• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2006-06-30, 08:21 AM   #21
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Red face

But a sensible one, nonetheless.

I love the way Mars looks... well, to be blunt... not particularly Marsy. Could be comedy gold!

I've no problem with the real world references. It's not like anybody died when the Mars Rover went missing.

Giant CGI robots fighting! Big explosions! Michael Bay!

Anybody expecting The Godfather Part II, feel free to leave now...

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 01:30 PM   #22
DrEvil
[L.Lawliet]

Glasgow

I'm not too happy with the trailer. It just doesn't seem to appeal to me. Sure it still has a year to go but it delivered pretty much nothing in my opinion.

Where was it confirmed that the robot seen in the trailer was in fact Megatron?

Also, the Autobot symbol seems to look a little meaner, with the addition of what looks like horned edges on the symbol.

Looks allright, just nothing special at this moment. Reminds me of War of the Worlds. Looked allright, just nothing special.

DrEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 01:36 PM   #23
Ravage
Primus

In the depths of blackest Hell. Or just Vermont

Here's my take.

I liked it, will I enjoy the movie I hope so. But I thought it was just enough to get interest be it good or bad.

I figure Megs *watch it frame by frame the head looks alot like old Megs and he has the arm cannon* or I will say it looked a lot like Megs was probably an early model. I hope that they will add more of a metal skin to the Transformers than the Bionicle. But then again the more mechish feel I got from that early Megs shot could be great too. I will wait to see more.

Either way it got my interest and I think thats the important part.

The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Ravage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 02:03 PM   #24
trilobitepictures
Dinobot

In a house. With walls even. I'M NORMAL!

Just to split hairs for a moment...
This is a TEASER, not a TRAILER.

Teasers, well, tease. They have little or nothing to do with the movie itself other than to just let you know that the movie is going to exist. Sometimes they're absolutely outstanding. The JURASSIC PARK and (really dating myself here) BACK TO THE FUTURE teasers were bloody entertaining in and of themselves and didn't show a single frame from the finished film. But most of the time (edit: but not always), they're forgetable and consist of words on screen (check), and shots that probably will not be in the movie itself because 90+% of the movie isn't shot yet (check).

The trailer (which comes at the head of the movie, go figure) will have footage we can step through frame-by-frame and analyze until we puke. And I doubt that we'll get a good look at the designs then, either. At least not in the first few trailers. (Dollars-to-doughnuts they get Peter Cullen to narrate the damned thing.)

Hair splitting over. I like corn.

"It goes 'bing' when there's stuff."

Last edited by trilobitepictures; 2006-06-30 at 02:23 PM.
trilobitepictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 02:14 PM   #25
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.

Quote:
Originally posted by trilobitepictures
They have little or nothing to do with the movie itself other than to just let you know that the movie is going to exist.
He speaks the truth!

And uses reason!

Burn him!!!!!!!!

Didn't the original Alien 3 teaser basically consist of "OMG they're coming to Earth!!!!"

The footage we've just seen probably won't even be in the finished product.

Although if the same is true of the Spidey 3 teaser, I may just cry.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 02:43 PM   #26
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

Well, unless they're ready to overhaul their character designs with little over a year before the movie comes out, then it seems most of the complaints over the teaser can stand even without footage from the movie.

Sir Auros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 03:10 PM   #27
Kyo28

Correct me if I'm wrong and maybe this sounds a bit noobish, but this trailer suggests that the story will not follow the original G1 story, where the Autobots and Decepticons crashed on earth (a random planet) 4 million years ago.

This trailer suggests they purposely chose earth, and are coming here in the present, not 4 million years ago, and probably won't crash land.

So in a way, this teaser had quite an impact on me.

Kyo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 03:20 PM   #28
trilobitepictures
Dinobot

In a house. With walls even. I'M NORMAL!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Auros
Well, unless they're ready to overhaul their character designs with little over a year before the movie comes out, then it seems most of the complaints over the teaser can stand even without footage from the movie.
Just playing Devil's Advocate™, it's happened before. A sizeable chunk of KING KONG was finished when Peter Jackson and the Weta guys decided to re-design, re-model, and re-render Kong.

Now, do I honestly think that they'll go back and make major changes to the look of 10 (?) detailed CGI characters some time in the next year? Oh, absolutely not. We have better chance of seeing a Superman/Spider-man/Godzilla/Star Trek team-up movie.

"It goes 'bing' when there's stuff."

trilobitepictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 03:29 PM   #29
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyo28
Correct me if I'm wrong and maybe this sounds a bit noobish, but this trailer suggests that the story will not follow the original G1 story, where the Autobots and Decepticons crashed on earth (a random planet) 4 million years ago.

This trailer suggests they purposely chose earth, and are coming here in the present, not 4 million years ago, and probably won't crash land.
This has been confirmed by Don Murphy before.

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 04:57 PM   #30
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Red face

My mom is going to be so pissed at them using the Beagle probe... Run Bay run!

