Old 2006-07-24, 08:07 PM   #21
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
remember, in fictional terms, there's absolutely no guarantee he'll regenerate
And even if he did, it's one more life down. Never know when he'll need that extra regeneration. Like if it's the End Of The World and it all comes down to who's got the most deaths left...

Quote:
I wouldn't have recommended it for a first "old" Who simply because there aren't many other places to go...
That was one reservation I had about that as a starting point. But tis done now, I like Davison and am gonna pick up some more of his stuff.

Colin Baker comes across as a prat. Well, from... like, two lines, anyway. "Not a moment too soon" makes it sound like "well, thank god we got rid of that idiot!" Really disliked that line.

The body count was stunning. Just the outright casual approach to the way that absolutely everybody died. It felt like The Wild Bunch at moments.

I'm not quite sure if I caught how the Magma Beast died, though. I suspect it caught a glimpse of its reflection and died of embarrasment...

Last edited by Halfshell; 2006-07-24 at 08:09 PM.
Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-24, 09:01 PM   #22
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Oh, I'd repressed that thing... does it die? I mean, I'd guess it survives mudbursts...

It's a bit of a common misconception among the public that a regeneration is a given... there's got to be something to regenerate for a start, and something like a bullet in the brain would probably **** up the process too.

The trick whenever you get round to some Colin is realise you're not really meant to like him most of the time - of course, whether you like this approach or not is another matter...

Possible Spoiler: -

SPOILER! (select to read)
I've always loved that the Fourth Doctor died saving the entire universe, and the Fifth goes out saving a friend... It's also telling that the Fourth knows he has a future, and the fifth doesn't

Davison... there's not many of the good ones out on DVD... "Resurrection of the Daleks" is a good actioner, albeit full of headachy plot holes and bad acting... though I think the superb "Frontios" is up soon If you get any McCoy DVDs, start with "Remembrance of the Daleks" - it's really good, but still leaves you with "Ghost Light" and "Curse of Fenric" to go up to, not to mention any future release of the likes of "Delta" or "Happiness Patrol".

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-24, 09:08 PM   #23
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Zisteau
She looks like a mouse.
http://www.electricfishmusic.com/210.html

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-25, 06:48 PM   #24
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Oh, I'd repressed that thing... does it die? I mean, I'd guess it survives mudbursts...
He stumbles over it's dead body when rushing for the milk, he says somthing like "Looks like your not having a good day either". As with the opening Tardis scene they didn't have time to film a scripted life or death struggle between the Doctor and the Beast where he wound up forcing it over a cliff. It seems to have been rather a fraught production all in all.

For another Davision I'd reccomend Earthshock, one of my very first Who video's and is a good actioney story as long as you don't think about a few of the plot holes to closely.

Colin's cocky git attitude is probably at it's best in Caves- Unfortunetly it's the best story he's in though.

inflatable dalek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-30, 02:55 AM   #25
eternalshades
Dinobot

I don't know.

I loved Trial of a timelord, which introduced us to one of the neatest villians ever...the valeyard!

eternalshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-30, 09:30 AM   #26
Jetfire
Danny Cipriani > You

Hard traveling hero.

Quote:
Originally posted by Brendocon

Colin Baker comes across as a prat. Well, from... like, two lines, anyway. "Not a moment too soon" makes it sound like "well, thank god we got rid of that idiot!" Really disliked that line.

That's the problem/best thing about the 6th Doctor. He's arrogant but wouldn't you be if you were completely better than anybody in the universe.

The idea of the 6th Doc was to have someone likeable at first but peel away layer after layer of teh character over many years. Unfortuantly Grade f##ked that up as he simply hated the show.

Colin gets more likeable as the show goes on. Revelation of teh Daleks is him at his best. The 2 Doctors isn't bad, though a tad silly. Sadly Doc 6 was slaughtered by the poor scripts. In many way the 7th Doctor completed the job with brilliant turn of scripts which added new levels to the Doctor's history.

Quote:
[B]

Possible Spoiler: -

SPOILER! (select to read)
I've always loved that the Fourth Doctor died saving the entire universe, and the Fifth goes out saving a friend... It's also telling that the Fourth knows he has a future, and the fifth doesn't
I'm always felt the regenerations were done well. I've also always had suspision that (acadently) each Doc infulenced the outcome of the regeneration.

