• transformers cartoon
  • transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2005-08-18, 08:24 PM   #201
Orion1

Ipswich, UK

Fair point. Let's hope that the next group of writers stick around longer. Do you think it would be a good thing if some of, if not all the writers were fans of Transformers, and knew alot about the history of Transformers?

"No matter the distance"
Orion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-18, 08:46 PM   #202
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Yeh, because it worked so ****ing well for the comics.

No, wait, sales dived because the title was pitched at sad fanboys and then the company went bankrupt.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-18, 08:52 PM   #203
Quintison55

Thorton,Colorado

All i got to say is that transformers is popular only because guys like me still collect and watch T-formers. My room is a nostalgic shrine to T-formers. I think it makes sense to grab Peter Cullen for the part of optimus Prime. His raspy John Wayne voice was a huge part of T-former success.

Quintison55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-18, 09:38 PM   #204
Mikotron

Edinboro,Pennsylvania usa

and transformers has never been the same since G1 optimus died

Ba weep granna weep ninni - BONG
Mikotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-18, 09:39 PM   #205
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally posted by Orion1
Fair point. Let's hope that the next group of writers stick around longer. Do you think it would be a good thing if some of, if not all the writers were fans of Transformers, and knew alot about the history of Transformers?
You need a professional first, a fan second. I do believe you need both, but if you get a 'fan boy' first, you're going to get bad writing with endless fan-wanks out there - which does describe a lot of Dreamwave's work, or 99 percent of fan-fiction.

I could do it, for instance, but only because I could tell the 'fans' to sod off when it came to the bigger story. Yeah, I would respect earlier works, but I wouldn't be a slave to them, either - as most fans would want to do. (And, no, I'm not the best example of a 'writing fan', just the one who's work I'm most familiar with. )

I believe there are fans that could be writers, and writers that could be fans... but I don't know, really, how many there are that could do the job required of them. Not too many have really given it a solid effort.

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-18, 10:10 PM   #206
Quintison55

Thorton,Colorado

I think I have a pretty good grasp on the essence if you will of the transformer popularity. I served in the United States Marine Corps for reasons that are similar to why I liked the cartoon. Honor,Courage,and Commitment as corny as it sounds Optimus and the Autobots had it.

Quintison55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-19, 09:26 PM   #207
Orion1

Ipswich, UK

Something that I like about watching movies based on cartoons and comics are the in-jokes. For example, a scene from X2 has Mystique searching for a certain file on a computer, as she's looking, we see a list of names, for anyone that reads X-Men books, or has seen the cartoon will recognise the names. I know a film can't just have in-joke after in-joke, but the odd one here and there is a nice tribute to fans of all incarnations of Transformers.

"No matter the distance"
Orion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-20, 06:17 AM   #208
Spiderman

Boiling Springs, SC
Default Seriously

I think Cullen and Welker are the best choice. Yeah I know Kaye has voiced Megatron ever since Welker left, but to me Welker is Megatron. Cullen is Prime. I've never been impressed with Kaye or Chalk's voice talent in transformers. There's an inalienable quality missing from there tone when they play Megs and Op.

Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-21, 06:18 PM   #209
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Wild Geese, Shout at the Devil, Cannonball Run, plus, of course, The Saint and The Persuaders!, which was awesome.
And lets not forget he was the best thing in Spiceworld by a country mile.

Quote:

I think Patrick McGoohan and Burt Kwouk should be Prime and Megatron. Just because I'm watching Danger Man [released in the USA as 'Secret Agent', which says a lot] right now and they're holding my attention.
Is Kwouk still in Last of the Summer Wine? In which case casting so he can escape from the bath tub would be the greatest act of charity ever commited.

Quote:
Or Jacqueline Pearce as Starscream?
Because Starscream is a sub, Pearce would definately play it a s a dom...

