Maybe the fiction is in the gutter right now because the show is so terrible

Darclipto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 03:41 AM   #42
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally posted by Darclipto
Maybe the fiction is in the gutter right now because the show is so terrible
Yep. And it's characters and branding that tend to move toys, and not neccessarily the quality of the toy itself. I don't think that the Transformers brand means enough quality for things to keep going as they are - which is likely why we're seeing decline as well as a LOT of focus on 'classic' nostalgia. (Beast Wars, Classics, a new movie, etc)

Jaynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 12:39 PM   #43
Ravage
Primus

In the depths of blackest Hell. Or just Vermont

What bugs me is how this Movie/Toyline was suppose to be similar to the Transformers we know and love. Ok the Alt modes are great but what crack where the designers smoking to come up with the **** ass robot modes.

Honestly, if so many people are hot and bothered by it make a petition to boycot it. Hell I am 50/50 in terms of wanting to see the movie now.

The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Ravage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 02:04 PM   #44
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

It's obvious they went for the 'Robots in Disguise' premise, and out of the two modes, the robot one was sacrificable.

I just wish they wouldn't have gone for ridicilously complex transformations like they seem to have. I happen to like vehicle mode kibble.

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 02:48 PM   #45
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

so far the robots look awesome, i don't know why the bionicle look is so hated. Have any of you seen Blackout? Thats the most evil looking Decepticon ever.

Bumblebee is a lil wuss but Blackout is so badass that i can forgive it.

I like the look of robots with car parts on them, Like all transformers before. Even these more organic looking robots with car parts on them look good and I don't understand all the hatin' goin on.

Forget about the rest of transformers and take these robots as they are. Does anybody really think these robots look bad? If so did you also think predator looked bad? How about the alien in alien? I could go on but im sure you all know what im saying...Thes robots are cool and the toys are cool and it's way cool that a movie is being made to please a fandom of a fiction and toy that has been more underground than mainstream since it's inception.

Like I said earlier, Transformers are receiving a shot in the arm with this movie and a new generation will discover the brilliance of Robots In Disguise.

Come on and wind me up.
another tf fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 03:10 PM   #46
BlueSkids
Rookie father

Certainly not in Cybertron... I need air.
Red face

Boycot the movie? No way!

BlueSkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 03:22 PM   #47
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Yes, I think the robots look bad... for Transformers.

I love chocolate, too. But when I order a pizza, I'm not too fond of having chocolate as the main sauce, either. Some things are appropriate, some things aren't.

Old 2006-08-20, 03:39 PM   #48
another tf fan
I'm your freak-a-zoid

USA

man, i knew what you were gonna say, vangaurd. I coulda written your post for you.

Its ok, you have your opinion....

care to write it down anymore?

Vangaurd, if you made the designs for the movie how many Alternators would you copy?

Come on and wind me up.
another tf fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 04:19 PM   #49
Halfshell
Magical Truthsaying Turtle

Don't complain to me. I don't care.
Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Darclipto
Um... this may be a silly question but why do people think that Transformers is going to die off?
Because they dared to change it.

And we all know that the only reason Transformers has stayed phenomenally popular is because it's exactly the same now as it was in 1984. The characters, the animation, the toys - the exact same as they were when the line was originally launched.

It's true.

Okay, all the facts indicate differently, and logic would dictate that it's survived by adapting to changing audiences and stuff like that, but TFVanguard has been on the internet since before it was invented, and he thinks these things so they must be true.

There are certain fans out there who'd only be happy if the movie was a complete and utter rehash of the Gen 1 cartoon and toyline. But then of course they'd complain that the toys were rubbish, so they should be updated with modern designs... but then obviously they're different to what they were in 1984 and, as such, evil and wrong and blasphemous.

It's odd that I'm typing this as a reply to a Darclipto post... being as it's an example of the people out there who really do take the whole thing far to seriously.

Halfshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 06:17 PM   #50
Tetsuro
One with the Matrix

Suomi Finland Perkele

I'm relatively open-minded about Transformers. I may not like all the design choices, but they were made and there isn't much I can do about it.And you know, unlike the rest of the "Trukk not Munky" crowd, I'm not bothered by the Primal aspect as is as I am by the "mammals good, reptiles evil" cliche. Yeah yeah, I know there were the dinobots, but Megatron was still a dragon. And I happen to LIKE dragons.

And yes, I do dislike the Bionicle-look.

Tetsuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 07:43 PM   #51
Zisteau
smoldering red eyeballs

Italy until December

I think Prime should be a bit stockier, but besides that these look really good.

Quote:
Originally posted by TFVanguard
Right, because the 'we should be thankful and all is happy and bliss until the movie comes out - or SHUT UP AND DIE' argument is so beneficial, right Cliffy? (No one cares if I'm alive, and all that...) The 'Gestapo Fandom'... heh.

You're fully allowed to disagree with me, I've never said you weren't. But try actually doing that instead of.. oh, I dunno, constantly flaming me and even giving veiled threats on my life sometime, and maybe things will cheer up and have less piss and vinegar, eh?

All I hear when you post is "THE END IS NIGH!!!! THE END IS NIGH!!!!"

Zisteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 10:26 PM   #52
jhlucas

Mississippi, USA

The only prototype that is really disappointing to me is Starscream. He's all torso and no legs, not to mention the head mold! (The Starscream design sketch that leaked several months ago was dead-on.)

Blackout (or whatever the hell his name is--Incinerator?) looks excellent.

I would have preferred a more streamlined design for all the characters, if for no other reason than to have the toys actually be able to transform. I guess Hasbro could attempt turning this into an advantage by offering a "robot mode" and an "alt. mode" toy for each character.

Who knows? Maybe it will turn out that the toys can transform.

jhlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 10:37 PM   #53
jhlucas

Mississippi, USA

Just took a closer look at the Starscram mold. There's definitely a ball-joint on his shoulder, and it looks like there are some joints on the tail section of Blackout, so maybe Denyer is correct and they will be able to transform.

I'd probably buy Blackout even if he can't change modes. That's a sweet, sweet mold!

Old 2006-08-20, 10:48 PM   #54
T.V.

The toys can definitely transform.

All the leaked protos so far are entirely mechanically viable.
Just for the ingenuity I praise the design team.

That said, I like the aesthetics also, even though they aren't really ringing true of earlier incarnations of some of the characters.

Ah...forget it!
T.V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-20, 11:04 PM   #55
jhlucas

Mississippi, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by T.V.
The toys can definitely transform.

Old 2006-08-21, 12:06 AM   #56
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
All I hear when you post is "THE END IS NIGH!!!! THE END IS NIGH!!!!"
Well, one thing's for sure... the fandom would certainly deserve it.

Old 2006-08-21, 01:15 AM   #57
Sociopathic Autobot
I'm ****ing Matt Damon

I'm ****ing Ben Affleck
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by TFVanguard
Well, one thing's for sure... the fandom would certainly deserve it.
Just you.

SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Sociopathic Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-21, 05:13 AM   #58
T.V.

Quote:
Originally posted by jhlucas
What goes where:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/...ps+sort%3Atime

Ah...forget it!
T.V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-21, 05:26 AM   #59
Mikotron

Edinboro,Pennsylvania usa

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tetsuro
[B]It's obvious they went for the 'Robots in Disguise' premise

If this is true then why have Scorponok? Not like he is gonna crawl around looking like a normal scorpion.

Ba weep granna weep ninni - BONG
Mikotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-21, 05:27 AM   #60
Jaynz
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
care to write it down anymore?
If I have to, since some people are reading things into my opinion that I did not, in fact, say.

Quote:
Vangaurd, if you made the designs for the movie how many Alternators would you copy?
Not that simple. Alternators wouldn't be a bad start for the Autobots, though. My basic problem with the design is really the exposed wires, piping, etc - which are all 1970s robotic look (think GM assembly). Our military NOW has better armored joints that that.. hell, construction vehicles are better than that.

I would actually use a lot more of the 'realistic' mecha designs from current anime shows (such as FMP!, etc) to handle the joints. They seem to have nailed it a lot better.

These just look... archaic, really. Not so much 'alien' to me.