Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers News & Rumours

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-31, 11:43 AM   #41
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ford DeceptiFocus
A quick wit and being a smart ass go hand and hand--one out of two ain't bad I guess. With a little work, you'll get there bud.
Even if he's got just one of the two, he's still four up on you...

Old 2006-07-31, 02:14 PM   #42
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Hound

I just bought issue #189!
Cyke got Stall0wned!

Ford DeceptiFocus' team of people he needs to think for him are probably working overtime here... Actually, they're probably all scouring the 'net trying to find out when Stormbringer #2 is out.

Old 2006-07-31, 03:44 PM   #43
Ford DeceptiFocus

Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally posted by Hound
I'm going to end up banning someone, I can feel it!
Just said in harmless fun. I have nothing against Cliff. He, well everyone on this board, knows I feel like a moron for not seeing the same thing posted twice--and then posting it myself.

Old 2006-07-31, 11:45 PM   #44
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

Let's also be realistic here.

IDW unlike DW is a business saavy company.

The sell out likely has more to do with not overprinting the sucker than an massive wave of overbuying occuring. Of course, this will be elucidated when July sales figures come out.

Having said that, even if this is the case, it can only be good news for TF comic fans because making smart business decisions is as important as increasing sales when it comes to survival.

Though I doubt sales of Stormbringer #1 will exceed, say, 40,000 copies, we should still be impressed with IDW's business acumen.

Of course, if sales are greater than what I'm expecting , we truly have even a greater reason to rejoice. I'll be floored.

Old 2006-08-03, 05:14 PM   #45
Clogs
has retired, boo-yah!

Leicester, in the Heart of England

Have obtained said issue. It's pretty darn stonking good.

When's issue 2 out?

Old 2006-08-03, 06:20 PM   #46
Ford DeceptiFocus

Los Angeles, CA

Commander, if you are thinking roughly 40,000 copies of Stormbringer #1, what is your guesstimate of potential sales figures for various comics once the movie debuts next July? I'm curious what your take on that is, since you seem to be really informed about sales. Thanks!

Old 2006-08-03, 11:15 PM   #47
Bruticus13

Croydon, UK

Oooh... I did like that one. Especially the flashbacks to Prime and Megatron. Wasn't so keen on the Technobots getting taken though... I hope they have more of a chance to shine and it isn't all the Jetfire Show.

Old 2006-08-04, 01:50 AM   #48
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Ford DeceptiFocus
Commander, if you are thinking roughly 40,000 copies of Stormbringer #1, what is your guesstimate of potential sales figures for various comics once the movie debuts next July? I'm curious what your take on that is, since you seem to be really informed about sales. Thanks!
Well, I'm not really in any way a sales expert, I'm just good at reporting them.

But if I had to take a stab, looking at how movies tend to affect comic sales very little if at all, I would say that the comic book version of the live action movie will sell very well, but that the movie will do little to improve other TF comic sales.

Particularly when the movie is likely to be vastly different from what we currently have in the ongoing. For example, the movie will give us characters that are somewhat familiar in name, but will be different in appearance from what we are used to them looking like. A TF movie fan who picks up a title like Escalation, for example, will find it unfamiliar to them perhaps, and decide to forgo buying it.

So I really don't expect the movie to signficantly increase comic sales by much, but it will definitely help sustain the interest by us hardcore TF comic buyers. And that's really what IDW should be aiming to do with this movie. Keep the long time TF comic reader as a future longtime TF comic reader.

Old 2006-08-05, 02:57 PM   #49
jhlucas

Mississippi, USA
Thumbs up

Just picked up my copy of Stormbringer #1. It's by far the best TF comic yet from IDW. Furman seems to have found his muse...finally (hope it sticks around).

Old 2006-08-05, 04:18 PM   #50
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Yeh, movies haven't helped comic titles much in the past at all (IIRC, X-Men was actually going through a really rough patch sales-wise after the release of the first movie, and sales only got better when they dropped the second-hand film visuals & plotlines, and brought in Grant Morrison), and the big difference is a lot of people across the board don't perceive Transformers as a comic franchise - whereas practically everyone watching Superman, Daredevil or whatever is going to be aware it's based on a comic book series, they'll be perceiving Transformers as a movie spun off from toys or a cartoon for the most part, and going for figures/DVD sets as their impulse buys afterwards, sadly.

The adaptation will probably sell as well as those things do, but even if the comic storyline ties directly in to the film, there won't be a lot of sales crossover in anything other than the very short-term...

Old 2006-08-05, 05:53 PM   #51
Halfshell

Red face

So... when's issue 2 out?

Old 2006-08-05, 06:08 PM   #52
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Brendocon
So... when's issue 2 out?
No idea. There may be something at their website - if anyone finds it, can they please post it in this thread?

Actually, as "Global Moderator" (the Hyacinth 'Boooookay' of Admins ), you really think Denyer would be responsible enough to put in in the opening post.

Anyone who has any information on when Stormbringer #2 is out will be rewarded by being able to use my own high-quality artwork of popular Gobot Bentwing as their avatar:

Old 2006-08-05, 06:23 PM   #53
Halfshell

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Anyone who has any information on when Stormbringer #2 is out will be rewarded by being able to use my own high-quality artwork of popular Gobot Bentwing as their avatar:
I have information.

You said nothing of sharing the aforementioned.

Old 2006-08-05, 06:30 PM   #54
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

*shakes fist*

*calls lawyer*

*agrees out of court settlement*

Old 2006-08-05, 08:02 PM   #55
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Red face

Due to legal fidgy-widgy beyond my control, I am forced to offer the alternate prize of a Major Mo avatar to whoever posts information about the release of Stormbringer #2 in this thread.

Old 2006-08-08, 08:50 AM   #56
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

I know the answer. But frankly that's so fugly I don't want to share...

Whilst indervidual comic sales might not be boosted much by Movies, I suspect that Trades, which are more widely avaliable and more appealing to peeps who aren't keen on spending three quid for one sixth of a story normally, do get a good increase in sales.

Unless someone wants to contradict me?

Old 2006-08-08, 01:45 PM   #57
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Lightbulb

I'd say, while they probably do improve by a bigger percentage (often through being able to feature in more mainstream bookstores than single issues, especially outside the US where Waterstones and the like often fill up with TPBs after a successful comic film) people will also baulk at forking out ~£15 for something which may, or may not, be like the film they saw the other day.

And I really can't emphasise enough that Transformers is not a 'comic' property which is being turned into a film. It's a toy franchise that happens to have comics put out under its' name. In terms of general public awareness, I think it's still very fair to say Joe Bloggs thinks of Transformers as a toyline, and then a cartoon. I'd bet that a substantial amount of TF:TM DVD buyers aren't aware of the comic's existance (or weren't unless it's mentioned on DVD bonus material [/prevention of pedantic tw@t response]). First thing most people walking out of the cinema having been impressed by the film will be wanting to buy are some toys.

Old 2006-08-08, 10:16 PM   #58
big mouth
IDW Staff

Taken from IDW's "August 2006 Solicitations" page:

The Transformers: Stormbringer #2

Simon Furman (w), Don Figueroa (a & c)

In part two of this cosmic epic from Furman and Figueroa, captives of a mysterious cult worship the once and former “weapon of mass destruction” known as THUNDERWING, while OPTIMUS PRIME—the memory of the insane, tormented Decepticon scientist’s last near-apocalyptic rampage still uppermost in his anguished memory—unleashes his own last resort solution—the WRECKERS! Features a special wraparound cover from Figueroa as well as a variant character sketch cover from Fig, too.

*Covers will be shipped in a 1-to-1 ratio.

*Retailers: See your order form for special incentives

FC • 32 pages • $2.99

P.S. Cliffjumper, the info is "on the house." If anyone feels saucy, head over to theIDW Online Exclusives page and buy some rare goodies.

Old 2006-08-09, 08:19 AM   #59
Halfshell

Wink

So... when's it out?

Old 2006-08-09, 11:44 AM   #60
Hound
Married to Sadie

Henshin!

Quote:
Originally posted by Brendocon
So... when's it out?
Dude! It came out today!!! Can you believe that? Without any notice at all! What the hell?!

Closed Thread