Old 2006-10-04, 07:56 PM   #21
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
How far is this from the actual issue?

http://community.livejournal.com/sca...57.html#cutid1
I doubt the real thing's anywhere near that interesting.

I see they've stopped calling him Black Goliath now... That's mildy amusing, though I'm mildy surprised he hasn't died in some over-hyped "event" before...

EDIT:

It's funnier when characters throughout the issue say things like "So, Black Goliath, can you help us with this?" or "Black Goliath is changing size!". I mean, surely if they have to label the chap, they can call him "Goliath" to his face when Hank Pym's not in the same building on a Wednesday (I think it's a wednesday... what, Ant-Man on Mondays, Giant-Man on Tuesdays, Goliath on Wednesdays, Yellowjacket on Thursdays, plain old Dr. Pym (you know, where he's meant to be an ordinary bloke, but happens to be the biggest plot device in the history of comics, able to carry things like miniaturised Quinjets/Avengers/Nuclear Arsenals in his pocket) on Fridays and has the weekends off).

Last edited by Cliffjumper; 2006-10-04 at 08:40 PM.
Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 08:12 PM   #22
Jetfire
Danny Cipriani > You

Hard traveling hero.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
I doubt the real thing's anywhere near that interesting.

I see they've stopped calling him Black Goliath now... That's mildy amusing, though I'm mildy surprised he hasn't died in some over-hyped "event" before...
Because they have had loads of other "nothing" characters and Jean Grey to do the "this event will kill off a "major" character so buy 10 of each issue because they will be worth 1000 in 2 weeks time" before.

Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-15, 09:33 PM   #23
Bingo1

Scotland/London

Number #5 is not very good. Someone shows up, bit of dramatic posturing, violence, 2 minute read.

Bingo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-15, 11:00 PM   #24
Clogs
has retired, boo-yah!

Leicester, in the Heart of England

Decided not to pursue this story-line. Will wait for the TPB. Less hassle and more dosh in the pocket.

Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-16, 03:28 AM   #25
Zisteau
smoldering red eyeballs

Italy until December

Yeah I find Millar's ham fisted political overtones to become quickly tiring.

Zisteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 03:35 AM   #26
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

More rewrites...

http://mightygodking.livejournal.com/281748.html#cutid1

Jen-Jen gots the mad bling.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 01:27 AM   #27
markmilton

What are you people talking about? I'm really getting into this story already! I, for one, was shocked to see the Punisher pull Spider-Man's fat out of the fire (especially since these two don't always see eye to eye).

Speaking of which, it's nice to see the web-head back in the old togs again. The Iron Spidey suit was okay, but I wouldn't want it to be a long standing one. NOTHING beats the tried-and-true red-and-blues.

markmilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 07:58 PM   #28
Jetfire
Danny Cipriani > You

Hard traveling hero.

Quote:
Originally posted by markmilton
What are you people talking about? I'm really getting into this story already! I, for one, was shocked to see the Punisher pull Spider-Man's fat out of the fire (since these two don't always see eye to eye).

Speaking of which, it's nice to see the web-head back in the old togs again. The Iron Spidey suit was okay, but I wouldn't want it to be a long standing one. NOTHING beats the tried-and-true red-and-blues.
That my point exactly. It's all just shocks under [Adopts Cliffy's sarky tone] Edgy to be edgy's sake[/Cliffy].
There is no enjoyment beyond a bunch of attention grabbing shocks to boost profits.

It might amused those of a lesser mind but some of us don't want age old characters that we love make suddenly fly in the face of continunity and be convinced by a character he's hardly even spoken about previously to the couple of months of stories before to give up his biggest secret after years of reasoning it would be dangerous to his Wife and the women he see's as a mother. Makes a lot of sense that does.

Almost as bad is Peter taking Stark's side of Cap's after Cap being his hero since childhood and the number of times Spidey has been on the X-men side. On another note the X-men's "Neutral" stance after long opposing the mutant registration act is equally full of bulls##t. Or the fact Richards would make a Thor clone that would happily kill hero's just due his political beliefs, again completely against the entire history of his character.

Well written, logical and character driven this is not.
To be fair to Miller, he may be a stunt driven writer most of this bulls##t seems to be fostered on him by Joey Q.

Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 08:25 PM   #29
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally posted by markmilton
What are you people talking about? I'm really getting into this story already!
I'm not sure there is a story, beyond making Stark and Richards act out of character, Marvel holding back from killing any characters who pay the bills, etc.

On the other hand, this is pretty much the first "realistic consequence" arc Marvel has attempted in 616, particularly after the whole "we broke our reality because we felt like it" thing in House of M. It's got people back into cape books who would never have picked up and read things such as StormWatch.

Personally I'm finding it entertaining as a bystander, but if I want Marvel I'll stick with volume one of The Ultimates. The only current cape books I'm picking up are Invincible and Planetary. (Might get Bomb Queen and Union Jack in TPB form.) The WildStorm relaunch seems to have already gone off the boil. Which is a shame.

As a general thing, far more of the comics people bother writing about at length on the web seem to come from DC. They seem to have captured a more literate demographic.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 08:39 PM   #30
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer

Personally I'm finding it entertaining as a bystander, but if I want Marvel I'll stick with volume one of The Ultimates. The only current cape books I'm picking up are Invincible and Planetary. (Might get Bomb Queen and Union Jack in TPB form.) The WildStorm relaunch seems to have already gone off the boil. Which is a shame.
Like the last 25? WildStorm need to admit The Authority is a dead concept (I see it as a 12-part maxi series followed by an ongoing, with the ongoing getting worse by the arc because it was never built to run).

