• transformers live-action movies
  • transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2006-07-19, 04:16 PM   #21
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Or better still, "Target 2006" in Generations - it could be marketed as a tie-in as it revolves around the events, and an awful lot of American fans probably still haven't read it. $1.99 chunks would make it a lot more palatable.

That said, I'd have done Generations as mainly UK material for those commercial reasons from the start.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 04:34 PM   #22
Osku
One with the Matrix

Finland

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Or better still, "Target 2006" in Generations - it could be marketed as a tie-in as it revolves around the events, and an awful lot of American fans probably still haven't read it. $1.99 chunks would make it a lot more palatable.
I would buy redrawn and slightly compressed Target : 2006 for sure.

Osku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 04:36 PM   #23
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
That said, I'd have done Generations as mainly UK material for those commercial reasons from the start.
But then you (nor I) wouldn't have done this Movie thing in the first place either...

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 05:59 PM   #24
Prime Maximus

Some of yall seem turned away from this idea...

We are getting a movie adaptation drawn by Don..isn't that enought?

If they do a few re-writes here and there, fix a few loop holes and plot holes and whatever holes...that enough is worth my chips for sure.

Prime Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 06:04 PM   #25
Ford DeceptiFocus

Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
Given that it particularly suits a trade paperback format, I hope this doesn't run with previews for other comics / letters in the back. Sketches and/or interview material would be much more appropriate.
Agreed. As much as I dig the new IDW stuff, after MONTHS and MONTHS of seeing previews for Stormbringer, I just wanted the thing over with already so I could see a new preview. I really wish they would just eliminate previews and give us more pages of story, or something extra like that.

Previews/What's Next should really be contained to a page or two.

Ford DeceptiFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 06:10 PM   #26
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Quote:
Originally posted by Prime Maximus
S
We are getting a movie adaptation drawn by Don..isn't that enought?
Oooh yeh, Don's sooo dreamy ^_^

He drew most of it in the DW material for starters.

Would some sort of new story be such an unreasonable thing to ask?

Old 2006-07-19, 06:18 PM   #27
Ford DeceptiFocus

Los Angeles, CA

Quote:

Ok you have no idea how funny it is that you used the word "dreamy". My friends and I in Los Angeles have been using that word a LOT lately as a running joke--"So and so is sooooooooo dreamy". Our homage to the 1950's. It's sort of taken on a snarky life of its own. *grin*

Ford DeceptiFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 08:09 PM   #28
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:

I'm also hoping for a fresh Bob story to follow, but I think it's a sound decision to put this series out first:

* Fitting in with release of collector's ed. of film, which in turn is playing on the new one and will contain material tying into it.

* It's been a while since BB wrote TFs, and this is a fairly straightforward project that gets his name out there again whilst having a bigger audience to say it to. Those people are then more likely to speculate on an original story if/when it appears.

Quote:
eliminate previews and give us more pages of story
It wouldn't get us any extra story pages -- that's a standard industry ratio. And some of the space made would probably have to go over to outside ads, but letters pages and "next issue" bits are kinda redundant in a showcase product. Those could reasonably go in favour of ancillary material -- sketches, notes, etc.

The best situation for publishers is to avoid trade paperbacks that are a) notably cheaper than a set of individual issues, and b) including more than token "bonus" material, which pisses off those who've been loyal/bothered enough to pick up a story as singles.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 08:19 PM   #29
Aardvark

Wales? O___o
Wink

Quote:

But it's Don "Midas" Figueroa.

No matter how much I like Donís work, his name being attached to the title doesn't justify the premise nor does it justify the content.

On a similar note it's hard to shrug off the feeling that they only drafted Bobcat in for his name. The project does come across as an OTT and furthermore blatant cash-in. Most fans have a soft spot for the movie. Don is the cat's meow of Transformers artwork. Add the "father" of transformers not to mention the release of the special edition DVD and "Howdy partner we struck gold!"

Quote:
Would some sort of new story be such an unreasonable thing to ask?
As Denyer said it does allow Bob to get into the swing of Transformers and hopefully he'll continue working for IDW. (Providing he's good at it of coarse) He doesn't seem to have a superb recollection of transformers (Well that's what the "Boat people interview would suggest) so perhaps working off the movieís plot/characters might will supplement this and even enhance his writing.

Incidentally the aforementioned interview prompted me to make this {Only Planetary fans will get this};

Last edited by Aardvark; 2006-07-19 at 08:27 PM.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 08:27 PM   #30
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Nah, I think this is going to be too much of a hard to do with any real point project... Most people interested in the film to buy a new adaptation will know a lot of the unfilmed sequences, and some basically treat them as cannon... It's going to feel a bit "Magnus inside the armour" - it might not have been "canonised" before, but everyone's already had those ideas... It's not going to be enough of a story for the BB fans, and it's going to be messing with the precious movie for the rest...

I'm also a bit "m'eh" about someone redrawing it... not because I consider the '86 film sacrosanct (wow, spelt that wrong, probably should have gone with "sacred", yeh?), but because it was fairly well rendered, and it seems a bit pointless basically going over it again and doing it ever so slightly better (Don's work shows he's a bit of a fanboy, TBH, so we'll probably get tweaked character models and not a lot more - I can see the blocking of most scenes being practically identical) when it's not the problem with the film - that would be the plot, dialogue, much of the characterisation and the total lack of soul for much of the running time, and we're back to damned if you do, damned if you don't territory.

It also feels a bit eHobby, in that we're basically going to have a pile of anoraky answers to bull**** questions that nobody really cares about any more tacked onto a redux something 20 years old that didn't need to happen.

