• transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > COMMUNITY > General Discussion

Old 2003-11-20, 12:51 AM   #21
Addl
Matrix Keeper

Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by PaladinPrime
I think that's illegal on ebay, and overall, it's dishonest. I'd be pissed if I ever found out that a seller had done that to me. If you really couldn't let go of something for a certain price, then you should set a reserve.
illegal = *laugh*

more > less

Isch bin dabbei!
Addl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-20, 03:34 AM   #22
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
Not illegal, but you will get booted for it.
That's what I meant. It's not allowed by ebay.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-20, 07:23 AM   #23
nmathew
Matrix Keeper

Bay Area

There are people who actually spend free time looking for shill bidders. If I found out about someoen bidding on their own auctions, I would try to get them banned from E-bay. Remind me to never buy from Clay

--nmathew

G91 says I'm now part of the old guard.
nmathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-20, 08:58 AM   #24
Cyberman
I have no title...

I have bought several items via eBay - as an internation bidder.

At first I used BidPay, itīs an easy way, recently I started using PayPal. Theyīre both good for international bidders - the buyerīll need a credit card anyway.

As for shipping: It would be wise to write an approximate shipping cost for the items - if what you sell has the same weight, that should be no problem. But itīs quite helpful for those who want to bid.

I usually choose airmail, because otherwise itīd take a month or two from USA to Austria(Europe).

In a perfect world, this would be a signature. As it stands, it's just the lack of.
Cyberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-20, 09:56 AM   #25
Grimlock
The name's Lock. Grim Lock. License to be smooth.

Suffragette City, Oooh Wham! Bam! Thank You Maam!

Quote:
Originally posted by Brendocon
Say PayPal only.
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When people tell me that it makes me cry, cause I don't have paypal (don't ask), and International Money Orders are basically the only thing I can pay with. Until March 27th anyway, which is when I'm walking up to where ever I sign up for a credit card and get me a Visa.

Then I don't care and it's Paypal all the way.

"Among those fans there's at least one guy for whom you're a hero. He saved money to see you! That's what I did. I played for that guy." - Bruce Springsteen (1987)
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-20, 10:07 AM   #26
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.

Quote:
Originally posted by Grimlock
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I say that mainly from a seller's point of view. International Money Orders are often a big pain to cash here, whilst also incurring hefty charges.

Plus, if an MO goes missing in the post, the buyer has to fork out for it again. Whereas Paypal has much smaller fees, plus the knowledge that it's gone through. Also quicker.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-20, 11:40 AM   #27
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

Yeah... the main reason I auction stuff is to clear out, so waiting around on post only delays that. Having stuff sitting around packaged up is a hassle.

Isn't there something like a Ģ4 overhead on International Money Orders as well?

Denyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 02:10 AM   #28
Jim
Hardcore Movie Lover

Philadelphia, Pa

I put some up under my superfireprime name, tell me if you think I got my bases covered.

Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 01:06 PM   #29
Cyberman
I have no title...

Quote:
Originally posted by Brendocon

I say that mainly from a seller's point of view. International Money Orders are often a big pain to cash here, whilst also incurring hefty charges.

Plus, if an MO goes missing in the post, the buyer has to fork out for it again. Whereas Paypal has much smaller fees, plus the knowledge that it's gone through. Also quicker.
What about BidPay? Itīs a money order too, but it seems to be reliable. At least, whenever I paid using bidpay I had no problems.

In a perfect world, this would be a signature. As it stands, it's just the lack of.
Old 2003-12-03, 02:42 AM   #30
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Exclamation Warning to anyone particularly thick with an eBay account...

If you get an email similar to the one attached, take note of the fields at the bottom where it asks not only for you eBay login and password, but also for you email login and password...

Not only are the (reasonably canny) scammers going after your account, but also the means by which you can amend or use it.

It's not a badly put together scam... official links & graphics used, of course.

Attached Images
File Type: gif ebay_scam.gif (13.8 KB, 143 views)
Old 2003-12-03, 02:46 AM   #31
Jonin

Nowheresville. Actual Locale: N.S. Canada
Question

"unnormally"?

Jonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 02:50 AM   #32
Unicron
Time for plan bee-weeoop

I still like "and errors may occur without notification".

No, really? Did I miss them making it so all errors pop up with some sort of notification like "An error has occured. You might wanna fix it"?

Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 03:04 AM   #33
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonin
"unnormally"?
Hey, most people don't expect more professionalism from eBay...

Old 2003-12-03, 11:22 AM   #34
Addl
Matrix Keeper

Germany
Exclamation

He, one of my best friends got this (he is a power seller) while I was at his house having a beer and he would have filled out those input boxes if not for me laughing....
I am SO good

Isch bin dabbei!
Addl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 11:37 AM   #35
Cyberman
I have no title...

Default Re: Warning to anyone particularly thick with an eBay account...

Quote:
Originally posted by Denyer
... it asks not only for you eBay login and password, but also for you email login and password.....
eMail login? Why would eBay want to know THAT?

Anyway, thanks for the warning - Iīll check. BTW what do you define as "thick" with eBay?

Old 2003-12-03, 01:11 PM   #36
Denyer
Shooty Dog Thing

UK
Smile

'Thick' is just British slang for dense, which in turn is a metaphor for someone a little short on brain cells. Which you'd have to be to take any email like this seriously, especially with the problem of forgeries being highlighted by recent viruses.

I have to admit I looked at it for a few seconds longer than I would normally, simply because I'd just that minute completed nine transactions in a row.

Basically, never type anything into a form supplied as part of an email in HTML format. Always check URLs in your browser when clicking on links in emails.

Spoofing identities and forging email headers is very simple... yet a surprising number of people fall for it. The problem is social engineering... people are prepared to trust certain agencies with sensitive data such as passwords. Hell, I've worked in enough places (financial institutions, no less) where passwords were attached to monitors on small pieces of paper... this is why I keep just enough records not to have to rely on banks.

Old 2003-12-27, 08:32 AM   #37
Jim
Hardcore Movie Lover

Philadelphia, Pa
Question To those that sell on eBay - Responsibilty of Lost Packages

What do you think? If a package is lost or damaged in shipment - any service - who is at fault, the buyer or seller? I've been following a thread on eBay's Shipping forum, and noticed a wide variety of answers, including some that say no matter what, the seller is responsible. However, eBay leaves it up to the seller to dictate the terms of service for their auctions. Some people mention that even if the buyer declines insurance the seller should still replace or refund, while the other side says the bidders is SOL.

My own take is that I offer insurance coverage, and make it a point to mention in my shipping, policies and at the bottom of the page where you bid - the place that mentions insurance. I'm not a seller that declines to offer it. However, if the package were lost, damaged or stolen, and after all the offers for insurance, I always say it is up to the bidder at the end to decide. If they don't have it, I can try to help but I don't feel I owe the bidder anything if they decline coverage.

What do you think? Sellers or even Buyers? When and why are such and such party responsible for packages lost or damaged?

Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-27, 08:36 AM   #38
Sir Auros
Hardcore Gamer

Virginia, USA

Well, being that I lost a highly-coveted Buzz-Off figure through the mail after a seller sent it, I'm leaning more towards the seller's fault, but really, it's the f*cking postal system's and I'd rather just swipe something from the post office or poop in a mailbox in an act of petty, pointless revenge than make the seller pay me back.

However, there are always people like Wheeljackslab who offer insurance and then never send items if the buyer doesn't pay insurance.

Sir Auros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-27, 11:52 AM   #39
Shrapnel Clone
Modder Eter

The Netherlands

I think the seller filled his part of the bargain (sending the package to the buyer), so I don't consider it their fault when it goes missing.

"I dunno about you, but whenever I get confused I always mutilate the person next to me."
-Cliffjumper
Shrapnel Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-27, 04:57 PM   #40
Snake

The Archive

It's the shipping company's fault, not the buyer or seller. Many of those companies are extremely careless. I remember at the old Sword Forum, someone showed the box their $3000 sword came in; someone had stepped directly on the "Warning: Fragile" sticker (with broken glass emblem), crushing the box inward and leaving a boot print across the sticker.

Back for good... for Evil.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote