Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Closed Thread

Old 2005-05-20, 04:47 PM   #41
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by ryall
But this is all part of our new Transformers Outreach Program. No, not really--the way I've seen it, the past few months, I've hit a bunch of TF message boards (lurked, anyway) just to get a feel for what people are saying.
In other words, you don't think YOUR message board represents the entire fandom as far as you're concerned? Hey, I like you already!

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Old 2005-05-20, 04:56 PM   #42
Taylor
IDW Staff

IDW Publishing HQ

Quote:
Originally posted by ryall
I'm flattered you think someone else would pretend to be me!

But this is all part of our new Transformers Outreach Program. No, not really--the way I've seen it, the past few months, I've hit a bunch of TF message boards (lurked, anyway) just to get a feel for what people are saying.
I can vouch (for better or worse) that this is the gunuine one-and-only Ryall of IDW.

A number of us from IDW have been lurking in disguise amid the various board including myself. Actually, this is the board I probably hit the most. A lot of what I read here over the past few months I've noted and brought up in meetings and such. So, you're voices are being heard.

Now with that said, we know we won't be able to please ALL of the people ALL of the time. But, we're diggin' what we've got cookin'.

So, you can expect Ryall and I to pop up on occasion. We'll do the best to answer your questions as well as we can - but please keep in mind that we can't let the 'bot out of the bag on everything. And, we'll also be asking questions of you - the Transformers fanbase.

Thanks in advance.

Peace...

Dan
Editor @ IDW
Old 2005-05-20, 04:59 PM   #43
Taylor
IDW Staff

IDW Publishing HQ

Quote:
Originally posted by Zisteau

I REALLY like the look of that "I want you" poster.
Thanks. We think it turned out rather keen as well.

Peace...

Dan
Editor @ IDW
Old 2005-05-20, 07:54 PM   #44
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor
We'll do the best to answer your questions as well as we can - but please keep in mind that we can't let the 'bot out of the bag on everything.
It's a lot more fun with surprises, and this is something DW did a particularly poor job of handling. Their solicitation copy was often about equivalent to the content of an issue being represented, due to decompressed writing and the editing process. It was a shame to see War Within go that way, as Furman elsewhere demonstrated a real talent for short and fast-paced.

Quote:
Originally posted by Osku
take those messages with a little grain of salt.
Mail addresses confirm the accounts.

Old 2005-05-20, 08:14 PM   #45
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany
Wink

My personal dream would be an Alternators comic written and drawn by Hirofumi Ichikawa.

Though I'm aware that's close to impossible to happen.

Old 2005-05-20, 08:15 PM   #46
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Personally, I'd like the more extraneous junk chucked. With Dollars Wanted, we just had Unicron, Junkions, Quintessons... all these side characters. Slimming down to a core of Autobots and Decepticons really just gives so much scope [the Marvel profiles for characters have remarkable depth] and DW didn't seem to do more than present them as stereotypes with no real depth... Something I'd really appreciate, too, is a lack of Sinister-esque plotting baddies hanging in the shadows going "Ah, the pieces are coming together" and crap like that...

Oh, and the other thing - I personally feel that both McDonough and Patyk suffered heavily from the "kids in the candystore" mentality. They really couldn't resist throwing so many characters into the plot at random intervals... there might be no narrative reason why the Autobots can't find Omega Supreme lying around Earth, but really it felt like something of a cheap shot that a well-known character would just tend to turn up out of nowhere to provide an "OMG!" moment at the end of an issue.

Another thing is that IMHO plots need to come to fruition a bit quicker than they did... the Sunstorm arc, despite being DW's best G1 work, was horribly padded, and the sub-plots tended to exacerbated this... in some TF comics they made, there were basically so many plotlines clogging the things up, there were only a few pages on each one per issue, which meant the story lacked focus and plot advancement was very slow.

Personally I think fresh writers would help - maybe have Furman as a consultant or something, but have someone who can bring something new, rather than the regurgitations DW gave us. I also think you guys should jettison all continuity, and go for Ultimate Transformers.

Old 2005-05-20, 08:55 PM   #47
Terome

Default Ditillo and Forward

Very excited about all of this - not only do we have the prospect of Furman building a full Transformers story from the ground up for the first time, but the comic is in the hands of level headed people...

Seriously, the lurking and occasional posting tactic is very much appreciated. It brings back pleasant memories of Larry Ditillo and Bob Forward's approach to fan interaction while working on Beast Wars.

Just be careful not to pander to us fans. We're a schizophrenic beast, at best, and our collective voice would dictate a terrible comic.

Old 2005-05-20, 09:09 PM   #48
Osku
One with the Matrix

Finland

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
Mail addresses confirm the accounts.
Nice. Out of curiosity I browsed some of the other bigger boards to see reactions, and hadn't at least noticed them post elsewhere. Except Newsarama of course.

When the IDW website is updated, it'd be nice to see some more of the concept art used for the license bid from Hasbro.

Edit: The penciler Ej Su was unfamiliar for me, found an older article of his Voltron gig.
http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/pulse...6%26t%3D002452

Must sadly say that I'm not that impressed with those finished pages. Robot designs and black and white pages look promising though.

It seems the picture of opened OP head and a human sitting on the shoulder is quite old. Also a similar picture of Megatron and that crazy Doctor from cartoon.
http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/pulse...5%26go%3Dolder

Homepage
http://www.protodepot.com/
most interesting IMO
http://www.protodepot.com/gallery/th...ls.php?album=6

Last edited by Osku; 2005-05-20 at 09:53 PM.
Old 2005-05-20, 09:15 PM   #49
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Mmm... speaking of which, looking around at reactions elsewhere, I was a little surprised some people didn't seem to recognise the promo being based on the classic Uncle Sam poster.

edit:

Agreed, the Voltron lions look good.

Old 2005-05-20, 11:13 PM   #50
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

Chris Ryall also posted at Allspark, Osku.

Guess he's rather aiming for the "community"-based boards rather than the "We're so cool because X posts here" boards.

Old 2005-05-20, 11:40 PM   #51
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Let's not get started on that...
Quote:
Originally posted at the AllSpark
some of the DW stuff was completed as comics but never collected as trades. That stuff, we're looking at collecting sooner rather than later. The bankruptcy proceedings only delay any decision on unfinished or unreleased comics. But we won't be doing those immediately--in all likelihood, first quarter of 2006, but I think it's important that the first TF book you see from IDW be our Transformers comic.
Definitely, though hearing that there are plans will probably get people who aren't already in a receptive frame of mind for new stuff into one.

Old 2005-05-21, 01:39 AM   #52
Hawkeye
One with the Matrix

Newfoundland, Canada.

well I think that the IDW crew reading our posts is a very good thing. and the idea of "ultimitazing" (for lack of a better word) is the way to go. I understand certain ground may have to be re-tread but please dont let it go to your heads like dreamwave. from sampling your other titles I already know you are a better company than dreamwave and im fairly confident you can take these characters in new directions.....

good luck!

. "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Old 2005-05-21, 02:48 AM   #53
musicman79

Had some doubts at first, but these guys at IDW seem pretty cool, and they're businessmen, unlike the Dreamwave guys. If we've got a comic that'll be quality and last, I guess I can handle another reboot. Some of the ideas that are getting tossed around are pretty damned exciting, i have to admit.

Old 2005-05-21, 08:03 AM   #54
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor
Actually, this is the board I probably hit the most. A lot of what I read here over the past few months I've noted and brought up in meetings and such.

Am I the only one that thinks that's awesome?

1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Old 2005-05-21, 03:13 PM   #55
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Not at all. People just trying not to be starstruck, I think.

Many of the more sensible comments here I've heard echoed by writers, who have a lot of regard for the quick, punchy material they grew up reading. Gearing writing towards collection and trying to strike a balance between different buying demographics has changed the industry.

Thinking of the comics I most enjoy (Ellis' StormWatch, for example) a frequent common factor is that stories are complete within one to three issues, working independently but also joining up into an overall arc. We haven't really seen anything like that for Transformers in a long while.

Which is why I'm particularly glad to hear that big mythic tales won't be the main thrust for IDW—hopefully this also means that Unicron won't be involved for a long time, if ever. That story has already been told, several times, with increasing over-saturation; unexplained baddies such as The Fallen are just a variation on a theme. They're bad because they're bad. Shooting or deus ex machina ensues, then everybody goes home.

There's a lot of room for working with interaction amongst Decepticons—as someone put it, with the later cast especially you get the impression one leader or another recruited from an asylum (or possibly it's just the effect of being cooped up with each other.) Are any of them concerned about becoming the next target? Stuff like this crops up a lot in bios, but much less often in stories—one of the few such "bio" stories is Secrets (UK #275), in which Soundwave frames Wildrider for passing information to the enemy (and of course is himself the traitor, and incidentally happens to be playing both sides against the other. All in 5 pages.)

I'm also hoping mandatory per-issue fight scenes aren't on the cards, or sometimes take place just as background fuzz.

Old 2005-05-21, 03:41 PM   #56
Osku
One with the Matrix

Finland
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevermore
Chris Ryall also posted at Allspark, Osku.
Hadn't yet when I posted my "with a grain of salt" comment. Hadn't read the interview either.

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
Not at all. People just trying not to be starstruck, I think.
I actually hope they don't stay to chat with people and instead concentrate on getting the #0 ready for publish. Also if we start thinking "ooh, they'll be reading this" when commenting, we'll do a disservice for both.

More seriously, I'm glad that they've obviously done their homework. For me (not a Hasbro basher) this snippet about license from the Newsarama interview is a very good sign.

Chris Ryall:
"About this, I'll just say that we weren't the highest bidder to pursue the property. Hasbro made it very clear to us that our approach to business, production values and proposal for the Transformers line outweighed simple bottom-line figures."

Old 2005-05-21, 04:10 PM   #57
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
if we start thinking "ooh, they'll be reading this"
Doubt it'll have much effect on calls for Pat Lee's head on a pike.

Peter David wrote an interesting short about pros online a while back, and some of the comments on that discussion are worth reading both for that and for the trades/decompression debate.

Old 2005-05-21, 08:18 PM   #58
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis
Lightbulb

You know as many BtVS/Angel fans we have here I'm surprised by how many people haven't heard of IDW since they're publishing Angel: The Curse but anywho,

Here some of my ideas:

1) Save Unicorn as an "event" I would be happy if he showed up
no earlier than #25 in a camero then only appears in a limited number of times before #45 then becomes the major threat for #50.

2) From I've seen of IDW's ads in Previews you guys do use some alternate covers while I would love to see no more alternate covers for any comic series ever.
If you're going to use them try not to use them for every issue of the series and for the love of God don't do any Autobot Cover and Decepticon Cover that connect Dreamwave milked that cow to death.

3) You might want to consider a "Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, JLA Classified" type anthology series due to sheer number of TFs it might be a good idea to have a series that explores Transformers characters, Cybertronian history,socity and culture, that have little or nothing written about them.

Old 2005-05-21, 11:55 PM   #59
Justin

Columbus, OH

I'm pretty stoked about this. I have never picked up a Transformers comic, and with this version starting fresh I can start reading from the begining and follow it without having to play catchup.

How can I sign my name on the screen? Do I use paint or something?
Old 2005-05-22, 05:02 AM   #60
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

Time for my two cents.

I am very appreciative of the energy and enthusiasm Mr. Ryall exudes, visiting the many TF message boards around the web, ensuring all the anxious TF fans, whether they be Furman fans, or Mick fans, that he will do his very best to carry this very heavy torch. If he maintains that level of enthusiasm, folks, we're in good hands.

Having said that, there are some concerns, which Mr. Ryall has done an excellent job of addressing this early on in the ballgame.

I think fans tend to forget that a publisher is a publisher. What I mean is, the final product, from a creative standpoint, has little to do with who takes it to print. Whether its DW, Marvel, DC, etc, it really doesn't matter too much. What does matter is the creative team that is set to the task.

So what do we have? Promises of another reboot in the hands of a writer who has steered this ship for two decades. Some might see this as a good thing, but to me, its really taking a chance.

But I have to say, for once, I agree with Cliffy. If ever there was a chance to bring in new writing blood into the Transformers world, NOW is the time. Transformers, as it stands, appeals to a certain group which has neither grown nor diminished in number. But with the introduction of the movie, we should ensure that if we want to take a new approach to the Transformers, a new take, then we should have new writers steering the ship. And these writers should be names known not just to TF fans, but to comic fans in general.

If you have a panel of new writers, you will capture a much greater audience who would be willing to stay along for the ride. Like I said, one-shots are an excellent method of experimentation to see what works. After all, Simon, once upon a time, was an undiscovered 'one-shotter' himself.

In other words, if you want Transformers to succeed and not go the way of DW, if you don't want dwindling sales and eventual cancellation in a couple years, then create a product that appeals to those outside of the diehard fanbase as well. And the best way to do that is to bring in well-known writers, even if its for the purpose of one-shots. It can't be just Furman, and I think Mr. Ryall has addressed that. It's the story that makes or breaks the title, not the art. And there are fans out there who consider Furman's writing outdated and stale.

I personally hope strong consideration has been given to the fact that Simon's well may be running a little dry.

Anyway, aside from this concern, with the enthusiasm and fan interaction Mr. Ryall brings to the table, despite a little skepticism, I'm confident he will in time determine what really is in the fans best interest.

Last edited by Commander Shockwav; 2005-05-22 at 05:46 AM.
Closed Thread