It's fannish, but I'd prefer for a tie-in some brand new material set just before the film, directly setting up a lot of it. That would work a lot better than a tired old adaptation, and I think would interest a larger amount of readers, as long as they didn't just basically use it as an excuse to detail all the sad rubbish like where half the Season 2 cast are and so on - I mean, it could do that, but it'd have to be part of a plot.

Something to complement the movie rather than retread it.

Something which there'd be some sort of point to, y'know?

Old 2006-07-19, 09:28 PM   #31
Clogs
has retired, boo-yah!

Leicester, in the Heart of England
Smile

Give it a chance, you lot! OK, I agree that it would have been nice to have something done around 'Target 2006', but that's coming from us fans. Any new adaptation will be preparing the ground for the upcoming TF movie and be aimed at getting more people interested, which leads me to summise that, against all odds, we're in for a more 'grown-up' rendering of the original.

By the way, Cliffy, I eat dictionaries and I'm impressed. You spelt 'sacrosanct' perfectly and used the word in its correct definition.

Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 09:31 PM   #32
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Clogs
By the way, Cliffy, I eat dictionaries and I'm impressed. You spelt 'sacrosanct' perfectly and used the word in its correct definition.
Context, not definition.

Way to undermine yourself...

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 09:41 PM   #33
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
a pile of anoraky answers to bull**** questions that nobody really cares about any more tacked onto a redux something 20 years old that didn't need to happen.
So, much like most other TF things aimed to some degree at people in their twenties?

Old 2006-07-20, 12:12 AM   #34
LKW
Gestalt

fray-adjacent

Well, I was initially pretty interested when hearing of this project - the Marvel adaptation was so inaccurate and, well, just generally poor. But, then I remembered how mediocre the Movie itself was....

Having the Generations comic adapt the British series is a good idea. Certainly better than some of the things they've reprinted so far... Though maybe the half-length of the stories was a cause for hesitation. Hmmm, get Geoff Senior to draw ALL of Target 2006, so that it blends seemlessly

As far as this project, I do suspect that the "new scenes" in this adaptation will just be the stuff left out or screwed up the first time; I guess we'll see. Good chance I'll at least buy the part(s?) adapting the best part of the movie - the first twenty, twenty five minutes....

LKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 02:26 PM   #35
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Quote:
So, much like most other TF things aimed to some degree at people in their twenties?
Nope, it manages to be even more worthless. Infiltration is aimed at people in their 20s; whatever its' faults, it's trying to tell a new story. Therefore it has some basic reason to exist. A 90% identical adaptation to a twenty-year old film? Doesn't really have any reason to be done at all. It doesn't do anything new. I understand IDW's only reason for buying the TF license was to make money, don't get me wrong. But at least the rest of their output has some sort of artistic merit to it. Hell, even DW's stuff had more of this.

Old 2006-07-20, 04:04 PM   #36
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

It's much more honest to put out a declared adapation of the film to coincide with an anniversary and get some additional nostalgia interest into the comics market, than it is to rip said thing off whilst claiming a new story.

Artistic merit? What, we're onto "it's not punk if people like it" charges now?

Old 2006-07-20, 04:20 PM   #37
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Eh? Where did I say that?

I simply find it very, very low-brow to do an adaptation of a twenty-year old movie in order to shift some units without (seemingly) trying to bring anything new to the mix, especially considering the talent involved. I don't see why a "new" series couldn't have been published instead... it won't test Bob as a reader, and it won't really test readers' reactions to him either. It seems like a very pointless exercise.

To follow on jumping on tangents, you're saying it's okay for a comic to be poor and totally lacking in ambition as long as someone says that's the idea? So, if IDW were to say "this comic is designed to sell the Classics Astrotrain figure", and it consisted entirely of pin-ups of said toy urinating on other toys, that'd be a worthwhile comic, because they'd said that was what it was meant to do?

Last edited by Cliffjumper; 2006-07-20 at 04:23 PM.
Old 2006-07-20, 04:42 PM   #38
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
It seems like a very pointless exercise.
- Get people thinking favourably of the writer, particularly those turned off by his later Marvel US stories.
- Raise awareness of the comics side of the TF brand, tapping into the films.
- Offset the cost of the comics license and underwrite other TF projects.

How is that pointless, exactly?

Unrelated, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Bob will be writing the adaptation of the 2007 movie as well...

Quote:
because they'd said that was what it was meant to do
It would be a point in their favour that they hadn't misrepresented and lied, yes.

That and I'd buy it for novelty value...

Old 2006-07-20, 05:37 PM   #39
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

Well, it would be an awesome comic. Maybe I should submit the thing?

Quote:
(I) Get people thinking favourably of the writer, particularly those turned off by his later Marvel US stories.
(II) Raise awareness of the comics side of the TF brand, tapping into the films.
(III) Offset the cost of the comics license and underwrite other TF projects.

(I) I don't see what good this is really going to do for Bob's reputation. Non-converts aren't going to be particularly impressed that he's only trusted with adapting an old film.

(II/III) I'm skeptical as to the commercial success of this, mainly because the comic industry doesn't present itself to more casual fans very easily... I think there's a chance any casual fans bought in will be more than offset by readers who don't fancy a retread.

Old 2006-07-20, 08:04 PM   #40
Aardvark

Wales? O___o
Default Comic Con Art Du Jour

http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/dujour.shtml
Quote:
Hmmm, I wonder what this could be? Surely it has nothing to do with announcements being made today at Comic Con during the IDW Publishing and The Transformers: More Than Meets the IDW! panel going down at 3 P.M. in Room 4. Guests like Chris Ryall, editor Dan Taylor, artists Don Figueroa (The Transformers: Stormbringer), and E. J. Su will be on hand to share their TF secrets. So if you are a real energon fiend, this is something you don't want to miss. (But don't worry too much if you do, 'cause all the details and more can be found right here soon!)

Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote