• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-04, 07:10 AM   #41
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

Wow, Cloudstrifer's just endearing us to Islam more and more...

Old 2006-02-04, 08:08 AM   #42
Lucifer

LA CA USA
Red face

Nice.

"'If you die,' you said, 'so do I,' you said, but it ends the day you understand, there is no forever, just this."
Old 2006-02-04, 09:34 AM   #43
Bouncelot

Well, since my last post, I've downloaded copies of the cartoons and, to be frank, the majority of them aren't even satirical in a mild way and the others are incredibly mild by any satirical standards. As far as I can tell, the only thing that could be found objectionable is the fact that someone's depicting an image of Mohummed - which is against the teachings of Islam. So, basically, the objectors object to non-Muslims not obeying one of the teachings of Islam. Go figure.

Old 2006-02-04, 11:00 AM   #44
Wildrider
Death blossom deployed!

Sneaking out the back door since 1978
Default One step up the escalator.

So If I say God is a cock, I'm liable for a decapitation? That's a little unreasonable don't you think?

I'm sorry but does anyone see this apparent divide between Islam and everyone else just getting wider and wider with each passing 'incident'? Before, the world and his dog were falling over themselves to try and keep 'us' together in the vain hope we would work out our differences and stop murdering each other.

Now there seems to be an aggressive stance on any minor infraction on a persons religion and we should all be damned for it. Now the youth of today have reasons to hate each other and this will get worse before it gets better, there is no middle ground of mutual respect on show here, just hate.

I just don't see a way back any more, you can't change someone's views over religion. Especially when there are those who live and die based on their interpretation of certain religious texts.

To be honest they shouldn't have to, society, laws, ethics, morals and opinions it's all irrelevant in the face of faith. Those who have faith don't need anything else apart from what they derive as 'rules' from their religion and they will die to defend it and we just have to suck on it.

If one Dane gets murdered over this, once again Islam will be right up there with Christianity as one of two major reasons why we should abolish all religions and have a big hairy love in.

Murder in the name of religion is still murder, just because your faith feels it is justified doesn't make it so.

Murder in the name of a cartoon is just ****ing stupid

Last edited by Wildrider; 2006-02-04 at 12:15 PM.
Old 2006-02-04, 01:25 PM   #45
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally posted by CloudStrifer
Why the Danish did this is still beyond me.
You don't grasp the difference between "the Danish" and "some Danish people", do you? I'm trying to work out if this is just an inability to use language -- an extremely charitable interpretation, judging by past discussions -- or you actually do look at people and see race or country or origin rather than individuals.

Quote:
I think they did a reasonable protest. Arla Dairy, the largest Dairy in Denmark has had it sales do down to 0, lost $480m in sales and lost 175 employees because of this. A very good reaction to the Dane's cartoons.
Penalising people who did nothing, rather than people who actually did something. Yeah, that sounds entirely reasonable, from a sociopathic standpoint.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Auros
Cloudstrifer's just endearing us to Islam more and more
What, you think he's actually a follower of Islam?
Quote:
All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black nor a black has any superiority over a white - except by piety and good action.
Muhammad's last sermon. The prophet was, unsurprisingly, more enlightened about treating people as individuals than most of those who claim to venerate him.

Old 2006-02-04, 01:35 PM   #46
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
What, you think he's actually a follower of Islam?Muhammad's last sermon. The prophet was, unsurprisingly, more enlightened about treating people as individuals than most of those who claim to venerate him.

*Cuckoostrifer* Then clearly this Muhammad is an infedel who dares to mock the sacred teachings of Islam, and should be hunted down and killed just as soon as we've finished cripling Denmark by destroying their Cheese indusrty BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *Cuckoostrifer*

Old 2006-02-04, 02:51 PM   #47
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Arrow

Just why did the racist, inflammatory piece of crap only get a temp ban the last time he claimed all Westerners basically deserve to die? He just constantly plays agent provocateur, trying to get people to say all Muslims are towel-wearing illiterate camel-****ers so he can go all right-wing.

I'm also sure Christianity drew the line at protests and banning the film (only in some areas) when Monty Python did "Life of Brian" too. I don't think the British population were largely threatened with keeping away from Jerusalem, and as far as I can remember, Graham Chapman died of throat cancer, not a "fair play considering you mocked a religious figure" car bomb or something.

Wasn't it CS who said it was justified for that Leeds fan to get stabbed because he burnt a Turkish flag anyway? Why is anyone even trying to reason with this prick anyway?

Last edited by Cliffjumper; 2006-02-04 at 02:55 PM.
Old 2006-02-04, 03:27 PM   #48
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

Hey Lucifer, I fixed one of those imaged for you...

...yeah, it's early and I couldn't think of a better caption.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg douches.jpg (35.8 KB, 173 views)
Old 2006-02-04, 05:05 PM   #49
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Hey you want your free speach with no limits and thats what you get. Its a byproduct of something that Danes are a little obessed about. I guess its Thier Free Speach to have a few hundred thousand Danes out of work. But hey you support free speach don't ya?
As Denyer explained, not all Danish people were responsible for this mess. You want to punish the people who were directly responsible for the cartoons, fine. Boycott the newspaper.

But punishing the Danish people as a whole is just plain ridiculous. I seriously doubt all the Danes got together in some dark room and conspired to smear the nation of Islam.

I'm all for freedom of speech, but if you're going to try and retaliate for it (in a non-violent, economic sort of way), make sure you know who it is you're hurting.

Old 2006-02-04, 05:20 PM   #50
Cyberstrike nTo
Primus

In the Dead Universe known as Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Auros
Preemptively, before anyone criticizes the US media for being "afraid" of showing the drawings under the pretense that it's out of respect for Muslim beliefs...do bear in mind that we have a buttload of troops in an already hostile country. Does the US media think we need to stir that sh*t anymore? I'm thinking they don't and that's a major reason in why it's not being republished or broadcast over here.
Why do we need imports?

We got enough idoits here to make Muslims to make them hate us even more.

While I was watching TNA Impact on Spike TV for the last 2-3 weeks there has been a TV commerical for a video game show that showed a cheesy fake fighting video game that Muhammed fighting Moses and a voice over saying like "That Moses was going Jihad on Muhammed's ass"

The X-WCW a fun site for fun people.
Old 2006-02-04, 06:32 PM   #51
CloudStrifer
Banned

Canada

May I remind people once agian that boycotting is free speach? Its doesn't matter if its right or wrong, certainly that Danish newspaper didn't think before acting, so I don't see why people are getting hussy over the free speach exersied by the Arab countries. After all aren't you arguing for free speach? Or is it only certain groups can have free speach?

As for those pictures, I rather don't care what Arabs/Pakistani or anyone else says. They all look like Mullah's anyway and I don't like Mullah's one bit. They all judgemental sort of people. Thats why I pray only on Fridays. Just to hear everyone is going to hell if they don't follow thier way is enough for a couple of hours.

Old 2006-02-04, 07:05 PM   #52
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Exclamation

Just out of curiosity, if I was to declare anyone of Turkish descent a reactionary, ignorant, racist prick, with my view based on a certain fraction of those of Turkish descent (see if you can guess who), would that then be fair play, even if that extended to threatening and buoycotting people of Turkish descent and their businesses, would that be understandable and fair play?

Old 2006-02-04, 07:29 PM   #53
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
I don't see why people are getting hussy over the free speach exersied by the Arab countries. After all aren't you arguing for free speach?
I think more people are arguing for rational debate than are arguing for a right to threaten violence.

As for getting hussy, is there ever a bad time when Cheech Marin has a sale on?

Old 2006-02-04, 07:30 PM   #54
CloudStrifer
Banned

Canada

Go ahead. It your veiw and your free speach that others in Europe want to protect. It won't effect me though, because my family comes from Turkmenistan while we currently live in Turkey and plus, Turkmenistan sends in Gas and oil to Europe rather than the other way around. So go boycott me and Turkish people if you wish. Just don't expect the Russians and other in Eastern Europe to like you.

Like I said, there are always concequences to ones action. Your action would be in this case non-existant while Turkmenistan's action would have greater concequences for Europe.

Also England import and exports nothing to Turkmenistan, everything is either Russian or Irani. So you boycotting us would be funny. Boycott Turkey if you so wish, I just move back or to Iran anyway, we have family in most middle eastern countries anyway.

Edit:

Denyer, I haven't been arguing for violence anyway, just economic presure. After all it is a more peacful route than terrorists activities. I am suprised myself that Arabs can be this conordinated.

Last edited by CloudStrifer; 2006-02-04 at 07:34 PM.
Old 2006-02-04, 07:43 PM   #55
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Quote:
Go ahead. It your veiw and your free speach that others in Europe want to protect. It won't effect me though, because my family comes from Turkmenistan while we currently live in Turkey and plus, Turkmenistan sends in Gas and oil to Europe rather than the other way around. So go boycott me and Turkish people if you wish. Just don't expect the Russians and other in Eastern Europe to like you.

Like I said, there are always concequences to ones action. Your action would be in this case non-existant while Turkmenistan's action would have greater concequences for Europe.

Also England import and exports nothing to Turkmenistan, everything is either Russian or Irani. So you boycotting us would be funny. Boycott Turkey if you so wish, I just move back or to Iran anyway, we have family in most middle eastern countries anyway.
Wow, you miss more points than Sunderland, don't you?

Old 2006-02-04, 07:44 PM   #56
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Denyer, I haven't been arguing for violence anyway, just economic presure. After all it is a more peacful route than terrorists activities.
And the point I was trying to make (as if you're going to pick up on it the 501st try) was that economic pressure is fine, as long as it's directed at the right people. Boycotting a dairy, where I'm sure at least 99.9% of the workers had absolutely nothing to do with the cartoons in question, is going to accomplish nothing more than putting a lot of innocent people out on the street.

Old 2006-02-04, 07:55 PM   #57
CloudStrifer
Banned

Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by fort_max
And the point I was trying to make (as if you're going to pick up on it the 501st try) was that economic pressure is fine, as long as it's directed at the right people. Boycotting a dairy, where I'm sure at least 99.9% of the workers had absolutely nothing to do with the cartoons in question, is going to accomplish nothing more than putting a lot of innocent people out on the street.
Well thats backlash. Sure it isn't whats wanted, but thats what happens. The country, if it wants to continue using free speach should realise that these type of newspapers will bring these type of reactions and have to handle it themselves that are even outside the frame. They don't even read the newspaper so the next big target is Denmark itself, which is a vaild target.

@CJ: The short answer is Yes its a fair play. Lots on people don't like [insert country] and refuse to buy thier products, ala some mom and pop stores in the US stop stocking Chinese goods. Its thier right to free speach.

I don't even know why I am defending this view. After all I stated before it doesn't effect me what the Danish Newspaper said. Their country, I am sorry to say this, doesn't interest me a bit. Maybe we can get an Arabic veiw on this since they are the major part who is more interested than anyone else.

Old 2006-02-04, 08:00 PM   #58
Aardvark

Wales? O___o

http://www.kavkazcenter.com/eng/cont.../31/4402.shtml
Quote:
The dairy company, Arla Foods, has halted all exports to the Middle East and is considering laying off employees as it is losing around 1.3 million euros a day in lost sales.
Just to try and drill this into your head the cartoons can't hurt people but this so called "Peaceful" route can

As mentioned before by Bodycount, Arabic cartoons aren't sqeeky clean. But hey thats "Different", come on Catholics, unite against Channel 4 for showing father Ted, show the world what your made of.

-Alex???
Old 2006-02-04, 08:05 PM   #59
CloudStrifer
Banned

Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
http://www.kavkazcenter.com/eng/cont.../31/4402.shtml

Just to try and drill this into your head the cartoons can't hurt people but this so called "Peaceful" route can

As mentioned before by Bodycount, Arabic cartoons aren't sqeeky clean. But hey thats "Different", come on Catholics, unite against Channel 4 for showing father Ted, show the world what your made of.
So? Have I even tried to explain that Arabic cartoons where good in anyway? No I haven't. Those cartoons are ignored by the world because its thier right of free speach just like its the right of the Danish newspaper to print those cartoons.

Would you rather have a terrorist attack on Denmark than this route? I would have to chose the economic route. After all its shows that those countries who felt insulted, excerised thier right to free speach but boycotting danish goods.

Maybe try to get in in your head that this is by far the most peaceful route that they can do and shows that they are excerising free speach. Or does only free speach count for only some people and not others?

Old 2006-02-04, 08:16 PM   #60
Aardvark

Wales? O___o

Well tell me how a terrorist attack is worse than a protest or blowing up a country or recording a protest album. You can't measure good and evil, it's an opinion Stalin had his opinions as did Gandi. (Edit:In my opinion I think this is one of the all time biggest overreactions, with no justification...)

No I would not rather a terrorist attack, I would rather religion didn't cause so much death and destruction and could only be talked about in private, even though I believe in some sort of a God. But I'm not saying it should as that would infringe on your right to free speech just as forcing the protesters to buy their dairy products would, I'm just moraly objected to it.

Edit:
Quote:

Maybe try to get in in your head that this is by far the most peaceful route that they can do ?
You can darken the word “your” all you like but I really think it’s laughable

Director's commentary: Ignore everything I say in this thread. Well actually ignore pretty much everyone in this thread. Interesting that this was during the period when I believed in some sort of higher being thingamajig. Not in the traditional sense tho. No it wasn't Bryan Ferry.

-Alex???

Last edited by Aardvark; 2008-09-16 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Bored/sick/nothing else to do/tired/can't sleep clown will eat me
Closed Thread