Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-15, 01:09 PM   #41
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by MattMoylan
[B]
I do still have the rough of that timeline are on my HD somehwere. I can post it if anyone really wants to see it
Do it!

Old 2006-08-15, 10:04 PM   #42
starscreamjericho

jacksonville,fl

yes, please post it.

Old 2006-08-15, 10:16 PM   #43
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Would like to see that if you can dig it out.

Old 2006-08-16, 04:01 PM   #44
MattMoylan

Toronto

Well here's the rough version, you would've turned the book sideways and the timeline would span multiple pages. Probably would've made up a bunch of cool icons to indicated different types of evens & such... definitely more stuff that could've been added in though I think, and needed to nailed down some more dates.

my deviantart gallery http://mattmoylan.deviantart.com
Old 2006-08-16, 08:42 PM   #45
starscreamjericho

jacksonville,fl

cool!!!!!!!

Old 2006-08-17, 01:11 AM   #46
LKW
Gestalt

fray-adjacent

Quote:
Originally posted by starscreamjericho
cool!!!!!!!
Seconded!

Thank you for posting this! Interesting info about the disks, the Insecticons... I'm not even sure that we readers were certain that that was Omega and Jetfire's ship.

And this little tidbit: "Megatron & Optimus Prime disappear in space bride accident." Well, that adds a little color to things!

Seriously, thank you again, sir, for sharing this with us - very nice of you!

Old 2006-08-17, 09:10 AM   #47
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

I'd forgoten that Voyager was launched in the 70's... So is Megs supposed to have flown out into space to catch up with it whereever it would have been circa 1984ish?

Old 2006-08-17, 03:36 PM   #48
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Thumbs up

Cheers, that confirmed a few suppositions.

Quote:
is Megs supposed to have flown out into space to catch up with it whereever it would have been circa 1984ish?
Likely down to Shockwave (who also claims responsibility for the Ark II crash.)

Quote:
Autobots begin construction of Metroplex on Earth.
Just in time for a 2005 tie-in...

Old 2006-08-17, 06:54 PM   #49
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

How come I'm not seeing the timeline or a link?

Could somebody post it again please.

Old 2006-08-17, 07:12 PM   #50
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

http://tfarchive.com/visions/temp/TFTimeline.gif

Old 2006-08-18, 01:16 AM   #51
Commander Shockwav
Gestalt

Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
http://tfarchive.com/visions/temp/TFTimeline.gif
Thanks Stu.

After looking through that timeline.....that is some confusing ****, I must say.

Of course, the DW continuity isn't fresh in my mind. I thoroughly enjoyed it while it was there though. But certainly, you can tell where the creative teams were not really working together.

It seems like Simon and Brad had their stories to tell, but didn't really get together to hash things out as cleanly as they should have. Simon wanted to tell his War Within tales, Brad wanted to tell his own tales further up the timeline, and it worked up to a point. But when Brad started jumping back (with flashbacks and Micromasters, for instance), you really had to be on top of things to keep it all straight.

Micromasters should have never happened the way it did. Not only was it an awful story, it really made things more confusing, because it referenced events that were part of the overall continuity. What they should have done was made Micromasters a tale on its own, something that could have happened in any TF continuity.

The ongoing by Mick was, for me, the most fun reading since the early Marvel days. War and Peace and the first ten issues of the ongoing I thought were great.

Old 2006-08-18, 02:03 AM   #52
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Makes enough sense laid out as a timeline, it just doesn't cohere because it wasn't written like that -- it's a patchwork of slot arounds that resulted in fairly glaring errors such as Blitzwing, who'd already appeared in the first WW volume before being made a story point in the G1 book (and who'd already been seen deactivated in v1 before appearing on Shockwave's side in v2, IIRC.)

I'd say McDonough is most to blame, for careless use of flashback, sloppy resurrections/research and inserting specific story points into the profile series. And the flash-forward to the cartoon (Megs/Prime dam fight, Headmasters and Targetmasters) was almost certainly something that DW asked to be included in War Within rather than the natural flow of the story.

Old 2006-08-18, 03:16 AM   #53
MattMoylan

Toronto

Quote:
Makes enough sense laid out as a timeline, it just doesn't cohere because it wasn't written like that -- it's a patchwork of slot arounds that resulted in fairly glaring errors such as Blitzwing, who'd already appeared in the first WW volume before being made a story point in the G1 book (and who'd already been seen deactivated in v1 before appearing on Shockwave's side in v2, IIRC.)

