• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-23, 05:29 AM   #21
DrSpengler
Primus

Well, I will miss the G1 book. Can't say I feel the same about any of their other titles. I guess I'll NEVER know what happened to Alpha Trion!

If this is all true, anyway.

Old 2004-12-23, 05:42 AM   #22
Alpha Trion
One with the Matrix

Cleveland, OH

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpengler
I guess I'll NEVER know what happened to Alpha Trion!
I die in the end.

I feel indifferent towards the (possible) downfall of DW. The first volume of G1 was so bad that I never bothered buying any more of their books. Damn shame for those who did enjoy some of their work, though.

Old 2004-12-23, 05:47 AM   #23
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Lightbulb

If they go down, I'm more concerned about the unpaid writers and artists than the company itself...

Old 2004-12-23, 06:04 AM   #24
Pun-3X
Clinically dead since 1996

Nevada

Agreed. IF this is the case, I could care about the product. DW doesn't have a "Hasbro" to take over for them and make sure things get distributed properly to the employees/freelancers.

Still, here's to hoping we hear a note squashing this rumor for sure.

Old 2004-12-23, 08:35 AM   #25
CounterPunch
One with the Matrix

What?

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
Are there different editions for the US and UK?
nope, i assume we are talking about the MTMTE TPB's? Ive got my first volume, but havent got my second volume yet (well... my comic store havent)

meh, id hate for dreamwave to go down, purely because i am enjoying the ongoing at the moment (cant say the same for the rest of the titles), but having read the interview with chris s. im still dreading his new direction, i think Mick had big plans for Unicron, and S. is just gonna destroy them

Quote:
Originally posted by Pun-3X
Still, here's to hoping we hear a note squashing this rumor for sure.
oh yeah, and they filled us with confidence for sure, you know, when they made a statement saying everything was fine with Mick and Patyk, only to what 2 weeks later have them leaving?

DW are liars, if they issue a statement saying "we are financially secure" then ill do what i did for the mick statement, which is say thats any statement saying theyre ok is purely a cover up, until they a) sort out the situation or b) get so bad theres no going back, which is when they make the official "we're f*cked" statement.

Last edited by CounterPunch; 2004-12-23 at 08:41 AM.
Old 2004-12-23, 08:38 AM   #26
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon
The fact that you're getting ripped off?
Eh?

Old 2004-12-23, 09:59 AM   #27
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
Well, I got my Volume 2 from Amazon, no problem.

That was about a week ago.
It arrived at my local comic shop either last week or maybe yesterday.

Either way it's been released.

1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Old 2004-12-23, 10:38 AM   #28
Ghirox

I really like their art, but the situation is not the best possible ....

Old 2004-12-23, 03:26 PM   #29
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

The MTMTE V.2 tpb (aren't accronyms fun ), was also in Nostalgia and Comics in Brum last week...

If this is true, I hope that any company which picks up the liscence is able to use the DW continuity, another complete reboot wouldn't be the ideal situation :\

Old 2004-12-23, 07:48 PM   #30
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

Some new poster on the Allspark going by the name "mynameisstan" is telling us that he can 100% confirm that DW is no more.

Who the hell is this guy, I have no clue, but he is asking anyone who wants further info to email or PM him.

I pray this guy is some loser just trying to get a rise out of stirring things up.

Old 2004-12-23, 10:56 PM   #31
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

He made an @$$ out of himself since. "Oh, I got this super-cool ultra top secret information, but I can't tell, sorry." :rolleyes:

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Old 2004-12-26, 01:48 AM   #32
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevermore
He made an @$$ out of himself since. "Oh, I got this super-cool ultra top secret information, but I can't tell, sorry." :rolleyes:
If he's an @$$, then I'm a bigger one, because I believe everything this guy is saying.

Old 2004-12-26, 03:29 AM   #33
Optimus Prime Rib

Battle Creek, MI

DreamWave is closed until the first of the year. Makes this rumor harder to discredit.

Optimus Prime Rib, Most Excellent - Dylan
Old 2004-12-26, 07:00 AM   #34
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Lightbulb

Mmm. And the thought at the back of the mind is that it's at least in part because no-one felt like dealing with legal stuff before new year...

I don't think they're out for the count, but nor do I think they're particularly healthy right now. CrossGen take two? Perhaps.

That the release has been timed to provoke maximum scrutiny may reflect either that more is needed to attract attention at this time, be a coincidence, or simply be the next step in the chain.

