• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2005-07-25, 10:46 PM   #41
Rodimus Convoy
has less sense than a goldfish

Earth, circa 802,701

Quote:
Originally posted by Bingo1
Why? I've yet to here a serious, cogently argued reason as to why this should be, apart from the usual, tired "He wuz ace in the cartoon" arguments.

The film is not going to be the cartoon, praise be.
Well, in Energon he had to deal with that little snot-nosed brat Kicker, and he played that whole 'I'm gettin waaay too old for this' role quite well, but what I'm saying is that Cullen didn't need to do that, so even though Chalk does his respective role well, he might not be ready to play old-school Prime.

Rodimus Convoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-25, 10:48 PM   #42
Bingo1

Scotland/London

Quote:
Originally posted by Rodimus Convoy
Well, in Energon he had to deal with that little snot-nosed brat Kicker, and he played that whole 'I'm gettin waaay too old for this' role quite well, but what I'm saying is that Cullen didn't need to do that, so even though Chalk does his respective role well, he might not be ready to play old-school Prime.
Sorry - my point was about Cullen. Should have made myself clearer.

Is the movie Prime going to be 'old-school' Prime, though? Isn't it going to be (hopefully) a new interpretation?

Bingo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-25, 10:54 PM   #43
Rodimus Convoy

Earth, circa 802,701

Quote:
Originally posted by Bingo1
Is the movie Prime going to be 'old-school' Prime, though? Isn't it going to be (hopefully) a new interpretation?
I'm not sure actually, whether it's old or new and no matter who plays in it, I'm gonna see it.

Old 2005-07-25, 11:24 PM   #44
CounterPunch
One with the Matrix

What?

Quote:
Does your experience with Chalk/Kaye only surmount to Energon/Armada/Cybertron? I ask because their voicework on BW/BM was of a far superior quality.

Kay would definitely make a far better Megatron than Welker, Kayes Megatron in BW is the definition of deceitful, conniving, cunning and evil.

Chalk... Hmm im not too sure id like to see him in the role of Prime in the film, he doesnt have the "stop what the hell you're doing and listen to me" feel in his voice BUT that doesnt mean i think Cullen should do it.

"OMG they want 2 get hooollywood starz in 2 do the voices of my fav G1 (ROXXORS) bots"

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH SOD OFF!!! Just because theyre hollywood stars doesnt mean theyre going to be f*cking bullsh*t voice actors!!!

CounterPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-25, 11:24 PM   #45
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

Quote:
but what I'm saying is that Cullen didn't need to do that, so even though Chalk does his respective role well, he might not be ready to play old-school Prime.
Well, Cullen was Prime for what? Two seasons and a few odd episodes?

Chalk all ready has him beat with three seasons of Beast Wars, not to mention two more of Beast Machines, 50-something episodes of Armada, another 50-something episodes of Energon, and will have 50-something more episodes of cybertron by the time the movie even starts to have voice guys.

Shoot, if he isn't ready to do a bad John Wayne impersonation (yes, folks, that's all there is to "old-school" Prime. Half the time, I expected him to call Megatron "Pilgrim"), then no one is.

Once again, I don't really care who does prime, I just think it's silly to say the movie's going to suck because the voice guys are different.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-25, 11:32 PM   #46
Rodimus Convoy

Earth, circa 802,701

Quote:
Originally posted by RID Scourge
Once again, I don't really care who does prime, I just think it's silly to say the movie's going to suck because the voice guys are different.
Well yeah. I don't really care either. And even if the movie does suck, somebody will like it. So no matter who does the voices, some will like it, others will hate it. The sad circle of life.

Old 2005-07-25, 11:42 PM   #47
Almighty Galvatron

Gone drinking

I first thought "this is not going to end well" when they announced they were basing the movie on the G1 marvel comics. They might not be doing that any more but my vision of the end product has not changed.

If they choose to focus on humans and put 'flavour of the month' hollywood actors in there just because they can, then I will simply avoid giving my hard earned cash away when it comes to theatres.

Almighty Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-26, 12:01 AM   #48
Rodimus Convoy

Earth, circa 802,701

Quote:
Originally posted by CounterPunch
Does your experience with Chalk/Kaye only surmount to Energon/Armada/Cybertron? I ask because their voicework on BW/BM was of a far superior quality.

Kay would definitely make a far better Megatron than Welker, Kayes Megatron in BW is the definition of deceitful, conniving, cunning and evil.

Chalk... Hmm im not too sure id like to see him in the role of Prime in the film, he doesnt have the "stop what the hell you're doing and listen to me" feel in his voice BUT that doesnt mean i think Cullen should do it.

"OMG they want 2 get hooollywood starz in 2 do the voices of my fav G1 (ROXXORS) bots"

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH SOD OFF!!! Just because theyre hollywood stars doesnt mean theyre going to be f*cking bullsh*t voice actors!!!
Geez, sorry I upset you. I'm sure the movie will be fine with Kaye and Chalk. I have no doubt in their acting abilities. And no, my knowledge of their work is not limited to Energon/Armada/Cybertron. Beast Wars was a marvel of modern technology and voice-acting.

Old 2005-07-26, 02:55 AM   #49
Decepti-mafia

Talking

Although we currently don't have enough information to really "judge" this movie, i still feel it wont work out too well.

No.1 I am not pleased with the choice for the Director

No.2 I am especially not happy with the choice to not use the original voice actors; and i doubt Gary Chalk and David Kaye will be even considered.

I fully agree with the comment posted above about tapping the franchise dry; thats what they've been doing for every series since Beast Wars where they alse created an enjoyable program with memorable and unique characters which would help boost toy sales.

Today its all the same CRAP, i dont like the idea that the Transformers franchise and idea were sort of handed-off to become completely "anime" and chocked it up with horrible human children, as opposed to creating a witty and well made storyline such as Beasties instead of the repetetive drivel such as Energon and Cybertron.

Anyways, before this gets too long....

I am really happy that the TRANSFORMERS will get a "face lift" with new alternate modes for the original characters, (i've actually drawn up a couple concepts of Soundwave as various attack choppers). But i am not too pleased that the Fans were not taken into full consideration.

I'll still show up at the theatre tho

Old 2005-07-26, 03:06 AM   #50
Springer007
Truth-bearer

Fort Smith, Arkansas

I thought Transformers was originally a japanese cartoon, a spinoff of Microman.... That technically (if what I read was true) made it an anime from the very beginning.. Look at G1 Jetfire, that was a Macross jet just white with red and black stickers

Springer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-26, 03:57 AM   #51
Roadstripe

The Sock Zone

No, Springer007, you're thinking of the original G1 toys, which originated as Microman, Diaclone, and a few from other Japanese lines (including Jetfire, based upon the Valkyrie from Macross (Jetfire's nosecone is more rounded)). The Transformers mythos began in the US in 1984. Japan didn't get on the ride until 1985. The first Transformers animé appeared in 1987 as the Headmasters.

On the main subject, I don't think most of us truly understand just how much work it is to make a movie.
I'd expect there to be somewhere near ten scripts before a near final version is selected (optimistically, somewhere by next summer). More than one writing team? Par for the course. Writing a script is not as easy a task as one might believe. It's tons harder than writing a bit of fan fiction.
Until they get a good script (which will and should take awhile), there's little point in designing or casting characters. We should wait until the end of next summer before we get antsy. And if they choose someone other than the voice actors we all know, it's not a guaranteed failure.
Filming the live-action parts should commence not long after, and they should be well into it by the end of 2006. The CGI work will be a little slower because they need the live-action footage for the CGI characters to 'interact' with, but that should be done by the start of summer 2007.
In the meantime, they'll be editing the movie like crazy, removing parts that don't work, rearranging other bits, refilming some sequences, etc.

In short, lots of hard work that takes lots of time.

Last edited by Roadstripe; 2005-07-26 at 04:19 AM.
Roadstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-26, 04:28 AM   #52
Decepti-mafia

Smile

Although i am geared for the movie, i doubt the "hard work" you mentioned will be implemented as well as you think.

Apparently these people find it more important to work on crappier movies and brush the transformers aside. I assume that by atleast next year there will be anoter delay moving it from its current july 4th 2007 release date.

What i'm trying to get across is that i doubt these people are really "geared" toward actually creating this movie, and it will most likely get a poor review. Regardless, i'm sure the cg and action sequences will be well done, which will probably bring the film up in box office sales (i.e.Fantastic Four-story sucked/sold well)

And the merchandising is endless, you guys are gonna have to empty your pockets for that Transformers bedset lol!

Old 2005-07-26, 04:37 AM   #53
Roadstripe

The Sock Zone

Quote:
Quoth Decepti-mafia:
Although i am geared for the movie, i doubt the "hard work" you mentioned will be implemented as well as you think.
Believe me, I harbor no illusions that hard work equals good work.

Quote:
Apparently these people find it more important to work on crappier movies and brush the transformers aside...(i.e.Fantastic Four-story sucked/sold well)
To them, the Transformers movie is just the same as all the others. If it sells well, then it's a success to be milked until it screams for mercy, dies, and rots to pieces. Whether we fans like the final product or not is immaterial.

Quote:
And the merchandising is endless, you guys are gonna have to empty your pockets for that Transformers bedset lol!
True.

Roadstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-26, 04:51 AM   #54
Dragon Warrior Steve
Powermaster

Orange County, New York

I'm not bitching about having the original VA's, but the guy kind of put Welker and Cullen down like a dick.

Dragon Warrior Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-26, 10:56 AM   #55
Ghirox

Quote:
Originally posted by TFVanguard
They are on their fourth script.
They never finished a script (or the script was not approved)

Quote:
They are on their third writing team.
And need for a fourth .... IMO, this is the moment for think to a restart, and have some Hard TFan involved, to refocus the work on the TF essence

Quote:
They have not settled on character designs.
Hope they will have enough time to do a good job with CGI

Quote:
They have not settled on a cast.
Their idea sucked, so ... good

Quote:
They will not use the cartoon or comics for basis material.
They want to use engineer manual?

Quote:
They will focus on the human cast.
S**T (see my 2nd comment)

Quote:
There will be a limited number of Transformers on either side.
More S**T. I know that CGI is expensive, need lot of work .... but, mind, this is TFTM, not HumanTM (with some huge TF robot around)

Quote:
They're shooting for a 'boy and his car' meets 'X-Files' feel.
I prefer the conspiracy theme, without the boy, especially not Armada or RID boy, that are the main element of a big WAR

Quote:
The director and producer have a long history of failed movies.
OOOPS ..... Crap coming from the horizon

Quote:
Spielburg will not be personally involved.
Too busy, togheter whit Mr Bay

Quote:
They want 'star talent' for voice acting.
OOOPS ..... again. Star talent doesn't automatically mean good job

Quote:
They are dismissive of the long-time fans.
They are dismisssive of every type of fan, IMO, other than "casual" fan, that barely remember who is Optimus Prime

Old 2005-07-26, 11:42 AM   #56
chimung

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevermore
I never understood this. What's so hot about some guy that voiced a cartoon character 20 years ago? What did he do better that another voice actor, who's giving it a fresh approach, can't ever do no matter how much he tries?
edit: Um some of us just don't like Gary Chalk as Optimus Prime! He was fine as Optimus Primal, but Peter Cullen's Optimus is alot tougher sounding, as well as being a much better shot

Last edited by chimung; 2005-07-26 at 11:46 AM.
chimung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-26, 12:10 PM   #57
Bingo1

Scotland/London

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghirox

And need for a fourth .... IMO, this is the moment for think to a restart, and have some Hard TFan involved, to refocus the work on the TF essence

I take it you've read the script, then? You must have done to be able to make such an informed comment.......

Bingo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-26, 12:11 PM   #58
Baxter
MIA

Nashville: Home of the Predators

Rumour has it that Dan Castenella is going to be slated to play Prime. Imagine Homer as Prime. That would be awesome!

SPOILER! (select to read)
I'm making that up by the way

Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-26, 12:39 PM   #59
Prime Maximus

Homer as Prime? I'm imagining Prime accidentally stepping on a human and saying D'oh!

Listen, I as bad as the next person would love to hear Cullen and Welker do Prime and Megatron but I'm also prepared for the fact that won't happen.

As long as its a good story, that's all I ask for. I want to walk out of that theater and say it was better than I thought! That's the kidn of movie that leaves an impression on me.

Prime Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-07-26, 01:13 PM   #60
Loki

London 'burbs, UK

Man, this gets depressing sometimes.

Random comments.

No, I don't like Michael Bay films much. However, whether he's critic friendly or not, he's had precious few movies that tanked at the box office so he's not a bad choice.

Yes, I do prefer Cullen & Welker. I find their voices more distinctive then the recent versions (Even to the point where I recognized 'Eeyore' in the 'Book of Pooh' the other day). No, I don't care they aren't doing it. If you ask me most superstar stunt voice casting actually doesn't end up being terrible all that often. Final Fantasy wasn't good but the voices were all well chosen for their characters, for example.

No, Number of scripts and writing teams don't matter. Underwriting can be as bad as overwriting and you've just got to hope for excellant chemistry between writing, producing and directing teams to make it work.

Yes, of course they'll concentrate on humans because a> they're cheaper and easier to deal with than their CGI co-stars and b> A bit of stunt casting might even get them the mainstream audience they desire. There aren't enough TF fanboys in the world to justify making this movie. But maybe enough nostalgics...

No, I'm not going to like it as much as the original because as cr*ppy as it is in places I'm too emotionally attached to it, even if the new one is Citizen Kane. I'll still going to see it and hope it does well because...

... If it does even only OKish it will justify continuing the franchise for at least another 5 years. That's more new toys/comics I want to see.

Loki is offline   Reply With Quote