I'd say McDonough is most to blame, for careless use of flashback, sloppy resurrections/research and inserting specific story points into the profile series. And the flash-forward to the cartoon (Megs/Prime dam fight, Headmasters and Targetmasters) was almost certainly something that DW asked to be included in War Within rather than the natural flow of the story.
Well, if you want the inside scoop... the Mick/McDonough/Patyk love triangle were solely responsible for some pretty major continuity errors, but not due to sloppyness. It was the simple fact that they didn't give a damn about what had gone before, and purposely ignored or changed anything that didn't fit into their story, but they were well aware of the previous content. That includes moments like the Insecticons, Blitzwing, and Red Alert being on the ark II/earth, that General Halo caused the ark II tragedy, Wheeljack's death... and a pile of other things they ignored. I called out a lot of those things specifically to McDonut and his response was that he didn't really care.

They even went and added that War Within flashback into G1 where Starscream kills the Cybertron high council, without even asking or telling Simon about it. He was understandably pretty peeved about that, as I think he's mentioned in interviews....

But anyways, the last I saw them was at a transformerscon panel were they just went on & on about how Simon had stolen all their Beast Wars ideas. Pfft :P I think they've pretty effectively burned their bridges with Simon. So I don't expect we'll ever have to suffer with them on TF again as long as Simon is the main wordsmith man over at IDW

Old 2006-08-18, 03:37 AM   #54
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK

Quote:
I think they've pretty effectively burned their bridges with Simon. So I don't expect we'll ever have to suffer with them on TF again as long as Simon is the main wordsmith man over at IDW
I hope not; I have sympathy for any creator left out of pocket by bankruptcy proceedings of a company, but didn't enjoy the parade of heavy-handed references to the movie and episode titles.

Can't actually remember where I heard about Furman finding out about the WW flashback when he read the issue; presumably either a written interview or a convention -- do remember that he was very polite/tactful; had used it to spark the basis of Age of Wrath, etc. but it must be incredibly annoying as a writer to have to deal with random insertions.

Old 2006-08-18, 04:46 AM   #55
MattMoylan

Toronto

Quote:
I hope not; I have sympathy for any creator left out of pocket by bankruptcy proceedings of a company, but didn't enjoy the parade of heavy-handed references to the movie and episode titles.
Well, I also know what it's like to lose a good deal of money that way, and feel for every other freelancer who got screwed by DW falling apart. But having worked with the guys, I'd have to say with McDonough & Patyk pretty much got what they deserved. Makes me re-evaluated my stance on the existence of karma

Old 2006-08-18, 01:05 PM   #56
inflatable dalek
Duke of Kidderminster

Kidderminster UK

Quote:
Can't actually remember where I heard about Furman finding out about the WW flashback when he read the issue; presumably either a written interview or a convention
It was that years Auto Assembly, someone asked a question about how the flashback was going to tie into WW3 and he had to admit that was the first he'd heard of it...

Old 2006-08-18, 01:34 PM   #57
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Thumbs up

Quote:

But anyways, the last I saw them was at a transformerscon panel were they just went on & on about how Simon had stolen all their Beast Wars ideas. Pfft :P I think they've pretty effectively burned their bridges with Simon. So I don't expect we'll ever have to suffer with them on TF again as long as Simon is the main wordsmith man over at IDW
Good news, frankly. They weren't particularly good writers, and I'm not particularly sympathetic to their plight (largely through me being a bit of a bastard). As far as they're concerned, they were paid what they deserved (were they planning on sending a percentage to Ron Freidman, incidentally?), and left Transformers as a comic in a pretty bad state (it was losing readers hand over fist throughout their tenure). And, as I say, they were also really bad writers.

Old 2006-08-18, 04:46 PM   #58
MattMoylan

Toronto

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Good news, frankly. They weren't particularly good writers, and I'm not particularly sympathetic to their plight (largely through me being a bit of a bastard). As far as they're concerned, they were paid what they deserved (were they planning on sending a percentage to Ron Freidman, incidentally?), and left Transformers as a comic in a pretty bad state (it was losing readers hand over fist throughout their tenure). And, as I say, they were also really bad writers.
Forgive my ignorance, but who's Ron Freidman? I want to laugh too! Heh

Old 2006-08-18, 04:49 PM   #59
Ozz
One with the Matrix

I'm on the roof and I'm staring at the stars...
Smile

He wrote the script for Transformers: The Movie.

Old 2006-08-18, 04:53 PM   #60
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

If you can't find him on IMDB, it's because his name's Friedman rather than Freidman... http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2073225/

Closed Thread