• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > Other Toys, Cartoons & Comics

Old 2005-03-08, 11:44 AM   #41
Zisteau
smoldering red eyeballs

Italy until December

Quote:
Originally posted by BigMaki

I thought Spider-Man 2 was a meandering, emo, angsty mess of subplots with a few decent action scenes.

In other words, it cared more about character development, dialogue, and story than assaulting you with endless FX shots. On the other hand, when it did throw FX shots your way, they were first rate. Yeah, I hate crap like that. [/sarcasm]

"angsty mess" is the essence of the character of Peter Parker

Zisteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-08, 12:54 PM   #42
BigMaki

Jacksonville, FL. You may now feel sorry for me.
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Zisteau
In other words, it cared more about character development, dialogue, and story than assaulting you with endless FX shots. On the other hand, when it did throw FX shots your way, they were first rate. Yeah, I hate crap like that. [/sarcasm]
If you knew anything about my taste in movies, you wouldn't speak so hastily, my friend. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't put words in my mouth, either. I thrive on character development, but you know what? There was barely any in Spider-Man 2. Everyone goes in a straight line. Everyone in that movie, and I do mean everyone, is weepy and miserable. And by the end, what are they? A little less weepy and miserable, but still weepy and miserable. I didn't give a **** about the FX sucking in the first one, because I cared so much about everyone. Then they went and made me hate all of those characters in the sequel by making them endlessly angsty. Then they gave me a whole bunch of subplots with no main plot to tie it all together. And I still have no ****ing clue what Dr. Octopus' experiment was all about and why he had to finish it (other than to give Spidey a reason to fight him.) At least Molina was good in the role, though.
Quote:
"angsty mess" is the essence of the character of Peter Parker
Funny, they usually try to make him likeable amongst all that in the comics.

BigMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-08, 01:19 PM   #43
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Smile

Quote:
And I still have no ****ing clue what Dr. Octopus' experiment was all about and why he had to finish it
Fusion reaction type jobby. Create a miniature star that sustains itself and create an endless supply of energy.

He had to finish it because that's what the tentacles were designed for, so when they tapped into his brain their motivation overrode his.

Of course quite why the tentacles were sentient (asides from being a plot necessity to keep Otto from being an outright villain), is still a mystery to me. But that's a different rant for a different day... I made my feelings on the entire thing quite clear at Transfans when it first came out, and I can't be arsed to go and dig it up. Suffice to say, I was not a fan when it was first released, but I can appreciate the film's merits now... still prefer Mystery Men, though.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-08, 05:29 PM   #44
Prowl1984
Tick-Tock

What would Deadpool do?

Quote:
Originally posted by The HeartBrend Kid
Fusion reaction type jobby. Create a miniature star that sustains itself and create an endless supply of energy.

He had to finish it because that's what the tentacles were designed for, so when they tapped into his brain their motivation overrode his.

Of course quite why the tentacles were sentient (asides from being a plot necessity to keep Otto from being an outright villain), is still a mystery to me.
They were sentient because Doc Ock could'nt deal with every flare that popped up from the reaction by himself

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005
Prowl1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-08, 06:53 PM   #45
Zisteau
smoldering red eyeballs

Italy until December

Quote:
And I still have no ****ing clue what Dr. Octopus' experiment was all about and why he had to finish it (other than to give Spidey a reason to fight him.) At least Molina was good in the role, though.
Here's a hint. Its about pride.

Old 2005-03-08, 08:09 PM   #46
BigMaki

Jacksonville, FL. You may now feel sorry for me.

OK, so Dr. Octopus had to finish his experiment simply to prove that he could? It still feels like a case of, "well, we need some reason for Spidey to fight a big battle at the end..."

I'm glad so many people like the movie. I just don't understand how they can keep making excuses for blatant flaws in the script. Sorry...

BigMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-08, 08:29 PM   #47
Ultimate Weapon
Banned

The End of Time

Quote:
That Conan would have snapped the Schwarzzeneggar Conan like a twig.
Pffffftt. It's not like he can beat the Terminator.

Ultimate Weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-08, 08:42 PM   #48
Prowl1984
Tick-Tock

What would Deadpool do?

True story...although i wish he'd kill the one from T3...or the guy who created/wrote it

Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005
Old 2005-03-08, 09:56 PM   #49
Hawkeye
One with the Matrix

Newfoundland, Canada.

yeah conan is pretty awesome. i got the recent collection that puts togather all of his original short stories. fun stuff.

. "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-08, 10:04 PM   #50
Ultimate Weapon
Banned

The End of Time

Is Red Sonja the 3rd Conan movie?

Old 2005-03-08, 10:49 PM   #51
Zisteau
smoldering red eyeballs

Italy until December

Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon
Is Red Sonja the 3rd Conan movie?
Ugh. Don't even mention that pile of excrement. Technically yeah, Conan was in it. But there is a vast divide separating Conan the Barbarian from the other two.

Quote:
OK, so Dr. Octopus had to finish his experiment simply to prove that he could? It still feels like a case of, "well, we need some reason for Spidey to fight a big battle at the end..."

I'm glad so many people like the movie. I just don't understand how they can keep making excuses for blatant flaws in the script. Sorry...
I didn't mean pride as in having pride in a job well done. I meant pride in the negative sense. Octavius was blinded by his pride. He thought that he could solve all the world's problems, and after his experiment failed, he went into intense denial, letting his Id take over (if you wanna get Freudian about it). Its a form of madness, where he put everyone else's problems on his own shoulders, and simultaneously blamed everyone else for his own faults and failures. I think he had the power to take control over the tentacles the entire time, he was just so submerged in grief over his wife and consumed by his own ego that he didn't until the end. At the end, he was going to die no matter what happened, death was staring him in the face. That has a way of giving a person renewed perspective.

Old 2005-03-08, 10:55 PM   #52
DrSpengler
Primus

Quote:
Ugh. Don't even mention that pile of excrement. Technically yeah, Conan was in it. But there is a vast divide separating Conan the Barbarian from the other two.
I thought Arnold played a different character in the movie (never watched it all the way through)? Which is strange, since Red Sonja was in the old Conan comics (and probably the stories, too, though Ihaven't read them).

BTW, isn't Kull the Conquerer supposed to be the prequel to the Conan series? I seem to recall Kull naming his son Conan at the end or something. Been a long time since I watched that ocean of filth.

DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-08, 11:00 PM   #53
Ultimate Weapon
Banned

The End of Time

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpengler
I thought Arnold played a different character in the movie (never watched it all the way through)? Which is strange, since Red Sonja was in the old Conan comics (and probably the stories, too, though Ihaven't read them).
Red Sonja had her own comic series as well. I have a few issues floating around somewhere.

Old 2005-03-08, 11:05 PM   #54
DrSpengler
Primus

Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Weapon
Red Sonja had her own comic series as well. I have a few issues floating around somewhere.
Yeah, I've got her first appearance in the Conan comic. Not worth much, unfortunately. None of my comics are.:\

DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-08, 11:10 PM   #55
Ultimate Weapon
Banned

The End of Time

Quote:
Yeah, I've got her first appearance in the Conan comic. Not worth much, unfortunately. None of my comics are.:\
I have some early Avengers from below 100, from the sixties. They had such good stories back then. I loved Black Panther. Too bad he is a tool in Marvel's use a black character to relate to the people campaign.

Old 2005-03-09, 12:26 AM   #56
Warit00
Powermaster

Thailand(Sorry about my grammar.)

Doraemon!Wahahaha .

Warit00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-09, 12:30 AM   #57
Prowl1984
Tick-Tock

What would Deadpool do?

Dorae what?

Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005
Old 2005-03-09, 12:36 AM   #58
Warit00
Powermaster

Thailand(Sorry about my grammar.)

Doraemon
Doraemon is a cat-like robot from the 22nd century of the future. His favorite food is dorayaki, a sweet bean paste filled bun, and his birthday is 2112-9-3 he is also know by the name "Ding-dong". He weighs 129.3 kg, is 129.3 cm tall, can leap 129.3 cms in the air and can run 129.3 km per hour. He is afraid of mice and hates rats, his ears were eaten off by rats. He has a fourth-dimensional pocket on his abdomen from which he can take out many amazing TOOLS. Doraemon was sent back to the 20th century because Nobita's grandson can't bear to see his grandfather suffer. So he sent Doraemon to help out with Nobita's troubles.

Warit00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-09, 12:59 AM   #59
Wolfang
'Oh mist-filled pits,
dark dank unclear,
touch all before me
with frost-fingered fear'

Narnia?... nope, just a wardrobe...

Hmm... good comic book movies....

X-Men & X-2
Blade
Batman
Superman & Superman II
Spider-Man & Spider-Man 2
Guyver: Mutronics [sp?] & Dark Hero
The Flash
The Crow
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Road To Perdition

decent comic book movies:
Spawn
Blade Trinity
Batman Forever
Men In Black

bad comic book movies:
Daredevil
Batman & Robin
Captain America
Batman & Robin
Batman Returns
Batman & Robin
Superman IV
Batman & Robin
Blade II
Superman III

These are the ones I have seen, BTW.

"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."
Wolfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-09, 11:53 AM   #60
Zisteau
smoldering red eyeballs

Italy until December

Quote:
Arnold did indeed play Conan in that movie, although it was a spin-off: it centered around Red Sonja. And Red Sonja was in the original stories, but like everything else, she was a vastly superior character than the movie iteration. She only shows up for a few stories. The beginning of Red Nails I believe, and a few others.

Quote:

BTW, isn't Kull the Conquerer supposed to be the prequel to the Conan series? I seem to recall Kull naming his son Conan at the end or something. Been a long time since I watched that ocean of filth.
I've never seen the movie, it wouldn't surprise me if they did that. Kull, like Conan, was one of Robert E. Howard's characters, although I think they inhabited somehow different times/universes. I don't know, I've never read the Kull stuff. But Kull is definitely NOT Conan's father as far as the original stories go.