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 05:18 PM   #31
Lord Zarak
Look left...no, the other left

Sale.

As with Ravage, it has my interest.

The bot in question seemed a bit bare...so the tease for me at least, will be how the TF's look fully clothed (for want of a better term).

Lord Zarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 05:59 PM   #32
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

That thing's ****ing GAY. Where's the cheap animation? Where's Starscream going "I will kill you and lead the Decepticons one day, Megatron!". Where's the line that surely is the essence of Transformers, "Decepticons, retreat!". Where are the totally bland characters who only have any personality due to the wild extrapolation of fans? WHERE ARE THE ROBOTS WITH TITS?

Oh, wait, sorry, it's still downloading. I was looking at a picture of Chris Coleman. Boys done well/litte club by the river/middle table finish and a cup run etc.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 06:27 PM   #33
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Yeah, Cliffy, 'cause everyone here's just been going off on that... or, not, and you're projecting your hatred of all things G1 onto the rest of us.

Feh.

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 06:33 PM   #34
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Quote:
Originally posted by TFVanguard
you're projecting your hatred of all things G1 onto the rest of us.
G1 is not just a tacky old cartoon.

|G1 Transformers Comics|G1 Transformers Toys|

Am I going to this every single time, or is there a chance you're going to stop talking utter bollocks at any point? I mean, like you I don't mind plugging stuff I've done, but as you seem to be the only board member dim enough to think I hate "G1" (and Cyberstrike grasps this. Cyberstrike.), it's something I may have to do. Unless you can offer a dazzling explanation of how "thinking the original cartoon was a bit poor and shouldn't form the basis of a 21st century film" equates to "hatred of all things G1"? Up to it? Yeh, thought not.

Old 2006-06-30, 06:38 PM   #35
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper

|G1 Transformers Comics
That would be the comic guide that made you completely and utterly sick of the sight of TF comics after you'd finished it then? Still leaves the toys I suppose...

Old 2006-06-30, 06:40 PM   #36
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
That would be the comic guide that made you completely and utterly sick of the sight of TF comics after you'd finished it then? Still leaves the toys I suppose...
I can still enjoy most of it, actually... It put me off for a little while as too much of anything will, but I still tend to have a few issues in my reading pile. I have "Man of Iron" in the loo. WOOO!

On-topic, any non-Quicktime sources? =(

Old 2006-06-30, 06:47 PM   #37
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
I have "Man of Iron" in the loo. WOOO!
could you flush it down to Titan?

And have you tried youtube?

Old 2006-06-30, 07:01 PM   #38
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

I'd suggest using this rather than Quicktime player...

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

Quote:
That thing's ****ing GAY. Where's the [snip]
Note to any new members just joining us: Cliffy is being sarcastic, not homophobic. Think l33t p4r0dy 5p33k.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyo28
Yup. An idea seen earlier this year in the new comics.

SPOILER! (select to read)
It's been suggested that the reason they're turning up is to recover an item that was lost on Earth -- probably whatever the filmmakers are calling the matrix in this continuity.

Quote:
Originally posted by TFVanguard
projecting your hatred of all things G1
Explain how that works? My main interest in all things TF is the first two years of toys, the first movie, half a dozen episodes and a selection of comics. Plus reinventions in the form of binalts. I've the same reservations about rehashing in new media.

I'd like the robot modes to look less like Johnny Five or the T2, though. Whoever that is, it doesn't look as if they transform.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 07:06 PM   #39
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer

I'd like the robot modes to look less like Johnny Five or the T2, though. Whoever that is, it doesn't look as if they transform.
I take it you mean the Arnie version Terminator rather than the new Robert Patrick version in T2 (who didn't have a funky exoskeleton because he was made of LIQUID METAL! The most exciting thing ever at the time and probably what most people think of when you say T2...)

Old 2006-06-30, 07:33 PM   #40
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer

Explain how that works? My main interest in all things TF is the first two years of toys, the first movie, half a dozen episodes and a selection of comics. Plus reinventions in the form of binalts. I've the same reservations about rehashing in new media.
I'd be curious to see where this "not Transformers" stuff comes from... surely it's as much Transformers as Robots in Disguise, or even Infiltration... Some elements held on to, ranging from characters to archetypes to broad set-ups, large amounts of pre-existing mythos dumped or subverted, a new look, a new continuity, a new/different reason for Transformers being on Earth... I'm failing to grasp why this is different to any of the other new continuities we've seen of late.

Turns out Sar's computer has Quicktime. Have to do something about that... I quite liked the teaser, to be honest. Whether it's going to be genuinely good or just Independance Day style mindless fun, or maybe even a complete turkey, I still don't know. I can actually live with more skeletal robots, as long as they don't go too far - as I said in the Bumblebee thread, I'm not sure how well TFU character models would work in live action. Ideally for me, they'd look like Alternators, but I don't see how we can judge the robot designs until we see them in action, moving and transforming. Mind, I don't see how we can judge the movie a year before it's out, so maybe I'm just brain-damaged or something.