• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2005-07-25, 04:36 PM   #21
Cassettacon 27

With Soundwave and the rest of the Cassettacons

Quote:
Originally posted by Heinrad
But..... Cullen is the best Optimus Prime. Why would I shell out 8 bucks to see a movie with Gary Chalk playing Prime when I can watch Cybertron?
Exactly. I think that the Hollywood a**holes are making a HUGE mistake by not having Welker and Cullen in the movie. It just cheeses me off. It's a huge slap in the faces of fans who want to hear the original voices they grew up with. If they could get Burt Renolds or whoever in The Longest Yards Remake, I'm pretty damn sure that they could get Welker and Cullen in TF 2007.
I want to see Megatron holding a gun Optimus then say " It's over Prime!"

Who's with me?

Joke. Noun. A thing said or done to cause laughter. Something not in earnest or ridiculous.

-Slash
Cassettacon 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-25, 04:43 PM   #22
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

Say they'd made Star Trek: The Motion Picture without the original cast. Got Lorne Greene to play Kirk, Christopher Reeve to play Spock, Mark Hamill to play Dr. McCoy, etc...... well, okay, it still would have sucked wind, but would all of the Trekkies out there have spent their hard earned money going to the theaters to see it?

Probably not.

I can see not using the original cast of Bewitched because they're either dead or retired. This nostalgia property isn't as old. The target audience is the Transformers fan base. Making a sci-fi movie also limits your fan base as well, as not everybody likes it.

Making a movie based on a 20 year old toy property that has a devoted fan base limits it even more. Fine, bring in the big names. Bring in the hot director. Throw tons of money at it, shine it up all nice and pretty. Pray that the X million people who might watch a sci-fi movie based on a 20 year old toy property simply because the hot star of the week is doing a voice in it take their kids to see it, so the kids can wonder who Hot Rod is.

Given the number of writers they've gone through so far, I'm praying that it hits the level of season three...... not that it's much of a reach........

Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-25, 05:04 PM   #23
Bountyhunter
Gestalt

edgewater

Quote:
Originally posted by Cassettacon 27
Exactly. I think that the Hollywood a**holes are making a HUGE mistake by not having Welker and Cullen in the movie. It just cheeses me off. It's a huge slap in the faces of fans who want to hear the original voices they grew up with. If they could get Burt Renolds or whoever in The Longest Yards Remake, I'm pretty damn sure that they could get Welker and Cullen in TF 2007.

Who's with me?
Again I like orginals and would love to hear frank play something other then a disney animal but I would rather have him play soundwave then Megatron if I had to chose one role. Other then That Would you please stop screaming at the announcement that there will be a casting call. Let us yell about any wrong casting call as they come up. Also Get over the current prime and megs, They are only okay and they will not be picked, of that I am sure.

Bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-25, 05:08 PM   #24
Grimlock2983

Berkeley, CA

Quote:
Originally posted by Heinrad
Say they'd made Star Trek: The Motion Picture without the original cast. Got Lorne Greene to play Kirk, Christopher Reeve to play Spock, Mark Hamill to play Dr. McCoy, etc...... well, okay, it still would have sucked wind, but would all of the Trekkies out there have spent their hard earned money going to the theaters to see it?

Probably not.

I don't think you can compare TF and Star Trek. The ST movies were made specifically to follow the TV show, i.e. in the same continuity. Transformers doesnt appear to be in that vein. Even if it did there's a huge difference between voice acting and live parts. The whole visual recognition thing is important.

Plus, we (TF fans) aren't Trekkies. The fan base just isn't as large. George Lucas can make movies that are utter crap and still make more money than God because the Star Wars fanbase is ginormous. With the TF property you can't. Therefore the movie makers must make the best movie they can, that will appeal to the widest possible audience.

I'm skeptical of the film, but it has little to do with the voice acting and more to do with what I've heard the plot to be.

Blaster: "Grimlock, look over there!"

Grimlock: "You think Grimlock stupid, fall for trick."

Blaster: "Well, yes and no. Yes, I think you're stupid. But no, it's not a trick."

*Decepticons attack while Blaster and Grimlock battle for leadersihp of the Autobots, Issue #41*
Grimlock2983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-25, 05:29 PM   #25
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
They didn't use Nicholas Hammond as Spider-Man. They used Tobey Maguire.
But they kep the Spider Man elements the same. The core story was still there, the characterization was spot on. Etc.. the people cared about the franchise for which they were writing and working on. That doesn't seem to be true for Transformers - where a lot of the players seem hostile to the Transformers concept - and want to make 'war of the worlds' from the point of view of a scmuk.

Quote:
They didn't use Adam West as Batman.
Adam West was not the original Batman, (philistine!), and there were PLENTY of people unhappy with how the movie series went. The first movie 'got the mood' of the 1990s incarnation of Batman .. the rest were milked dry by principals that didn't give a rat's ass about the franchise.

You proved my point, actually... I'l be very surprised if 'Transformers' is any better than 'Batman and Robin' - and, as of now, I have just about as much interest in seeing either... which is zero.

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-25, 05:45 PM   #26
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

Thing is, we've heard bugger all about this movie. I say wait until it's in theatres to judge it.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-25, 05:49 PM   #27
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally posted by RID Scourge
Thing is, we've heard bugger all about this movie. I say wait until it's in theatres to judge it.
They are on their fourth script.

They are on their third writing team.

They have not settled on character designs.

They have not settled on a cast.

They will not use the cartoon or comics for basis material.

They will focus on the human cast.

There will be a limited number of Transformers on either side.

They're shooting for a 'boy and his car' meets 'X-Files' feel.

The director and producer have a long history of failed movies.

Spielburg will not be personally involved.

They want 'star talent' for voice acting.

They are dismissive of the long-time fans.

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-25, 05:56 PM   #28
Bountyhunter
Gestalt

edgewater

Quote:
Originally posted by TFVanguard

then don't watch and go away I am tired of the belly aching. We do not have enough information to judge what is going on yet even

Old 2005-07-25, 05:57 PM   #29
Bingo1

Scotland/London

Quote:

Can we please all get a grip? (Preferably not around one another's throats) The film is two years away. Patience is a virtue.

Bingo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-25, 06:10 PM   #30
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

Quote:
I want to see a movie that is not a direct carbon copy of a movie that bombed at the box offices 20 years ago.

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-25, 06:16 PM   #31
Bountyhunter
Gestalt

edgewater

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevermore
I want to see a movie that is not a direct carbon copy of a movie that bombed at the box offices 20 years ago.
Thank you for saying it! my thoughts exactly

Old 2005-07-25, 08:37 PM   #32
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

Quote:
Perhaps it gets better with every version . . .

Quote:
Well, the number of writing teams really has nothing to do with the success of a movie, unless they pass up on pure gold from one of the earlier teams . . .

Quote:

They have two years to do this, and if needed, they can push the deadline back . . .

Quote:
Why should they? It's their story, not Marvel comics, circa 1985.

Quote:

CG's expensive, time-consuming, and just not practical for movies. This is the only point that worries me about doing a live-action, but I want to see it first before I decide if I like it, or not.

Quote:
Hmmm . . . could be good or bad.

Quote:
That could be bad. Any successes?

Quote:
Four words: "War of the Worlds."

Quote:
Might actually work if they plug the right stars in.

Quote:
Well, I'm a long time fan, and I certainly can't blame them. A whole segment of the fandom is upset that the toyline has evolved past season 2, and would like to see a G1 clone in theatres and on toy shelves. Granted, Murphy comes off as an arse, but he's got to market this towards more than just the small tf fan base.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-25, 08:43 PM   #33
Orion1

Ipswich, UK

Think of it this way, if the film is a success, then there's a chance that more people will become interested in Transformers, hopefully finding out more about the history of the toys/cartoons/comics, watching old episodes, buying toys. They then introduce a friend/relative to Transformers, and so on. What should we end up with? Even more people that share an interest with us.

"No matter the distance"
Orion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-25, 09:05 PM   #34
dedicon
Gestalt

israel

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevermore
Did Batman Begins suck because they didn't cast Adam West as Batman?

For that matter... G1 season 3 SUCKED. They replaced Nimoy with lame Welker.

Eat this, fanboys.
Hmmm... a thought...why not use Leonard Nimoy as Megatron?

Really want the original(basic) Rattrap's gun. Please PM me if you have one you might spare!
dedicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-25, 09:08 PM   #35
Bingo1

Scotland/London

Quote:

Who's with me?
*Bangs head repeatedly against wall*

Old 2005-07-25, 10:25 PM   #36
Heinrad
Ironmod

Riskin' it all on my Russian Roulette!

I'm not sure Nimoy's "big name" enough anymore.......... Besides, he might not want to do it.

Michael Dorn, maybe........

As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-25, 10:28 PM   #37
Soon To Be A Member

True, Adam West was not used in the 90s Batman movies, but he was how old then? Granted, Michael Keaton wasn't exactly young at the time, but better than seeing an aging Adam West hobbling about and parking the Batmobile in handicapped spots. With Transformers it will obviously not be the actors seen on screen, only their voices heard through the audio, which means it doesn't matter if they are old or not. There's where it differs from Batman.

And in a slightly similar vein, was I the only one who thought George Lucas made a mistake by not allowing David Prowse, the ORIGINAL Darth Vader, to don the suit at the end of Ep III? It was plainly obvious that Hayden Christenson weighs around 30-40% less than Prowse as he could not fill in the suit. Overall I greatly enjoyed the movie, but the fact that Prowse was not used in the suit just to give the new guy a go did leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Old 2005-07-25, 10:30 PM   #38
Rodimus Convoy
has less sense than a goldfish

Earth, circa 802,701

Well, personally, I think Chalk does Optimus pretty well, but in terms of the movie, they really need to get Cullen in there. Seriously.

Rodimus Convoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-25, 10:32 PM   #39
Bingo1

Scotland/London

Quote:
Originally posted by Soon To Be A Member
True, Adam West was not used in the 90s Batman movies, but he was how old then?

And in a slightly similar vein, was I the only one who thought George Lucas made a mistake by not allowing David Prowse, the ORIGINAL Darth Vader, to don the suit at the end of Ep III? It was plainly obvious that Hayden Christenson weighs around 30-40% less than Prowse as he could not fill in the suit. Overall I greatly enjoyed the movie, but the fact that Prowse was not used in the suit just to give the new guy a go did leave a sour taste in my mouth.
You're arguing against yourself here - Prowse is now 70, so how on earth would he fit/get into the suit?

Old 2005-07-25, 10:34 PM   #40
Bingo1

Scotland/London

Quote:
Originally posted by Rodimus Convoy
Well, personally, I think Chalk does Optimus pretty well, but in terms of the movie, they really need to get Cullen in there. Seriously.
Why? I've yet to here a serious, cogently argued reason as to why this should be, apart from the usual, tired "He wuz ace in the cartoon" arguments.

The film is not going to be the cartoon, praise be.