• transformers fandom
  • transformers forum

Go Back   TFARCHIVE > TRANSFORMERS > Transformers Media & Fandom

Old 2006-08-19, 08:42 PM   #21
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevermore
Unless you have a source for this bold statement, I'm inclined to file it under "wishful thinking" on your behalf.
1) Collector's Club Mag. Classics will be extended through the period of the movie line. (I suspect that this is less about the movie and more about Takara not really showing much interest in a new TF line yet.)

2) Micheal Bay. Only 13 toys will be made from the movie, the 'main' characters listed. (This isn't actually atypical, numerous toy-tie-in movies had kept the toy line very seperate from the movies' 'product'. )

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-19, 08:52 PM   #22
RID Scourge
Lurking

In ur newz forum. Reading ur newz!

Well, if there's one thing that I can say that's positive about all this, it's that I'll prolly not be getting this line, and probably won't be getting anything else, unless it's really awesome, or perhaps an alt mode that hasn't been done before, so it gives me a definitive stopping point, and I've been looking for an out with tfs for a month or two, now.

I really don't like the robot modes, and there's not point to buying a toy that I'm guaranteed to only be 50/50 on. Even though a good story can save the movie, it really won't go far to save the toys. I'll give them points for doing something that's never been done with TFs before, insofar as they're the furthest from human/recognizable beast that tfs have strayed, but they're just too ugly for my taste.

RID Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-19, 08:54 PM   #23
Nevermore
Keiner versteht mich.

Autobase Germany
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by TFVanguard
1) Collector's Club Mag. Classics will be extended through the period of the movie line. (I suspect that this is less about the movie and more about Takara not really showing much interest in a new TF line yet.)
You mean the part that said "The Classics line wil hit the shelves in November and last until the summer. So I guess you can say this is a short life span..."?

Quote:
2) Micheal Bay. Only 13 toys will be made from the movie, the 'main' characters listed. (This isn't actually atypical, numerous toy-tie-in movies had kept the toy line very seperate from the movies' 'product'. )
Of course, each movie character will only get one single toy. Not having paid much attention to movie-related toylines in recent years, have we?

How about this?

"Come spring of 2007, Hasbro will be 'sort of stopping some stuff' to work on the movie line. However a lot of the past lines will come back after they finish work on the movie line."

Or this?

"All current sublines to begin featuring characters that will be in the new Movie."

In fact, Hasbro Insider Joe Kyde just recently confirmed over at the Allspark that the Classics will be a short-lived filler line for now, because the Movie line is more important for Hasbro.

So no, your so-called "arguments" don't hold any water.

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-19, 09:30 PM   #24
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Yeah, whatever.

Sure, this will be a big hit, everyone will love it, and all the 'this will kick your ass' guys get to wave their dicks around. Because, at the end of the day, that's all a lot of this, right now, really is.

To me, and I'm speaking only for me, the movie - right now - looks like utter crap, and the toys don't look like anything I'll want to pick up. That's just me. I'm entitled to that opinion.

I'm also not that interested in the Classics line, largely 'cause there's no fiction related to it. I don't have a dog in any stupid penis-comparison either way there.

Movie tie-in lines tend to be short 'cause the films are only in the theatres for a short time. It would make no sense to have the movie line last a full 18 months if the movie's only out for two months of it. (Superman ring a bell to you? How about Spiderman?)

It's possible that Hasbro will do a lot of 'movie-like' figures for the rest of the 16 months, but I'm doubting it, and there's nothing to indicate that that will happen.

Honestly, though, with all the posturing and 'piss in your face' attitudes of the so-called 'fans' around, maybe a **** movie and a dead line for a few years is really what the fandom actually needs.

Old 2006-08-19, 11:01 PM   #25
BlueSkids
Rookie father

Certainly not in Cybertron... I need air.

Well, I don't think the TF Movie will be crap or a ' killing franchise '... I remember some people dissapointed by the Energon Gestalt's new hands and feets (do you remember?) and that was a new aproach, and so is this movie.

Personally, every time I see the movie sketches and toy prototype pics, the more I love it. I like Blackout's' decepticon logo ' face and his neck-missiles, Strascream arms-guns ( yeah, even the chiken-legs! ), Prime's whatitseems double-cannon gun and Scorponock. I like the new aproach of cables and servos the movie is doing with the robot modes and I'm anxious to see the robot modes of the other Autobots and Deceps, like Ratchet, Jazz and especially Ironhide and Barricade!!!! And Brawl!

Imagine how these new TFs will move on the screen, talking and fighting and destroying...

P.S: hey, it's me or Starscream has a beard and a moustache???????

BlueSkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-19, 11:14 PM   #26
Knightdramon
Primus

York, UK

Quote:

Honestly, though, with all the posturing and 'piss in your face' attitudes of the so-called 'fans'
That line describes your previous comments pretty accurately. Why is it that people [not limiting it to you or this board] bash this movie even before an actual trailer is released? We've yet to see a single of those characters in action! Who's telling us that chicken-legged Starscream [btw, Binaltech Smokescreen has a very similiar look that's required for him to stand up] won't look totally badass in a fully animated action scene?

Or perhaps fans would prefer toys like the ones from the previous movie? How about a badass Rodimus with two points of articulation? We've only seen 3 prototypes so far, and none of them is depicted in a) full colour and b) in both modes. Heck, Starscream could even be mistransformed for all we know.

And it's about time we got something original. How many damned times in the previous years have we been served robot after robot after robot with minor differences\being a direct homage? Soundwave, Prime, Megatron, Starscream and others have been served to us numerous times and while the appearance was different, the essence of the design was the same.

It's been twenty years of releases, re-issues, re-tellings, more re-issues, special re-issues, new year re-issues, homage lines [alternators], lines for collectors [masterpiece] and...you guessed it...more re-issues. Call it THS, Dreamwave comics, Masterpiece or G1, I'm sick and tired of seeing the same Prime all the time.

And about the line being only 13 toys? Nifty. We'll probably see some as titaniums, but the actual movie toys are what matters. No more 40+ toys in a line.

-Irrelevant to the rest but..."Incinerator" seems like the easiest of a bunch to implement on a transforming figure. How's Bumblebee and Prime going to be fully transformable and accurate?

Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Knightdramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-19, 11:22 PM   #27
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
[B]That line describes your previous comments pretty accurately. Why is it that people [not limiting it to you or this board] bash this movie even before an actual trailer is released?
I'm basing my opinion on the things that have leaked or been released, and the track-records of those actually who have been involved on the project. It's not like I was all "This movie could have been awesome if Bumblebee was a bug!".. that would be stupid.

It's the script, the casting, the production team, etc.. there's been a heavily slip-shod handling of the movie project since it was announced. And, to top it all off, MTV just played an 'interview' bit which said, expressly, that this is G1 on the big screen again... And, of course, we know it's not! (Not that I ever expected or clamoured for such) Why be so misleading?

Quote:
And it's about time we got something original. How many damned times in the previous years have we been served robot after robot after robot with minor differences\being a direct homage?
If people want Optimus Prime, there are expectations on that name. Want a new leader, get Dai Atlas. You're arguing to be original.. then, sure, go for it. I've even said to do that. But if you're going to cling to nostalgia to sell the movie.. well, that's a double-edged sword.

Quote:
And about the line being only 13 toys? Nifty. We'll probably see some as titaniums, but the actual movie toys are what matters. No more 40+ toys in a line.
Actually, having a few of the better ones in Titanium would make a lot more sense... would be a lot easier from a marketing standpoint. (And, hell, you could pad out Titanium for six months that way, easily).

Quote:
How's Bumblebee and Prime going to be fully transformable and accurate?
Prime's missing parts, but can sort-of get to his alt mode. Bumblebee just can't. Way too much missing, such as the tires. Odd that we've been hit over the head with 'realism' so often, and yet two iconic figures don't seem capable of actually transforming - at least in their pure movie forms.

Old 2006-08-19, 11:23 PM   #28
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Quote:
To me, and I'm speaking only for me, the movie - right now - looks like utter crap, and the toys don't look like anything I'll want to pick up. That's just me. I'm entitled to that opinion.
It's your believe that we're entitled to it and not allowed to disagree that causes the friction, especially when you keep making up stuff to back up arguments (as you did just then), and are basically posting the same thing over and over again. You don't like the way the movie is developing. We get it, Monotone Man. I don't like Cybertron. Therefore, I rarely venture into Cybertron-related threads. It really, really is that simple.

Quote:
Honestly, though, with all the posturing and 'piss in your face' attitudes of the so-called 'fans' around, maybe a **** movie and a dead line for a few years is really what the fandom actually needs.
Yeh, hear that everyone. Anyone using logic (e.g. "Let's wait until we've seen the movie before we dig its' grave") instead of blind babbling (e.g. "That arm is a travesty. This is WORSE THAN GOBOTS I HOPE MICHAEL BAY GETS CANCER AFTER BEING BUM-RAPED BY HITLER'S ZOMBIE CORPSE!") isn't really a fan. Basically, all the Transformers fans out there deserve to lose any future lines, because we haven't all taken up arms and overthrown EVIL Murphy, and installed a talented bloke like Don "What are Transformers again? Were they the ones with the Power of Grayskull?" Glut in his place.

Yeh, fun when someone makes up what you're saying, isn't it? Dickhead.

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-19, 11:46 PM   #29
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Right, because the 'we should be thankful and all is happy and bliss until the movie comes out - or SHUT UP AND DIE' argument is so beneficial, right Cliffy? (No one cares if I'm alive, and all that...) The 'Gestapo Fandom'... heh.

You're fully allowed to disagree with me, I've never said you weren't. But try actually doing that instead of.. oh, I dunno, constantly flaming me and even giving veiled threats on my life sometime, and maybe things will cheer up and have less piss and vinegar, eh?

Old 2006-08-19, 11:58 PM   #30
Cliffjumper
Cellar Door

Talking

"Veiled threats on my life"

Go on, find me that one. I think I said words to the effect that no-one on this board would be bothered if you were dead, which I think is probably a fair statement. How that translates to a threat on you life, I don't know, but it's my best guess. But then, you do have a habit of making stuff up, so, well, I'm sure you believe I said it, and I suppose that's important to you.

When did I say 'we should be thankful and all is happy and bliss until the movie comes out - or SHUT UP AND DIE'? I said we should wait and see... How is it wrong to say we should all be happy (which I haven't been, but maybe if we introduce you to truth and logic by some sort of piecemeal system, we'll get somewhere, so there we go), but okay to say it's going to suck and be the death knell for Transformers? How does that work?

Cliffjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 12:10 AM   #31
Ravage
Primus

In the depths of blackest Hell. Or just Vermont

Going back on topic.

Starscream looks some what cool. My question is what the **** is up with the faces. I thought Transtech died off years ago and with good reason. Those faces and the techno crap on the Transformers look like ass.

The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Ravage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 12:15 AM   #32
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally posted by Ravage
Going back on topic.

Starscream looks some what cool. My question is what the **** is up with the faces. I thought Transtech died off years ago and with good reason. Those faces and the techno crap on the Transformers look like ass.
Odd thing that they did it to Bumblebee, the guy that people are supposed to get the connection to... The 'cons I can almost see if we're supposed to be 'scared' of their monstrous forms.. but why are the Autobots ALSO monstrous, then? Are we not supposed to like or relate to any Transformers?

Old 2006-08-20, 12:27 AM   #33
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Lightbulb

The one thing that really grates about the Transformers' fandom is that whenver something new pops up that people don't like, it's the end of the franchise because it erases every bit that's come before it, thus leaving only the new, horrible thing for forever and contiuum..

There's always other bits of the brand scattered about different media at any one time. It's not like people aren't allowed to choose one over another. If people would just focus on the things they like and be positive, it'd make the whole get-together seem a lot cheerier.

Anyway...

Quote:
Mongoose
These things look so much like the Transtech art. Someone's said this before, and finally seeing the headsculpts makes me want to say it again.
I was thinking just the same thing! The movie Starscream looks spookily similar to the Transtech sketches.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 12:44 AM   #34
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally posted by Clay
The one thing that really grates about the Transformers' fandom is that whenver something new pops up that people don't like, it's the end of the franchise because it erases every bit that's come before it, thus leaving only the new, horrible thing for forever and contiuum..

I don't think that's quite as true now. Certainly when Beast Machines it was a worry, but American fans had only, really, the 'one' continium until that time. The idea of Tenchi-style multiple 'universes' hadn't hit yet.

As I said, I'm worried that the movie's quality will be a franchise killer, and that there may not be enough momentum now to have it recover.. but it's a tough call. Truth be told, though, the fandom needs a two year break from itself, still.

Quote:
If people would just focus on the things they like and be positive, it'd make the whole get-together seem a lot cheerier.
There's a lot of demand, still, to be the 'big penis' in the fandom. I think that Glen's fall dissuaded a lot of that, but you still see the terms 'important fans' and 'true fans' thrown around a lot.

Quote:
I was thinking just the same thing! The movie Starscream looks spookily similar to the Transtech sketches.
There's some simularities, to be sure. (I had to double-take when I saw a head that looked like the Decepticon Transtech sigil!). I still think that the '1975 GM assembly robot' look is a mistake, though.

Old 2006-08-20, 01:07 AM   #35
Clay
"I've done better and got over it."

Murray, KY
Smile

Quote:
There's some simularities, to be sure. (I had to double-take when I saw a head that looked like the Decepticon Transtech sigil!). I still think that the '1975 GM assembly robot' look is a mistake, though.
I dunno - I think that's what they need to look like to be believable. For the first time, the Transformers brand is going to be a fiction spawning a toyline instead of the other way around.

Given that, big transforming alien robots from beyond the stars aren't going to have aesthetic reference points to what humans think are pretty.

They've obviously got some armor over their bits since they've assumedly been fighting a civil war. The big difference between Transformers, which are independantly functioning, stand-alone beings and something like a Gundam, which is basically a giant suit of armor, is that they had no input in their development from humans (in the fiction), which is why they shouldn't have human body types/appearances.

It's a bit like the old cliche of "why do all aliens in the movies look like people in alien suits?" With this new Transformer movie, the mechs are mostly CGI and big mechanical puppets (apparently), so there's no reason to make them look biologically recognizable unless prescribed by the story itself, which actually demands the exact opposite.

And if the movie's direction is not to your liking, just buy up the Classics line. That's what variety's for.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 01:13 AM   #36
Ford DeceptiFocus

Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffjumper
"Veiled threats on my life"

Go on, find me that one. I think I said words to the effect that no-one on this board would be bothered if you were dead,
I would be. And that's not a nice thing to say. Vangaurd generally has good points and opinions that I respect. Guys these are toys to have fun with and discuss like gentlemen--not get all riled up about.

Till All Are Drunk with the Matrix!
Ford DeceptiFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 01:24 AM   #37
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally posted by Clay
[B]I dunno - I think that's what they need to look like to be believable. For the first time, the Transformers brand is going to be a fiction spawning a toyline instead of the other way around.
Second time, actually. The first time was... the first movie. The movie designs were first, then the toys were made.

As for being believable, that's a harder claim. The exposed joints, etc, are LESS believable to me. The US military does better at protecting vital joints on heavy military equipment now. The very 1970s tech piping and joints look rediculously archaic to me, particularly when you consider that these robots also MORPH at points.

Quote:
Given that, big transforming alien robots from beyond the stars aren't going to have aesthetic reference points to what humans think are pretty.
True, but that's when you start thinking "Transformers or other alien robots of death movie?" . And, remember, one thing that makes Transformers unique is that the audience is supposed to empathize with the robots themselves... of course, that's not what this script is doing, I guess.

Quote:
And if the movie's direction is not to your liking, just buy up the Classics line. That's what variety's for.
The Classics line has confused me with its miniconness.

Old 2006-08-20, 02:52 AM   #38
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

I'm pretty convinced that this movie can do no worse to the franchise than the last.

It says a lot about Hasbro and Paramount's faith in this concept. I'm pretty sure that this flick will not nail the coffin closed on transformers, but instead create a lager market.

Come on and wind me up.
another tf fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 03:03 AM   #39
Darclipto

Um... this may be a silly question but why do people think that Transformers is going to die off? Is it not still hugely popular?

Darclipto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 03:24 AM   #40
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally posted by Darclipto
Um... this may be a silly question but why do people think that Transformers is going to die off? Is it not still hugely popular?
Yes and no. The toys are doing well, but the fiction is in the absolute popularity gutter at the moment (seriously, only the G1 comic is doing well, really). That means that, the moment another 'better' toy line comes out (IE, one that captures the kids again), the moment Transformers suffers.

That means the movie is a pretty big risk, all around.

But, like I said, long-lasting lines CAN reinvent themselves every few years, so even if the Transformers movie bombs, it WILL be back eventually. I just don't know how long the gap will be.