Old 2004-12-27, 01:53 AM   #35
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Hmmm... if DW fold, I will be a bit torn. I mean, it couldn't happen to a nicer bloke than Pat, who's a great big smelly cock. Buuuut I'd rather have TF comics than no TF comics, on the whole. Sure, 80+ pecent of their output has sucked, and no, the G1 ongoing is not as r0xx0r as people have made out [one decent, overlong, derivative story; one crap story; two largely crap "bridge issues"...].

But any wankers could get the licencse now. It's not worth the hassle for the likes of DC and Marvel - why be a toy company's bitch when both have restablished [or, in the case of DC, always been established] themselves as "serious" comic book makers? Each one could match TF's sales by simply bringing out another book with one of their characters in, and having a toy wing won't help either. It'll end up with some wankers like Devil's Due, who'd let that ****eater Josh Blaylock onboard.

Overall, I'd really like the storylines to be finished in a perfect world, just some of the big loose ends tied up. After that, ideally, someone like Top Cow would get the license, keep the likes of Figueroa, Milne, Raiz and Furman and carry it on, possibly with better commercial sense and add some talent. The saddest thing is that someone talented like Figueroa hasn't made much impact beyond the ever-dwindling readership of the G1 ongoing, so isn't likely to go on to conquer comics. At least Mad Brityk got their Burger King applications in first.

RE:the MTMTE 2 TPB. It's possible that some where printed, but not many, and thus any unshipped orders are cancelled. Wasn't that the deal with the Miracleman: Olympus TPB, which is why it costs more than most of Eastern Europe?

On the plus side, it happened after they completed the first two TF:WW books and Micromasters, the only stuff that's been all that good across its' whole length, so I can settle.

Erm, doesn't it usually take less time than this for someone to confirm if a sizeable company still exists? Can't Blaster or someone pop over and check if the windows are whited out or something?

Hey, if they do go under, can I get partial credit?

Before Cliffy Essay: Mega-selling comic
After Cliffy Essay: Bankrupt

See the pattern? SEE IT?

Aww, you guys are so mean

Old 2004-12-27, 07:56 AM   #36
Ozz
One with the Matrix

I'm on the roof and I'm staring at the stars...
Wink

Oh my God, you killed DreamWave! You bastard!

Old 2004-12-27, 10:25 AM   #37
stoltobot
Headmaster

Nagoya, Japan

It was fairly obvious to me when Micromasters came out that something was gonna give. I mean, how could they saturate the market with a product with such an obscure (or should I say 'exclusive'...'prestigious') fanbase to begin with, and take an even more obscure part of the line and try and sell it at the same time. It seems they have mistaken the dedication of the fanbase which translated into record breaking initial sales with MTMTE series 1, for a sure fire formula for continued success.

Does anybody have any info on if they have the rights for the cybertron box art? That'll be the clincher in my mind.
________
Honda c77 history

Last edited by stoltobot; 2011-03-09 at 12:14 AM.
Old 2004-12-27, 02:36 PM   #38
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Hey, if they do go under, can I get partial credit?

Before Cliffy Essay: Mega-selling comic
After Cliffy Essay: Bankrupt

See the pattern? SEE IT?
Don't suppose you could write some articles about other companies/creators?

Old 2004-12-27, 03:52 PM   #39
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

Tom, to be fair, everything I've read by Devil's Due apart from the first crossover has been great (Legend of Huma, GI Joe Reloaded) and even that was at least better than Dreamwave's first outing with the Transformers...and I could understand what was going on from panel to panel too unlike their crossover. I wouldn't mind seeing them get the license and do with G1 what they've done with GI Joe Reloaded.

Old 2004-12-27, 05:37 PM   #40
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by stoltobot
It was fairly obvious to me when Micromasters came out that something was gonna give. I mean, how could they saturate the market with a product with such an obscure (or should I say 'exclusive'...'prestigious') fanbase to begin with, and take an even more obscure part of the line and try and sell it at the same time. It seems they have mistaken the dedication of the fanbase which translated into record breaking initial sales with MTMTE series 1, for a sure fire formula for continued success.
Yeah, Micromasters sucked, no doubt, and was pretty obscure even to the casual fan, but guess what?

It sold consistently over 20,000 copies a month, outselling Energon each issue. And the first issue outsold all of DW's other titles, including the ongoing.

So from a business aspect, it was a success. From a quality aspect, it was pure crap.

Closed Thread