Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > General Discussion

Old 2006-09-15, 09:54 PM   #501
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
No, mine's just leftie pro-Cartmel propaganda, apparently. I'm still trying to work out if that was genuine hatemail, or just someone I know winding me up...
It was probably Eric Saward.

I can't decide if Horror of Glam Rock is the greatest who title ever of the daftest.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 10:07 PM   #503
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Lightbulb

And all three would be Bendy Padbury's...

Old 2006-10-17, 04:35 PM   #504
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

As those of you who've seen the Radio Times will know Torchwood starts next week- BBC3 broadcast on Suday, BBC2 broadcast on Wendsday. I'm sure it'll get a devoted thread close to the time but you can all set your VCR now (and oddly I watched an episode of BUGS today with the Doctor Woman from Aliens of London who's back in Torchwood in it).

Random question: Will the next Who run (starting with Runaway Bride get its own thread, or will we make this one even bigger and more bloated?

Old 2006-10-17, 04:53 PM   #505
Jetfire
Danny Cipriani > You

Hard traveling hero.

I think a new thread is needed. One per series sounds ideal.

Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 01:56 PM   #506
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Talking

In that case could I humbly suggest that when this thread is retired it be sent to the Junkion files? Partly because of the excellent, if rambling coversations within, but mainly-soley from an egto point of view- this'll probably be the longest thread I ever start. It deserves a blue plaque on the door for that.

Old 2006-10-20, 03:50 PM   #507
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Where do the Christmas episodes fit?

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 05:15 PM   #508
Jetfire
Danny Cipriani > You

Hard traveling hero.

I think the next Crimbo Episode will be part of the next series as there seems to be some finality to the "Piper era". The "Runaway bride" seems to start something new.

Old 2006-10-20, 07:11 PM   #509
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Plus TRB is being filmed as part of the next season. Though hopefully they'll have put a few extra weeks on the filming schedule this time so they don't have to do another Love and Monsters...

Old 2006-10-20, 07:36 PM   #510
Jetfire
Danny Cipriani > You

Hard traveling hero.

Quote:
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
another Love and Monsters...
*Shudders*

Old 2006-10-20, 07:39 PM   #511
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

The irony is, after decades of "low ratings" being used as an excuse for not doing the historical stories, the low rating of The Impossible Pit are now being used as an excuse to do less overtly Sci-Fi stories and more L&M style ones...

Old 2006-10-20, 07:47 PM   #512
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Maybe they'll learn their lesson and shoehorn a talentless, egotistical Northern ****-stain into the next sci-fi script. You know, like they did for all the 9th Doctor episodes.

Come on, we can all admit it now. There's a new one, and RTD isn't prowling the internet with the loitering threat of pulling the programme if people say negative things about it. Eccleston was a piss-poor Doctor. C'mon, say it with me.

Still better than Jon Pertwee, though. But then, who wouldn't be?

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 07:52 PM   #513
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Still better than Jon Pertwee, though. But then, who wouldn't be?
Peter Cushing? Jon Culshaw? John Scot Martin?

I think Tennant's got the advantage of being more obviously "Doctorish" than Eccleston was it's easier to accept him in the role.

Old 2006-10-20, 08:01 PM   #514
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Quote:
Peter Cushing? Jon Culshaw? John Scot Martin?
Culshaw probably could if someone wrote him decent material. Cushing comes off better with worse material - he's not such a smug, smackable bastard. He's also more subtle than Eccleston in a sixties kids film. Not to mention the job an actor of his calibre could have done if given the TV role...

Quote:

I think Tennant's got the advantage of being more obviously "Doctorish" than Eccleston was it's easier to accept him in the role.
And he can, y'know, act. Always handy, that.

Old 2006-10-20, 08:07 PM   #515
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Culshaw probably could if someone wrote him decent material.

He actually has "officially" played the fourth Doctor now ina BF audio.

Quote:
Cushing comes off better with worse material - he's not such a smug, smackable bastard. He's also more subtle than Eccleston in a sixties kids film. Not to mention the job an actor of his calibre could have done if given the TV role...

It's strange really, it's a role he should have been born to play but his Doctor is very slapable. Bernard Cribins is the best thing in those two movies.

Still, we agree about John Scot Martin then?

Quote:
And he can, y'know, act. Always handy, that.
He's bloodyawfull as Trigger's son in Harry Potter though.

Old 2006-10-20, 08:15 PM   #516
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Yeh, but put Cushing in, say, "The Massacre" or "The Power of the Daleks" instead of "Let's really dumb down a pair of Terry Nation scripts that were pretty thick anyway". Even in the films, he's not as much of a c*nt as Pertwee. Or did I miss the bit where the Daleks kill scores of people, and he turns to the camera and goes "I think this is going to be jolly good fun"...?

Was Culshaw's material any good? Because Richard E. Grant was officially cast in an audio and etc, etc. and so on.

John Scott Martin can out-act Pertwee from inside a casing. I reckon he would have made a better Doctor.

Old 2006-10-20, 08:23 PM   #517
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Yeh, but put Cushing in, say, "The Massacre" or "The Power of the Daleks" instead of "Let's really dumb down a pair of Terry Nation scripts that were pretty thick anyway". Even in the films, he's not as much of a c*nt as Pertwee. Or did I miss the bit where the Daleks kill scores of people, and he turns to the camera and goes "I think this is going to be jolly good fun"...?

The Dalek films and Star Wars are all I really know Cushing from (though I do have a few Hammer/Amicus films about somewhere), which works really give him a chance to show his stuff?

Quote:
Was Culshaw's material any good? Because Richard E. Grant was officially cast in an audio and etc, etc. and so on.

SPOILER! (select to read)
It's a little jokey thing in The Kingmaker. The 5th Doctor has to consult some taped notes he made on the Princes in the Tower for his book Doctor Who Discovers Historical Mysteries whilst in his TomDoc incarnation. Exactly why he's writing a book with such a tittle would take yo long to explain...

Quote:
John Scott Martin can out-act Pertwee from inside a casing. I reckon he would have made a better Doctor.
His hair you mean, surely?

Old 2006-10-20, 10:36 PM   #518
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Dunno, neither know nor care what he looks like

Cushing... early Hammer Frankstein (Curse/Revenge/Evil) or Dracula (s/t, Brides), The Mummy, Hound of the Baskervilles, Sword of Sherwood Forest, Horror Express, The Ghoul - all good places to start, lots of Who roots on show there as well (sod the Universal film, the Hammer Mummy is where Hinchcliffe and Holmes got the bare bones of Pyramids from, while The Ghoul is basically Black Orchid with John Hurt).

Old 2006-10-21, 09:33 AM   #519
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.

Quote:
The irony is, after decades of "low ratings" being used as an excuse for not doing the historical stories, the low rating of The Impossible Pit are now being used as an excuse to do less overtly Sci-Fi stories and more L&M style ones...
I've never understood thank thinking.

"Nobody watched this episode - it must be because it was poor"

If nobody watched it, how could they think it was poor? More likely that people didn't watch it because the previous episode was ****ing abysmal.

... what was the previous episode? I'm trying to think here... oh, I know this... don't tell me...

****s.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 02:35 PM   #520
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Dunno, neither know nor care what he looks like
He looks like a guy who spenty one decade to many locked in a small metal box.

The BBC Cushing Holmes show is something that's been on my DVD list for a while. Though I've never seen much appeal in any version of Hound (Holmes eddectively being reduced to a cameo at the start and end because Doyle was sick of him at that point). Now I think of this Cushing and Vincent Price are wonderfully hammy in a 70's Robert Holmes BBC Radio horror thing I've got somewhere...

Quote:
I've never understood thank thinking.

"Nobody watched this episode - it must be because it was poor"
The logic is that people see the trailer/read the Radio Times and think "I don't like that sort of outer space Star Treky stuff" and don't watch it. Nothing to do with the actual quality of the show...