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-21, 11:40 PM   #210
Cassettacon 27

With Soundwave and the rest of the Cassettacons

How about this. Since Welker and Cullen aren't probably not going to be in it (which is a major screw-job to many of us {just saying}) but how about this for voices,
Optimus Prime -- Billy-Bob Thorton (Nothing like a drunking gambling swearing Optimus)
Megatron -- Ian McDiarmid. I find he plays a good evil villain, plus he has the power of the darkside of the force. Sweet.
I also hope that we get to see a good fight between Prime and Megs. Energy Axe to Energy Mace.
Quote:
Welker is Megatron. Cullen is Prime
I hear you Spiderman, but I have to disagree with you on Kaye and Chalk. They have great voices, they only sound wooden in the recent TF series because they've been dubbing, not able to express their voices more freely. And having personally meet both of them, I can say that they are decent, good people, and they desierve a shot at this movie almost as much as Welker and Cullen.

Joke. Noun. A thing said or done to cause laughter. Something not in earnest or ridiculous.

-Slash

Last edited by Cassettacon 27; 2005-08-21 at 11:48 PM.
Cassettacon 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-21, 11:52 PM   #211
chimung

Default Re:

Well since the Cullen/Weller thing prolly ain't gonna happen, I'm learning to accept it. But why not try some other Cartoon Voice actors? Like Kevin Conroy, that guy who voices Batman the Animated Series and JLU, he'd make a good Optimus if they add that Mechanical Reverb effect.
And maybe that guy who plays the Shredder on that new TMNT cartoon as Megs?

chimung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-21, 11:57 PM   #212
Cassettacon 27

With Soundwave and the rest of the Cassettacons

They should get Mark Hammel to play Starscream.
I would say that they should get Vin Diesal to play Soundwave, but he never finishes what he starts, XXX2, 2Fast 2Furious etc etc.
How about The Rock as Soundwave?

Joke. Noun. A thing said or done to cause laughter. Something not in earnest or ridiculous.

-Slash
Cassettacon 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-08-22, 03:14 AM   #213
Spiderman

Boiling Springs, SC
Default point and match

Quote:
Originally posted by Cassettacon 27
How about this. Since Welker and Cullen aren't probably not going to be in it (which is a major screw-job to many of us {just saying}) but how about this for voices,
Optimus Prime -- Billy-Bob Thorton (Nothing like a drunking gambling swearing Optimus)
Megatron -- Ian McDiarmid. I find he plays a good evil villain, plus he has the power of the darkside of the force. Sweet.
I also hope that we get to see a good fight between Prime and Megs. Energy Axe to Energy Mace.

I hear you Spiderman, but I have to disagree with you on Kaye and Chalk. They have great voices, they only sound wooden in the recent TF series because they've been dubbing, not able to express their voices more freely. And having personally meet both of them, I can say that they are decent, good people, and they desierve a shot at this movie almost as much as Welker and Cullen.
Hmmm didn't know that the newer shows were dubbed. That does explain an aweful lot. I really just don't see Chalk as Prime. I see him as Optimus Primal. Although you're rught he probably would be better if he wasn't constrained as much.

Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-20, 02:31 PM   #214
ravimus prime

Dublin

Jesus Christ what's with all the spammers today!

ravimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-20, 03:43 PM   #215
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by ravimus prime
Jesus Christ what's with all the spammers today!
What's with all the people doing this and bumping the topics even after a mod's pruned the spam?

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-21, 06:10 PM   #216
Salvager2

Texas

I am sorry but is it me or does it seem that people are really at odds over this movie? I mean I am personally terrorfied of what is going to happen. I keep reading post after post and it scares me to think of what it is going to be like. I agree that we dont have all the facts as to what is going on with it. Does it strike anyone else that seems odd to keep something this big and popular quiet. I know if it was I who was doing this film that I would want to let the fans know what is going on. I personal dont trust the people in charge of this project. They too seem to be at odds with each other and aginst the fans. So that leaves me with some questions. One what will happen to the Transformers if this project fails? Two, What will happen to the people working with this project if it fails? And three, is everyone worried that this is going to be come a huge catostrophy? THats just my thoughts. If anyone wants to send me emails about it then thats your choice.

Salvager2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-23, 11:38 AM   #217
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

We don't know a lot about the direction the film will take, even at this stage. Deliberate misdirection seems to be par for the course with big-budget films.

Anyway... there are more recent movie threads in the forum, including one about Air Force base locations, several about human actors being cast, and a general movie thread stickied at the top.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote