probaby the only reason I ever bothered to watch the others. It's hard to imagine a situation these days where TF's will achieve the same iconic status they held in the 80s in the minds of a generation and that is why I predict there is a very small chance of an Armada/Energon...etc. movie.

Even though the G1 cartoon had the cheesiest plots it was a victim of a generic superhero/ supervillian build a machine to take over the world writing laziness that went all the way to the worst episodes of TMNT and beyond, and even though the discontinuiity between the cartoon and the comic confused my poor 6 year old mind, TF the Movie was still my favourite movie until I was too old to admit it and so-on and so-forth.

There is no 'one-breed' of G1 Transformers fans. Some bought the comic, some watched the cartoon, others only saw the first two series, some only remember the last. Some people only ever remember playing with the toys. But almost everyone who is here posting on this site owes some homage to the original.

I don't think there is one series of TF's that wuld even come close to watchable standards in my normal viewing. It is only the 'x'-factor of the G1 storyline and characters that keeps me looking for something that I don't even know what it is in the newer breed of TF's.

This I am sure, is the reason why Don Murphy thought he could make a little cash-spinner out of everyone, and it is this 'x'- factor that I am sure he thinks he can lure in new and casual fans. The point of my little rant is - all TF's are average, but, G1 had something special (and by continuital definition drags Beast Wars along for the ride).

PS if it isn't against anyones wishes can people post updates of Don's or John's occasional posts in the relevant threads if it hasn't been done. I'm sure heaps of us haven't had time to sift through the crazy message board on Don's site.
________
NEWARK ASSEMBLY

Last edited by stoltobot; 2011-03-09 at 12:12 AM.
stoltobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-03, 12:46 PM   #63
Ghirox

Quote:
Originally posted by fort_max
But you have to remember, Hasbro is a business. They're not going to do a movie solely to do a movie, because they're not going to see very much (if any) of the profits. Hasbro's main concern is going to be the commercial tie-ins. For them, that's where the money is.
A small addiction:
you probably don't agree with me, but i really hate the second part of Armada (cartoon), with the explaination of the repainted toy: if you want to sold reapaint, you can sold it, but if you want to explain in the story how the character had been "repainted" yuo must invent some decent explaination, and not simply destroy all major character because you want to state that minicon rebuild them in a different color (stupidest explaination possible, IMO).
I want not this type of story in the Movie ...

Quote:
Hey I think all the cartoons are crap and Beast Wars is marginally better than crap
The audience of TF comics is an elite audience, because TF was never involved in the prolification of independent comics studios, when comics became more "popular", with great sales and a lot material published. I'm not against the independent studios, as well, and i like some independent product, but the market fall in a crisis, and only some of this studios (the better) survived.
I agree that some show are not the better possible, but cartoon must be a "promotional" media, more than comics, IMO, so the show must be "simplified" to appeal the widest possible audience.

Armada is one of my favourite show (G1 is also one of my favourite, but is so old that i don't want to speak about), despite the fact that i discuss the story in this post, and other aspect of the show in many other post.

About G1: i really like this era, and some fault (animation error or something else) are not so important, because this show were created years ago, when the world was young, the GCI don't exist and only the pencil and the talent of some artist maked a real difference.

Old 2004-12-03, 06:29 PM   #64
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghirox
because this show were created years ago, when the world was young, the GCI don't exist and only the pencil and the talent of some artist maked a real difference.
Okay......what?!?

It's not like Generation 1 was dug out of some Paleolithic cave and tossed on the air. It was made twenty years ago, and the simple fact is, it wasn't good even by those standards.

And CGI did exist in the eighties, it just wasn't as prevalent.

Dead Man Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-03, 06:36 PM   #65
Baxter
MIA

Nashville: Home of the Predators

Quote:
A small addiction:
Drinks out of the minibar?

But I digress, animation has been around for over a hundred years.

And the G1 cartoon is apparently the pinacle of animation.

Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-03, 06:49 PM   #66
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally posted by Baxter
But I digress, animation has been around for over a hundred years.
Ninety, actually.

Quote:
And the G1 cartoon is apparently the pinacle of animation.
Of course. Couldn't you tell? All those animation errors were put there on purpose, so that other animators wouldn't feel too bad about being sub-par.

Old 2004-12-03, 09:08 PM   #67
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Lightbulb

Quote:
some fault (animation error or something else) are not so important, because this show were created years ago, when the world was young
Which is another way of saying the series was produced by hacks... quality animation was around during the eighties, it just wasn't wasted on the scripts turned in for The Transformers...

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-04, 02:28 AM   #68
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Macross was significantly better animated than Transformers, and predated it by a couple of years, for one.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-04, 10:16 AM   #69
CounterPunch
One with the Matrix

What?

heh, the fact that g1 was littered with animation errors was nothing to do with the fact that it was drawn, afterall most of these errors consisted of multiplying characters (remember the 5 rumbles in mtmte) and switching colour schemes (the seekers promintly), this is down to laziness and lack of communication between all partys. The pencillers should have known or been told that there should only be one of that character, and the colourists should have been told which character was which, or look at the previous frame to make it have continuity.

in terms of the g1 animation was bad because it was 20 years ago, no excuse... while the tf:tm animation is seen as poor by some people its miles ahead of the pre (and mostly post) movie episodes, there are other series' that have handled animation better and from an earlier time... and then there was good ole akira which was made in what 1986?

oh and to Brimstone (i think) on the subject of RiD on dvd (i think) if you have a multi region dvd player buy the region 2 boxset that has/is being released

CounterPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-04, 11:11 AM   #70
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Does anyone besides me know that the Looney Tunes cartoons were produced by a handful of guys working out of a shack on the Warner Brothers lot in the 1940s?

These cartoons were hundreds of times better than the original Transformers cartoon and were produced almost 40 years prior. Quality animation was around long, long before 1984.

As for this movie, I love how Murphy drops these little nuggets of info that really don't mean a damn thing and fanboys go nuts because somehow Soundwave being in the movie means it will be good for sure. :rolleyes:

Yeah I'm happy that it will have the original characters and I like that at least Murphy seems to want to get Cullen and Welker but that doesn't say a damn thing about the actual quality of the movie.

All I have to say is that this movie better be a hell of a lot better than the original 98 episodes or I'm going to one very upset Transformers fan!

1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-04, 11:30 AM   #71
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

The G1 episodes animated by Toei, while still error-loaden, were becoming better and better throughout the show, while Hasbro leaned more and more towards the cheaper Akom. Take, for example, "Atlantis Arise". Sure, it had cr@p like double Prime and that sort, but the animation by itself was miles ahead of the "Hanna Barbera" episodes "The Core", "City of Steel" and "The Autobot Run".

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-04, 05:59 PM   #72
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally posted by Hound
Does anyone besides me know that the Looney Tunes cartoons were produced by a handful of guys working out of a shack on the Warner Brothers lot in the 1940s?

These cartoons were hundreds of times better than the original Transformers cartoon and were produced almost 40 years prior. Quality animation was around long, long before 1984.
I was actually going to bring up that same point, but decided to trim it in the interest of brevity.

Old 2004-12-06, 11:40 PM   #73
Brimstone
Unicron

Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally posted by CounterPunch
oh and to Brimstone (i think) on the subject of RiD on dvd (i think) if you have a multi region dvd player buy the region 2 boxset that has/is being released
Yeah, I'd heard about that...unfortunately, I don't have a multi-region DVD player.

-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 12:22 AM   #74
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Lightbulb

It's worth doing some research. Many units can be adjusted. For instance, on the one we've got it was just a case of tapping in a menu sequence with the remote control...

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 12:32 AM   #75
Ultimate Weapon
Banned

The End of Time

I don't remember any errors watching Voltron.

Ultimate Weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 12:33 AM   #76
Brimstone
Unicron

Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
It's worth doing some research. Many units can be adjusted. For instance, on the one we've got it was just a case of tapping in a menu sequence with the remote control...
Hmmm...I will then.

And if I break it...well...what better time to break an expensive piece of electronic equipment than right before Christmas?

-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 12:34 AM   #77
CounterPunch
One with the Matrix

What?

yeah mines merely a four button code that i have to type in with the disk tray open

CounterPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 03:28 PM   #78
Ghirox

Quote:
Originally posted by fort_max
Okay......what?!?

It's not like Generation 1 was dug out of some Paleolithic cave and tossed on the air. It was made twenty years ago, and the simple fact is, it wasn't good even by those standards.

And CGI did exist in the eighties, it just wasn't as prevalent.
ok, i feeled sad, very sad when i write my post ....