Aside from the Planetary wrap-up issue and the last Millar Ultimates, Union Jack and Wisdom are about the only new comics I'm remotely interested in, and I'm approaching Wisdom with caution seeing as the character has no doubt been bum-raped in the interim (they let Chris cocking Claremont write for him... I mean, what next, they let him have The Fury?), hoping that the MAX imprint gives a bit of fluidity.

But yeh, Quesada's willingness to **** with MU characters simply for a shock-driven storyline has long left me cold, and the whole concept's really just a walking corpse by now. So then all the EDGY hip DC writers he's signed to change characters for no good reason can start their work on the Ultimate universe. This is why I spend my comics money on Lion annuals and tattered old Captain Britain comics...

Old 2006-11-27, 09:07 PM   #31
Dead Man Wade
Next-Generation Spambot

Funny location

Quote:
Originally posted by Jetfire
It might amused those of a lesser mind
Wow. That sounded mildly pompous.

Anyway, yes. Civil War is a horrid little cash grab by a company that's still reeling from a ten-year-old bankruptcy. But it's not all bad.

The take on Reed's pragmatic motivation has been pretty much dead-on. She-Hulk's one-off tie-in was sturdy, and Frontline's done a really good job of keeping the entire thing grounded in something resembling reality. Also, the storyline in Wolverine is one of the best things they've done with the character for several years.

I'm holding off on full judgement until the entire thing's played out. Clor was sort of pointless, and they seem to be going out of their way to make you despise Stark, but there may be some decent resolution.

That said, what I'm really looking forward to is the Illuminati mini-series.

Dead Man Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 09:11 PM   #32
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Maybe teen Tony Stark is lurking in the wings?

Old 2006-11-27, 09:17 PM   #33
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Talking

Lurking? I think you mean drinking.

Quote:
the last Millar Ultimates [...] the only new comics I'm remotely interested in
How the hell have they commissioned through Ultimates 5 when nobody in their right mind is going to buy anything written by Jeph Loeb?

Part of the reason The Ultimates works so well is because Mark Millar's spent his entire career refining the formula. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd spent a month trying to script the first arc of Ultimate Fantastic Four as a retread of The Authority.

Apparantly the new Wisdom comic is quite good if you ignore the fact that they've missed the point of the character.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 09:21 PM   #34
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Oh joy. Still, at least I've only put down for #1 so far.

To be honest, Ellis is the only person who's ever been able to write the character (insert generic "Wasn't Ben Raab sh!t apart from that freakishly good Union Jack mini?" diatribe here), so I'm not expecting much anyway.

Last edited by Cliffjumper; 2006-11-27 at 09:23 PM.
Old 2006-11-27, 09:35 PM   #35
Halfshell

Smile

http://www.thexaxis.com/minis/wisdom1.htm

Spoiler lite review type thing, if you're bothered. Only thing I've really read on it.

Old 2006-11-27, 09:39 PM   #36
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Talking

That actually sounds awesome - I have no problem with a bit of a character change if it's done well, and not, say, because fanboys want Kitty open for Piotr (R-A-A-B! C-U-N-T! R-A-A-B! C-U-N-T! R-A-A-B! C-U-N-T!), or because Chris Claremont just doesn't have a ****ing clue. And if it's distanced from the oxymoron of Marvel continuity, well, it means I won't have to consider buying any other Marvel books, like Sales War or House of Promo. The bomb.

And I thought he was suave anyway

Old 2006-11-27, 10:08 PM   #37
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dead Man Wade
and Frontline's done a really good job of keeping the entire thing grounded in something resembling reality. Also, the storyline in Wolverine is one of the best things they've done with the character for several years.
I'm actually really enjoying Frontline, much more than Civil War. X-Factor's part was reasonably good and Wolverine had some interesting stuff though I thought was only ok. It was typical Wolverine edgey stuff but done well enough. Amazing Spider-Man is really good, though I really don't care for Garney's art.

That's all the Civil War stuff I've read.

I'm not really impressed with it. It's certainly not as shocking and groundbreaking as they're telling us it is. I did say that Stark was going to be the bad guy though. I think now if he turns out to be some clone or something and it turns out that there's no real consequence for Stark turning into a fascist I'll be really disappointed.

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 10:13 PM   #38
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Is it just me, or is Mark Millar totally incapable of springing a surprise, though? I mean, I know he's done lots of different stuff, but whenever he comes up with some never-done-before plot turn, you're always kind of expecting it because he'll do absolutely anything in a book. It's kinda like watching Alias - after series 1, you couldn't tell someone with any sort of certainty than Vaughn isn't really Vaughn, but the whole thing's so dependant on 180-degree plot turns you aren't remotely surprised when it turns out he isn't. It sort of numbs you (which is why I don't mind The Ultimates too much, it isn't really as driven by revelations). You can't predict him, but he can't surprise you.

Old 2006-11-27, 10:20 PM   #39
Halfshell

Smile

Tangent: That's the thing I absolutely love about Alias. It's just so damn compellingly ludicrous. It's worth watching just to see what they're going to do next... it also helps develop a much greater appreciation for stories that actually bother addressing the plot...

Old 2006-11-27, 10:41 PM   #40
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
It sort of numbs you (which is why I don't mind The Ultimates too much, it isn't really as driven by revelations).
That's why I think Ultimates is one of the few comics he writes well. It's not about the shocks.

SPOILER! (select to read)
I mean, even though Natasha betraying Stark is a bit shocking it's not about her turning out to be a bad guy, it's about Tony still being so much smarter and just better and kicking her ass anyway.

Inventive ways for the good guys to win. That's what usually hooks me to a comic story. Pushing the envelope as to what these super people can do. Thinking of ways to use the powers that no writer has really thought of before. Wrap that up in a good plot and I'm hooked.

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote