The Transformers Archive Skip to main content / Also skip section headers

[The Transformers Archive - an international fan site]
Please feel free to log in or register.

 
  • transformers toys
  • transformers comics
  • transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-12-27, 06:43 PM   #41
pollux prime
Registered User
 
pollux prime's Avatar
 
Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Does anybody have any info on if they have the rights for the cybertron box art? That'll be the clincher in my mind.

I know that some of the Dreamwave guys were working from test shots of the Cybertron line at the Area 51 Show in November. For whats that worth.
 
pollux prime is offline  
Old 2004-12-27, 09:24 PM   #42
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt
 
Commander Shockwav's Avatar
 
Virginia, USA
Default

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13

It was fun while it lasted.

But DW, I fear, is no more.

Time to start psychologically preparing myself that in all likelihood I will never see:
-who Sunstorm really was
-what was so damn important on earth
-the anticipated smackdown between the Predacons and the Dinobots
-Sixshot and Blitzwing, the dynamic duo...or is it dyamic nano
-was Bumper really a traitor
-what was the deal between Megatron and the Quintessons
-the fate of Flash and the other Turbomasters


No more War Within, no more Ongoing. No chance for BeastWars.


NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!


What are the chances that some other company, after snagging the license (which someone will certainly do, with a blockbuster film approaching) will continue where DW left off?

I'm so damn tired of new spins on the Transformers. There has been too many.

I hope they finish what DW started.
 
Commander Shockwav is offline  
Old 2004-12-27, 09:38 PM   #43
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot
 
Dead Man Wade's Avatar
 
Funny location
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
What are the chances that some other company, after snagging the license (which someone will certainly do, with a blockbuster film approaching) will continue where DW left off?
If they're smart, not good.

Now, don't get me wrong. In spite of my increasing disinterest (some might even say 'dislike') when it comes to Dreamwave, there were some bright spots. They were few and far between, but they did exist.

However, given everything that DW did wrong, I can't really see this hypothetical company wanting to continue where they left off. They might use some of the better ideas, but I think it's time to cut the wheat from the chaff.
 
Dead Man Wade is offline  
Old 2004-12-27, 10:13 PM   #44
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.
 
Nevermore's Avatar
 
Autobase Germany
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13
Someone got his five minutes in the spotlight...
 

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Nevermore is offline  
Old 2004-12-27, 10:45 PM   #45
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt
 
Commander Shockwav's Avatar
 
Virginia, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevermore
Someone got his five minutes in the spotlight...
But at what a cost. What a cost.......
 
Commander Shockwav is offline  
Old 2004-12-27, 11:39 PM   #46
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door
 
Cliffjumper's Avatar
 
Talking

GO BREND!

Hmm, the guy lists at least three reasons why no-one would pick up the Tf license... All GI Joe fans want are people shooting each other, no Cobra-La and making sure Snake Eyes doesn't speak. We're bastards, though.
 
Cliffjumper is offline  
Old 2004-12-28, 01:05 AM   #47
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.
 
Nevermore's Avatar
 
Autobase Germany
Default

The new Diamond shipping lists...
 

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Nevermore is offline  
Old 2004-12-28, 01:41 AM   #48
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer
 
Sir Auros's Avatar
 
Virginia, USA
Default

Well what's going to happen to the current WW if all this is legit? Hopefully Furman will do something like what he did with the G2 continuity.
 
Sir Auros is offline  
Old 2004-12-28, 04:42 AM   #49
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing
 
Denyer's Avatar
 
UK
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
What are the chances that some other company, after snagging the license (which someone will certainly do, with a blockbuster film approaching) will continue where DW left off?
They'd have to be f*cking insane, IMO. Whilst it's possible to beat a continuity from what DW have produced, it's an exercise few fans have managed and none seem to have found intuitive.

The company themselves wrote off the first mini-series, switched the second to something open-ended midway through writing it, etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
I'm so damn tired of new spins on the Transformers.
The property has changed inexorably for twenty years, and I can't see a reason it'd stop any time soon. There'll doubtless be far more competent fan wrap-ups of the ongoing plot threads.

Quote:
Originally posted by stoltobot
It was fairly obvious to me when Micromasters came out that something was gonna give.
I disagree: catering only to a fanboy audience (only a handful of 'famous' characters, focusing on art rather than story, flooding the market with simultaneous titles, etc) isn't much of a long-term strategy. It's a little more practical when you have characters who've been around fifty years or so, but even DC and Marvel have the sense to diversify a little.

War Within was, for me, the highlight of DW's re-imagining—and even that was marred by production processes. As has been noted, there was an upsurge in fan interest for Micromasters, because I think most of the fanbase looks forward to something a little different—the more rabid element is simply vocal, not a reliable pocket-filler.
 
Denyer is offline  
Old 2004-12-28, 05:18 AM   #50
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door
 
Cliffjumper's Avatar
 
Lightbulb

I just find it amusing that once again an attempt to cater to the fans of something has died horribly. Fans are diverse; you can't do everything they ask. DW shot themselves in the foot by wanting to throw in every character under the Goddamn sun straight away. The cast left at the end of Vol. 1 should have been kept more or less static for longer, but no, in Vol. 2 we get about 10 characters "debuting" an issue, and the ongoing didn't really slow down much. The reason DW disappearing would leave so many loose ends is because their writers behaved like spoilt kids - picking up a fancy 'new' character, playing with him for a few pages, and then just forgetting about him. G1 #9 & #10 were painfully fractured, there's about 9 million seperate plot threads in each one. We won't forget Prowl's taking a crew to Earth just because you don't take 2 pages each issue to hammer it home, guys. Energon's just as bad - there are seven different little strands in #28. Seven in 22 pages, lots of which were 60+% one frame. This means the books never go anywhere fast, and by the time they get there we've been expecting it for so long we've already got up and moved on to the next thing - prime examples being the return of Megatron in both G1 and Energon.

Mad Brityk may well have had a well-formed plan of their overall story arc. But they waddled all over the place doing so, with mroe and more threads started, and hardly any closed. And Issue #11 would/will introduce the Stupid Fembot Bitch Gang. Wow. Are you seriously telling me #12 would feature the return of Optimus, Megatron's assault on Earth, Bumper's treachery, Bumblebee rejoining, the Quints getting at the Matrix via Arcee, an explanation of Sunstorm and whatever else they've disturbed? No, half of that crap would have been left until no-one cared, if they bothered at all.

DW seem to think that by lobbing in a "fan favourite" like Jetfire, Omega Supreme, Predaking, Elita-1, the Insecticons etc, etc. they're going to keep sales up. Wrong. I already have comics which have most of those characters in. I want to see something done with them.

DW have no-one to blame but themselves. If the licensing fee was extortionate, I expect that was clearly laid out beforehand. If you ever have a comic company, never pin your long-term plans on what's basically a nostalgia title.
 
Cliffjumper is offline  
Old 2004-12-28, 05:40 AM   #51
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing
 
Denyer's Avatar
 
UK
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
DW seem to think that by lobbing in a "fan favourite" like Jetfire, Omega Supreme, Predaking, Elita-1, the Insecticons etc, etc. they're going to keep sales up. Wrong. I already have comics which have most of those characters in.
And to highlight a particular point: so can everyone else—Dreamwave have been competing with the Titan trade paperbacks, and I don't think many of us who've read the Marvel US and UK runs judge DW favourably by comparison...
 
Denyer is offline  
Old 2004-12-28, 05:51 AM   #52
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door
 
Cliffjumper's Avatar
 
Lightbulb

NO WAY D00D! DARK PHOENIX ROCKED MAN!

Wait, Dark Phoenix... I meant Sunstorm.

Is it me, or is there something intrisically cheap about the idea of a company having hundreds of unaccounted-for characters who can turn up at any moment? I mean, seriously, you can't get all on tenderhooks at, say, Huffer being menaced by Rumble when *pop* Fort Max will just emerge from his soon-to-be-retconned-in stasis pod and just start slapping people around.

The seeming lack of editorship was a big mistake, too. Sure, Jim McD hated Vol. 1. But he could have just ignored it without contradicting it any chance he got - it's not like he went on to do great things with Wheeljack, for instance. I mean, I thought both Wheeljack and Superion's deaths were crap. I also thought Op's second Marvel 'death' [if Afterdeath counts, so does bloody Last Stand] was crap... it doesn't mean I'd prefer he turned up in Gone But Not Forgotten saying "boy, I sure am glad Ratchet fixed me after I blew myself up". An editor should simply not let writers act like that, especially with a continuity that's six and a bit issues old.

It may also have been a mistake, business-wise, to switch G1 to being an ongoing... the first two storylines were events, love them or loathe them. The ongoing meant there was a comic every month. You're a casual fan. #7 is crap. You're going to skip #8, wait for the next arc. #9 is unintelligible and unfocused. You go buy Ultimates instead.

The ongoing was also probably hugely difficult to jump on to. The main storyarc would end, but the next issue still has loads of stuff that's been floating around since Vol. 2 or something. At least an annual six-issue mini is less commitment for the reader.
 
Cliffjumper is offline  
Old 2004-12-28, 06:32 AM   #53
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer
 
Sir Auros's Avatar
 
Virginia, USA
Default

I'm seeing an assload of good points, but should parts of this thread be moved over to G1 now that it's become a [good] discussion on Dreamwave's failings?
 
Sir Auros is offline  
Old 2004-12-28, 10:30 AM   #54
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.
 
Nevermore's Avatar
 
Autobase Germany
Default

We still haven't solid confirmation from Dreamwave. You want to sort out "news" from "DW sucks"?
 

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Nevermore is offline  
Old 2004-12-28, 11:07 AM   #55
Ghirox
Guest
 
Default

Since we haven't solid news from DW or someone else (and, eventually, first the thread will be moved), let me speculate about this situation. Remember that i'm writing from an "italian" point of view .... my source are the articles included with my Spiderman Comics (by Marvel Europe, articles about not only Marvel issues, but the entire comics market)

Like the most part of the independent studios (different from the major, Marvel or DC, that owned the right of their character) Dreamwave seems falling for a simple reason: theyr art is wonderful and,in some cases, innovative, becoming a new and higher standard for the market, but they have problem with Marketing and Distribution, I.E. the "Money", and lack a decent Editorial Plan, a long term plan that stated what to do whit TF and what not to do.

See, for example, the series "Witchblade","Darkness" and "Inferno" from Top Cow .... they started with one series, then they have two series, with mixed story arc, then they establish that they want to have a "universe", all theyr series occourring in the same continuity ... but they failed and restart the series .... in the same time Michael Turner leave the studios and founded his own (Aspen Entertrainemnt) ... and the TopCow disapppared from the IT Market.
Oh, Witchblade debuted in "the Battle for Independent" ....do you remember this? A comics published to gain Money for the independent studios that, long ago, was engaged in the same problem .... Could this be DW's turn? I hope that they will have the same destiny of Wildstorm .... that now is part of DC
 
 
Old 2004-12-28, 03:40 PM   #56
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt
 
Commander Shockwav's Avatar
 
Virginia, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
I just find it amusing that once again an attempt to cater to the fans of something has died horribly. Fans are diverse; you can't do everything they ask. DW shot themselves in the foot by wanting to throw in every character under the Goddamn sun straight away. The cast left at the end of Vol. 1 should have been kept more or less static for longer, but no, in Vol. 2 we get about 10 characters "debuting" an issue, and the ongoing didn't really slow down much. The reason DW disappearing would leave so many loose ends is because their writers behaved like spoilt kids - picking up a fancy 'new' character, playing with him for a few pages, and then just forgetting about him. G1 #9 & #10 were painfully fractured, there's about 9 million seperate plot threads in each one. We won't forget Prowl's taking a crew to Earth just because you don't take 2 pages each issue to hammer it home, guys. Energon's just as bad - there are seven different little strands in #28. Seven in 22 pages, lots of which were 60+% one frame. This means the books never go anywhere fast, and by the time they get there we've been expecting it for so long we've already got up and moved on to the next thing - prime examples being the return of Megatron in both G1 and Energon.

Mad Brityk may well have had a well-formed plan of their overall story arc. But they waddled all over the place doing so, with mroe and more threads started, and hardly any closed. And Issue #11 would/will introduce the Stupid Fembot Bitch Gang. Wow. Are you seriously telling me #12 would feature the return of Optimus, Megatron's assault on Earth, Bumper's treachery, Bumblebee rejoining, the Quints getting at the Matrix via Arcee, an explanation of Sunstorm and whatever else they've disturbed? No, half of that crap would have been left until no-one cared, if they bothered at all.

DW seem to think that by lobbing in a "fan favourite" like Jetfire, Omega Supreme, Predaking, Elita-1, the Insecticons etc, etc. they're going to keep sales up. Wrong. I already have comics which have most of those characters in. I want to see something done with them.

DW have no-one to blame but themselves. If the licensing fee was extortionate, I expect that was clearly laid out beforehand. If you ever have a comic company, never pin your long-term plans on what's basically a nostalgia title.

I actually like the fact that there are so many different characters in the TF universe. To be honest, I would be so damn bored from seeing story after story of the original Ark and Nemesis crew. Just plain bored, and I don't think I'd be alone in this.

Just seeing Predaking, the Insecticons, Omega, etc in action is something I think attracts fans, not repels them. Sure, its possible to craft a very mature story from just a few wellknowns. But lets be honest, we are all to some degree kids at heart.
 
Commander Shockwav is offline  
Old 2004-12-28, 04:29 PM   #57
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot
 
Dead Man Wade's Avatar
 
Funny location
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghirox
Random, meandering post
Actually, Dreamwave is more like Image back in the early nineties: All flash and no substance. Art ranging from amazing to barely passable, with stories that run the gamut from bad to really bad.

Fortunately, Image pulled out of it. Will DW do the same? Possible, but highly unlikely as long as Pat Lee is running things.
 
Dead Man Wade is offline  
Old 2004-12-28, 05:05 PM   #58
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Matrix Keeper
 
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron's Avatar
 
Nor Cal
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Buuuut I'd rather have TF comics than no TF comics, on the whole. Sure, 80+ pecent of their output has sucked
I agree. Better to have something on the plate than nothing. Hell, a lot of it did suck, but I was really looking forward to Beast Wars and the end of Energon. Besides, DW's crappiness/achievements have spawned some good topics in the past on these forums. It's great being able to have conversations on something on that majority of us are interested in. I won't believe they've gone under until a public announcement is made. I sure hope that never comes. :\
 
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron is offline  
Old 2004-12-28, 05:29 PM   #59
Cyberman
I have no title...
 
Cyberman's Avatar
 
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Commander Shockwav
I actually like the fact that there are so many different characters in the TF universe. To be honest, I would be so damn bored from seeing story after story of the original Ark and Nemesis crew. Just plain bored, and I don't think I'd be alone in this.
The problem is that with many characters you can´t do much with them. Only an introduction like "Hi, my name is XXX, I´m an Autobot", nothing more.
Where´s the depth, the characterisation?
A few at start, more later when there is time.

--

I might have said that before, but I´d prefer no TF over bad TF. Bad TF will only give TF a bad name, making it harder to get good, while no TF might lead to oblivion - which can later be countermanded.
 

In a perfect world, this would be a signature. As it stands, it's just the lack of.
Cyberman is offline  
Old 2004-12-28, 05:42 PM   #60
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot
 
Dead Man Wade's Avatar
 
Funny location
Default

I'm going to have to agree with Cyberman.

As I've said before, if Dreamwave (or any company) knows they can get away with phoning it in, and people are going to buy it anyway, there's really no reason for them to bother.

Look at the original cartoon. The writers didn't have to worry about plot, characterization, continuity, or any of those other pesky annoyances because they knew that kids weren't going to care. They knew that it didn't matter if it was good, so long as it filled up 22 minutes.

If noone holds Dreamwave (or Marvel, or DC, etc.) to a higher standard than, "Well, at least it's something...", then there's never going to be any incentive for them to do any better.
 
Dead Man Wade is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 
 
[the-hub.co.uk]
[transfans.co.uk]
[oneshallstand]
[unicron.com]
[counter-x.net]
[ntfa.net]
[allspark.com]
[transformertoys.co.uk]
[tfu.info]
[botchthecrab.com]
[obscure_tf]
[tfradio.net]
 

[TFArchive button]
Link graphics...

BOOKMARK US
Or in FF, hit Ctrl+D.