• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Old 2006-07-20, 08:41 PM   #41
Neuronutter
Gestalt

Halifax, NS

Hmmmm

Well I guess it was only a matter of time till the chaos bringer inevitably ended up in an IDW comic. So much for hoping! Here we go again.

Neuronutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 08:47 PM   #42
Aardvark

Wales? O___o
Smile

http://www.tfarchive.com/community/s...threadid=35937

Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 09:42 PM   #43
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...ansformers.htm

Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-20, 10:04 PM   #44
Aardvark

Wales? O___o

Wow the movie adaptation sounds and furthermore looks like complete rubbish.

Sixshot spotlight!

Old 2006-07-21, 03:36 AM   #45
Springer007
Truth-bearer

Fort Smith, Arkansas

I do liek the pic where Megs is getting hsi tail kicked in by the Predacons. I always suspected Razorclaw and his minions to be that power hungry :3

Springer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 06:05 AM   #46
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany

DVD cover artwork by Don...

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...s-revealed.htm

Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 02:03 PM   #47
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Quote:
Originally posted by Springer007
I do liek the pic where Megs is getting hsi tail kicked in by the Predacons. I always suspected Razorclaw and his minions to be that power hungry :3
Yeh, I always thought they might have a shot at killing him myself.

Like they did twice. Amazing how history can be memorable like that.

Having seen those previews... what the **** is the point?

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 02:20 PM   #48
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

So, there's only one extra scene, most of the rest are allmost shot for shot the same as the film, so utterly pointless in every way.

And this whole "I needed to wet my feet again" thing from Bob doesn't stand up to very close scrutiny. They let Chuck Dixon write a whole new TF comic despite knowing less about the franchise than Bob- He didn't need to adapt Flight Or Flee first now did he? Bah, and indeed Pah.

inflatable dalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 02:43 PM   #49
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Aye... and that has to be the most unethusiastic "I LOVE WRITING THIS COMIC!" PR-friendly blurb I've ever read. You can see how utterly non-pussed he is by the project... I don't see how this can actually be of interest to any writer of any experience or station. It's basically going to be an editing job... Nobody is going to be convinced that Bob is a good writer on the back of a cut-n-paste job, so if that's an angle, it's a failure. It's not a proper comic, so that angle doesn't work either.

It's very, very odd that IDW would attach him to this project, basically. I can see why IDW's bank account wants this series to exist, and I can see what's in it for both Don and his cultist (sp?) fanboys (clarification - I'm sure Don's lovely, and no long-term TF fan would turn down the chance to do this one, and his work is very good - it's not really his fault he attracts swooning at every corner), but I don't see why they bothered sticking Bob on it instead of some staffer (like Furman ).

All I can really think of is they want to give Bob a big chunk of cash in a no-risk venture. If that's the reason, fair play to them. Didn't make "Tonight" any better, though.

Old 2006-07-21, 02:50 PM   #50
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
All I can really think of is they want to give Bob a big chunk of cash in a no-risk venture.
Dear IDW,

If you're looking at throwing cash at a no risk venture, please throw some my way.

What odds all the combiners will be in the Autobot City Battle?

Or that if pressed Bob couldn't even name the leader of the Dinobots?

Old 2006-07-21, 02:54 PM   #51
Aardvark

Wales? O___o

Quote:
but I don't see why they bothered sticking Bob on it instead of some staffer (like Furman )
Because thatís the only thing that makes it slightly significant. Not that it should mind you; Bob has absolutely no creative control over this (Not that it seems to bother the lovable scamp). Itís almost patronising; we want you because you're the fanboy proclaimed "Father of Transformers" now stick to the script and don't come up with any new ideas [/exaggeration but you know I what I mean]
He may have written "Shooting Star" but I still have fate in him. I want to see what Bob can come up with not this farceÖ

Old 2006-07-21, 02:59 PM   #52
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Smile

[@ Dalek]Or that his involvment basically boils down to saying "Yeh, Don, whatever you think works best"...

As I've said, it's a missed opportunity in itself, especially as we have confirmation this thing will be 99.648% faithful (assuming 22 pages, 4 frames per page... 8-)). If they had to do a TF:TM tie-in, there's about nine thousand more interesting ways to do so... there's the Prequel route, there's the T2006-style approach (i.e. threading a new story around the events), there's just doing the thing and putting in a lot of draft/storyboard material... I don't think they could have picked a worse path, as including one scene shows they could have changed anything they wanted, but they just haven't bothered. Why does that one bit where the action skips ahead, plus adding Snarl into what will probably be a frame of getting clobbered by Devastator, and then a couple of group shots, seem any more worth doing that trying to sort out some of the other comedy-oversized holes in the screenplay?

Why not just let Don do a poster book?

[@Aardvark] That's kinda what bothers me. It's like they want the fan cred of finally giving Bob his dues (which he really does deserve... a few ropey plots because he was left on the book far too long is nothing compared to his groundwork - we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the quality of the character work, because then none of the media would work, and it'd basically be Gobots - a few nice figures, but not something to go mad about), but don't actualyl trust him enough to do something - at least not until they have something to offset the losses a Budiansky-written series may incurr. All this says to doubters is that he can't be trusted to plot or script something himself... Why not get McDonough and Patyk to do it? They'd love it, it wouldn't be an insult to them, and they'd be righting more wrongs left behind by Adolf Lee, The Most Evil Man In The History Of Humanity.

Last edited by Cliffjumper; 2006-07-21 at 03:03 PM.
Old 2006-07-21, 03:01 PM   #53
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark
now stick to the script and don't come up with any new ideas
No wait- He had a new idea! The Autobot shuttle crashing on Quintessa! One new idea in ten plus years is good, yes? Unless it was in the original comic as well... Hmmm, come to that the bit in the film isn't nearly as confusing as he thinks...

Old 2006-07-21, 03:06 PM   #54
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

I thought that, but it's been a while since I've seen... grabby thing comes through windscreen, they hit surface, and then there's a slight leap to show them underwater, and it's pretty obvious they've just been thrown forward... Like I say, it's not that much of a plot chasm compared to, say, how exactly Hot Rod & co know Ultra Magnus' team are on Junk, or why Megatron took millenia thinking of "go over their base and kill them" (and why the Autobots don't bother checking this sort of thing).

Old 2006-07-21, 03:09 PM   #55
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Like I say, it's not that much of a plot chasm compared to, say, how exactly Hot Rod & co know Ultra Magnus' team are on Junk,
Or why, when they need to land somewhere for repairs they don't just go back to the planet they just passed and rescue Hot Rod and co at the same time...

Old 2006-07-21, 06:50 PM   #56
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
(I) I don't see what good this is really going to do for Bob's reputation. Non-converts aren't going to be particularly impressed that he's only trusted with adapting an old film.

(II/III) I'm skeptical as to the commercial success of this, mainly because the comic industry doesn't present itself to more casual fans very easily... I think there's a chance any casual fans bought in will be more than offset by readers who don't fancy a retread.
People know the film -- if it ends up as a good edit, they'll know he has a better idea of how to assemble existing dialogue than McMicknyk, for starters...

Not very plussed with the art, personally -- the reason I like the movie is because it's darker and generally more detailed than the rest of the animated series.

Quote:
don't see why they bothered sticking Bob on it instead of some staffer
Because it's a safe way to reintroduce him to fandom -- very few people think as cynically as "only trusted with", looking at the responses throughout the rest of the fandom.

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 06:54 PM   #57
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Very few people thought of Pat Lee as a self-interested cash-grabber in 2001.

Wow, that was needlessly glib...

Yeh, I get that I'm seeing half-glass full, but I really don't see many reasons why Bob needs to be on this project. I really don't buy how it'll get him reintroduced to fandom any more than the Generations reprints will... The best way would be to give him a one-shot - no real commitment considering the hype would shift enough multiple covers to more than cover costs, even if it sucked and caused everyone to swear off him. This is going to show whether he can realise which bits of the Movie everyone likes.

Old 2006-07-21, 10:18 PM   #58
LKW
Gestalt

fray-adjacent

I gather from the aforementioned Preds/Meg cover, and the other information on the linked page, that IDW is reprinting TF (US) #25 in Generations. (At least they got the head color "right", making it clear which "Megatron" it is.) Great work, IDW! Next, hurry and do "The Big Broadcast of 2006", the Mechanibals two-parter, and "The Interplanetary Wrestling Championship"! :rolleyes:

(I could have mentioned "Buster Witwicky and the Car Wash of Doom", but that's too easy and popular a target. Besides, Budiansky and co. did others worse than that, IMHO...)

(By the way, while writing this I discovered through typo something which could have made the old series more amusing: _Butter_ Witwicky...)

LKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 11:26 PM   #59
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

I think "Afterdeath" is planned next... I dunno, I struggle to see what mindset is behind Generations, I really do. It's almost as if they just went down a nearby comic store and bought all the $1 back-issues or something... I could see some of their choices working if they were printing sequential issues, or picking one from each TPB, or something, but there really doesn't seem to be much method...

As I've said, I'd seriously go for "big" UK material - it'd sell better and get better feedback. Either that or I'd just do a straight reprint of G2, top to tails.

Old 2006-07-21, 11:36 PM   #60
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
I think "Afterdeath" is planned next...
http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/

It's usually reasonably up-to-date.

Quote:
I really don't buy how it'll get him reintroduced to fandom any more than the Generations reprints will...
By getting his name on stuff more people like, due to being cartoon watchers -- not really any more complicated than that.

http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5833

^ Other than that I don't know many people who are picking up Generations, so presumably it's an unexpected nostalgia market. I think a lot of people would pick it up if it reprinted stuff they liked but couldn't easily obtain.

At some point I'll put together a "manifesto" of what I'd do with the series, based on non-Titan material with some theme issues (eg, State Games, And There Shall Come A Leader + Peace would make a decent war-themed issue.)

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote