Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2004-12-05, 09:59 PM   #21
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Neuronutter
Why is everyone so anti-Brad Mick, I mean Mad Brick? That's a bit harsh. He must really be loathed! Wondered where that came from?
Put it this way, ripping off prominent chunks of TF:TM in Volume 2 was one of the least subtle things I've seen any writer do. Misrepresenting himself as a fresh new face when there was a DW creative director behind the pseudonym was also a rather bad move.

Other than that, I think his problems were straining to show off how much of a fan he is and lacking the writing skills to pace and to control subplots. With a good editor these things wouldn't have been a problem, but Dreamwave has no quality control—they don't even appear to proofread material before sending it to press.

Had he been writing an ongoing from the point he came onboard (and maybe refrained from retconning Volume 1 out completely, which wasted story space) I suspect many people would be a lot happier about his stint.

Incidentally, assuming claims to be true I'm far more in the court of McDonough and Patyk than that of Dreamwave—it doesn't matter what I think of their writing.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 10:16 PM   #22
Blacknife

NE

Anti-Mick? Not per say. I think the ripped off scenes was a horrible attempt to prove "knowledge" about the mythos. Something Sarracini got skewed for in the original volume. A blob goo replacing the Key of Vector Sigma, some of the characters not having that "voice", etc, etc.
Mick was just brought in to appease the fandoms complaints, but did so by butchering parts of the movie tapered onto whatever script he had in order to prove "knowledge" of the mythos.
When he finally stopped butchering the movie, and started moving on, then it was getting a bit more potential. Essentially, he was growing as he wrote. And, now the situation as it is, he's done and left.

Sarracini has another opportunity, but then again, Lee's doing the art.

Blacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 11:37 PM   #23
Neuronutter
Gestalt

Halifax, NS

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Denyer
[B]Put it this way, ripping off prominent chunks of TF:TM in Volume 2 was one of the least subtle things I've seen any writer do. Misrepresenting himself as a fresh new face when there was a DW creative director behind the pseudonym was also a rather bad move.

I actually really liked the sections James used from the movie I guess 'cause it reminded me how much I love the movie and what I think of as some of the best scenes from G1, but I can see how it would probably be seen as a bad thing. I just kinda fitted it into the "new" DW TF universe as nods to the previous work.

I also really liked the pages in #10 where Prowl and co are heading back to Earth cause that reminded me of the movie again, specifically when Prowl and co die. I was reading it praying that he'd keep them in the comic a little longer!

What did you mean "retconning Vol 1 out completely" Denyer? And why don't you like Lee's artwork, Blacknife? I think that Don's work on #9 and #10 is excellent so I'm sad to hear Pat Lee will be back on G1. And yeah i'd agree that most of the comics could've been handled better had DW had quality control and writers who knew more about the Transformers, but hey i'm just glad they're back in print. I also thought they were getting better as they went on and when Patyk was brought on i thought they improved again and they seemed to sort out the "voices" of some of the characters.

Neuronutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-06, 12:03 AM   #24
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

I like the movie too, despite not being a particularly big cartoon fan overall... that's much of the reason I'd have preferred verbatim quotes, rather than awkward partial rewrites, and consider the three-issue adaption done by Marvel US in the 80s to be a waste of paper... taking something and replacing parts with kludgier dialogue is never a winning strategy.

Quote:
What did you mean "retconning Vol 1 out completely"
Wheeljack's "death"—intended as a meaningful sacrifice by Saraccini in Volume 1—is reversed with the most casual of mentions. I'm strongly in favour of character deaths being made to stick, otherwise they have no impact at all. For instance, the pathos of Scorponok's last stand against Unicron towards the end of the US comic would have been completely undermined if he'd been patched up a few issues later.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-06, 12:07 AM   #25
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally posted by Neuronutter
I actually really liked the sections James used from the movie I guess 'cause it reminded me how much I love the movie and what I think of as some of the best scenes from G1, but I can see how it would probably be seen as a bad thing. I just kinda fitted it into the "new" DW TF universe as nods to the previous work.
But there's a difference between "throwing in the occassional nod to the source material to make the fans happy" and "lifting entire storylines because you can't be bothered to come up with something original". That, combined with the incessant, pointless cameos, made it really difficult to consider it a serious attempt at storytelling.

Quote:
And why don't you like Lee's artwork, Blacknife?
If I may...

When Lee's first TF artwork showed up, it was really good. But then, it's not difficult (relatively speaking) to do a poster or a litho, as all you need is a fairly dynamic pose. There isn't any sort of visual storytelling involved, so, as far as anyone knew, Lee was quite the capable artist.

Then the first Generation 1 mini-series came along. Lee's pacing and storytelling abilities fell far short of what one would expect of a professional comic artist. I often had to reread pages six or seven times before I figured out what Lee was going for, and it honestly shouldn't be that way.

Unfortunately, things got even worse with Volume 2, as Lee's art style changed dramatically. His TFs suddenly started looking much too round and organic, which wouldn't be a problem if he were doing Beast Wars. Unfortunately, this was Gen 1, which was characterized by robots that were fairly bricky.

Some have tried to say that the change in his art came from his manga influences, but I don't really see how it matters.

Dead Man Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-06, 12:36 AM   #26
CounterPunch
One with the Matrix

What?

Quote:
Originally posted by fort_max

Some have tried to say that the change in his art came from his manga influences, but I don't really see how it matters.
it doesnt at all, i mean i would say the down sides to Lees artwork are just things that came from the way he learned, different people learn to draw tfs in a different way, its obvious lee feels comfortable drawing transformers like this... then there are problems with things like perspective, proportions and so on, ive never hated lees artwork, but sometimes it feels as if im looking at a photo of an almost immovable figure, instead of a dynamic comic scene.

in terms of other people who seem to draw similar to lee, theres rob ruff... who im truly not impressed with, his work bounces between ok and poor... and then theres joe ng, a good (internet) friend of mine who i find really disappointing, ive been a big admirer of his work, the fan work and fan comic pages that he put out before dreamwave were astounding, and his work on energon was ok, but i read TWW and i am horrified, his transformers are huge and bulky, like those muscle men who are so ripped they have no mobility, the poses he uses are disgusting and two other things that dont do him any more justice are the morbid inks, so dirty and undefined, and the colours (mostly those done by another internet guy and acquaintance Josh Burcham), while Josh has mad colouring skills i feel theyre best left for posters and fan work, hes far too snazzy effects laden for a comic, its just too much to ingest.

on the subject of mick, i think adam patyk was an integral part of the team, id say mick would lay down what he wanted to happen and then adam would deal with pacing and so on... which is the only conclusion i can come to as to why micks writing improved so much between vol 2 and the ongoing

CounterPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-19, 10:59 PM   #27
Lambda prime
Unicron

North East UK

I am dreading G1 ongoing. Being a long time Transformer fan it was good to have it back but Volume One was awful.
Volume Two did it for me, the characters were spot on and the story was engaging, though it still wasn't perfect one of my pet peeves was the movie references.
With the knowledge Saraccini is going to take ongoing back to the basic characters (season one Ark crew, Dinobots ) I'm very worried about the future of this series.
I'll check the first issue with Saraccini as the writer, I'm willing to give him another chance but it might not be the same, Mick was a fan of all things transformers he had big plans to incorperate elements of Beast Wars, Victory, Masterforce and I get the impression Saraccinidoesn't go for any of them by a recent interview.
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/article.php?a=572

Lambda prime is offline   Reply With Quote