• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2005-06-10, 09:48 AM   #21
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Brave Maximus, this is to clarify my point.

People in America don't pay customs for hobby items [included are kits, toys and the sort]. Maybe in some states they do, but not in all.

Sample: THS Galaxy Convoy

HLJ Price: 35 dollars, plus 19 shipping [used the fastest method] = 54 dollars.
BBTS Price: 55 dollars, plus 7 shipping = 62 dollars.

My point has been made. I don't have anything against the store, in fact, I got my superion from there. It's just that I don't like paying inflated merchandise prices.

Back to topic: I think you should compare the price of the re-issue to the price of the original, not the price of an auction. If the auction ended at 100 dollars, what would you think then?

Besides a very limited number of people, who really wants Star Convoy? Sure, he is Optimus Prime, but he's a big brick with four points of articulation with a cool Hot Rod micromaster

Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-10, 11:05 AM   #22
Brave Maximus
Cybertronian Paladin

Gehenna

Quote:
Originally posted by Knightdramon
Back to topic: I think you should compare the price of the re-issue to the price of the original, not the price of an auction. If the auction ended at 100 dollars, what would you think then?

Besides a very limited number of people, who really wants Star Convoy? Sure, he is Optimus Prime, but he's a big brick with four points of articulation with a cool Hot Rod micromaster
That first part doesn't make any sense. Because, put simply, the western world NEVER had access to Star Convoy. It could have cost 1yen when released and it doesn't matter, because very few people in North Am even knew he existed. What his price comparrison is based off of is current market value, and the simple matter of it is: $95 is a LOT cheaper than $350. You're also garunteed that he's in mint condition and that he has all documentation, parts, micro master (cause lets face it, MM Hot Rodimus is cool) etc. If the Auction ended at $100 dollars I would wonder about the seller, the buyer and weither it was an authentic Star Convoy or a Knock off (which, when they show up, still go for $50 - 75USD)

The reason Takara is doing such a long pre order (as I've stated above) is to determine how many Pre-orders to get so they have a better chance of not making too many Star Convoy's to have them sit on the shelf with God Ginrai.

And what's wrong with some bricky goodness? You have to remember, Star Convoy came out in a time where points of articulation weren't the main focus - play factor was. He has 3 modes, he moves on his own, he comes with a micro master and MM launcher truck, He turns into a base for MM's, he combines with 2 other TF's for either a super vehicle or super base, he's a fricking convoy. Yes he has 4 points of articulation, but so did Jazz, Prowl and Co, Sideswipe and Co, Hot Rod, ETC. You cannot compare design asthetics to todays. You have to look at it for what it is and decided if you want to get it.

Brave Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-10, 12:21 PM   #23
Cyberman
I have no title...

Quote:
Originally posted by Brave Maximus
Yeah, the God Ginrai reissue wasn't the brightest on the planet (neither was the Apex Armour Powermaster Optimus Prime....) before the reissue, you could get a complete PM Op for... $25USD-ish. So why would people pay $65-70USD for a different version? Not the best idea.
Well, there are always those who never had PM Prime. And Ginrai seems to be of better quality than PM Prime as well.

Cyberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-10, 12:27 PM   #24
Brave Maximus
Cybertronian Paladin

Gehenna

Oh he is. Don't get me wrong, I'm exstactic that Takara reissued him - he's got die cast metal, chromed parts and the God Bomber armour is great. BUT, he was initially offered for around $65 USD and the PM OP with Apex was $75-80 CDN when we saw it at TRU up here. You have to look at the market for it.

And unfortunatly, not a lot of people bought it at the initial retail price. I got mine off of BBTS 6 months or more after his release for $35USD. So the stores lost money AND they still had plenty of stock.

I guess, what I'm saying is, when it comes to re-issuing TF's, you can't just randomly fire them off. Takara learned this lesson quite well. They kept a lower price point reissue and listened to the fans (Soundwave, who had to be repaired and Stepper who was a remould and not the original).

Old 2005-06-10, 02:53 PM   #25
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyberman
Well, there are always those who never had PM Prime.
What, all three of them?

Dude, everyone and their mother owned a PM Prime!

Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-10, 02:58 PM   #26
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

The Star Convoy reissue is somthing I wouldn't actively pursue, but if I saw it at a Memorabilia and could haggle about a tenner off the price, then i might go for it...

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-10, 02:59 PM   #27
Brave Maximus
Cybertronian Paladin

Gehenna

*Raises hand*

I didn't have a PM Prime - or at least, not a complete and undamaged one......

Old 2005-06-10, 03:10 PM   #28
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Brave Maximus
*Raises hand*

I didn't have a PM Prime - or at least, not a complete and undamaged one......
Oh you should, he makes the perfect murder wepon (it shouldn't take more than two blows).

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-10, 04:23 PM   #29
Brave Maximus
Cybertronian Paladin

Gehenna

Quote:
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Oh you should, he makes the perfect murder wepon (it shouldn't take more than two blows).
Nah, that's what the Maximi are for

Drop them from more than 7' at your intended target - if you hit them on the head, it's game over - if not, they'll step on all the sharp fragments, get a cut and an infection...

Old 2005-06-10, 05:24 PM   #30
Tempest
Banned

Mandurah, Australia.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevermore
What, all three of them?

*Kicks Nevermore in the grion.*

I was 2 when Star Convoy came out ... and my mother used to dangle my above me.

Might look into picking one up, after I get Predaking and find a Re-Issue Megatron.

Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-10, 05:57 PM   #31
Cyberman
I have no title...

Quote:
What, all three of them?

Well, I didnīt.

Cyberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-10, 06:30 PM   #32
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

The reissue will be upgraded.

http://www.zincpanic.com/view_article.phtml?id=23128

Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-10, 06:48 PM   #33
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!
Thumbs up

Cool! A better toy at 1/3-1/6 the price!

EDIT: They killed Smokey! Dang it, Prowl!

Last edited by RID Scourge; 2005-06-10 at 07:00 PM.
RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-10, 06:55 PM   #34
Brave Maximus
Cybertronian Paladin

Gehenna

Sounds interesting Now I want one even more, which is to say - I'll still be getting one

Oh, on a side note, the three people who didn't own a PM Prime are all on this board.....

Oh Tempest - good luck finding a Reissue Megs (any of them) - they're getting really rare.....

Old 2005-06-10, 09:27 PM   #35
Archklown

IL/AZ

As i just joined in the Collecting i dont own a PM Prime:rolleyes: but i do at lest plan on owning one. but this one looks pritty kool. before this though i never even heard of this Convoy

Archklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-10, 09:37 PM   #36
Brave Maximus
Cybertronian Paladin

Gehenna

Hi! welcome to the board.

I'm willing to bet that you're a little too young to have had a PM Prime (If not, I appologize profusely) - but, to be honnest - I'd look on ebay for the God Ginrai reissue - it really is a vastly superior figure (you can wander around the forums to find out why).

Star Convoy was a Japanese exclusive that never even saw a cartoon (Coming in the 2nd last G1 series called Return of Convoy\Battlestars) so very few people on this side of the pacific ever heard of him. That's actually why there's so much shock that he's seeing re-issue.

Check out www.TFU.info for a little more on the and some good pics of him or www.bwtf.com (G1 section, you're going to have to dig) for a good review of him.

Unfortunatly, as he is so rare, and prior to his reissue, bloody expensive - we don't have a review of him on the Archive....

Old 2005-06-11, 05:06 AM   #37
Roadstripe

The Sock Zone

Quote:
The reissue will be upgraded.
To summarize, the Director's Cut. As long as it's only improving the materials and not changing the colors or construction, I can live with it.

ArchKlown ~
Brave Maximus means "the 2nd to last G1 series".

While you're checking out bwtf.com's entry for Star Convoy, be sure to look up Grandus as well. Unfortunately, he has yet to review Sky Garry (with Shotbomber), the third member of the Battlestar base trio.

For more information on Battlestars/Return of Convoy (and other Japanese G1 series), check out Prime Saber's site. (Note: click the right picture as the left doesn't seem to go anywhere right now.)

Once you look over those sites, you'll see why many of us are drooling (and worse) over the thought of finally being able to own this guy without taking out another mortgage.

Roadstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-11, 06:30 AM   #38
Koolbeans X-treme

EB

whats HLJ?

Koolbeans X-treme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-06-11, 06:49 AM   #39
Archklown

IL/AZ

hmm this is a pritty Neat looking prime. It kinda reminds me of the Old Action Play Sets. Like Star wars and tons of other crap used to have (where like Dark Vaders head folds out and its a playset) although this is like 20x better as you also get a nice Action Figgure out of him 2. Also the MicroMaster is a darn neat one and looks as good as todays Mini-cons. Side note just wondering on the MircoMaster is he Axel Jointed or Ball Socketed?

OT: About PM prime i was like 2 when Transformers came out so while i had some things, but at the age of 2 your not a collector so you can guess what happened to them

Old 2005-06-11, 06:50 AM   #40
Archklown

IL/AZ

sorry for the Double Post but WingSaber is a dead Ringer for Sky garry >.> its scary how much they look like

Last edited by Archklown; 2005-06-11 at 06:57 AM.