Doc 1 had a new found love of his human companions and because something that could relate to them more.
Doc 2 was busy saving so mant=y areas of the universe he turned into an action man.
Doc 3 was always desperate in leave earth so he turned into a traveler desperate to head off
Doc 4 loved his human companions and was emotionally devestated by human companions leaved he became more human.
Doc 5 was facing an increasingly darker universe and adapted accordingly
Doc 6 claimed to be the smartest doc but was caught out by many emeny's who had prepared for him
Doc 7 was the secretive kind that could accomodate the plans Doc 6 would come up with.

Last edited by Jetfire; 2006-07-30 at 09:39 AM.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-30, 07:28 PM   #27
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Jetfire 2.1

Colin gets more likeable as the show goes on.
I've allways found his performance in the Trial season to be much, much weaker than in his first year. Basicaly he just shouts constantly rather than acting. It says somthing that Raquel's Dad makes a much better Doctor despite playing the baddy of the piece. I am a big fan of Colin's audio work though.

Old 2006-07-30, 10:01 PM   #28
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Heh, I read all the spoilers.

Mostly because I'll probably never see the show, not much to spoil...

22 seasons though? Really?

Wow.

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-31, 07:15 AM   #29
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Hound

Wow.
26. Plus a TV movie. Plus the two "new" series.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-31, 09:11 AM   #30
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Brendocon
26. Plus a TV movie. Plus the two "new" series.
Two TV Movies as that's what The Five Doctors is really... And one more "new" series just started filming- They'll probably do a fourth as well so they can go past the 52 episode minimum needed for American sydication (and beforew anyone says that's a silly idea, the only reason the last two series of red Dwarf had eight episodes each instead of six, despite the added strain thisd put on the budget, was for that very reason).

Old 2006-08-22, 03:49 PM   #31
Osku
One with the Matrix

Finland
Smile

There was a little Who's the Doctor? introduction in the Finnish sci-fi con.
http://www.finncon.org/en

Concentrated on earlier doctors with short video clips. Was quite interesting, but 45 minutes is really short time for that kind of lecture.

Osku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-22, 04:31 PM   #32
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Do you know if you're geting it subed or dubed Osku? The French sub memorably kept in all the lines about the Doctor being Northern, but cast a actor witha French Southern accent...

Old 2006-08-22, 06:38 PM   #33
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Hound

Wow.
Well, it does span several decades -- it's like if every Bond film was a fairly cheap budget series. Except there's actually a reason in the plot that the Doctor changes appearance and personality over time...

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-23, 06:10 AM   #34
Osku
One with the Matrix

Finland
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
Do you know if you're geting it subed or dubed Osku? The French sub memorably kept in all the lines about the Doctor being Northern, but cast a actor witha French Southern accent...
Subtitles. In Finland only programs dubbed are cartoons (not all though) and documents (nature documents mostly). Movies and series are always subtitled.

Last edited by Osku; 2006-08-23 at 04:23 PM.
Old 2006-08-23, 03:41 PM   #35
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

That's good news. What is Doctor Who in Finnish?

Old 2006-08-23, 04:23 PM   #36
Osku
One with the Matrix

Finland

Quote:
Originally posted by inflatable dalek
That's good news. What is Doctor Who in Finnish?
They leave the title untranslated, so it's "Doctor Who" in Finland as well. Straight translation (joke doesn't work very well in Finnish) would be "Kuka tohtori". Better translation would "Tohtori, kuka lieneekään" or "kukalie tohtori" but using those as a name would be difficult.

Old 2006-08-23, 04:27 PM   #37
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

I disagree, Kukalie is what I'm going to call my first born. Still, IMS he's called Doctor Kim in some countires so you'd gte off lightly.

And Tohtori, kuka lieneekään In A Exciting Adventure With The Daleks! would be the best book title ever.

Old 2006-08-23, 04:42 PM   #38
Osku
One with the Matrix

Finland

By the way, it was nice to finally see Daleks (first version) in action, even if very shortly. Though I must admit that I liked Cybermen more. Sorry.

Old 2006-08-23, 04:53 PM   #39
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Osku
. Though I must admit that I liked Cybermen more. Sorry.
"Do not Blaspheme!".

I do like the butch 80's Cybermen ("AH-HA! I have found the ones from the Tardis!" may well be the greatest line of dialouge ever), but they can't hold a candle to the likes of Yartek.

Old 2006-09-11, 09:23 AM   #40
Osku
One with the Matrix

Finland

First episode aired. It was... lighter than I expected.

Would I quess right that the nutcase studying doctor was some kind of cameo (earlier doctor, director or similar)?