• transformers comics
  • transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2005-05-27, 03:52 PM   #21
Terome

Fall & Rise Of The Decepticon Empire and to a greater extent, the otherwise completely silly Two Megatrons had some fantastic moments concerning Ravage and Megatron's friendship. It's one of the little parts of the UK continuity I like the most - from the single panel in the very first issue that featured Ravage and Megatron talking all kinds of grand Decepticon scheming, Furman extrapolated a complicated friendship between the commander and the spy. Not only does it make Ravage an actual character rather than a growling non-entity, but it says some interesting things about Megatron in that the only person he really trusts is the guy you'd traditionally be suspicious of...

Old 2005-05-27, 07:35 PM   #22
robo_rob

Stockbridge, GA.

My favorite stuff from the old Marvel days would be the Underbase saga and the issues written by Furman. UK stuff, definatley Target 2006 and Space Pirates. Also The G2 comics are still some of my favorite stories. Add in the Botcon/OTFCC comics and thats my favorite Tf comics and more of what I would like to see.

robo_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-27, 08:23 PM   #23
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

Still having not gotten around to reading the whole G1 series, I have only to add that I really liked the G2 series.

It was neat to see this huge Decepticon empire that nobody knew about because they had gone far beyond Cybertron and had rulers who were actually calculating and extremely competent.

Sir Auros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-27, 08:44 PM   #24
dedicon
Gestalt

israel

I liked the Headmasters saga and the Matrix quest parts. I also liked the Target:2006.

If anything, what I liked most about the Marvel US saga was that most of the time, the Decepticons were scattered. They had a group ran by Ratbat(why Ratbat,out of all charecters, i'll never know) one that was ran by Scorponok(who had a very nice character in the comic, fighing with his inner humanity) and i think one was ran by Shockwave for a time, but i can't remember.

I really do think, if the comic will live long(I hope it would) that Optimus/Megatron should be gone on hitaus(maybe fighing alone/together ala Magneto/Prof.X?) while the factions start some inner batttles to determine leadership(and no, I don't mean just Grimlock...).

Then again,that's me and I am just crazy....carry on please...:P

dedicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-27, 11:36 PM   #25
Taylor
IDW Staff

IDW Publishing HQ

Thanks for the input gang. Much appreciated.

Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-27, 11:43 PM   #26
Angelophile
Powermaster

Target 2006 will always be the standard by which I judge Transofmers comics. In a dozen issues (the same page count as one 6 issue arc in US comic standards), Furman managed to create a story that was both epic and delved deeply into the psych of certain characters. The Autobots "making the deal with the Devil" in the shape of Megatron was one of the most shocking moments of any Transformer comic I'd read up to that point.

One reason I think it was so great was because not a single panel was wasted. When you compare something like Dreamwave's first 6 issue series and Target: 2006 there's just no contest. The story stood up as stand alone issues but also as a broad arc, and crammed so much more story into the same pagecount.

Briefly - decompressed storytelling sucks.

I don't want stories that take 6 issues to tell what could be told in 2, I want oldstyle stories that pack in action, thrills, adventure and character into every issue and make me desperate to pick up the next one. I NEVER felt that was the case with something like the meandering Sunstorm story from Dreamwave.

I've always loved Furman's work, but I've loved it a whole lot more when the matrix and the mythology element wasn't paying a bit role. Something like Crisis of Command or In the National Interest holds much more interest for me than any of the mythology heavy epics that Furman's produced from G2 onwards. I'd love to see him back to grass roots, telling stories about sentient robots from another planet, not warriors created by a god to defeat a chaos demon...

What I love most of all is character. Even with a sprawling cast Furman managed to give some characters decent development but when the stories focused on personalities, a few at a time, and gave them depth, that was the best. Moments like those in the aforementioned Rise and Fall of the Decepticon Empire between Ravage and Megaton, in G2 with Megatron and Prime forming their unlikely alliance and Megatron cackling with laughter then spitting viciously, "Prime is of course right. Prime's ALWAYS right!" Soundwave's summary of Starscreams character as "a missile with a mouth" in Crisis of Command.

A small, focused cast, packed with personality, epic storylines and character and you can't go wrong.

If Simon can curb his taste for mythology heavy stories, so much the better.

Last edited by Angelophile; 2005-05-27 at 11:51 PM.
Angelophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-28, 02:43 AM   #27
supermanrex

i am hoping that you at idw will please make good use of the all the profile books done at dreamwave. it would be a shame to let all that hardwork and research fall to the wayside. not too mention it would make me and other fans who shelled out the five dollars an issue feel like our money was not wasted.

supermanrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-28, 03:57 AM   #28
DarkGalvatron
Banned

Here's how I think IDW should handle the TF liscense. Here's what I also want to see & don't want to see.

FIRST OFF,Lets get the good & bad points about Dremwave out in the open.

Dreamwave's good points:
(1)I liked how Dreamwave was directly tied into those Takara Transformer Reissue's. I could always easliy guess the new Takara TF Reissue comming out in japan. Because Dreamwave had those TF Up comming Takara TF reissue toys as the stars in Dreamwave TF G-1 comics. Examples are as follows: Predaking,
Soundblaster,3 Insecticons,Stepper,Blitzwing & so forth... Hopefully IDW get involved with Takara & gives us a up-comming reissue toy tease before takara breaks news of new TF reissues out in japan stores.
(2)Dreamwave had very good relations with Hasbro. Hasbro even hired a few Dreamwave comic artist to do Hasbro TF toy box art. Hopefully Hasbro hires a few IDW comic artist to do TF Hasbro box art too.
(3)Dreamwave made the TF G-1 Comics geared towards adults. I dislike kiddie comics. Hopefully IDW doesn't lower the reader age level of future TF comics.
(4)I liked how Dreamwave drew G-1 Comic Optimus Prime & Armada comic, G-1 Galvatron.
Don Figuerro gave us the 20TH/Master piece Optimus prime toy designs in that Dreamwave G-1 Comic Optimus Prime. I liked how Don Figuerro made Armada comic G-1 Galvatron's crown/horns resemble the Energon Megatron toy crown/horns.
(5)Dreamwave was really good at giving teasers & up-comming toys releases info.
(6)Dreamwave had small fan TF sites advertisement in there TF comics. Example: TFW2005 written on a cybertron tower. or cosmicrust. or transfandom.com,etc... hopefully these small adverstisemts get done in the IDW TF comics.
(7)For the most part Dreamwave gave TF fans the lost years gap stories before the 2005 TF movie.
(8) There's got to be 2 strong TF comics titles done by IDW. IMO,It should be Generation 1 & War within.
(9)The Dreamwave art was spectacular. TF fans won't go back to the aweful Marvel TF art. The IDW TF comics art must be at the same level of dreamwave or better.
(10)Dreamwave recognized some popular Marvel TF stories & popular persona foe verse foe Marvel TF stories. Basically TF fans buying Dreamwave TF comics. got to see some old school TF Marvel stories expanded & broadened. Examples: Dreamwave gave us the TF Volume 2 shockwave & megatron power struggle issues that marvel had. Basically a lot of Marvel TF comic stories & TF character persona issues transferred over to the Dreamwave TF comic stories. I think TF fans wanna see megatron & shockwave fight for decepticon leadership. Starscream plot in a dark corner & side with enemies to get his agenda done,etc...

DarkGalvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-28, 04:13 AM   #29
DarkGalvatron
Banned

WHAT I DISLIKE ABOUT DREAMWAVE IS AS FOLLOWS:
(1)Dreamwave had way too many TF titles out per year. At some point Dreamwave went for numbers/comic titles. instead of giving the readers better quality.
(2)too many TF comic universes/continuites. Dreamwave had a TF G-1 Universe/continuity.A armada/energon universe/continuity. A G.I Joe VS TF universe/continuity. Too many different universes/continuites.
(3)I really dis-liked the Current TF toy line dreamwave comics like Armada & Energon. These comic titles were geared towards the kiddies under age 9. the art was way to bright & sunny. the stories were way to simple & no twist plots. I also hated the fact dreamwave gave us basically the same story formula that the Television armada/energon cartoon series had.
(4)For the most part I only liked the Dreamwave TF G-1 & War within comic titles. everything else was just aweful & had major problems.
(5)Dreamwave had a good 14 months of writting TF comics titles.
2004 had to be Dreamwave's worst art & stories TF comic issues/titles ever. TF G-1 Volume 1 & 2 were great. the on-going TF G-1 Comic was just aweful in dragging/slow story arcs & slightly lower quality art. I must say War within volumes 1,2 & 3 were really great in stories. The war within art in volume 1 was spectacular. while war within volume 2 & 3 art was of lower quality.
(Dreamwave got way behind on TF comic book issues dead lines.
hopefully IDW is on time each month with the newest TF comic issue.

Old 2005-05-28, 04:34 AM   #30
DarkGalvatron
Banned

WHAT MARVEL COMICS DID RIGHT & WRONG:

(1)As many TF fans agree. most of the bad things marvel did with the TF G-1 Comic title. can be excused mainly due to a different era of 20+ years ago. back then Cartoon & comic standards were much lower than the year 2005. lets face it 20 years ago cartoons & comics weren't done for a higher age level beyond 6th grade. today many cartoons & comics are more mature in story lines,plots,arcs,etc...
(2)I liked how Marvel comics didn't give the TF G-1 comic readers the same story formula,universe as the 1984-1986 TF cartoon series. For the most part The TF Marvel comics were in a different universe/continuity. I really like how the marvel TF comics were way more violent compared to the cartoon.
(3)let face it the marvel TF comic art was aweful compared to dremwaves TF Comic art.
(4)I didn't like a few of those Marvel USA comic stories that the writer name BOB Budinski wrote. I didn't like how bob made certain human characters so powerful. There were a few silly marvel comic where a human character named "the mechanic" would take apart 60 foot transformers with a $2 wrench of $40 power drill tool. I also dis-like how bob budinski made another human character named "circuit breaker so powerful. basically bob had "circuit breaker" shoot lighting out of here hands & fry the robots circuits. IDW,Please don't make the humans in the TF comics so powerful or silly.
(5)for the most part there were way more TF Comic issue stories that I disliked by marvel. compared to a few handful of marvel TF g-1 stories that I liked.
(6)For the most part I really enjoyed the Marvel TF Generation 2 comic. the art & stories were superb. simon furman wrote a great story. the G-2 Marvel comic artist did a great job on the art.
(7)I really dis-liked the non-freedom Hasbro gave the marvel TF comic. Examples Hasbro would force the writters to kill off old characters & replace them with new characters. Hasbro did this because they were selling new TF toys each year. hasbro wanted toy advertisent in the marvel TF G-1 comics.

Old 2005-05-28, 05:12 AM   #31
DarkGalvatron
Banned

WHAT I WANT IDW TO DO IN THE TF G-1 COMIC:

FIRST OFF: I really think it's a bad idea in creating a brand new TF G-1 Contunity/Universe. Part of Dreamwave's charm was giving TF fans the un-finished/expanded Marvel TF Comic stories/persona's. Many TF fans want to see the in-between years before TF Unicron TF movie comes.

(1)From what I gather IDW will have the transformers come to earth in the year 2005-2006 for the first time. I think it would be super lame-o to give the Autobots 20 year old+car designs. most of us don't even own a 10 year old car. Why would Jazz want a 1980 porse design. when Jazz could get a 2005 porse design.
GEEZ,Talk about standing out & not blending in. The average person would wonder why 20 cars passing by are 20+ years old.
If IDW wants to do things right they'll use the year 2003-2005 Hasbro/Takara TF alernators & binal-tech toys for the autobots. that would make fans happy. TF Fans will finally get to see alternator/BT toys in the TF comics.
(2)Dreamwaves best thing going for them was spectacular art. don-figuerra took the TF comic art to new levels. heck even the TF Dreamwave comic artist that I disliked were levels above marvel's TF comic artist & other non-TF comic titles. IDW should try to have the same quality or higher than dreamwave TF art. TF Fans got spoiled by TF dreamwave art. TF fans won't accept lower quality art. this will be the deciding factor if TF fans but the IDW Comics. lower TF art equals a no-sale.
(3)Quality over numbers is a must. Dreamwave & marvel went for numbers & the quailty began to suffer on there TF comic issues. IDW,Shouldn't spread itself too thin. ONE or two TF titles is enough per year. just make them spectacular in stories & art.
IDW Shouldn't repeat the 6+ TF titles per year mistake that Dreamwave did.
(4)TF fans want to see those old school marvel comics & cartoon fight re-done in the IDW TF comics. Examples: Shockwave fighting megstron for decepticon leadership. TF fans want to see old grudges/fights rehashed,etc...
(5)Dreamwave suffered in poor sales due to late deadlines. dreamwave was months behind on TF comic issues. this made retailers & fans angry. thus losing interest & a no-sale. Retailers & TF fans want there TF comics on time & on dated schedule.
(6)I & other TF fans dis-liked the long Marvel TF comic plots/arc..
keep the arc's/plots under 8 issues. then tie up all loose ends & move on to the next TF arc. GEEZ,This ain't no soap opera.
(7)IDW,Don't make the humans too powerful or too 3-D persona. everyone's buying the IDW TF comic title for the robots & not the humans. GEEZ NO annoying snot nosed kids getting in the way of the robots. The Armada & Energon Cartoons were aweful thanks to the kids being the star role's/persona's. The human involvement should be simiar to SPike & Sparkplug

Old 2005-05-28, 06:46 AM   #32
Dreadwing

In my opinion, the writting in the UK series was done exceptionally well. Simon Furman really gave the line life. I especially love how Time Wars tied togeather everything that had happened up to that point. To me that was the biggest event since Unicron in the movie( i saw the movie years before reading the comics). However, a lot of the artwork in those issues was never very impressive( I hate Geoff Senior).

The absolute best comics in Transformers history was the Generation 2 series. Nothing will ever beat that. Furmans story IS the most origional TF story I have ever read, and Derek Yaniger drew Transformers in the most insane way. I loved the dark jagged feel, plus all the wires and fluid flowing out of them after battles. The best example of this is Megatron on the last page of issue 7.

If IDW could reunite Simon and Derek that would be the only thing that could compare to G2, EVER.

Old 2005-05-28, 07:04 AM   #33
Dreadwing
Dinobot

Phoenix, Az, USA

And as a side note, I really enjoyed the addition of the Cybertronian army Led by Jihaxus in generation 2. Adding in a completely new faction of transformers without them being gimicky like the minicons was brilliant. There was so much in that series that I loved, if only marvel would have continued it...

If IDW is intending to do several TF comics that are completely separate and unrelated, perhaps Simon could write a series that finally tied up all the loose ends from G2 and the origional US/UK title. That would be something I would love to see.

Last edited by Dreadwing; 2005-05-28 at 07:11 AM.
Dreadwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-28, 08:21 AM   #34
Dreadwing
Dinobot

Phoenix, Az, USA

Another note. I personally would like to see the level of violence in the comics to be raised. What i mean by this is more robots simply beating the hell out of eachother. Like take the scene in Dreamwaves G1 Vol 3 where Sunstorm and Jetfire are fighting inside the nemesis. That was really cool, but very short. I would like to see these bots pummeling eachother for Four or five paes straight without any kind of interuption. Long lasting, hard hitting, side splitting, arm being torn off just to beat the owner with it, mech fluid spilling out, kinda fights are what I would love to see. Basically take a WWE main event match, combine it with Evil dead and translate it to Transformers; thats something I would love to see. Does anyone else agree with me or am I just one sick demented fan?

I know none of this could possibly happen in most of the TF comics due to it being a property geared towards kids, however. Thats why Army of Darkness and Night of the Living Dead are published.

Last edited by Dreadwing; 2005-05-28 at 08:27 AM.
Dreadwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-28, 10:35 AM   #35
dedicon
Gestalt

israel

Hey Dreadwing and DarkGalvatron, welcome to the board!

If you will look to the lower right of your posts, there is a nice yumi looking "edit" button. We use thiis to edit posts instead of making 12 of them if we forgot something. If you think it will be unnoticed that way, just add the word EDIT in capital letters before you add your notes.

It makes browsing the post easier for other fans, and will make the MODs less angry.

Also notice the Toy discussions to the left and the shows discussions to the right.

Please enjoy your stay

Last edited by dedicon; 2005-05-28 at 10:39 AM.
dedicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-30, 02:43 PM   #36
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

My 2 cents: I really don't see the need for IDW to reprint any of the Marvel stuff (US or UK) all the stories that I wanted to read Titan has reprinted.

So other than The Man of Iron and The Earthforce stories that is all I want to see reprinted (that hasn't been reprinted right now)

While I'm not sure but doesn't Titan have plans to reprint The Earthforce stuff later this year?

I think having IDW and Titan both publishing TF trades at the same the time will only frustrate and possibly confuse readers and retailers.

Cyberstrike nTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-30, 03:00 PM   #37
Ozz
One with the Matrix

I'm on the roof and I'm staring at the stars...

And where does it say that IDW wants to publish TPBs with Marvel stories?

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-30, 03:43 PM   #38
barney
Protoform

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozz
And where does it say that IDW wants to publish TPBs with Marvel stories?
That's what I thought too.

"Let's all jump to ridiculous conclusions!"

barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-30, 06:03 PM   #39
Ozz
One with the Matrix

I'm on the roof and I'm staring at the stars...
Red face

But to be honest, if they let me choose which stories would go with which, I'm all for it.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-30, 06:38 PM   #40
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Lightbulb

Please form an orderly line in the direction of the topic... I know a lot of issues and story arcs have already been mentioned, but let's keep this for the question.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote