• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > Other Toys, Cartoons & Comics

Old 2005-03-07, 09:05 PM   #21
DrSpengler
Primus

Quote:
Originally posted by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Whoopsy! Nah, I meant that pile of crapfest titled "Van Helsing." My bad.

That would be cool, however if they did make a live action Hellsing movie. That cartoon kicked ass!
Van Helsing was based off of a comic? Gah, all this talk of Van Helsing is giving me throat cancer. I walked out of that mess. Should've just paid some middle schooler $7 bucks to kick me in the groin. At least that would've been a less painful investment.

DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-07, 09:09 PM   #22
Prowl1984
Tick-Tock

What would Deadpool do?

I went to see it with my then girlfriend so i could distract myself from Van Helsing rather than walking out...and i did!

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005
Prowl1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-07, 10:04 PM   #23
Zisteau
smoldering red eyeballs

Italy until December

Wow, this thread bloated up nicely.

Some that I forgot that you guys reminded me of:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Crow
Constantine
Howard the Duck (LOVE watching this movie, its so much fun)

and
X-Men 1 and X-Men 2

Both had great characters, great characterization and dialogue. (except for Halle Berry, shes terrible in everything she does) Both films had zero in the way of story. If you boil down both their "plots" (using that term loosely) they're exactly the same. Singer seems to think- hey, end of the movie, threaten a ton of nameless, faceless people! Thats drama!

And I've also stated my opinion of the Batman films ( to sum up)

Whew. [/rant]

Zisteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-07, 10:05 PM   #24
CounterPunch
One with the Matrix

What?

Quote:
Originally posted by angloconvoy
I was just watching Guyver: Dark Hero yesterday, as it happens.

Oh, and in the UK, Guyver (the first live action one) was called Mutronics: The Movie. Possibly Mark Hamills greatest role.
ah so crap theyre golden....

ooh coinkidink... David Hayter who played Sean Barker (Guyver) in Dark Hero, is also the guy who wrote X-Men and X-Men 2

CounterPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-07, 10:46 PM   #25
Jetfire
Danny Cipriani > You

Hard traveling hero.

Is this just a US comic book movie thread. because there are 20 Animies that would woop almost every film in this topic.

Oh and Hellboy was poor. Not Daredevil bad, but I still felt I'd lost 2 hours of my life.
I think people rated it so highly becasue they wanted it to be good (because the director loves comics and is fat and passionate) and that hope it would be good over-rid what was actually on screen.

Anyways avoiding manga related and animated movies:

Spiderman 2
Superman
Batman
Batman Returns
Ghost World

X-men 2 is good but lacks the repeat value, so just sways under the best. I've somehow missed watching all of "America Splendor" which I've heard nothing but good.

For those counting animated. TF:TM would count as it started out as a comic.....

Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-07, 10:58 PM   #26
Hawkeye
One with the Matrix

Newfoundland, Canada.

spider-man
spider-man 2
Batman: mask of the phantasm (the best batman film so far.)
umm.....unbreakable.(well not a comic but a superhero movie)

. "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-07, 11:17 PM   #27
angloconvoy
Big Metal Person

Ichihara, Japan

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpengler
Also, here's a really good comic book movie I forgot which would have scored highly in my "other" category. Men in Black. The first one, anyway. Dated effects, but still a lot of fun. And it spawned a really good cartoon series.
Technically that could go in the Marvel category. They own the rights, if I'm not mistaken they picked hem up when they bought Malibu?

Actually watched that the other day too. Its cos I'm about to ebay my old vid collection to make space, so I'm giving them a watch to make sure they're not screwed (Y'know, while being moved around from house to house over the years). I've watched some absolute gems I've not seen in ages.

angloconvoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-07, 11:37 PM   #28
Prowl1984
Tick-Tock

What would Deadpool do?

Damn...how could i forget TF:TM, i am a fool. the crow, i forgot that too! im glad there's someone else on here that doesnt like Hellboy

Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005
Old 2005-03-07, 11:38 PM   #29
DrSpengler
Primus

Quote:
Originally posted by Jetfire 2.1
Is this just a US comic book movie thread. because there are 20 Animies that would woop almost every film in this topic.

If we're talking animated adaptation of comics/manga and not just live action, than yeah, they're almost always better.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm was the best Batman movie ever made.

Old 2005-03-07, 11:40 PM   #30
Ultimate Weapon
Banned

The End of Time
Red face

Does Toxic Avenger IV: Citizen Toxie count?

Ultimate Weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-07, 11:41 PM   #31
Prowl1984
Tick-Tock

What would Deadpool do?

Quote:
If we're talking animated adaptation of comics/manga and not just live action, than yeah, they're almost always better.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm was the best Batman movie ever made.
True story, i loved that film

Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005
Old 2005-03-08, 02:11 AM   #32
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile Again, live action only

The Rocketeer
From Hell
Captain America [Fun value. Lots of fun value.]

Bollocks.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-08, 02:15 AM   #33
Prowl1984
Tick-Tock

What would Deadpool do?
Default Re: Again, live action only

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
The Rocketeer
From Hell
Captain America [Fun value. Lots of fun value.]

Bollocks.
original 60's batman film also had alot of fun value, and the original and lame fantastic four film

Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005
Old 2005-03-08, 02:56 AM   #34
Wildrider
Death blossom deployed!

Sneaking out the back door since 1978

'Conan the Barbarian' is, in my opinion, the best comic adap I've seen on the big screen. For story, performances, cinematography and soundtrack and the almost operatic feel to the opening twenty minutes. Has a timeless feel to it and is an excellent stand alone piece.

That though is more a reflection of my taste, Batman et al just aren't to my tastes.

Wildrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-08, 02:58 AM   #35
DrSpengler
Primus

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildrider
'Conan the Barbarian' is, in my opinion, the best comic adap I've seen on the big screen. For story, performances, cinematography and soundtrack and the almost operatic feel to the opening twenty minutes. Has a timeless feel to it and is an excellent stand alone piece.

That though is more a reflection of my taste, Batman et al just aren't to my tastes.
I think it's more an adaptation of the original novels than of the Marvel comics...

Old 2005-03-08, 03:10 AM   #36
Wildrider
Death blossom deployed!

Sneaking out the back door since 1978

Quote:
I think it's more an adaptation of the original novels than of the Marvel comics...

Haha original novels? There were? Doh!

I never knew that, I'm not really an afficianado of comics and such, I think I'd heard it was a comic at some point and thought it to be immediately superior to any of the Batman/Superman/Supergirl junk.

Either way i like it

Wildrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-08, 03:15 AM   #37
DrSpengler
Primus

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildrider
Haha original novels? There were? Doh!

I never knew that, I'm not really an afficianado of comics and such, I think I'd heard it was a comic at some point and thought it to be immediately superior to any of the Batman/Superman/Supergirl junk.

Either way i like it
The original Barry Windsor-Smith comics fromthe 70's were pretty good. I have a couple buried in my foot locker. My Dad's a huge fan of the novels, i should borrow them from him some time.

Old 2005-03-08, 05:45 AM   #38
BigMaki

Jacksonville, FL. You may now feel sorry for me.

My top 5...[list=1][*]Spider-Man[*]The Crow[*]Batman Returns[*]X-Men 2[*]Ghost World[/list=1]
I thought Spider-Man 2 was a meandering, emo, angsty mess of subplots with a few decent action scenes. At least it wasn't Hulk, though. Batman and Robin is still the single worst comic book movie ever, and that includes Superman IV: The Quest for Peace.

If we're going based on trailers without actually seeing the damn movie, Sin City looks to be the best comic book movie by about 100 miles. But I'll reserve judgement until I've actually seen it...

BigMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-08, 11:38 AM   #39
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by BigMaki
I thought Spider-Man 2 was a meandering, emo, angsty mess of subplots with a few decent action scenes.
Alfred Molina rescues it for me, though. Enjoyed it much more the second and third time of asking. Plus it gets bonus points for the Daniel Dae Kim cameo.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-08, 11:40 AM   #40
Zisteau
smoldering red eyeballs

Italy until December

Quote:
Bzzzzzzt! You're both wrong. Conan originated in the thirties as a series of short stories written by Robert E. Howard. He did write one Conan novel, The Hour of the Dragon. Howard's Conan stuff, if you can find it, is some of the most atmospheric, creepy, and nuanced stuff you'll ever read. Unfortunately, Howard commited suicide at something like the age of 35, leaving a ton of unfinished Conan stories, which were later finished by L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter. These are also really good. Anything that comes afterwards (not talking about the comics here) is crap. While Conan the Barbarian the movie is great, a classic, and endlessly rewatchable, it pales in comparison to Howard's original stuff. That Conan would have snapped the Schwarzzeneggar Conan like a twig.

And the new Conan comics (Joe Kelly and Cary Nord or something I think) are really good.

Zisteau is offline   Reply With Quote