Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2005-06-06, 05:51 AM   #21
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

More notes thanks to KingMob...

http://www.transfans.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3491

Includes talk about DW screwing up finances, Titan reprints, alt-modes for IDW, and apparently Furman likes Ellis for comics stuff. Nifty.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-06, 12:24 PM   #22
Osku
One with the Matrix

Finland

It seems Furman has posted on the TFW2005 thread.
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showpost1029574-p90.html

by simonf123
Quote:
Hi everyone-- some quick responses and clarifications to the AA-feedback.

1) First of all, when I mentioned 'younger age bracket,' what I meant was we're aiming to appeal to an age group under 30! While we definitely want the long-time fans to read and enjoy the book, we also want to make it accessible and resonant with teenagers too.

2) There'll be a range of ages for the human characters, but the youngest will be maybe fifteen/sixteen. We're not going 'junior' here.

3) Character (alt-mode) updates will be by necessity only. If we can get away with using a 'classic' car in the 2005/2006 setting, we will. I have no burning urge to reinvent the wheel here, I just want to make stuff fresh and believable in a modern setting. These guys want to blend in, so they're hardly going to pick a make of car or whatever from 1984.

4) BUT, and I stress this, we are taking pains to update, not reimagine. All of us (me, EJ, Hasbro, Chris and Dan at IDW) are looking for the most natural fits, those that won't require major tweaks to the robot modes. We want you to look at any given vehicle on a page and know right off it's Wheelie (just kidding!).

5) Megatron. Honestly, I always thought the gun was a bad idea. You've got the most powerful, feared being in the known galaxy and he turns into a handgun (and mostly he needs someone else to hold and point him!). Gimme a break. No, when Megatron transforms, it should be epic, grandiose. Hardened battle veterans should feel their exhaust ports loosen.

6) And finally, trust me that I won't take everything you know and love throw it out the window. I won't. Why? Because I know and love it too. It just don't want to tell exactly the same story. Again.

Cheers-- Simon Furman (honest!)

Osku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-06, 01:41 PM   #23
Prime Maximus

I don't know about you guys, but I'm feeling the direction they are trying to take this, though I'm still just a tad bit iffy. I'll definately will be keeping an open mind going into this. I might just like it!

I think the Transformers franchise was trying to go this route with RiD but it just failed miserably. Then Armada and Energon came out and the original idea for the TF's got completely lost in the struggle.

Prime Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-06, 03:13 PM   #24
Bodycount
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by God Jinrai
... blackbird's not feasible as THAT design went out back in what, the 80's, early 90's?

The stealths really aren't entirely viable for one reason: the lack air to air combat measures in the way that the seekers usually fought... guns. not to mention, they'd be carrying their ordinance on the insides...

as for megatron's alt mode... heaven only knows that they can't go and keep him as a gun because "it's not viable in the toy field anymore"... if he ends up as a tank or jet, I'm going to go medieval on someone...

and to me soundwave just isn't soundwave if he isn't a tape-deck...

everyone keeps saying "get rid of the old rubbish. start fresh"

correct me if I'm wrong, but this is STILL going to be a G1 COMIC, yes?

*sigh*

but go ahead now and call me a "Gee wun fanboy wanker". I'm sure several of you would want to at this point...

Your idea of Transformers are not what Transformers are. Get over it and you'd probably enjoy this hobby more.

Megatron is a tank.

Even Furman agrees that the gun alt mode is very very very stupid.

All of the recent Megatrons have been bounds superior than the old junk.

Bodycount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-06, 03:14 PM   #25
Bodycount
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Prime Maximus
I don't know about you guys, but I'm feeling the direction they are trying to take this, though I'm still just a tad bit iffy. I'll definately will be keeping an open mind going into this. I might just like it!

I think the Transformers franchise was trying to go this route with RiD but it just failed miserably. Then Armada and Energon came out and the original idea for the TF's got completely lost in the struggle.
The original idea is boring and tired.

The new Transformers shows are the real Transformers...that old stuff is just that...old stuff.

Bodycount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-06, 03:21 PM   #26
Civ
News-"breaker"-in-Training

Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally posted by Bodycount

The new Transformers shows are the real Transformers...that old stuff is just that...old stuff.
The new Transformers are the real Transformers? So, I'm just curious where does the old stuff end and the new stuff begin? I'm assuming Beast Wars, but I could be wrong. Why isn't the "old stuff" considered to be real Transformers out of shear curiousity? Last I checked, most of them go from robots to vehicles and back again and most of them did carry Autobot or Decepticon faction insignias.

Civ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-06, 04:08 PM   #27
Brave Maximus
Cybertronian Paladin

Gehenna

Very interesting concept that the "Old stuff" is out of date. Yet Energon (the last North Am TF series) is full of G1 homages and the basic plot line (Need Energon, Autobots are out numbered) is right from G1 too....

And I mean, BW is getting old too - it's been a decade since the first figure was released (well, it was a 2 pack, but that's beside the point).

The classic elements of G1 have show through in all the series, don't just write it off as old.

I mean god, if we got rid of anything 20 years and older.....

Brave Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-06, 04:33 PM   #28
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
The new Transformers shows are the real Transformers...
Fuh-an-bu-oy piiile onnn!

I don't know how adults can use the word "real" in this sort of context with a straight face. Real? And now, introducing Hellmann's fake mayonnaise...
Quote:
Megatron is a tank.
That's one thing I'm inclined to agree with. He's also looked good in green in the past, though maybe less fluorescent colours 'd suit the semi-disguise angle.
Quote:
Originally posted by Osku
It seems Furman has posted on the TFW2005 thread.
Any staff confirmation on whether it looks legit?
Quote:
Originally posted by simonf123
we're aiming to appeal to an age group under 30
Yup. Although most of us are still on this side of 30...

If IDW can get comics away from just being a comic store purchase, there's far better chance of new readers coming into the comic-reading hobby in general, not just with Transformers. The market needs that.
Quote:
Originally posted by simonf123
I know and love it too. It just don't want to tell exactly the same story. Again.
*nod*

The other comments about alt-modes are also good to hear.

Old 2005-06-06, 10:20 PM   #29
CounterPunch
One with the Matrix

What?

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/the-transformers826.html

new interview with Chris Ryall

CounterPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-06, 10:26 PM   #30
barney
Protoform

IDW seem humored and down-to-earth at least.

barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-06, 10:27 PM   #31
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Cool, was just about to post that.

Plans to work with and update the existing profile books, tentative plans for early TF material that hasn't been reprinted elsewhere (I guess that'll depend on talks with Titan) and no-one's failed to spot the size of Mr Murphy's shadow.
Quote:
I think, since we have the luxury of months of pages and don't have to pack in a lot of action into a 90-minute film, we can delve into things a bit more deeply. Not that our book will be any sort of "decompressed" storyline or padded for a TPB
All very reassuring.

Old 2005-06-07, 03:57 AM   #32
Roadstripe

The Sock Zone

Quote:
Quoth Bodycount:

I counter with:
Quote:
"Just because something is old, doesn't mean you throw it away."
Or, in this case, it doesn't mean it isn't a "real" Transformer.

G1 may be old, but it is as much a legitimate part of the mythos as Cybertron is.

Roadstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-07, 07:04 AM   #33
phoenixliger

florida new port ritchey area
Lightbulb other comics have already done this

other comic companies have already done this w/much success.
Marvels did it w/the whole Ultimate series. DC did it with the dark knight they discussed this in the interview (what if G1 took place now instead of 20 years a go)
Im hoping there will be more emphasis on the robots in disguise
pretenders could be important and realistic this time around

phoenixliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-07, 07:12 AM   #34
Ozz
One with the Matrix

I'm on the roof and I'm staring at the stars...

Quote:
Did Don Murphy state that between spewing invectives at the people who post there?

Quote:
There are plans for more books, and especially mini-series, but that's all I really want to say right now... these minis are something special we've got planned, and as soon as I can say what, exactly, I will.

Oh, and there just might be another monthly G1 book coming in the spring, too. Kind of. Sort of.
That sounds interesting. Maybe it will be like X-books were in 80's, which is something I always wanted to see if it would work for Transformers.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-07, 11:02 AM   #35
BlueBlaster

Trollywood Asylum
Cool

I think it would be great with more detective stories with Nightbeat, the dirty Autobot Detective. You could check out US 62 and UK 230-231.

BlueBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-07, 01:37 PM   #36
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by CounterPunch
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/the-transformers826.html

new interview with Chris Ryall
Well, I only had a small interest at first, but after reading that interview, I will definitely be picking it up to see what he's got.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-07, 03:44 PM   #37
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

'Nother interview from TFormers, with some background info on IDW:

http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=4663

Excerpts:

I think about 90% of people reading comics now have grown up on Transformers and I’m no different. What’s different is, I’m not approaching this a fan who wants to offer up his take on TF comics. I’m looking at it from a more broad sense, as in, “what’s worked for Transformers comics all these years? What hasn’t worked? What did the fans like and dislike?” And “how can we relaunch these comics and bring back the fans who were let down before as well as appealing to people who might check out the books for the first time?” Basically, we’re preparing to take the property into the future and build a good, long relationship with both Hasbro and the fans

Think of it like the old Marvel series was Sean Connery’s James Bond. And Dreamwave was George Lazenby… okay, I kid, they were Roger Moore. And we’re going to be the Daniel Craig version.

if you want a demographic grouping, I’d say maybe 12+. But they won’t be too hard to understand for younger kids, and they won’t talk down to adults, either. When I was a kid, I never felt like comics were written for 10-year-old Chris. I just jumped on, and if I understood, great. I liked the idea of being challenged by comic, and I resented it, even as a kid, when comics talked “down” to me. So we won’t do that here, either.

Old 2005-06-08, 10:14 AM   #38
Ghirox

I have a mixed feeling about te Ultimate SpiderMan series - restart the stories, retelling te origin of the character was a great idea, for new reader, but, i readed the frst arc of stories, and i'm still collecting the original series ... relaunch the TF is a good idea or not (retorical question)? Obviously yes, becuase stories was restarted prior than IDW own the licence ( the BW era, the Armadfa continuity ... ), and then they need to restart again ....

Update the Alt Modes - tey need to do so, because make no sense have a story set in thew present days, and use the old mold - other than the aspect of the character, they need to mantain the base of the "personality": Optimus (for example) must be a Truck, a brave leader, and reatain his old "freedom is the right ... " attitude/quote/wisdom, but must not be the same old character we know (i e the same Truck, the same trasformation .... )

Update stories - take care of the lesson about the organic web fluid (that is from SpiderMan - the Movie) - many fans were excited about the movie, expecting something great, and the movie was a great blockbuster, BUT many person think "why an organic fluid ?" ... and the story is sculpted in the stone.

... demographic ... 12+ ... this must not mean Kid involved in a great war, defintely, not like Armada or Energon

SO, finally, we will wait, think, and we will see ...

Old 2005-06-09, 09:43 AM   #39
Ghirox

more about restated Spiderman:

Time ago, a miniseries called Chapter One surfaced, in an attempt to rewrite the original stories for the modern era - the problem was that they simply rewrite the same stories, changing minor detail, with a modern look of the artistic part ----> tell not only stories set in the present, tell new stories!

Old 2005-06-09, 02:29 PM   #40
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Transfannet
IDW STUFF
-No Wildman on a title yet, tho he has spoke with them. IDW want to try a different style to start with, and see how it goes. If things go well, it's possible Andy could get a book from them; they want to have more product than just the one title.
In an ideal world, if he had a choice, he'd want the G1 book tho.
The most interesting thing about that was that Wildman seemed more excited and animated about just the possiability of working for IDW than I've ever seen him when talking about his work on War Within for DW... Does IDW's vision inspire him more? Or is the pay just a lot more? (in fact, if they even managed to pay anyone they'd be doing better than DW...).

Sadly, despite being a nice bloke (I had a long chat with him about the vaugeries of the British railnetwork and dodgy cab drivers) Geoff Senior doesn't seem to have any interest in doing comics at all now.

Incidently, mine was the question asking if we'd evber see the early UK stuff in tpb. I was mildly irked to learn the only chance we have of seeing Man of Iron is to buy the B&W collections to make them good enough sellers so I can buy them again in colour...

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote